PDA

View Full Version : how to paint a car ?

thanismo
04-22-2008, 05:34 PM
guys im plannin to paint my car to somethin else but i donno how.. now im doing some research on it.. but i cant find anything that useful..:mangel: can you guys give me some tips? ideas ? anythin that could help.. this will be my backyard project...

KrypTOniTE
04-22-2008, 06:00 PM
given you a heads up... if you really planing to do it yourself... .. the backyard aint goin to do it... Make sure your in a Closed room where no dirt can make contact with watever your painting.... and if u have the skill to air brush then youll be fine.... i personally would just get it painted professionaly..

thanismo
04-22-2008, 06:19 PM
given you a heads up... if you really planing to do it yourself... .. the backyard aint goin to do it... Make sure your in a Closed room where no dirt can make contact with watever your painting.... and if u have the skill to air brush then youll be fine.... i personally would just get it painted professionaly..

yeah i already made a plastic room.. enough space for the works .. just wonder how to take my car apart. like the doors and other stuffs...

KrypTOniTE
04-22-2008, 06:43 PM
yea there should be DIY's on how to breakdown Doors,dash,Font and Back... bumpers..etc. .. just search here!! Goodluck!

PuMpKiN_Ep3
04-22-2008, 06:49 PM
not a good idea..if you are not a professional... :meek:

xsimplistikaznx
04-22-2008, 10:53 PM
not a good idea..if you are not a professional... :meek:

i couldn't agree anymore! it is the saying "you get what you pay for"

Tnhatch03
04-22-2008, 11:01 PM
2004ep3hatch posted a thread about painting. of course, it was deleted during the crash.

thanismo
04-22-2008, 11:06 PM
damn man.. come on guys help me out ...

MR.Pizza
04-22-2008, 11:13 PM
I painted my first car ( POS) with rattle cans. If you take your time and do it right you can get decent results, however I would get it done professional if you care about the car. Of course if you want to save money you can prep the car yourself and flat bed it to a shop to paint. The problem with doing it yourself even if you prep the car right is the quality of the paint & spray equipment.

Drew1d
04-23-2008, 07:53 AM
paint is very toxic, you'd need a respirator.

benkieboy
04-23-2008, 08:33 AM
if you're painting some small parts, i guess you could do it yourself but if you're painting the whole car, i would say have it done professionally

frm_808
04-23-2008, 11:29 AM
wet the floor down so the dust doesnt rise up since its not a pro painting booth

xsimplistikaznx
04-23-2008, 11:46 AM
guys im plannin to paint my car to somethin else but i donno how.. now im doing some research on it.. but i cant find anything that useful..:mangel: can you guys give me some tips? ideas ? anythin that could help.. this will be my backyard project...

for example if you go w/ basic cheap MAACO. of course it will be crap paint. the more expensive the more merrier you should know. but um, painting the car by yourself is hard unless you got the right tools. i done some, but not the full car. paint gotta match. for example, i've done my interior and side skirts w/ regular canned paint at WAL MART. 3-5 bottles worth to paint those things. turned out fabolous like whoa! but i wouldnt use canned paint spray for the whole bodykit or something or even on wheels. it rubs off and ya di ya da. so yeah it all up to you.

thanismo
04-23-2008, 04:51 PM
wat are the steps? sand >prime>paint> clear coat??? like that or wat ? help me

