PDA

View Full Version : Poll: sealed or ported?

silver hatch
04-20-2008, 10:38 AM
What do you think is better?

az-epdrvr
04-20-2008, 10:43 AM
single 8" ported works for me

silver hatch
04-20-2008, 02:06 PM
single 8" ported works for me

What kind of sub do you have? I have two 12's in a vented box and wouldn't mind a little more bass.

MR.Pizza
04-20-2008, 02:17 PM
I always liked the response of a sealed subwoofer however in my car the bandpass seems to perform well.

ohdamngetit
04-20-2008, 02:26 PM
2 10" in a band-pass works for me

Breakep3
04-20-2008, 02:28 PM
General Rule:

Ported for Rap/Techno

Sealed for Rock/Metal

Tnhatch03
04-20-2008, 02:33 PM
mine was ported.

it was THA BOMB!

kokopuffs405
04-20-2008, 02:35 PM
ported definetly

its alot loader.... if thats what your looking for

Princess
04-20-2008, 02:35 PM
Whichever the manufacturer recommends. I'll go with the factory specs.

RON
04-21-2008, 06:29 AM
This is a loaded question! All subs are different. I like sealed setups but I currently running a ported box (because that is what was needed). SQ > SPL

Chad
04-21-2008, 07:23 AM
General Rule:

Ported for Rap/Techno

Sealed for Rock/Metal

That's a very common mis-conception that came about from people putting any-ol driver in a premade vented box. A proper vented enclosure can totally retiain control and SQ leaving a nice flat anechoic response while PWNing a sealed enclosure in terms of low end extension and efficiency, You kist gotta build it right :D

I was thinking about writing something up about this and may do so this/next week with some examples as to how it works in easy to understand terminology.

Breakep3
04-21-2008, 07:39 AM
That's a very common mis-conception that came about from people putting any-ol driver in a premade vented box. A proper vented enclosure can totally retiain control and SQ leaving a nice flat anechoic response while PWNing a sealed enclosure in terms of low end extension and efficiency, You kist gotta build it right :D

I was thinking about writing something up about this and may do so this/next week with some examples as to how it works in easy to understand terminology.

You fail to realize that somewhere of about 95% of all sub boxes are premade of the cheapest materials, thus for that reason.

Rap=ported
Rock=sealed

IDEALLY, a fiberglass box of your choosing made custom for you, but not everybody has 300 dollars to throw away on something like that.

Chad
04-21-2008, 08:40 AM
You fail to realize that somewhere of about 95% of all sub boxes are premade of the cheapest materials, thus for that reason.

Rap=ported
Rock=sealed

IDEALLY, a fiberglass box of your choosing made custom for you, but not everybody has 300 dollars to throw away on something like that.

But it's a catch 22, I'd rather see the vented used for rock, where it's most likely tuned. You are not gong to see much sub 35 cycle information in many rock recordings barring a few artists (Korn and Manson come to mind)

Problem arises that with the rap community wanting to push recorded frequencies lower and lower that the common pre made box will be completely un-loaded at the frequencies used in many modern rap recordings and the enclosure will exhibit little to no control over the cone, a sure fire recipie for mechanical driver failure.

If you can cut 6 peices of MDF straight, have the T/S parameters of the driver, and are willing to learn, I will be more than happy to help you properly build and tune a PROPER vented enclosure that is not "genere specific"

Chad

SPAM&RICE
04-21-2008, 08:48 AM
check speakers for box specifications is your best bet. I like band pass boxes they seems to be the lowest bass I can get out of a box, my .002

az-epdrvr
04-21-2008, 08:49 AM
What kind of sub do you have? I have two 12's in a vented box and wouldn't mind a little more bass.

8 '' kickr comp w 800w pioneer , i like a simple thump

SiN05
04-21-2008, 09:08 AM
Better response, tighter sound and smaller enclosure

Blue03Si
04-21-2008, 08:23 PM
General Rule:

Ported for Rap/Techno

Sealed for Rock/Metal

WORD! SEALED FTW!

tdman77
04-21-2008, 10:20 PM
A ported box tuned to the subwoofers specs is the best way to go. I have had my JL 12W7 in both a sealed and ported box, and having built a ported box to JL's specs it sounds so much better. The bass is tight with CCR or SRV and thumps with Lil John. (JL and Rockford Fosgate both recommend using a ported box. I think they are the experts here.)

But b4 you worry about your box, have you matched the sub to a good amp and done the Big 3 under the hood? The best setup ain't worth crap if the wiring sucks.

72chevel
04-22-2008, 10:31 AM
what do the high end sq players use? I always thought Sealed was best for SQ.

Chad
04-22-2008, 11:06 AM
what do the high end sq players use? I always thought Sealed was best for SQ.

