PDA

View Full Version : suspension for a "daily driver" under $1000

SI DRAFTER
04-22-2008, 10:52 AM
I think my stock front struts are bad after 70k mi., so this would be a good time to go ahead and lower that bi---. Would like to stay under $1k, so if something breaks in a few years it wont be that much to replace. drive it avg 30mi per day to work on a sweet curvy road. thinking about tein s-tech, on tokico hp or konis. any suggestions would be appreciated.

thechromecoyote
04-22-2008, 10:55 AM
for just over 1000 you can get the mugen SS suspension from Kingsmotorsports. Subtle drop, OEM reliability and JDM bling that actually does something :mconfused:

Otherwise Tokico D-Specs with some S-techs are a nice thing. Just dont forget the rear camber kit while your changing everything out.

epshtielsl
04-22-2008, 11:01 AM
I'm pretty sure my stock struts are done for. I got the Tanabe GF210 springs (about a 2'' drop all around) and didn't replace the stock struts or get a rear camber kit. After about 15k miles my struts are done and my rear tires look like slicks.

New tires are here already, camber kit is on order. Still trying to decide what to do suspension wise though. I heard the Tokico HPs were pretty much a stock replacement. Get D-Specs.

Anyone hear much about Progress coilovers or the BuddyClub N+ and the differences between the two? Which coilover would put the least amount of strain on the steering rack? I'm about to replace mine and I would hate for the creak to come back.

mustclime
04-22-2008, 11:14 AM
d-spec or koni suspension kits( come with matched springs),05-06 type-s rear sway and some camber bolts for the front.....under a grand:mangel:

theyb
04-22-2008, 11:15 AM
save 270+ more dollars and get the Mugen SS.

FoReVaPmP
04-22-2008, 11:18 AM
Progress Makes a great Coilover Kit.... We've been on the progress kit for about 4yrs. now.....

So far, it has cast us $40 to have one shock repaired (MD Skreetz are ruff) but we just found out that we have another shock to send out..... so $80 for 4yrs isn't bad.... and the kit itself is under a grand. ....... Progress is :first: in my book for a DD suspension kit.

epshtielsl
04-22-2008, 11:25 AM
Nice, as soon as I gotz teh scrilla, I'll be ordering me some Progress.

SoleLive
04-22-2008, 02:20 PM
Yeah but the N+ you can adjust the dampner. I dont' think you can do that with Progress. I"m still trying to decide myself between the two.

Yeah but the N+ you can adjust the dampner. I dont' think you can do that with Progress. I"m still trying to decide myself between the two.

not trying to steer you away from it, but think realistically.
how often do you think you'll adjust it?

i'm sure the people who have it find it useful. but adjustability isnt necessarily "better." just something to think about.

cant go wrong either way though.

b.r.i.a.n.
04-22-2008, 03:04 PM
not trying to steer you away from it, but think realistically.
how often do you think you'll adjust it?

i'm sure the people who have it find it useful. but adjustability isnt necessarily "better." just something to think about.

cant go wrong either way though.

true. you usually set it and forget it. i have tein basics and their adjustable but i haven't adjusted the height since i installed them on the car.

with that said, i'd recommend the tein basics. they retail for about 900 and the ride comfort is pretty good for daily driving. i've had mine for about 2 years now with no problems.

SI DRAFTER
04-22-2008, 06:30 PM
true. you usually set it and forget it. i have tein basics and their adjustable but i haven't adjusted the height since i installed them on the car.

with that said, i'd recommend the tein basics. they retail for about 900 and the ride comfort is pretty good for daily driving. i've had mine for about 2 years now with no problems.

Adjustables would be the way to go, so you could match them to your driving style. Like you said, i would probably get them dialed in and forget about em tho.
I am leaning towards tokico d-specs, tein s-tech springs, and front& rear camber kit. The Tein Basic or Progress coilovers look nice as hell too. did you install a camber kit with yours?

Gasp23
04-22-2008, 06:47 PM
I want to go with the Mugen SS for the OEM/reliability factor. The JDMness of it doesn't hurt it either.

civictype_r04
04-22-2008, 06:50 PM
I say get a set of buddyclub N+ coilovers.

civsirmt
04-22-2008, 06:52 PM
yeah i am considering d-specs b/c they are adjustable, that makes a huge difference especially when u r pushing it either in a strait line or around corners.

