PDA

View Full Version : Best Coilover Suspension??

Mugensi03
04-21-2008, 09:59 PM
I have used the search and havent actually found any concrete answers to what is a really good coilover suspension. Yes i am a noob, i letting you kno this straight off the bat before anyone wants to knock on me. I am a little tight on money, i am a student and i cant work as much as i would like to. I have heard good things about the Megan Racing Street coilover system. Any input would help me a great deal.

the JigGa mAn
04-21-2008, 10:12 PM
i was recently looking for the same answers, and it all boils down to what your looking your car to do i.e. track, auto x, DD..there are different coilover set ups for everything. i went with the buddy club n+ coilovers because in the end i was told it would fit my needs (and the progress coilovers are on backorder).

let us know what your want out of your car, so you can get good info

cajdmep3
04-21-2008, 10:17 PM
hey

cajdmep3
04-21-2008, 10:18 PM
what up im new to this thing

Mugensi03
04-21-2008, 10:19 PM
very tru, well my car will be my DD but i am more into the autocross and curcuit aspect. So thats y i was suggested the megans, 32 way ajustable so i can change the settings anytime id like to. See i thought also about the buddy club N+ but i heard that they didnt have the brake line attachment.

Windchaser
04-21-2008, 10:21 PM
Motons . . . the damn system is impressive for its adaptability from street to all out competition

Mugensi03
04-21-2008, 10:27 PM
Motons . . . the damn system is impressive for its adaptability from street to all out competition

Motons?? sorry never heard of them before, where can read about them or where do they sell them?? sorry im a noob so u kinda need to forgive me about the lack of knowledge i have.

Windchaser
04-21-2008, 10:29 PM
kingmotorsports.com . . . :tehehe:

the JigGa mAn
04-21-2008, 10:34 PM
very tru, well my car will be my DD but i am more into the autocross and curcuit aspect. So thats y i was suggested the megans, 32 way ajustable so i can change the settings anytime id like to. See i thought also about the buddy club N+ but i heard that they didnt have the brake line attachment.

the new ones actually do

Mugensi03
04-21-2008, 10:40 PM
kingmotorsports.com . . . :tehehe:

:suspicious:....haha 5 thou for suspension....maybe u skipped the part where i said im broke and that im a student.

the new ones actually do

Really?? thats good to know, are they good for street and competition??

Windchaser
04-21-2008, 10:41 PM
:suspicious:....haha 5 thou for suspension....maybe u skipped the part where i said im broke and that im a student.

yeah, i figured, "it doesn't hurt if he finds out on his own." LOL

Mugensi03
04-21-2008, 10:45 PM
yeah, i figured, "it doesn't hurt if he finds out on his own." LOL
LOL very tru....mean in a way but funny, i got a good laugh at the price...for that amount of money id rather buy my self a turbo kit, kpro, all the small accesories for the turbo(gauge, gauge pod) and a full tuning.

MugsyTheGr8
04-21-2008, 10:58 PM
i wish we had some of zzyx post to link people to. read this (http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets6.html). it pretty much sums up why your average generic coilover kit (like the megan) sucks.

Mugensi03
04-21-2008, 11:16 PM
i wish we had some of zzyx post to link people to. read this (http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets6.html). it pretty much sums up why your average generic coilover kit (like the mugan) sucks.

I agree completely,you have to dish out a good amount of money to get something good. Simple as that, but look at it from my piont of view, 22 years old, gas prices going up almost every second by a dollar. A student, and not much time to work. All id like to do is give my car a better stance on the road, mind you i do plan on getting much better tires, sway bars and all. But ive become a EP owner only a month ago roughly. All im asking is what are your opinions on aftermarket coilovers and which would you recommend. And thank you for the insightful link. Im learning alot.