Lil bit of everything, not really bandpass but sealed, vented (ported), and IB (Infinite Baffle) are all very common

bchaney
04-22-2008, 12:42 PM
Vented and ported are the same thing except for the shape of the hole. Ported has tubing as well but the bottom line is that they sound the same.

I voted sealed, it's great for tight bass.

Chad
04-22-2008, 12:51 PM
Vented and ported are the same thing except for the shape of the hole. Ported has tubing as well but the bottom line is that they sound the same.

I voted sealed, it's great for tight bass.

Vented and ported are the exact same thing regardless of the shape of the hole, just different words, it's all a 4th order allignment and they can have any shape hole as long as the internal volume of the air column is the same.

tdman77
04-22-2008, 09:48 PM
When I competed in SQ. I used an isobaric setup with 2 12s. For those who dont know what that is, the subs are mounted facing each other. Like a push/pull setup. One sub is connected 180deg out of phase to the other. Thsi setup produces very hard hitting tight bass and usually requires only about 1/2 the airspace required for only one speaker. If I had the bucks I would do the same with my system, but one 12W7 is all my budget will allow.

xsimplistikaznx
04-22-2008, 11:09 PM
Better response, tighter sound and smaller enclosure

i couldn't agree anymore. ported is cool, but i like sealed!

Chad
04-23-2008, 05:56 AM
When I competed in SQ. I used an isobaric setup with 2 12s. For those who dont know what that is, the subs are mounted facing each other. Like a push/pull setup. One sub is connected 180deg out of phase to the other. Thsi setup produces very hard hitting tight bass and usually requires only about 1/2 the airspace required for only one speaker. If I had the bucks I would do the same with my system, but one 12W7 is all my budget will allow.

I had an isobaric sub also in the late 80's / early 90's. They really were tits in that the enclosure can be tiny... by standards those days. Mine was even vented! That was a trip squeezing all that vent into the enclosure!

Now that there are drivers out (much like your JL) that have very powerful motors, increased cone strength, and high powerhandling the isobaric fizzled. Take the DIYMA12 (and the dayton line) for example, it only needs 3.-.4 CuFt for an allignment of .7Qtc, witht he size of the DIYMA motor that's darn near the distance to the back of the motor and the cutout for the driver! Just don't see many isobaric configs these days.

CajunSi
04-23-2008, 08:20 AM
I am running a 12" Kicker CVR in a single bandpass with a Nitro 1000 watt amp. Sounds pretty good to me. It is really all about factory specs and what you want.

1fast03ep
04-23-2008, 11:09 AM
I've used bandpass and sealed. I have seen correctly sized sealed enclosures that would run circles around bandpass. I have seen a pair of Orion 8's in a sealed enclosure that would blur your vision!

CajunSi
04-24-2008, 09:42 AM
I've used bandpass and sealed. I have seen correctly sized sealed enclosures that would run circles around bandpass. I have seen a pair of Orion 8's in a sealed enclosure that would blur your vision!

True. Alot of the time it depends on how the box is built.

72chevel
04-24-2008, 10:41 AM

I had an isobaric sub also in the late 80's / early 90's. They really were tits in that the enclosure can be tiny... by standards those days. Mine was even vented! That was a trip squeezing all that vent into the enclosure!

Now that there are drivers out (much like your JL) that have very powerful motors, increased cone strength, and high powerhandling the isobaric fizzled. Take the DIYMA12 (and the dayton line) for example, it only needs 3.-.4 CuFt for an allignment of .7Qtc, witht he size of the DIYMA motor that's darn near the distance to the back of the motor and the cutout for the driver! Just don't see many isobaric configs these days.

I have like 12 years of Car audio and Electonics in my basement I remember the early 90's they had alot of discussions about isobaric. Back then I wanted to do 4 12" kicker comps 2 per enclosure mounted face to face but never did. When I bought my ep the whole audio system was missing so I have been looking for just the right thing to go back in the car. Would isobaric work for todays 12" Alpine type R?

Chad
04-24-2008, 10:47 AM
I have like 12 years of Car audio and Electonics in my basement I remember the early 90's they had alot of discussions about isobaric. Back then I wanted to do 4 12" kicker comps 2 per enclosure mounted face to face but never did. When I bought my ep the whole audio system was missing so I have been looking for just the right thing to go back in the car. Would isobaric work for todays 12" Alpine type R?

Yes and no, It would be less effcinet than a single driver in a proper airspace for the given power (remember you are not getting any summing from using the two drivers this way) The Type R is pretty happy in a small enclosure isn't it? I'd rock one and see, then if it's not enough look into another plan.

Chad

Chad
04-24-2008, 11:03 AM

That's a great answer.

In theory we are literally using a bandpass now! The driver/enclosure has a natural roll-off and we attenuate the high frequencies with a crossover in a logarithmic fashion.