Sprint-R
04-24-2008, 04:05 PM
wet sand the parts with 600-800p sanding paper, tape parts u don't want primer to be on, tip- for gaps like between fender and door use 2 stripes of tape 1 on the fender 1 on the door and then just push them into the gap so they stick together... then whipe your parts with some kind of a degreasing fluid thinner will do better profesional hi quality stuf like ppg spies hecker etc. then you'll need a spraying gun nozle size 1.8mm mix the primer and here we go... no turning back ;) first adjust the air and primer valves and test it on some paper AWAY from the car u dont want those micro dots of dry primer sprayed under main layer of primer. ok I hope it's not very confusing :)) try spraying it on a paper 1st move your hand then in the move start spraying move sloly if it doest run after a while your fine. Adjustment is good and thickness is ok. Surface of sprayed primer should be glossy not mate if it's mate eather you're holding gun too far or primer is too thick. spraying distance 30-35cm. ok here we go first spray hardest parts like top of the fender (mount holes), under side of the wheel arch, inside of gas tank lid. and then finish the big flat parts. Don't take too long as I sayd you don't want edges of your sprays to get hard. for example roof- start spraying from your self towards the midle nice and slow in smooth not edgy ZIG ZAG kinda moving style! Then go roud and finish it from the midle toward your self. number of coats depends on situation usualy it's 3-4 but car is "new" so 2-3 layers will do it's nothing wrong if paint goes on paint as long it's not bare metal. Time between coats - 5-10 mins but check if the wet coat is mate. If it's glossy it's too liqwid and it will run down with the next coat. tip make 1st coat thiner it will dry faster and hold more primer of second coat. Dont make too much coats like 6 or 7 :) you'll fuck everything up, it will dry for a weak and in the end youl get the "DOTS" micro black crap that paint cant fill. I'f u get those u can start sanding down all primer and start again... Your car will look like somebody stabed it with a huge needle a bilion times :) ok 3 layers are on, clean your gun very well with cheap thinner after it's clean leave some of it inside so it won't dry completely. Leave the car for the night AND the other day to dry. Then Leave all papers on the car tip- allways good to spray some very thin paint or coal powder on the primer between sanding sessions ;) shows you all the scratches ant dents. The size of sanding paper depends on the roughness of your last layer. Usualy I do last layer very thin 2parts primer 1 part thiner- prof acrilic thiner not that cheap crap u used for cleaning... If u have a sanding machine (festool kicksasss) use 400p to make it smooth. 400p used with machine is equal to 900 by hand :) and is faster. If you don't have it use 400 by hand WET sanding. I'f you don't have a hose take a botle fith a hole on top to wet the part that is beeing sanded. Doing so youl save paper. It goes like this 400-spray some paint- 600- paint 1000. After you've done with 1000 take paper off and sand the rest parts of car that should get paint with 1000. Now wash the car with water only then dry it with a car window viper and paper roll. Leave it to dry completely... then tape it like u did before, degrease it with some non aggresive thiner for example spies hecker silicone remover 7010. wait till it dryes. it may take a wile but let it dry. and you're ready to paint :) order paint in the shop they'll give you paint, thiner, hardener... mix it in a big clean bucket (I mean 3m measuring/mixing buckets). Allmost forgot put a desposable paper filter on the gun paint tank before pooring the paint in, u don't want any dirt in the paint if u forgot to buy a few use your girlfriends fine stockings don't have a girl. Mom's will do aswell ;) ok painting is easyer than primering easyer but harder to remove misstakes like drips and run downs and stuf.tip to sand down ran down drip and leaks use a hard sanding block like solid plastick best is peace of acrill. I mean that clear thing. It's better to wait with the clear coat 1,5 days like with primer then sand your car flat :) degrease and put the clear coat ;) after it's dry Congrats with new look :) That how I would do If I had time :) Now I'll give my car to Ex collegues to do this shit for me biach ;)))

P.S. for covering/taping use a paper roll or lots of newspapers u don't need the plastic cover thing because paint and primer are not absorbed by plastic cover, therefore it will dry out and fall apart onto your fresh paint. And you'll need a good ventilation unless you want to get hi ;)

suggestion: Acrilic paint's (atleas we call them that) don't need clear coat. If u fuck up u can sand it with 1000/1500 and then just polish or sand all car flat and get a professional to do the polishing in some body shop. Just a thought.

