PDA

View Full Version : Modest Speaker Setup

p1nk50ck
04-23-2008, 10:45 AM
Hey,

I've done some searching, but i haven't quite found a straight answer yet. i've also been looking at crutchfield for sizing, but they don't exactly have the right answer either. Unfortunately, a lot of the pictures posted in some of the older threads are now gone, so i don't really have that to look at either.

The EP3 is my daily. I use it for long commuting, which also involves putting the back seats down, and lugging a lot of stuff in the car. which means i cannot have a sub box in the rear. i can't even really afford to have a custom enclosure, since cargo space is very precious. I've done a lot of custom stereo stuff in the past, and i personally don't want to go crazy with this car. However, the front driver's side speaker is starting to crackle, and i'd like to upgrade.

I've already changed the headunit out to a Sony MEX-BT5000, which isn't the greatest thing out there, but it matches the dash, and allows me to use the bluetooth features of my phone (for voice and music). it's more than good enough for what i need in a head unit.

I have two options. one is the cheaper route, and would involve just getting some decent 2-way speakers to fit in the front doors and the rears. powered by the headunit. (52 watt max) has anyone done this with any success? which 2-ways would you recommend?

the other option is to go with some 5.25" speakers up front, perhaps components up front if they fit my budget, and these in the rear:

Kicker CompVT 6.5" shallow subs
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=520&i=2068C65VT4&c=3&tp=111

6.5" diameter
2-13/16" mounting depth

has anyone heard these? they're basically shallow 6.5" subs. i know they're not going to shake the roof off, but i'm not looking for that. i'm looking for something to fill up the sound spectrum within the cabin. i currently have no bass at all, and my front driver's side speaker is on its way out. i would probably power these with a small amp hidden under one of the front seats. probably driver's side, since i don't move it much.

most of the speakers that crutchfield says that fits the rears is around 6.5" and a top mount depth of 2.5". the shallow subs are more like 2.8", so i'm not sure how well they would mount up. i'd love to see some pictures of what the rear panels look like, so i know what i'm working with. i'd go out there and check myself, but i haven't been able to find any DIY's on how to take the rear panels off.

72chevel
04-23-2008, 11:29 AM
for removing the back panels they have a slot for a flat tip screwdriver to "persuade" it off. once you get it off take out the speaker a marvel at how much room is back there!! I am puting in speakers from scratch when I got my ep all the speakers were missing so I guess I'll start over. I can snap a picture after work if no one beats me to it.

I have seen the little subs you are talking about. but I haven't heard them to me it looks like there would be plenty of room in the rears.

xsimplistikaznx
04-23-2008, 11:35 AM
those subs are tight!

epshtielsl
04-23-2008, 11:40 AM
I have Alpine Type-R speakers in the front (components) and rear. I could use a 4 channel amp but they sound pretty decent.

p1nk50ck
04-23-2008, 02:05 PM
I have Alpine Type-R speakers in the front (components) and rear. I could use a 4 channel amp but they sound pretty decent.

what size? model? are they being powered by your factory head unit? or after market? and what do you mean by "pretty decent". ie - how do they compare to factory, how do they compare to say... your average computer desktop speakers?

for removing the back panels they have a slot for a flat tip screwdriver to "persuade" it off. once you get it off take out the speaker a marvel at how much room is back there!! I am puting in speakers from scratch when I got my ep all the speakers were missing so I guess I'll start over. I can snap a picture after work if no one beats me to it.

I have seen the little subs you are talking about. but I haven't heard them to me it looks like there would be plenty of room in the rears.

If you could snap some pics, that would be amazing.

Thanks for the tip. i might just go home and start tearing things apart. i'd love to see what i can actually fit in there. hell, if i can fit a full sized 6.5" sub, even better. or an 8" whoopdie doo!

ugh... but here i go again. i always do this. my plan is to ultimately make a sound system that is stealth and enjoyable (i park my car on the street, and my IS300 just recently got broken into with a few thousand bucks worth of stuff stolen :violin: so i'm hesitant to put anything "nice" that's visible) I don't need a massive system that will set off car alarms. just something that doesn't sound like crap, and that will still produce clear sound when the windows are down and the sunroof back.

i'm still throwing around tons of ideas. i also just realized that the economic stimulus package comes in about a month, so my budget will be a little more relaxed. i found an alpine 4 ch amp (50x4) for about 150 shipped on ebay new. components will run about 125 bucks shipped. and those kickers run about 110 each. so for that setup, i'll be looking at about 500 bucks. not too shabby.

jimmmay
04-23-2008, 02:19 PM
www.edesignaudio.com

cheap, and good.

p1nk50ck
04-23-2008, 05:05 PM
www.edesignaudio.com

cheap, and good.

Thanks for the tip. and from a local too!

one of these days i'll be able to get out to one of these meets and meet you in person.

i did manage to have a gander at the rear panels. i dunno why, but i thought i had to take the whole side panel off to get to the speakers. i didn't know how easy it was.

i simply pulled up on each side of the bottom seats to "unpop" the little button thingies. then i wedged a screw driver on the bottom ledge of the plastic speaker cover. i chose to go this way, in case the screw driver left marks on the plastic (the rear seat bottoms would cover them up)

there's definitely plenty of room back there, and 6.5" speakers of pretty much any available depth will do.

thanks for all of the help anyone. i would still like some other opinions from folks who might have had experience with the shallow subs... although now i guess i can browse around for full sized 6.5" subs. anyone heard anything else good in that size?

p1nk50ck
04-24-2008, 08:14 AM
meh... i've decided to go the cheap route. i snagged a pair of 6.5" alpine type r 2-ways for the rear from my other car, and picked up a set of 5.25" alpine type-s's 2-ways for the front. i'll be putting some foam baffles behind the speakers to give them a little more "oomph" and perhaps dynamat around the area just a tad bit to enhance the sound.

if this doesn't give me what i want, i'll throw some 6.5" subs in the rear panels in a few months with an amp.

thanks for the help everyone.

epshtielsl
04-24-2008, 08:31 AM
what size? model? are they being powered by your factory head unit? or after market? and what do you mean by "pretty decent". ie - how do they compare to factory, how do they compare to say... your average computer desktop speakers?

These up front (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8222318&type=product&id=1166840026793)

These in the back (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8222336&type=product&id=1166840026861)

Stock headunit. They sound much better than factory, almost as good as my Altec Lansing computer speakers. I'm sure if I get an aftermarket headunit or 4 channel amp they will sound even better.