Difference is that most band pass enclosures that are small enough to fit in a compact car have a very narrow bandwidth thus causing their efficiency to concentrated to a VERY small area of the spectrum. As you increase the size of a bandpass and/or make it more complex with more vented chambers it's bandwidth gets wider and wider thus making it very much like an extremely efficient vented enclosure and a crossover.

Check out Decware's Housewrecker and some of the Pro audio bandpass enclosures, they are HUGE but have a broad bandwidth and when properly processed and powered can double as birth control :mcool:

jdmrace1
04-27-2008, 10:41 PM
sealed !

1fast03ep
04-28-2008, 07:45 AM

Absolutely! One of the best sounding (loudest) boxes I ever had was a sealed box made from 3/4 MDF in which 3 drivers (1 15" Kicker Comp and 2 8" Kicker Comps) shared the same airspace. It suprised a lot of people at a local sound competition, I was running in the 50-100 watt class (punch 45HD for the subs and a 50 watt Pioneer amp for the rear speakers)

03Si757
04-28-2008, 01:07 PM
Iv worked in a Car audio shop for a little while a few years back and I came to realize after the many sub installs that a sealed CUSTOM enclosure is the best way to go, Now you wont get the high amount of bass if thats what your looking for, but the sound quality of the bass is alot more noticeable. Thats just my .02 from what I hear with my ears.

I voted Sealed.

SICaudio
05-02-2008, 04:41 PM
Another vote for sealed however you gotta love a properly tuned ported box...

kaisertj
05-05-2008, 11:30 AM
Custom sealed built to the sub hands down. Bandpass sounds like pure shit, its sloppy, the bass lags, and have not heard a single sub that sounds better in a bandpass over a sealed or ported enclosure. Only good if you have a shitty sub trying to make it sound louder (typical of those idiots who want everyone else to hear them more then sound quality) Stick with sealed or ported/slotted. Box build is very important, build to the sub specs whenever possible, so many subs out there are completely mis-matched to a good enclosure. Many buy a good sub and cheap out on the enclosure. Without sound quality its just noise.

sprockin
05-23-2008, 11:33 AM
Check out Decware's Housewrecker :mcool:

Wow, I haven't heard about them in a while. I built their Wicked One box to put in an S10 years ago. These guys really know what they are doing. Four crap Pioneer DVC 12's in ~300 lb. Decware box = 152db on ~400 rated watts. I also used to hide all of my alcohol in the vent, cops never checked.

benkieboy
05-23-2008, 01:00 PM
i would say ported = SQ and sealed = SPL

james04si
05-23-2008, 02:09 PM
i would say ported = SQ and sealed = SPL

I think you have it backwards. typically sq vehicles are sealed and the spl vehicles are always ported. thats not saying that there are not great sq vehicles that are ported but you will be hard pressed to find a successful spl vehicle on the circuit that is not ported

shanewdude
05-23-2008, 02:14 PM
I voted the way Chad did... mine is sealed and I like it alot, but Chad really knows his stuff and I know next to nothing about it all.

Teejay
05-25-2008, 09:06 AM
I have a small vented enclosure with a 10" alpasonik 400series sub dual 4ohm voice coil running at 1.2ohm. Hits crazy hard and responds great!

james04si
05-25-2008, 03:51 PM
I have a small vented enclosure with a 10" alpasonik 400series sub dual 4ohm voice coil running at 1.2ohm. Hits crazy hard and responds great!
How exactly are you getting 1.2 ohms with a 4 ohm dual voicecoil speaker? The math I did says you could have either a 2 ohm or a 8 ohm load with that.

Panathrasher
05-27-2008, 12:47 AM
Sealed boxes hit the cleanest.

03Si757
05-30-2008, 03:55 AM
How exactly are you getting 1.2 ohms with a 4 ohm dual voicecoil speaker? The math I did says you could have either a 2 ohm or a 8 ohm load with that.

Its bridged down to 1 ohm stable, but with all electronics, its never EXACLTY whats rated.

Chad
05-30-2008, 06:47 AM
Its bridged down to 1 ohm stable, but with all electronics, its never EXACLTY whats rated.

Methinks you possibly tossed a meter across the final load to come up with that number? Tha't not IMPEDANCE which is dynamic, you found the direct coil resistance which is only a valid number when the driver is not driven (in motion) the impedance is affected by many other parameters of the driver such as inductance, capacitance, and EMF.

james04si
05-30-2008, 04:31 PM
The only way to make a dual 4 ohm voicecoil produce 1 ohm is to have 2 of them with all voicecoils wired in parallel. you cannot get a 1 or 1.2 ohm load from a single dual 4 ohm voicecoil speaker. that was the point I was making

IWASHATCHED
05-30-2008, 05:30 PM
Sealed is the business if you like tight bass, which I am indeed a fan of. So that got my vote.

Chad
05-30-2008, 06:08 PM
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showpost.php?p=517423&postcount=4