thanismo
04-24-2008, 06:40 PM
wet sand the parts with 600-800p sanding paper, tape parts u don't want primer to be on, tip- for gaps like between fender and door use 2 stripes of tape 1 on the fender 1 on the door and then just push them into the gap so they stick together... then whipe your parts with some kind of a degreasing fluid thinner will do better profesional hi quality stuf like ppg spies hecker etc. then you'll need a spraying gun nozle size 1.8mm mix the primer and here we go... no turning back ;) first adjust the air and primer valves and test it on some paper AWAY from the car u dont want those micro dots of dry primer sprayed under main layer of primer. ok I hope it's not very confusing :)) try spraying it on a paper 1st move your hand then in the move start spraying move sloly if it doest run after a while your fine. Adjustment is good and thickness is ok. Surface of sprayed primer should be glossy not mate if it's mate eather you're holding gun too far or primer is too thick. spraying distance 30-35cm. ok here we go first spray hardest parts like top of the fender (mount holes), under side of the wheel arch, inside of gas tank lid. and then finish the big flat parts. Don't take too long as I sayd you don't want edges of your sprays to get hard. for example roof- start spraying from your self towards the midle nice and slow in smooth not edgy ZIG ZAG kinda moving style! Then go roud and finish it from the midle toward your self. number of coats depends on situation usualy it's 3-4 but car is "new" so 2-3 layers will do it's nothing wrong if paint goes on paint as long it's not bare metal. Time between coats - 5-10 mins but check if the wet coat is mate. If it's glossy it's too liqwid and it will run down with the next coat. tip make 1st coat thiner it will dry faster and hold more primer of second coat. Dont make too much coats like 6 or 7 :) you'll fuck everything up, it will dry for a weak and in the end youl get the "DOTS" micro black crap that paint cant fill. I'f u get those u can start sanding down all primer and start again... Your car will look like somebody stabed it with a huge needle a bilion times :) ok 3 layers are on, clean your gun very well with cheap thinner after it's clean leave some of it inside so it won't dry completely. Leave the car for the night AND the other day to dry. Then Leave all papers on the car tip- allways good to spray some very thin paint or coal powder on the primer between sanding sessions ;) shows you all the scratches ant dents. The size of sanding paper depends on the roughness of your last layer. Usualy I do last layer very thin 2parts primer 1 part thiner- prof acrilic thiner not that cheap crap u used for cleaning... If u have a sanding machine (festool kicksasss) use 400p to make it smooth. 400p used with machine is equal to 900 by hand :) and is faster. If you don't have it use 400 by hand WET sanding. I'f you don't have a hose take a botle fith a hole on top to wet the part that is beeing sanded. Doing so youl save paper. It goes like this 400-spray some paint- 600- paint 1000. After you've done with 1000 take paper off and sand the rest parts of car that should get paint with 1000. Now wash the car with water only then dry it with a car window viper and paper roll. Leave it to dry completely... then tape it like u did before, degrease it with some non aggresive thiner for example spies hecker silicone remover 7010. wait till it dryes. it may take a wile but let it dry. and you're ready to paint :) order paint in the shop they'll give you paint, thiner, hardener... mix it in a big clean bucket (I mean 3m measuring/mixing buckets). Allmost forgot put a desposable paper filter on the gun paint tank before pooring the paint in, u don't want any dirt in the paint if u forgot to buy a few use your girlfriends fine stockings don't have a girl. Mom's will do aswell ;) ok painting is easyer than primering easyer but harder to remove misstakes like drips and run downs and stuf.tip to sand down ran down drip and leaks use a hard sanding block like solid plastick best is peace of acrill. I mean that clear thing. It's better to wait with the clear coat 1,5 days like with primer then sand your car flat :) degrease and put the clear coat ;) after it's dry Congrats with new look :) That how I would do If I had time :) Now I'll give my car to Ex collegues to do this shit for me biach ;)))

P.S. for covering/taping use a paper roll or lots of newspapers u don't need the plastic cover thing because paint and primer are not absorbed by plastic cover, therefore it will dry out and fall apart onto your fresh paint. And you'll need a good ventilation unless you want to get hi ;)

suggestion: Acrilic paint's (atleas we call them that) don't need clear coat. If u fuck up u can sand it with 1000/1500 and then just polish or sand all car flat and get a professional to do the polishing in some body shop. Just a thought.

If i use 1.8mm gun so how many psi should i set it to ? what kind of primer and the paint should i use?(brand name? and best quality ) when i start to sand down my stock paint how do i no when it is good enough to paint it prime? after i paint it prime . do i have to sand it down again before i start to pain the color? after the color do i have to sand it down before i put the clear coats??thanks for your helpsss....

Type Stephen
04-24-2008, 08:57 PM
Check this out.. A little inspiration for ya. Hehe :) Too bad the original link is dead. $50 bucks and elbow grease! Not that i'd recommend you do this to your EP but the principals of painting were all there when the guy was doing it and it came out pretty nice.

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/07/03/need-a-paint-job-50-will-do-it/

dmon
04-24-2008, 09:16 PM
if you spaced out your steps more, it would be way easy on the eyes...

here goes.
1.where ever you dont want to be painted, tape up, or take off. Mkae sure if your taping something thats on the car, dont tape it to close to the edge, or when you take off the tape off the car itll rip the paint

2.you dont need to sand the whole car down. just get scuff pad, and do the entire car intil you can see the clear coat is dull. Oh and get a kind of rough but not to rough scuff pad. If its to coarse, you will have sand scratch swelling. oh and using this is more easy to use than sandpaper
-If its a old car with the clear chipping, you have to sand with 100 grit or less, sandpaper till its gone.