MugsyTheGr8
04-21-2008, 11:21 PM
I agree completely,you have to dish out a good amount of money to get something good. Simple as that, but look at it from my piont of view, 22 years old, gas prices going up almost every second by a dollar. A student, and not much time to work. All id like to do is give my car a better stance on the road, mind you i do plan on getting much better tires, sway bars and all. But ive become a EP owner only a month ago roughly. All im asking is what are your opinions on aftermarket coilovers and which would you recommend. And thank you for the insightful link. Im learning alot.

whoops, i kinda put mugen, i meant megan. the mugen kit is very good.

about the dishing out money. im in the same situation as you. i want to upgrade my suspension and i dont have alot of money, but by doing research you learn that there are valid alternatives to coilovers that dont cost a whole lot but perform on a higher level. the setup im aiming for is bilstien sport dampers and a set of springs from either ground control or eibach. im going with the bilstiens because they are rebuildable (unlike many generic coilovers) and can be custom valved. im waiting to email ground control about the springs that would be best until after i actually have the shocks in my possession.

i realize now that my post kinda sounded like a "go big or go home" post but that was not my intention. i just want you to have all the information possible before putting such a large amount of money into such an important part of your car.

Mugensi03
04-21-2008, 11:38 PM
whoops, i kinda put mugen, i meant megan. the mugen kit is very good.

about the dishing out money. im in the same situation as you. i want to upgrade my suspension and i dont have alot of money, but by doing research you learn that there are valid alternatives to coilovers that dont cost a whole lot but perform on a higher level. the setup im aiming for is bilstien sport dampers and a set of springs from either ground control or eibach. im going with the bilstiens because they are rebuildable (unlike many generic coilovers) and can be custom valved. im waiting to email ground control about the springs that would be best until after i actually have the shocks in my possession.

i realize now that my post kinda sounded like a "go big or go home" post but that was not my intention. i just want you to have all the information possible before putting such a large amount of money into such an important part of your car.

LOL u didnt sound like go big or go home...it just basically is that way in life, u truely do need to drop a good amount of money if u truely do want quality. But i do have to say though, the suspension you are aiming for is expensive and it seems to me that u r building your car for some serious track time, mine wont be seeing the track that often. The best really isn't a must for me. I would just like something to work with and get to know things about cars myself rather than learn everything from a book or internet. Sometimes u need to get dirty to truely understand something. And i appreciate all the information, but first i kind of need to read a bit more into the automotive world so i can understand what some of the other members are talking about or what they are saying in such links lik u showed me. Hopefully u understand where im coming from.

supercivician
04-22-2008, 04:12 AM
i wish we had some of zzyx post to link people to. read this (http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets6.html). it pretty much sums up why your average generic coilover kit (like the megan) sucks.

tokico is not even on the list???

Princess
04-22-2008, 04:18 AM

:laugh: LMAO

mustclime
04-22-2008, 01:13 PM
I just put this togather on another forum....take a look.

http://forums.clubep3.net/showthread.php?t=564642

Mugensi03
04-22-2008, 01:14 PM
Anymore suggestions?? If not my picks are either the Megan's or the Buddy Club N+.

epshtielsl
04-22-2008, 01:22 PM
Progress makes a really good coilover system as well. You just might have to wait a while to get it.

Zzyzx
04-22-2008, 01:23 PM
If you are really interested in handling performance... then you really have to pay attention to the dampers you are buying. And thats where the Inexpensive "coilovers" fall short.

They do fine for daily driving, but if you are setting up the car for compitition you'd do better with something else.

jdmezbuy
04-22-2008, 01:35 PM
I used Progress coilover first in my car. After few months, i changed to Buddy Club N+ damper, that was pretty good. Now i changed to JIC, i think JIC is the best!!! But it's kind of expansive. If you have not much money, i recommend you can use Buddy Club instead to change Megan. Megan is one china brand. And the price between buddy club with megan just around 200-300 different. You can go ebay to search about it.

Mugensi03
04-22-2008, 02:54 PM
Progress makes a really good coilover system as well. You just might have to wait a while to get it.

If you dont mind me asking but can you tell me the pro's and cons of the Progress coilovers?? Off topic but i find it funny that both of us have a ssm
ep3 and that our names are Phil.

If you are really interested in handling performance... then you really have to pay attention to the dampers you are buying. And thats where the Inexpensive "coilovers" fall short.

They do fine for daily driving, but if you are setting up the car for compitition you'd do better with something else.

Um i dont want to sound rude or anything but...kind of doesnt anwser my question, what would u suggest??

