PDA

View Full Version : running extra speakers?

dashehonda
04-23-2008, 10:04 PM
I want to run two more speakers in the hatch cover, ill use nice ones with covers, but do i have to use an amp? or can i just either tap into the other rear speakers, or since my headunit has outputs for subs, can i run wires to those or something? I was just trying to find the cleaner way to do this

Tnhatch03
04-23-2008, 10:12 PM
you could run it to your head unit, if it has enough power to do that.

otherwise, you could look into a crossover. i have not had a system since, haha, 2004.

dashehonda
04-23-2008, 10:13 PM
you could run it to your head unit, if it has enough power to do that.

otherwise, you could look into a crossover. i have not had a system since, haha, 2004.

Whats a crossover? im just curious, i just dont want to blow anything

Tnhatch03
04-23-2008, 10:17 PM
basically, it is an amp. i do not know the specifics to it, but here is some links that will help.

http://www.termpro.com/articles/xover.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_crossover

p1nk50ck
04-23-2008, 10:51 PM
a crossover eliminates frequency ranges to help protect your speakers. ie - you can have a crossover that eliminates frequencies below 200hz to help protect your normal speakers, and then you can have a crossover that eliminates frequencies above 200hz to protect your subs. most amps and some headunits have crossovers built in, but the standalone ones are much more accurate, and flexible.

what you're trying to do is actually fairly simple. you'll have to let us know a little bit more about how your car's audio system is set up though.

for example: lets say you have an aftermarket headunit, with 4 RCA plugs going to a 4-channel amp. this will power your front two door speakers and rear two panel speakers. you would have speaker wires going from the 4-channel amp directly to your 2 speakers up front, and 2 speakers in the rear.

you could then daisy chain another 2-channel amp to your current 4-channel amp through the RCA outs on the 4-channel amp. you would run a new set of speaker wires from the 2-channel amp to the speakers you installed on the hatch.

if you're going to go through the trouble of doing all of this, i would suggest installing at least 2 6x9's on the hatch or perhaps 2 8" shallow subs

this being said, you could technically tap into the speaker wires of the rear speakers. however, you won't get much sound out of those hatch speakers, and unless they're rated for low wattage, you'll probably end up eventually blowing the rear speakers and the hatch speakers if you're running your system without an amplifier.

xsimplistikaznx
04-24-2008, 12:47 AM
i am running 6 speakers w/ a sub under one big ol' 4 CHANNEL amp! love it :mbiggrin:

bchaney
04-24-2008, 06:45 AM
I think more than one set of speakers is unnecessary, especially in the small ep.

Rear fill is okay if you really care about your backseat passengers. Three sets of speakers? Total overkill.

talonXracer
04-24-2008, 06:51 AM
I do not have ANY rear speakers other than the sub, front components only. You do not have musicians sitting behind you at a concert or music hall do you?

The only time I could see a rear speaker being used is with a video surround sound system.

oogy-boogy
04-24-2008, 06:58 AM
Not the best idea if you want realistic sound. A good set of components up front is all that's necessary. Rears need only be on for fill. My last set up had a set of CDT mids in the rear with no tweeter. It allowed for just enough rear fill so as to not destroy my front sound stage.

Chad
04-24-2008, 07:17 AM
I do not have ANY rear speakers other than the sub, front components only. You do not have musicians sitting behind you at a concert or music hall do you?

The only time I could see a rear speaker being used is with a video surround sound system.

Not the best idea if you want realistic sound. A good set of components up front is all that's necessary. Rears need only be on for fill. My last set up had a set of CDT mids in the rear with no tweeter. It allowed for just enough rear fill so as to not destroy my front sound stage.

Although I don't have rear speakers for my audio there IS a way to use rear fill and make it work. One can either derive a L-R (Left Minus Right) signal and send it back there so no center panned information arrives to them OR utilize 1940's technology and use Haas Effect, by delaying the rear speakers about 20-30Ms from the ORIGINAL ARRIVAL TIME of the front speakers you won't hear them back there, or at least your mind wont ;) It's used in pro audio for delay towers all the time, if they are alligned perfectly in the time domain you can hear tonal differenced and poissible level changes, by dealying them 20-30 Feet MORE than you should you can get about 10dB more gain out of them before they are ever noticed as being even turned on! This works for "rear fill" too and can alleviate some problems such as "2 images" and "low stage"

Chad

oogy-boogy
04-24-2008, 07:20 AM
Another great post...Welcome back Chad.

ClouD
04-24-2008, 08:03 AM
I wouldn't want to cut into the hatch cover, to some that would be considered a crime. The stock rear speaker location should be sufficient. The outputs for subs, might as well buy a amp/sub and some decent componets for the front and you should be set.

p1nk50ck
04-24-2008, 08:10 AM

i agree, but some people just wanna do what they wanna do :rockon:

CajunSi
04-24-2008, 09:45 AM
Just put in an aftermarket componet set in the front and 2 way 6 1/2 in the backseat. If you head unit is strong enough use it to power them. If not then just get a small 4 channel amp to push them. That should be enough sound.

bchaney
04-24-2008, 02:00 PM

CDT ftw. I have some CDT comps up front, amazing sound.