3.Wax and grease remover- put on and take right off. do this to the whole car so you dont have fish eye, and other contaminent to mess up your primer/paint job.

4.Primer- If your paint is all good and shit, just get primer sealer. its help to keep what evers on the old paint down, so it dosnt stain to your new paint.
-If your doing bodywork, use primer surfacer. so you can fill and sand to make your body work nice.
-For primer guns, dont use expensive guns. and yea 1.8 can be used, but for primer you want it kind of thick so you dont have dry spray and crap.
-For body work get a gun with a nozzle size 2.3, so you can spray it one time and can sand.

The more smllaer the nozzle tip size (ex. 1.4,1.3,1.2) thats mainly used for the paint job. the smaller the tip, the finer/smoother the paint will come out.

and plz dont use newspapers to tape up the car. do it right and get the paper painters used. it can be found at automotive stores. or you can just use plastic.

and thats basicly the steps just for primer lol, and prep. i may miss some stuff, so any 1 can correct me, just my first yr of autobdy =D

thanismo
04-25-2008, 12:18 AM
if you spaced out your steps more, it would be way easy on the eyes...

here goes.
1.where ever you dont want to be painted, tape up, or take off. Mkae sure if your taping something thats on the car, dont tape it to close to the edge, or when you take off the tape off the car itll rip the paint

2.you dont need to sand the whole car down. just get scuff pad, and do the entire car intil you can see the clear coat is dull. Oh and get a kind of rough but not to rough scuff pad. If its to coarse, you will have sand scratch swelling. oh and using this is more easy to use than sandpaper
-If its a old car with the clear chipping, you have to sand with 100 grit or less, sandpaper till its gone.

3.Wax and grease remover- put on and take right off. do this to the whole car so you dont have fish eye, and other contaminent to mess up your primer/paint job.

4.Primer- If your paint is all good and shit, just get primer sealer. its help to keep what evers on the old paint down, so it dosnt stain to your new paint.
-If your doing bodywork, use primer surfacer. so you can fill and sand to make your body work nice.
-For primer guns, dont use expensive guns. and yea 1.8 can be used, but for primer you want it kind of thick so you dont have dry spray and crap.
-For body work get a gun with a nozzle size 2.3, so you can spray it one time and can sand.

The more smllaer the nozzle tip size (ex. 1.4,1.3,1.2) thats mainly used for the paint job. the smaller the tip, the finer/smoother the paint will come out.

and plz dont use newspapers to tape up the car. do it right and get the paper painters used. it can be found at automotive stores. or you can just use plastic.

and thats basicly the steps just for primer lol, and prep. i may miss some stuff, so any 1 can correct me, just my first yr of autobdy =D

thanks alot mang.....

Check this out.. A little inspiration for ya. Hehe :) Too bad the original link is dead. $50 bucks and elbow grease! Not that i'd recommend you do this to your EP but the principals of painting were all there when the guy was doing it and it came out pretty nice.

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/07/03/need-a-paint-job-50-will-do-it/

i think my ep3 wont look even close to that ...lol .. nice find thou..

dmon
04-25-2008, 12:46 AM
BTW, what are you painting man? is there any body work in it? i can help you out as much as i can, i juss need the info. and if you want to do a top quality paint job, or cheap kine. in our class we just covered painintg, so its still fresh in my head lol

Sprint-R
04-25-2008, 07:52 AM
30-100psi, sanding is requaeired for primer and paint to stick to the surface. You have to sand surface till it looks dull before you put primer than sand the primer til it's flat then lay the paint wait till it dries out Sand it and the put the clear coat. Scuff pads alone take too long. Better sand it and finish it with these 3M SCOTCH-BRITE HAND PADS http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/graphics/3mfinepads.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/cs/sandingproducts.html&h=400&w=356&sz=34&hl=ru&start=12&tbnid=98ez-tUajbodnM:&tbnh=124&tbnw=110&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dscotch%2Bbrite%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Dru%26 sa%3DG Grey ones are equal to 1000 what they do is make surface look equaly dull after them it doesn't matter if u were sanding in one direction or not... Brand's PPG and SPIES HECKER are good brands! We haven't used others don't know what u have there in states :) 3m is best company for sand paper polishing stuf and so on. Industrial stuf ;) SATA spray guns rock.http://www.sata.com/Produkte/Autolackierer/index.jsp