I used Progress coilover first in my car. After few months, i changed to Buddy Club N+ damper, that was pretty good. Now i changed to JIC, i think JIC is the best!!! But it's kind of expensive. If you have not much money, i recommend you can use Buddy Club instead to change Megan. Megan is one china brand. And the price between buddy club with megan just around 200-300 different. You can go ebay to search about it.

Hmm i didnt kno that about megan, good to kno though, and yea paying 200 to 300 extra isnt that big of a difference. Thank you all for all your advice and i hope to hear more.

Zzyzx
04-22-2008, 03:31 PM
Um i dont want to sound rude or anything but...kind of doesnt anwser my question, what would u suggest??

for a relatively inexpensive competition setup, I'd be looking to either run a non adjustable damper that I knew was a good and reliable damper. Such as Bilstein or Progress. Or if I simply had to have an adjustable damper, I'd be looking at the few single adjustable dampers that only adjust Rebound valving. Such as Buddy Club's RSD, KW's V2 or Konis.

But then this is with Compitition handling in mind.

Regardless, you should be avoiding dampers that adjust both Bump and Rebound with one knob. They make for decent street dampers, as they allow for maximum adjustment of the cars ride quality. But are sub-optimum when it comes to tuning the cars handling.

IaNz EP
04-22-2008, 03:45 PM
Tein SS or D2 Coilovers

Princess
04-22-2008, 04:16 PM
Toda/Fightex coilovers (http://www.inlinefour.com/todcoilep3ty.html). Only $3,100. What a bargain, lol.

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/twincamtech_1996_143027578

MugsyTheGr8
04-22-2008, 04:40 PM
Toda/Fightex coilovers (http://www.inlinefour.com/todcoilep3ty.html). Only $3,100. What a bargain, lol.

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/twincamtech_1996_143027578

motor dream all right.

jdmezbuy
04-22-2008, 05:09 PM
Tein SS or D2 Coilovers

But Tein SS is over 1k, why don't use buddy club then? I heard one of my technician fd said about Tein SS is not really good compare to Buddy Club!!...

And ebay have skunk2 coilover, but dont' buy for it since my fd used it only for 6 months, then the front coilover leak...

xsimplistikaznx
04-22-2008, 11:14 PM
But Tein SS is over 1k, why don't use buddy club then? I heard one of my technician fd said about Tein SS is not really good compare to Buddy Club!!...

And ebay have skunk2 coilover, but dont' buy for it since my fd used it only for 6 months, then the front coilover leak...

eh depends on what you like. i've heard good about TEIN ss. BC is cool too. Megan Racing good too. gosh so expensiveeee

LAZARUS
06-02-2008, 06:53 PM
buddy club makes good shit.all i hear is good things about buddy club's coilovers.

polymorphic
06-02-2008, 07:24 PM
I'm in the same boat as Mugensi03. Some good info in this thread, but nothing extremely helpful for those of us looking to drive to and from work and that's it... maybe floor it on the weekend on the freeway or a back road. My hobby and career is IT: computer and systems administration. I would love my first major mod to be a 1-2" drop, everything else stock. I was thinking I could get by on about $600 to do that, but the more I read, the more I think that I will be spending thousands of dollars!

I would like coilovers, but with labor and parts it looks like I'll be spending ~$2000, is this correct? Mind you I live in an apartment and know how to fill my tank with gas and check the fluids - nothing more - so I can't install myself.

I've read a great deal and it seems that springs are affordable, but will quickly ruin your stock shocks. If I buy decent shocks with the springs, will this launch me back to the $2 grand mark???

And then there is camber adjustment and alignment, right?

A friend of mine told me about heating the stock springs and having it lowered via that method. Is this a good idea? I hope I am getting across, as I think Mugensi03 is trying to, that I need retard-level help with this. :frusty:

jtyler05si
06-03-2008, 05:28 AM
yeah in the same boat... the way people talk it seems that coilovers are way too pricey for me. i am already looking into springs...roughly $200 for springs, $150 for front and rear camber kits, add in $ for shipping, maybe $150 for install (if i dont do it myself). thats $500 +shipping or $350 + shipping if i do it myself... sounds pretty reasonable for the amount of change it does to the appearance...plus i figured, i would ride on stock struts for the next two semesters, then replace with bilsteins or something next summer...my shit will be legit, for my DD atleast.