PDA

View Full Version : JIC Magic FLT-A2

ConeCrazy02
11-05-2002, 11:05 PM
Who is planning to buy this?

Pros:
The shock body is shorter (allowing full suspension travel with dropped look), 15 level of adjustment, pillow ball upper mount, linear spring rate 448lb/in front and 504lb/in rear, monotube design (50mm piston size) suitable for racing temperature, comes with all the mount for your brake lines and stuff.

Cons:
$1980

K20ACTR
11-06-2002, 12:27 AM
Where did you find these? I wasn't aware that JIC has made any dampers for our EP's yet. Those are the coilovers I've been waiting for!

yomamaInMySi
11-06-2002, 06:51 AM
They do make them, but you have to modify your car a little. You have to get new tie rod ends from the RSX, and you have to shave off some of the rear body shock of the JIC kit. That's it. You can get them from JIC in CA (actually their distributor in the US). There's a guy here that's putting them on soon, just wait 'til he's done and he'll post what needs to be done.

ConeCrazy02
11-06-2002, 01:22 PM
http://jic-magic.com/suspension/flta2.asp.

Click on the application guide, the one specified for the EP model will be available in the couple of month. If you cant wait, then you can always go with the flt a2 for the rsx with slight modification.

I also emailed jic magic usa, that is what they told me so...

ConeCrazy02
11-06-2002, 01:25 PM
I like to add...
I think this is like the best suspension for the price, topping tein/buddy club/zeal/apex.

yomamaInMySi
11-06-2002, 01:29 PM
...and B&G, Tokico, H&R, Koni (yes they'll make a coil over too), Progress and so on

K20ACTR
11-06-2002, 01:39 PM
Does anyone know anything about the B+G coilovers/dampers?

yomamaInMySi
11-06-2002, 01:44 PM
Don't know much about them other than they're european and they have a two spring design. Basically a progressive style set up. I'm going to try B&G, they tell me that it does not need to be modify to fit our cars, and if it does then they can take those fucking shocks and shove them because I will not alter anything. You may also want to try KW, they have a kit specially made for the EP with both rebound and height adjustability. Tein needs to be modify, H&R don't make a kit yet, or Koni or tokico or Progress etc. There's virtually no manufacturer out there that has a kit specific for the EP other than KW suspension, but the problem is that they don't have them in stock.

yomamaInMySi
11-06-2002, 01:45 PM
Oh one more thing, while Tein advertises a kit specifically made for the EP, it's not in stock either (yet).

nikkotyper
11-06-2002, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by yomamaInMySi
Oh one more thing, while Tein advertises a kit specifically made for the EP, it's not in stock either (yet).

Last time I checked, they had an SS kit for all 2001+ civic with some crapy spring rates: 336f/448r which might be OK for a regular civic but not too great for an SI.

CleanBlackSi02
11-06-2002, 05:46 PM
I liked the post.....until I got to the cons. That's a great sounding product though. Maybe I'll add it to my long term list.

yomamaInMySi
11-07-2002, 11:11 AM
Nikko, to fit the SS tein you have to do some modification. Nothing big. This is what I've heard from Fizz, from Tein, from Torn etc. They don't make a SS kit specifically for the EP3, at least not yet.

yomamaInMySi
11-07-2002, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by CleanBlackSi02
I liked the post.....until I got to the cons. That's a great sounding product though. Maybe I'll add it to my long term list.

Do you mean to your "Maybe some time in the future (very distant one)" list?:D

nikkotyper
11-07-2002, 11:25 AM
Nikko, to fit the SS tein you have to do some modification. Nothing big. This is what I've heard from Fizz, from Tein, from Torn etc. They don't make a SS kit specifically for the EP3, at least not yet.

Sure. The kit for 2k1 Civics will fit but the spring rates suck.
Let's hope that the SI SS kit has better spring rates.

Also, a friend of mine has a JIC CO kit and it is very light (made out of Al) - much lighter than TIEN which he has on another car. Light is good. Price is bad...

yomamaInMySi
11-07-2002, 11:28 AM
Does he have the kit installed on an EP3 or other car? Also if he did installed it on an EP3, did he tell you what need to be modified?

CleanBlackSi02
11-07-2002, 12:43 PM

Do you mean to your "Maybe some time in the future (very distant one)" list?:D
Yeah...this is going on the list after the JRSC and 100 shot on all aftermarket engine internals... Needless to say...awhile away. Great product though!

ConeCrazy02
11-07-2002, 06:34 PM
If stiffier spring rates are what you looking for, just replace them with custom ones. Price no biggy, 50mm monotube design cost a lot more than the 40mm (or less) twin tube.

nikkotyper
11-07-2002, 11:27 PM
Does he have the kit installed on an EP3 or other car? Also if he did installed it on an EP3, did he tell you what need to be modified?

Not on EP3.

hamlet9634
07-18-2003, 03:41 PM
for anyone that's interested, I have a set of these installed on my EP3

the modifications needed were a set of RSX tie rod ends $70 on the front end, and you had to grind the attatchment point of the struts where they line up with the stock parts themselves. I didn't do the grinding, but JIC swears it's really easy and they did it for me.

the suspension is amazing really. The ride is completely smooth. The struts are perfect, with no extra bounces when you hit a bump. Perfectly damped. The springs should probably be a bit stiffer in the rear, as the car understeers a bit too much as is, but I'm pretty sure JIC will swap out the springs if you ask them to.

the suspension feel is amazing. The car was completely changed. It feels like a $40K sports car now (not just stiff like you get with lowering springs, but a wholly changed ride). And I've not once bottomed out.

by the way, I drive in brooklyn = pothole city, USA.. and I have no problems.

downsides = price and availability of replacement parts. Also, JIC is not particularly good about customer service, so expect them to be kinda snobby to you.

BlasTech
10-10-2003, 03:25 PM
OK, now Im looking into the JICs and there is some more info I've collected so far:

The JIC representative told me the front struts weighed about 9.5 lbs each, so the rears should be about 9 or so lbs too. That sounds fishy to me, since the Tien rep weighed his entire Flex Kit at 63 lbs, that means the JICs are 25 lbs lighter??? Hmmm. I'd like to know if thats true or not.

Concerning the price, the JIC EPFLTA2 kit (supposed to be for the EP) is listed at 1890, but most places will take 1700 or so, jsut shop around.

I agree about the rear springs seeming soft, so JIC will replace the 9kg rears with anything up to 25kg for $89 per corner.

I need some input from any folks concerning the weights of the JICs and the Tein Flexs, as thats the one big factor we have to compare two otherwise great kits with!

hamlet9634
10-10-2003, 06:35 PM
after driving around with these coilovers for a while, i still love them for daily driving and spirited driving..

i think i may have to swap out the rear springs for stiffer ones, though.. despite a thicker rear roll bar and stock front bar, i think the car understeers too much on the autox track..

will be calling JIC soon.. hope it won't be too hard to swap out myself.. eek