PDA

View Full Version : DIY: Turn off 'Maintenance Required' light

BobSassafrass
04-20-2008, 01:35 PM
Did a search and couldn't find this anymore but found it on google and figured the "new" site needed it.

This information was taken from http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/maintenance-reqd-light.html I have no other knowledge about the maintenance required light than what has been posted here. The one thing I do have to add is that the maintenance required light is not the same as the check engine light and does not serve any of the same functions.

How does it work?

From Kevin Sargent:
"If the light is on, it is simply a mileage trigger. There is nothing wrong with your car. Also, these triggers I quoted are on my Canadian Integra (hence the KM indication straight from the book), and it also may have changed from the 1996 model year to 1998, but I doubt it.

* For the first 9,600km (6,000mi) after resetting, it will light for two seconds when the car is started (normal light test).
* Between 9,600km (6,000mi) and 12,000km (7,500mi), the light will come on solid for two seconds after turning the key to ON, then flash for 8 seconds.
* After 12,000km (7,500mi), the light stays on constantly.
How do I turn it off?

Note: Make certain all the exterior lamps (headlights, parking, etc) are OFF before you try to turn off the Maintenance Required lamp. If any exterior lamps are ON, the computer will not allow the Maintenance lamp to be turned off!
If you have Daytime Running Lamps (DRL's)... If the DRL's are factory, pull the parking brake lever up before turning the ignition key to II. If the DRL's are aftermarket, read the manual that came with them for how to turn them off, or pull their fuse.

Odometer reset button procedure

1. Turn the key to the II position (but not to III, or START)
2. Turn the key to the 0 (OFF) position, then push -- and hold -- the odometer reset button
3. Turn the key back to the II position, while still holding the button
4. After about 10-15 seconds, the light should go off
5. Release button and turn key to 0.

holywood
04-20-2008, 01:44 PM
yeah the mant. reqd light is only there so you take it into the stealership and they rip you off for a bunch of work that doesnt need to be done for your "scheduled maintenance"...

shanewdude
04-25-2008, 05:04 AM
From my owner's manual:

First 8000 miles: comes on for 2 seconds
Between 8000 and 10 000 miles: comes on for 2 seconds, then flashes for 10 seconds.
After 10 000 miles: remains on

TO RESET:
1. Turn off engine
2. Press and hold the Select/Reset button on the instrument panel, then turn the ignition switch to ON.
3. Hold the button until the indicator resets (approximately 10 seconds).

blkep3man
04-25-2008, 05:07 PM
has anyone did this?

ClouD
04-25-2008, 05:10 PM
Yes, and it works. Beat going to the dealer and getting charge to turn off a maintenance light.

Paulieep3
04-25-2008, 05:34 PM
just did it, workd the first time.

dbnow88
04-25-2008, 11:28 PM
i've done it a couple times. easy fix

BlueEP3
08-07-2008, 07:45 PM
YEPP that thing is just there to remind you.... CHANGE YOUR OIL!!!

Chad
08-08-2008, 06:54 AM
YEPP that thing is just there to remind you.... CHANGE YOUR OIL!!!

Change your oil AGAIN :D

And replace the oil plug washer this time :D

sleepy_ep
08-08-2008, 08:16 AM
what if your little reset button is broken?

Cause mine sticks when I push it in and I have to pull it out.

maint. reqd been on forever

Emjay
08-13-2008, 08:29 AM
I stopped by my mechanics shop to schedule the 100,000 mile maintenace as the light was on. I expected it'd probably cost a bit more than a regualr oil change since they have to check more things. They told me it should be around 500 bucks! It would be almost 200 more, but being a friend he gives me a deal on labor.

WTF? They said that since the water pump and the tensioner and belt fail soon they do it at your 100K maintenance so you don't have to come in for at separate times. I know some preventive work was essential for other Hondas that have a timing belt. There's no way I'd not do that one ahead of time. Good thing we have a chain in the Si.

I'm pretty sure I can wait for the water pump, if it fails it's not that big a deal. But what about the tensioner and belt? What happens if these go while I'm driving? I doubt it could be as bad a timing belt failing. I know my mechanic is not trying to rip me off, just looking out for me.

Normally I'd just do it all, but I'm low on cash since I'm already paying for next winter's heating oil.

Comments?

bizarroxxx
08-14-2008, 05:43 PM
Did a search and couldn't find this anymore but found it on google and figured the "new" site needed it.

This information was taken from http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/maintenance-reqd-light.html I have no other knowledge about the maintenance required light than what has been posted here. The one thing I do have to add is that the maintenance required light is not the same as the check engine light and does not serve any of the same functions.

Good info

Chad
08-14-2008, 10:08 PM
what if your little reset button is broken?

Cause mine sticks when I push it in and I have to pull it out.

maint. reqd been on forever

Does it function for the trip-o-meter? If so then do the same routine and pull that bad oscar out when it should kick itself back out. If it's making the contact you can make it work :mwink:

SiR Kolos
08-19-2008, 06:22 PM
You have a timing chain... I can't see it failing anytime soon. Forget that belt business.

sleepy_ep
08-19-2008, 07:06 PM
Does it function for the trip-o-meter? If so then do the same routine and pull that bad oscar out when it should kick itself back out. If it's making the contact you can make it work :mwink:

yeah, but i thought you pushed the other button to the left :mfrown:

Emjay
08-29-2008, 08:09 AM
Any ideas on what to do if your Odometer reset button is broken?

hoogen
08-29-2008, 08:34 AM

fix it then do the reset :mbiggrin:

frm_808
08-29-2008, 11:03 AM
yay everyone deserves a cookie!!!!:tehehyper:

sleepy_ep
08-29-2008, 11:51 AM

buy new ep,

haha yeah i'm in the same boat as you. I just let that light chill man. no big deals

Chad
08-29-2008, 12:48 PM

Take the cluster out and pull the lamp :mangel:

k-powered
09-01-2008, 03:09 PM
jUST RECENTLY HAD THIS LIGHT COME ON FIXED THE MAINATNENCE PROBLEM AND THEN DID THE TURN THE KEY AND HOLD THE ODOMETER BUTTON........WORKS GREAT.

vUpac
09-02-2008, 08:45 PM
this is great... i was worried something was wrong with my car. thanx

Emjay
09-03-2008, 10:33 AM
fix it then do the reset :mbiggrin:

So, I checked the cluster removal DIY (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43675&highlight=cluster) for some tips. However, I can't tell if you can get at anything other than the bulbs.

Does anyone know if I can get at the switch that the Odometer reset button pushes against? Or do I need to replace the cluster?

frm_808
09-03-2008, 10:47 AM
So, I checked the cluster removal DIY (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43675&highlight=cluster) for some tips. However, I can't tell if you can get at anything other than the bulbs.

Does anyone know if I can get at the switch that the Odometer reset button pushes against? Or do I need to replace the cluster?

well if the cluster has screws in the back, carefully take them out and the back cover and see and let us know

04bluepearl
09-04-2008, 02:16 PM
Just did this and worked great, thanks. that light was bothering the piss out of me and i didn't even know why it was on haha

mitchell_ep3
03-19-2010, 07:08 PM
hasnt been working lately for me.... lights been on for 500K and i've constantly tried this... would obd2 scanner work? my trip - o - meter toggles just fine

mitchell_ep3
03-21-2010, 01:05 AM
got it.... had to hold it for more than 30 seconds

MBaG
08-15-2011, 01:04 PM

I know this is an old thread, but this made me laugh; hahaha.

I couldn't find this info in my manual, so I just searched it on here. Search button ftw.