Man I want to open my own business. :) I love car refinishing. Hey Dmon how much do you earn? :)

dmon
04-25-2008, 11:11 AM
30-100psi, sanding is requaeired for primer and paint to stick to the surface. You have to sand surface till it looks dull before you put primer than sand the primer til it's flat then lay the paint wait till it dries out Sand it and the put the clear coat. Scuff pads alone take too long. Better sand it and finish it with these 3M SCOTCH-BRITE HAND PADS http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/graphics/3mfinepads.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/cs/sandingproducts.html&h=400&w=356&sz=34&hl=ru&start=12&tbnid=98ez-tUajbodnM:&tbnh=124&tbnw=110&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dscotch%2Bbrite%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Dru%26 sa%3DG Grey ones are equal to 1000 what they do is make surface look equaly dull after them it doesn't matter if u were sanding in one direction or not... Brand's PPG and SPIES HECKER are good brands! We haven't used others don't know what u have there in states :) 3m is best company for sand paper polishing stuf and so on. Industrial stuf ;) SATA spray guns rock.http://www.sata.com/Produkte/Autolackierer/index.jsp

Man I want to open my own business. :) I love car refinishing. Hey Dmon how much do you earn? :)

lol i dont. im a student lol haha...

and you forgot to mention what type of spray gun that uses that much air. the conventional spray gun uses high amount of air. and it waste alot of paint also.

if you want to save air + primer/paint get an HVLP spray gun. the regular ones uses about 50 PSI of air. And you have to learn to adjust the gun so you dont make lots of runs/dry spray/orange peel, and more i think... But if you get the high end spray guns, you only need bout 16 psi of air to go in. less stress on the compressor, but youll be spending alot on the gun (450+)

good luck man

thanismo
04-25-2008, 12:52 PM
BTW, what are you painting man? is there any body work in it? i can help you out as much as i can, i juss need the info. and if you want to do a top quality paint job, or cheap kine. in our class we just covered painintg, so its still fresh in my head lol

oh yeah im tryin to go with da top quality with my ep3.. i got some friends that gonna help me out..and thanks

thanismo
04-25-2008, 12:55 PM
my project gonna start real soon cuz now am trying to get all the infos and the parts...

dmon
04-25-2008, 11:03 PM
ok now we talkn. if you want top quality shit, stay with one brand of products. dupont is has one of the best paints. but its gonna cost you moneyyyyyy. and damn man to make a good paint job, your going to need to know alot of crap. my best advise, ask someone from an body shop for help lol. but i can try my best and help you out man

Matt
04-25-2008, 11:13 PM
Remove anything that contains silicone from your garage. Silicone in the air will guarantee you fisheyes. If you've recently used any silicone products in your garage, Id clean everything with a sovlent. It can cling to surfaces like ceilings for months. Then fall onto you wet paint win it comes into contact with the solvent fumes from the paint. Silcione is a easy way to ruin a paint job.

dmon
04-26-2008, 02:16 PM
Remove anything that contains silicone from your garage. Silicone in the air will guarantee you fisheyes. If you've recently used any silicone products in your garage, Id clean everything with a sovlent. It can cling to surfaces like ceilings for months. Then fall onto you wet paint win it comes into contact with the solvent fumes from the paint. Silcione is a easy way to ruin a paint job.

yea that. if you painting in your garage, make sure you dont have wax or anything. for some reason wax can cause shit in your paintjob. and wen you paint, shoot the floor and walls around you. you dont want dust floating around and crap.

thanismo
04-27-2008, 01:41 AM
thanks alot for ur help guys .. i have a big plastic room for the paintin in my back yard..
like a tent or something.. my uncle gave it to me so ima use it... does the temperature matter? cuz last time i set it up.. it was hot in there.. really hot.. its a clear plastic.. can see thru..... so do i have to cool it down first ? or its better for the paintin when its hot??

dmon
04-27-2008, 01:40 PM
thanks alot for ur help guys .. i have a big plastic room for the paintin in my back yard..
like a tent or something.. my uncle gave it to me so ima use it... does the temperature matter? cuz last time i set it up.. it was hot in there.. really hot.. its a clear plastic.. can see thru..... so do i have to cool it down first ? or its better for the paintin when its hot??

ill tell you one thing. if ties an enclosed room, dont put anything that has sparks. because the fumes from the over spray will make a big boom. and for paints theres different paint temp. catalyst. if its enclosed, try make a lil places on the bottem where air can pass in. cuz then you gonna have to find the temp of the room, and get the right catalyst to make a good paint job