Princess
04-22-2008, 06:52 PM
Spoon progressive springs, $300.

If your stock struts are not working right, then replace them at the same time.

lil_Eggy
04-22-2008, 09:03 PM
subscribed...i might be driving ~90miles a day/5 days a week

...currently have tein basics

v1c10us
04-22-2008, 09:11 PM
megan racing coilovers for 900.
or ground control w/ koni's
s-techs with d-specs

RedSiBaron
04-22-2008, 09:12 PM
im running konis with tein s techs...my vote is atleast go konis and pick a spring that fits your needs

powdbyrice
04-22-2008, 10:07 PM
adjustability for a daily driver is overrated and hyped up like front strut bars.

you shouldnt have to pay more than $700 for a decent setup. tokico HPK (blues w/matched springs) is only ~$550.

the JigGa mAn
04-22-2008, 10:24 PM
i just ordered the n+, youll have to wait to get your hands on a set of progress coilovers

chrispychicken
04-22-2008, 11:15 PM
The bad thing about the buddy club N+ is that you cant send them back to get them revalved. Thats the only bad thing I can think of. Tein and progress you can send back.

LvisDin
04-23-2008, 12:57 AM
I got Tokico HP/H&R, Comptech Rear Sway, and camber kit and Im happy with it. And theres plenty of sweet mountains near my house :mwink:

Think of getting Tokico Dspecs with H&R Springs, camer kit and progress rear sway. Then it would be a most definately fun car to drive.

PuMpKiN_Ep3
04-23-2008, 12:59 AM
Tokico HP Blues.....with progress springs

MugsyTheGr8
04-23-2008, 04:50 AM
i like the shock/lowering spring combo.

RedSiBaron
04-23-2008, 07:06 AM
adjustability for a daily driver is overrated and hyped up like front strut bars.

you shouldnt have to pay more than $700 for a decent setup. tokico HPK (blues w/matched springs) is only ~$550.

bullshit! adjustability still has its place on the street (unless you were saying you dont need coilovers, and in that case i agree with you, non autox/track street car does not need coilovers), dialing in your suspension still makes a huge difference just like your alignment being dialed in...

mustclime
04-23-2008, 07:23 AM
bullshit! adjustability still has its place on the street (unless you were saying you dont need coilovers, and in that case i agree with you, non autox/track street car does not need coilovers), dialing in your suspension still makes a huge difference just like your alignment being dialed in...

you should really read this.....This guys suspension kungFu is strong:shocked:

http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets6.html

supreme
04-23-2008, 07:31 AM
for the buddy clubs, you can take them back to any legit shop that deals with suspensions and they will revalve it for you.

MugsyTheGr8
04-23-2008, 07:45 AM
i think he meant things like dampening and ride height.

mustclime
04-23-2008, 07:50 AM
i think he meant things like dampening and ride height.

If you read my link, you will see they guy has found that most adjustment knobs are junk.

RedSiBaron
04-23-2008, 08:45 AM
you should really read this.....This guys suspension kungFu is strong:shocked:

http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets6.html

thanks, but i have to say that i dont agree that they dont do anything, adjustment makes a difference, im not trying to start a fight here...some shocks are going to be junk on adjustments, some arent...i buy good shocks...

i guess i was a little harsh so sorry about that, not bullshit, just wouldnt scare people away from adjustable shocks...

now i will admit that if hte person buying the shocks doesnt know anything about suspension, they will more than likely dial themselves out of performance, so going the non adjustable route is probably the best...and that there is another reason why i think most people running coilovers shouldnt be...most people have no need for coilovers, and most have no clue what the point is or how to set them up...

if the og wants shocks and wont be able to set them up properly, i vote bilsteins (unless there is an issue with internal bumpstops and lowering, which i havnt looked into with the ep...)

powdbyrice
04-23-2008, 02:48 PM
i didn't take your post as mean/aggressive, so dont worry. we're all e-friends.

the average person who is looking for some fun in the twisties isn't going to need the adjustment.

from what i've read from other members (non auto-x'ing/competition) many adjust it after the initial install, then forget about it.

i wouldnt necessarily steer people away from adjustable (height or damping), but is it really worth paying the extra money for a feature that you'll never use? there are plenty of quality options in the 5-600 range. for racing/track, sure adjustability is great. DD/fun, not really necessary.

sounds like the OP is on somewhat of a budget, so he can use that extra $$$ for other parts.

