PDA

View Full Version : megan test pipe vs. raceheader

bluedevilI
04-21-2008, 12:54 AM
i bought a megan test pipe brand new and i jus wana kno if anyone has had a race header then switched to a test pipe (or visce versa), what were the difference in power. my friend hasa dc5 and he told me that it felt the same.

epshtielsl
04-21-2008, 06:24 AM
It really depends on what race header you get, but generally the race header will flow much better than just a test pipe. I say get the race header. Test pipes are worthless on N/A cars anyways.

thechromecoyote
04-21-2008, 06:26 AM
Raceheaders are designed to increase exhaust flow, and to channel those gasses efficiently (some more than others of course :mwink:).

Test pipes just remove your cat, decreasing flow resistance.

Performance wise the RH is better for NA

supercivician
04-21-2008, 07:40 AM
i dont know about you guys from it's a lot easier to take off the test pipe than taking off the whole header for inspection

test pipe for sure...just cut off the hanger to the test pipe when installing

AUTiger
04-21-2008, 09:48 AM
if you don't care about the ease of removal for inspection, definitely go with the raceheader. I felt a big difference going from a shorty/testpipe to just a DCRH. My times at the track improved .3-.4 even after I removed my catback and reinstalled the stock exhaust. At some point I will upgrade to a better quality raceheader, unless I go the turbo route.

civictype_r04
04-21-2008, 10:18 AM
I love my megan test pipe.

SPAM&RICE
04-21-2008, 10:20 AM
dont play around go for the race header:boxing:

bluedevilI
04-21-2008, 11:45 AM
kool thanx for the feed back, ill put on my test pipe then prolli buy a rh wen i save up some more money

epshtielsl
04-21-2008, 12:32 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about the inspection thing. It only has to be done like what? once a year? It's a 20 min install at most anyways. Get the race header.

civsirmt
04-21-2008, 06:33 PM
i have had them both, go with the race header.

bluedevilI
04-21-2008, 09:41 PM
idk its kind of a risk to run with raceheader in cali. i had a friend pay a $1200 fine for his mr2 turbo with no cat. i juus thought the test pipe wuld kinda get u by if they look under the car, but yea...does anyone kno the chances of that happening though?

bluedevilI
04-21-2008, 09:41 PM
or has any cali ep's been in that situation? or had 2 pay a fine?

epshtielsl
04-22-2008, 06:16 AM
Damn, I didn't see that you were in Cali. Yeah running a race header and getting caught is mad $$$ in fines. You can always get the DCRH and get a high flow cat welded in place of the flex pipe. I've also seen people put the stock cat heat shield around the test pipe to make it look like a cat. Here in VA cops aren't so keen on that stuff and I never really had to worry about it. Also the only way for them to see it would be for them to lay stomach down on the ground and try to peer under the car. Even then you can't see much because the car is so low. Most cops wouldn't bother with it, but you're in Cali so who knows....

If you're worried just get the DCRH with a high flow cat welded in. It will still probably flow better than a megan header/test pipe combo anyways.

dashehonda
04-22-2008, 08:53 PM
I was thinking about a race header in the future, but that kills your 02 sensors right? and is incredibly loud and what about emissions? Im in Ohio, does anyone else in ohio have a RH and pass emissions?

v1c10us
04-22-2008, 08:59 PM
exhaust gas velocity > lower resistance/backpressure
aka
race header > test pipe

edit: in response to getting a high flow cat welded in;
I would take your stock cat or a high flow cat and hammer the biggest diameter pipe you can into the cat and knock the honeycomb out of the middle of it. Then it'll look like a cat, but just be a straight pipe.
This will be louder than a test pipe but the open area of the test pipe lowers exhaust gas velocity compared to a pipe maintaining the same diameter.
So id do that and then get that welded in place. Looks legit, but its really the shit.

bluedevilI
04-22-2008, 11:21 PM
is it possible to weld the stock cat onto a dcrh? if so then ill do that.

epshtielsl
04-23-2008, 07:24 AM
Welding in the restrictive stock cat would kinda undermine the point of getting a race header. If you want to keep the stock cat just get a Megan shorty header.

CajunSi
04-23-2008, 07:43 AM
Welding in the restrictive stock cat would kinda undermine the point of getting a race header. If you want to keep the stock cat just get a Megan shorty header.

But what about getting a Megan shorty header and a Megan test pipe?

epshtielsl
04-23-2008, 07:48 AM
A DCRH will flow better than a shorty/test pipe combo. But it's easier to take out the test pipe for emission purposes. When I had my DCRH I took it out to get emissions done. I did it so often I could do it with my eyes closed. It really isn't that hard of an install.

bluedevilI
04-23-2008, 12:07 PM
i wana do the dcrh, buyin a high flow cat and welding it is sucha mission. and the price of the high flow catsare about 400 or more. thing is i have a brand new megan test pipe that i havent installed, thats y i wanted 2 c if itd b better 2 get the rh, but cali jus aint the place.

wishbear
04-23-2008, 02:26 PM
lolz i have a jrrh in my car right now for a while now no cops done nothing to me hahah. knock on wood. good luck with what ever you pick

ivtec_do_u
04-23-2008, 07:34 PM
Just as everyone has been saying race header all the way. Longer primaries will help exhaust gases flow better, its just how the world works.

bluedevilI
04-24-2008, 01:15 AM
yea i want one soo bad, but i love my hks, thats already a killer, last thing i want is to get a cop 2 look under my car, then i get a fix it ticket plus emissions