PDA

View Full Version : CTR gauge cluster and dash lighting fix

talonXracer
04-21-2008, 12:15 PM
When you use the CTR gauge cluster there is no control for the dash lighting and the center console will be dark.

What is needed to be done to get the center console lights to work, is to cut the red wire in the GREEN cluster connector. Now that the wire is cut, install a spade connector on each of the ends(so that it can be returned to stock configuration). Now make up a wire with a ring connector at one end and spade connector that will mate with the red wire that was cut(harness end, not the connector end). Ground the ring end to the chassis and connect the other end to the red wire's spade connector. Your dash lights will now work(but no adjustability).

Here is a pic showing the red wire and the spade connectors. I presently have the OEM dash in for state inspection, otherwise the male spade would be connected to the ground and not the red wire.
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g96/talonxracer/IMG_0733.jpg

PogoFX
04-21-2008, 12:25 PM
That's exactly what I needed, thanks. And just to make it perfectly clear, after cutting the red wire, does the wire attached to the green plug get grounded or does the red wire coming from the car get grounded?

talonXracer
04-21-2008, 12:28 PM
That's exactly what I needed, thanks. And just to make it perfectly clear, after cutting the red wire, does the wire attached to the green plug get grounded or does the red wire coming from the car get grounded?

Correct, the wire from the wire harness gets grounded, the connector end is left alone.

digitlmajik
04-22-2008, 05:07 PM
The UKDM dash does the same thing, no dimmer knob. This is just what i have been looking for.:bump:

musashi1219
04-22-2008, 06:50 PM
great post... i am glad someone finally figured this out!:msmooch:

frm_808
04-23-2008, 12:19 PM
and now to buy one:mwink:

moso
09-04-2008, 12:21 PM
so basicly we just cut the red wire leave the one on the cluster alone and ground the one thats coming from the car?

civicsibaby04
09-04-2008, 05:14 PM
yup you cut the red wire coming from the green plug an ground it. i followed this same write up to get my center console lights to turn on.

moso
09-04-2008, 10:53 PM
ok just bought my ctr cluster today followed this steps and now my climate control lights work =]] now the only thing left how to figure out is the temp censor it would be very helpful if there was pix but i guess ill give it a try like dis.

plus does anyone know if the s2k censor will work?

ep-unit
09-05-2008, 01:06 AM
thanks for the info

-LAW-
08-12-2010, 06:48 PM
anyone got the diagram ???

im confused !!! the wire from the car is going to get grounded and the wire from the connector will be left alone, right ???

HFPcivicSI
08-13-2012, 08:26 AM
The pics are no longer attached to this post. Did anyone save them? I have the UKDM dash, and looking to get it fixed here soon :) Its already installed.

Thanks
-Al

klik
10-05-2012, 02:30 PM
I need the diagram also i have a uk ctr cluster that i need to install.

epchad
01-30-2014, 05:16 PM
pics would be nice

MajorJones
01-31-2014, 07:50 PM
If i'm right, I think Talon is Perma banned. Not 100% doe, it has been a long time since i have seen him post. Hopefully someone can help you.

SSM
08-04-2017, 10:07 AM
Here's another DIY if anyone needed more info.

When swapping in the ukdm cluster there are a few lights that do not work. These lights are the backlighting for the heater controls. I worked on this a while ago and never did a real DIY so here it is. Feel free to PM me or post up questions in here.

wire cutters/strippers
6 inches of 14awg wire (up to 4 feet if you choose the alt. grounding method)
One ground loop
crimpers
electrical tape
i think that is it

1. remove the cluster.

2. there are two plugs that were plugged into the cluster. Find the green one. here is a tip... it is green. In that plug there is a red wire. Be careful because there is a red wire with a black stripe and that is not the one you want. Now that you ahve double and triple checked that you have the solid red wire cut it. Make sure not ti cut it real close to the plug you want to be able to reattach it if you put your stock cluster back in.

3. You now have two sides of the red wire, cluster side and computer side. The cluster side is the side that is the side that is in the green plug and the computer side is the side that is in the harness and runs to a place where you cannot see. Tape up the cluster side or the red wire, you do not need this for anything.

4. Now take your wire and splice it onto the computer side of the red wire. Attach your ground loop to the other side of the wire and ground it to the support beam that is behind the cluster or to any other suitable place. If you do not have a ground loop or are lazy you can run the wire down to a factory ground point. There is one in the kick panel, but i never use it because i ground it behind the cluster like a previously stated.

5. Plug in your sexy *** UKDM cluster and turn on your lights and make sure it all works great.

Taken from a previous DIY so i take no credit.

Eplowlife
09-09-2017, 08:05 PM
Hello guys,
I'm new in the forum and I have a question regarding the UKDM cluster. I just installed my cluster on my ep3 and everything works except my dash ( I'd already read a DIY on that) however, the turning arrow to turn right on the cluster it self doesn't work it doesn't come on at all, does someone know what the problem may be?

leeintegra03
11-11-2017, 11:52 PM
bulb might be out