SilverStar
04-23-2008, 03:25 PM
tokico HP struts - $380
H&R Springs - $159
SPC Camber Kit - $145
Progress Rear Sway Bar + Tie Bar - $155
One Glory End Links - $60
Alignment - $80

Total = $979 :mwink:

Zzyzx
04-23-2008, 04:39 PM

the average person who is looking for some fun in the twisties isn't going to need the adjustment.

from what i've read from other members (non auto-x'ing/competition) many adjust it after the initial install, then forget about it.

i wouldnt necessarily steer people away from adjustable (height or damping), but is it really worth paying the extra money for a feature that you'll never use? there are plenty of quality options in the 5-600 range. for racing/track, sure adjustability is great. DD/fun, not really necessary.

sounds like the OP is on somewhat of a budget, so he can use that extra $$$ for other parts.

along those lines... I'll take a non-adjustable Bilstine damper LONG before I'll run any of the inexpensive "coilovers" on the market.

Long310
04-23-2008, 05:44 PM
Exactly what i'm thinking, but not sure which set of springs to go with? any suggestion Zzyzx?

epshtielsl
04-24-2008, 06:53 AM
along those lines... I'll take a non-adjustable Bilstine damper LONG before I'll run any of the inexpensive "coilovers" on the market.

Would Bilstein shocks be ok for a DD? I want something that will improve the handling characteristics of the car and last a while. I don't really care much about ride quality. I can live with a harsh ride. I don't care that they are not adjustable, I wouldn't adjust it anyways.

http://www.bilstein.com/mistore/ymm_productf.php?company_id=100484&year=2002&model_id2=1376&makes=HONDA&storedimg.x=1&storedimg.y=1&storedimg=1&storeYMM=storeYMM

Are these the right ones for our car? Kinda pricey at $1136 + tax/shipping for all four. If I get the Bilsteins I will use the springs I currently have on the car, which are Tanabe GF210 springs (spring rates are: 3.0 kg/mm front, 5.7 kg/mm rear; drop is 1.3in front, 1.5in rear). I was thinking about getting these vs. the Progress Coilovers. Any input would be awesome. :hail:

mustclime
04-24-2008, 06:59 AM
tokico HP struts - $380
H&R Springs - $159
SPC Camber Kit - $145
Alignment - $80

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y19/ThrasherCub/Bashing/1187026735097.jpg

RedSiBaron
04-24-2008, 07:20 AM

ok excellent, yah i see what youre saying and i totally agree...most people wont adjust their shocks like some of us infinite tinkerers will...i spent 6months tweaking the konis and in the end discovered that without the stiff front bar i needed to back off the fronts drasticly

(i was trying to compensate for the excessive roll by stiffening thinking hey i can load it quicker, but it turn it wasnt loading the suspension to get the geometry to work...you know rebound only adjustment...so in the corner the shock would be working itself up and down and the car wouldnt take a set...backed it off, geometry settled down and let me take a set, rolled more but the car was happier and didnt understeer as much, more neutral)

in any case...heh...ill prolly play with the konis more when i get a chance now that i have stiffer bars front and back...

most people wont go through any of that ^^^^haha

Would Bilstein shocks be ok for a DD? I want something that will improve the handling characteristics of the car and last a while. I don't really care much about ride quality. I can live with a harsh ride. I don't care that they are not adjustable, I wouldn't adjust it anyways.

http://www.bilstein.com/mistore/ymm_productf.php?company_id=100484&year=2002&model_id2=1376&makes=HONDA&storedimg.x=1&storedimg.y=1&storedimg=1&storeYMM=storeYMM

Are these the right ones for our car? Kinda pricey at $1136 + tax/shipping for all four. If I get the Bilsteins I will use the springs I currently have on the car, which are Tanabe GF210 springs (spring rates are: 3.0 kg/mm front, 5.7 kg/mm rear; drop is 1.3in front, 1.5in rear). I was thinking about getting these vs. the Progress Coilovers. Any input would be awesome. :hail:

i wouldnt screw around, bilsteins are amazing if they work for what you want to do, once again i dont know if you can lower your car on the ep bilsteins, but for a daily driver, id almost give up the lowering to run bilsteins...i had them on my 86si before i put the konis and jackson racing springs on it, and they were just amazing, only thing was due to internal bumpstops on the bilsteins, if i had lowered it with them, when i pushed it hard into a corner the fronts would have hit the bumpstops and the geometry would have gone to infinity and i would have just plowed in the middle of the corner and gone off...not good...

