PDA

View Full Version : Help with installing Buddy club short shifter

epmex
04-24-2008, 04:09 PM
how do you install? its hard to get to the bottom of the linkage! :fear:
sow far the but is of and 4 bolts holding the shifter. but the base i can snap it out?
help

Standard Issue
04-24-2008, 06:54 PM
Also waiting for this DIY.....

Unknownally
04-24-2008, 07:31 PM
Man, so many threads gone down the drain =(

gsx~r
04-24-2008, 09:17 PM
waiting for a DIY :bump:

the JigGa mAn
04-25-2008, 01:21 AM
a member from clubep3.net sent me this DIY in a pm so i thought id post it up to help you out, there is a diagram at the bottom for visual aide

ok your gonna need a ratchet (i used 1/4 but 3/8 is fine), and extention, 8mm socket i believe is the size(have others in case) small flathead screw driver preferably pocket size, have a philips too. ill provide a picture of the whole assembly at the end

1. start by removing the shift knob. it will unscrew off.

2A. carefully (and i stress this alot) pry the plastic dash trim around the boot off. this is where that small screw drive comes into play. carefully pry around the edge till if comes off. disconnect the connector holding the hazard button. then pull the entire peice off the shift lever.

2B. also it is a little more work and time but a safer way. remove the glove box. there are two glove box stops remove those by pushing from the outside they will pop in and remove them. then on the bottom there are two bolts that hold the glove box on remove them and pull glove box out. be sure to hold the glove box because it will fall. then take a ratchet with and 11" extension wraped in a rag and come from behind the platic peice around the shifter and starting at the pass side upper corner and push it out then push below that to get it started. there should be two clips that have been undone and you can pull the remainder of it off by hand. careful not to break them.

3. this will make it a little easier. there will be a small metal bar held on by a few screws. remove the screw and the bar to make a little more room for when removing the shifter. it does help.

4. now once all of the trim is out of the way start by removing the the clips holding the shifter cables on. they come off easy but be careful not to drop them. its not easy to recover them if you do. then remove the cables from the shifter. make sure you remember or mark which side is which.

5. ok still one more step to remove the shifter cables. once the clips and cable are off the top look further down. the cables are connected to the bottom of the shifter mechanism. you will need to rotate them toward the opening then pull it out and you have them free. these can prove to be difficult but they will twist.

6. now with the cables done remove the the 4 bolts holding the shifter to the car and place them aside.

7. now comes the tricky part. removing the entire assembly. really all you can do here is move it around till you get the right angle to pull it out. this is where i spend the most time at. keep at it it will come out. do the same for when but you New BCSS in.

8. now just reverse all the steps above and you have installed you BCSS. if all goes well it will take you between 30min to 1 hour. let me know the day you are gonna do it so i can keep and eye on this place to pm's if you have any questions.

heres a picture of the entire assembly

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/9827/shiftercopyvm2.jpg

Standard Issue
04-25-2008, 03:04 AM
F#ck that, too hard lol

Rasy
04-25-2008, 10:14 AM
Not really difficult as you think, it just requires patience (trust me I know, I installed one).

Kodeen
04-25-2008, 10:24 AM
The most annoying part is removing the center console & unhooking the cable guides. It's not difficult, but it's one of those things that might have you cussin. "Why won't you f****** turn!? Turn, you piece of s***!!!"

Etc...

lldiesel386ll
04-25-2008, 11:21 AM
:rofl:
haha...it definitely requires a bit of patience...there was definitely alot of cursing involved along the whole process

dmon
04-25-2008, 11:34 AM
the way i took mine out...

i got a BIG flat head screw driver. like the ones thats 1' long. den i put it on the tab, and used the shifter for something to push on, and it should slide out. i tried it with just my hands and stuff, but its two hard. when i buss out the flat head, went like butter

good luck man

ohdamngetit
04-25-2008, 12:33 PM
doesn't seem too difficult.....

I'll update later on how much I cuss LoL

civictype_r04
04-25-2008, 01:08 PM
doesn't seem too difficult.....

I'll update later on how much I cuss LoL

It really isn't I had mine in in about 25 min.

Unknownally
04-25-2008, 05:56 PM
A mod worth the money I've heard...way better than Neuspeed's.

If you update us on how much you cuss...might as well take pictures of each step to make this DIY easier!

