PDA

View Full Version : Type R head...

K20ACTR
11-06-2002, 06:08 PM
I was looking into buying a new Type R head for my Si and was wondering what other internals I will need to replace? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

!@#$%
11-06-2002, 10:10 PM
my guess would be to have this:

jdm valve springs/retainers
balanced crankshaft
ITR cam shafts
stronger connecting rods
ITR ecu
higher compression pistons
and the third cam lobes that engage the exhaust side vtec.
(^ this i am really not sure if they can be swapped. :confused:

i imagine u would need much more than just this though. good luck if u actually plan on a project like this.

chunky
11-06-2002, 11:00 PM
the type-r head from a CTR will bolt right on. You should be able to hit 8000rpm on the stock bottom end. Just make sure you get the ECU so you're not stuck with the 6800 redline of your current motor.

Ideally, you'd want to get the pistons, rods & crank as well in order to make it bullet proof - the pistons are higher compression for the type-s and will yield a nice power gain, the rods are also much beefier, and the crank is built to narrower tolerances.

If you are planning on going force induction, i'd keep the current pistons, and swap the rods & crank.

K20ACTR
11-07-2002, 09:59 AM
Just got a reply back from RANDDMOTORSPORTS and they said the Type R head will not fit at all. They didn't disclose any other info on whether or not I would need a new block or anything though.

yomamaInMySi
11-07-2002, 10:05 AM
I don't know much about it, but I think they meant to say that it wouldn't work. The internal on both engines are totally different, rods, pintons, cams, springs retainers, ecu etc. It would be more rational for you to do 3 things:

Type R or RSX-S engine swap, pricey$$$
Turbo (yes there are couple out there already), still some what pricey, but not as much as the swap $$
JR Super charger, still pricey $, but not as much as turbo or swap

above suggestions is IMO by the way.