epshtielsl
04-24-2008, 10:37 AM
i wouldnt screw around, bilsteins are amazing if they work for what you want to do, once again i dont know if you can lower your car on the ep bilsteins, but for a daily driver, id almost give up the lowering to run bilsteins...i had them on my 86si before i put the konis and jackson racing springs on it, and they were just amazing, only thing was due to internal bumpstops on the bilsteins, if i had lowered it with them, when i pushed it hard into a corner the fronts would have hit the bumpstops and the geometry would have gone to infinity and i would have just plowed in the middle of the corner and gone off...not good...

Bump for some more info about the Bilsteins.

SilverStar
04-24-2008, 11:37 AM

what set up you have in mind for under $1000 ?
i wanna see the difference.

ep_hatcher_510
04-24-2008, 11:39 AM

wtf lmao :lol:

mustclime
04-24-2008, 11:47 AM
what set up you have in mind for under $1000 ?
i wanna see the difference.

Ok, blues are stock replacemet, thats it. You want the same crappy damping as stock, then blues are for you.

If you page back on this thread I said a koni/d-spec suspension kit( dampers + matched springs)( 800) ,a 05-06 type-s rear sway with the bushings (80) and front camber bolts(25).....thats under 1000............:mwink:

supreme
04-24-2008, 11:49 AM
i read somewhere that tociko blues are a little more aggressive than stock.

mustclime
04-24-2008, 12:18 PM

check tirerack.com.....718 for a set of 4.

great shocks

mustclime
04-24-2008, 12:23 PM
i read somewhere that tociko blues are a little more aggressive than stock.

Show me a shock dyno with a compairson of stock to blue to prove that.....I spoke to a tokiko regonial rep that told me the that they were stock replacements and that if I was interested in "sportie" driving I should go with the d-specs.

epshtielsl
04-24-2008, 12:23 PM
check tirerack.com.....718 for a set of 4.

great shocks

Thanks for the link. I didn't know tirerack.com sold suspension components. $718 is definitely not a bad price. Can these be used in combination with any spring? A few posts up someone mentioned them not being compatable with lowering springs because of an internal bumpstop or something.

I did the initial search using 2002 as the year for my EP and the only thing that turned up were the Koni shocks. I changed it to 2004 and the Bilsteins came up...weird

mustclime
04-24-2008, 12:29 PM
I would not use them with much more than a 1 1/2 inch drop....I do not care for the H&R set but the Koni or Pro kits will make the car a blast to drive imo.

epshtielsl
04-24-2008, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the info. After I get some money saved up I'll be going for Bilstein shocks and Progress springs (I'm not feeling the -1.3'' front / -1.5'' rear drop my Tanabe springs give).

SilverStar
04-24-2008, 12:58 PM
Ok, blues are stock replacemet, thats it. You want the same crappy damping as stock, then blues are for you.

If you page back on this thread I said a koni/d-spec suspension kit( dampers + matched springs)( 800) ,a 05-06 type-s rear sway with the bushings (80) and front camber bolts(25).....thats under 1000............:mwink:

i got it.
when the thread starters says suspension for a daily driver under $1000, i guess i mainly focused more on getting under $1000 and get the job done.
i didn't think as far as you.
that's why i came up with my own suggestion to the thread starter for under $1000.

the JigGa mAn
04-24-2008, 01:03 PM
tokico HP struts - $380
H&R Springs - $159
SPC Camber Kit - $145
Alignment - $80

you forgot shipping, and install if OP doesnt know how to install items themselves

SilverStar
04-24-2008, 01:10 PM
you forgot shipping, and install if OP doesnt know how to install items themselves

those prices includes shipping from TrueHonda or Showstoppersusa or Corsportusa.
i already checked them.
but, i agree with you on labor if OP doesn't know how.

epshtielsl
04-24-2008, 01:17 PM
Considering how much it would cost to get any springs/shocks/struts installed, factoring labor into the $1,000 budget would severely limit what you can do. I think the $1,000 is for parts only.

