PDA

View Full Version : Spring "Snapping" Forward, Not seated right?

.colin
04-21-2008, 04:31 PM
Ok the reason my front right shock is making noise is because i don't think its seated properly in the upper perch. I had someone turn the wheel hard right, and i saw the spring moving with the shock, then all a sudden it would "snap" forward (meaning it would turn on its own inedpendent of the shock) - which made the noise I kept hearing. I watched the bottom and the spring stayed in the bottom perch, it was the upper portion of the spring that was moving and creating this noise.

Is it because the top hat isn't seated correctly on the spring? I looked under the hood and the markings are going the right direction (honda had marked them before putting in my new steering rack).

For my first suspension install, i have had sooooo many headaches. I think my ep is evil.

ep_hatcher_510
04-21-2008, 05:27 PM
I think i would take that strut out and examine it more, take it apart and put it back together slowly.

trickkykidd.02
04-22-2008, 12:00 AM
sounds like there isnt enough torque on the bolts holding the assembly together.

Try to get the spring in place and tighten down the top center bolt. Not sure if you need to do this with the tire in air or not. I think the torque spec is something like 40lbs...

also make sure you have the tophats in the correct orientation. They only fit right one way as they are tilted to match the contour of the body. there is an arrow on the top hat but I just matched the coil of spring and marks on rubber seat with bottom groove.

Drew1d
04-22-2008, 04:53 AM
Take it apart, re grease the bearing, line up the top hat. Don't lose heart, it will be easier than last time. :mcool:

mustclime
04-22-2008, 05:02 AM
Sounds like your upper spring purch is not moving on the bearing.

slate13530
04-22-2008, 07:37 AM
I've had that clunking noise for a while, but if I'm not mistaken it's due to greasing on the top hats.

talonXracer
04-22-2008, 07:37 AM
Sounds like it is time for a new upper bearing.

.colin
04-22-2008, 02:42 PM
guess it could be the bearings. i retorqued the top bolt and it still does it, so i don't think thats the problem

SPAM&RICE
04-22-2008, 03:02 PM
Sounds like it is time for a new upper bearing.

Where does this upper bearing live, im guessing in the tothap the pillowball mount.

civictype_r04
04-22-2008, 06:53 PM
sounds like there isnt enough torque on the bolts holding the assembly together.

Try to get the spring in place and tighten down the top center bolt. Not sure if you need to do this with the tire in air or not. I think the torque spec is something like 40lbs...

also make sure you have the tophats in the correct orientation. They only fit right one way as they are tilted to match the contour of the body. there is an arrow on the top hat but I just matched the coil of spring and marks on rubber seat with bottom groove.

I am thinking the samething.

.colin
04-22-2008, 06:54 PM
I am thinking the samething.

its not.............i re tightened it to 33ft/lbs, no cigar

v1c10us
04-22-2008, 07:24 PM
take it out, turn everything by hand, see what gives and what doesnt and trouble shoot from there..
Good chance though that you wont be able to make it move with your own strength and you'll have gotten nowhere. but you'll atleast have it out then.

04EP3Hatch
07-20-2008, 06:23 PM
Take it apart, re grease the bearing, line up the top hat. Don't lose heart, it will be easier than last time. :mcool:

Listen to this man! I just went through this, mine only did it at slow speeds while turning the wheel, turns out there was a peice of plastic in the new carquest bearing causing it to hangup so i used the old honda one and its all good now, only does it pulling in my driveway when that wheel has all the weight of the car on it

04EP3Hatch
07-20-2008, 06:24 PM
Where does this upper bearing live, im guessing in the tothap the pillowball mount.

If the stock bearing was pillowball, u wouldnt have this problem