SI DRAFTER
04-24-2008, 07:07 PM
some great advice! appreciate it. we will be doing the install. the only thing i need to pay labor for is an alignment. im torn between what i want and what wont break the bank. i can really use the extra $$ for other mods to the car. so would the tokico hp's last a good while with pro-kit or similar(1" drop) spring? or i think someone said you can get spring/strut combo for $600? that sounds like what im lookin for + camber kit (if needed), but where are you seeing these prices? robear only had d-spec kit for 700+sh, didnt have the hp kit.

ep_hatcher_510
04-24-2008, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the info. After I get some money saved up I'll be going for Bilstein shocks and Progress springs (I'm not feeling the -1.3'' front / -1.5'' rear drop my Tanabe springs give).

butt sag lol

MugsyTheGr8
04-24-2008, 07:42 PM
kyb gr2, eibach sportlines, shipped for under 600 from tire rack. you may need a camber kit though.

RedSiBaron
04-24-2008, 08:01 PM
kyb gr2, eibach sportlines, shipped for under 600 from tire rack. you may need a camber kit though.

i always forget about gr2s...good shocks in my experience...does H&R make springs for the ep??? ive always been a huge fan of the h&r + gr2s

my buddies 87 camry handles like a dream with that setup

MugsyTheGr8
04-24-2008, 08:10 PM
i always forget about gr2s...good shocks in my experience...does H&R make springs for the ep??? ive always been a huge fan of the h&r + gr2s

my buddies 87 camry handles like a dream with that setup

they do. a buddy of mine has them on his ep and i love the way they feel from the passenger seat, but they lower the car about 2 inches and make your lcas angle up.

ep_hatcher_510
04-24-2008, 08:16 PM
i thought h&R got the sport 1.5" and race version 2.0" right?

LvisDin
04-24-2008, 08:17 PM

H&R is only 2" and the H&R limited are 2.25". Correct me if Im wrong.

MugsyTheGr8
04-24-2008, 08:20 PM

your thinking of the nuespeed springs

ep_hatcher_510
04-24-2008, 08:25 PM
yeah your right haha, :frusty:

Blue03Si
04-24-2008, 09:12 PM
I see a set of Mugen SS's in my future :mbiggrin:

SI DRAFTER
04-25-2008, 06:06 AM
i called tirerack, they said if you use the gr-2 with any kind of lowering spring, it will void the warranty on the gr-2 shock. all they have otherwise is bilstein or koni prices out the fckn roof. he did say that if i lowered only an inch might not need a camber kit.
so, tokico hp and pro-kit under 600 bucks. where is a good site to order from?

MugsyTheGr8
04-25-2008, 06:10 AM
good call on calling tirerack. i will try and fin a site that stocks blues and eibach springs.

edit: corsportusa.com

blues and sportlines for $500 shipped

RedSiBaron
04-25-2008, 06:16 AM
i called tirerack, they said if you use the gr-2 with any kind of lowering spring, it will void the warranty on the gr-2 shock. all they have otherwise is bilstein or koni prices out the fckn roof. he did say that if i lowered only an inch might not need a camber kit.
so, tokico hp and pro-kit under 600 bucks. where is a good site to order from?

void warrenty on a shock?? i guess im weird but i could care less on a warrenty on a shock if im buying a decent one...then again ive never had a bad experience blowing a shock abnormally quick...

ohdamngetit
04-25-2008, 06:18 AM
hmmm... I just ordered:
Tokico D-Spec's $559
Progress Sport Springs $149
Progress Rear Sway Bar w/ Tie Bar $155
Eibach Camber Kit $145

Total: $1008

SI DRAFTER
04-25-2008, 06:24 AM
good call on calling tirerack. i will try and fin a site that stocks blues and eibach springs.

edit: corsportusa.com

blues and sportlines for $500 shipped

nice, 500 sounds great. i can use the extra $$ to get a header for the Ep, and a chain/ sprocket for the vfr. thks

epshtielsl
04-25-2008, 06:28 AM
hmmm... I just ordered:
Tokico D-Spec's $559
Progress Sport Springs $149
Progress Rear Sway Bar w/ Tie Bar $155
Eibach Camber Kit $145

Total: $1008

Not bad...I wish I had the scrilla to order my new suspension setup. I guess I'll just have to wait a couple of months :mfrown:

ALL MotoR Ep3
05-07-2008, 01:36 PM
I would get Tein Basic or D2 coilovers...

beechstreet
05-07-2008, 01:59 PM
so, tokico hp and pro-kit
thats the setup I have. its ok, but the tokico blues are basically OEM replacement. i can't tell the difference between stock shocks and the tokicos. there are better out there