ClouD
04-25-2008, 06:16 PM
It wasn't hard when I took it out of my friends ep. The short shifter felt really nice and percise when I was driving the car. It was given to me and I gave it away. : ( Who knew I would end up with a Ep.

the JigGa mAn
04-25-2008, 07:43 PM
A mod worth the money I've heard...way better than Neuspeed's.

If you update us on how much you cuss...might as well take pictures of each step to make this DIY easier!

i agree with you 100% that its very very very well worth the money the shifts are not only shorter but crisper..throw on a weighted shift knob like skunk 2 or blox or whatever company you want and its PERFECT!

i cant believe i sat on this for almost a year before i installed it

epmex
04-26-2008, 03:42 AM
dam i love it yoow after my hands are cut up and shit!:mcry:
but realy loving the short sfifter its a pain in the ass to clip out the wires or what ever there cald :tea:

meklz
04-26-2008, 05:26 AM
The BC SS was the best mod ever for my EP.

I never had a car with a better shift feeling!

skoolnu
04-26-2008, 05:32 AM
Im puttin mine in today... i tried last night, but but those clips on the base of the shifter are a real bastard.

Ribby

jimmyjames
04-26-2008, 08:27 AM
Changed thread title and moved this as it is not a DIY but asking for assistance how to install something. (DIY is for DIYs only)

cHaRL!e
04-27-2008, 01:03 PM
i just installed mine.. the bolts are 12mm, not 8. you need to turn both clips counter clockwise. i used a long flat head to turn it. once it's out and replaced with the short shifter, turn the clips clockwise a bit first, push the clips into place, and turn them clockwise to mount them into place.

oh and to make more space, i removed the center console where the radio is.. it gave me a lot more room

jdmep3!
04-29-2008, 03:43 PM
i did it in about 45 mins pm me if u need help
didnt take anything out but the center console where the e-brake is

jdmep3!
04-29-2008, 03:47 PM
i did it in about 45 mins pm me if u need help
didnt take anything out but center console where the e-brake is

rd02SiR
04-29-2008, 04:08 PM
i did the ss and the alum bushings, and what a diffrence!!! i love it!!! the hardest part was the black knobs on the bottom, those were a bitch to get off.

ALL MotoR Ep3
04-29-2008, 04:31 PM
a member from clubep3.net sent me this DIY in a pm so i thought id post it up to help you out, there is a diagram at the bottom for visual aide

ok your gonna need a ratchet (i used 1/4 but 3/8 is fine), and extention, 8mm socket i believe is the size(have others in case) small flathead screw driver preferably pocket size, have a philips too. ill provide a picture of the whole assembly at the end

1. start by removing the shift knob. it will unscrew off.

2A. carefully (and i stress this alot) pry the plastic dash trim around the boot off. this is where that small screw drive comes into play. carefully pry around the edge till if comes off. disconnect the connector holding the hazard button. then pull the entire peice off the shift lever.

2B. also it is a little more work and time but a safer way. remove the glove box. there are two glove box stops remove those by pushing from the outside they will pop in and remove them. then on the bottom there are two bolts that hold the glove box on remove them and pull glove box out. be sure to hold the glove box because it will fall. then take a ratchet with and 11" extension wraped in a rag and come from behind the platic peice around the shifter and starting at the pass side upper corner and push it out then push below that to get it started. there should be two clips that have been undone and you can pull the remainder of it off by hand. careful not to break them.

3. this will make it a little easier. there will be a small metal bar held on by a few screws. remove the screw and the bar to make a little more room for when removing the shifter. it does help.

4. now once all of the trim is out of the way start by removing the the clips holding the shifter cables on. they come off easy but be careful not to drop them. its not easy to recover them if you do. then remove the cables from the shifter. make sure you remember or mark which side is which.

5. ok still one more step to remove the shifter cables. once the clips and cable are off the top look further down. the cables are connected to the bottom of the shifter mechanism. you will need to rotate them toward the opening then pull it out and you have them free. these can prove to be difficult but they will twist.

6. now with the cables done remove the the 4 bolts holding the shifter to the car and place them aside.

7. now comes the tricky part. removing the entire assembly. really all you can do here is move it around till you get the right angle to pull it out. this is where i spend the most time at. keep at it it will come out. do the same for when but you New BCSS in.

8. now just reverse all the steps above and you have installed you BCSS. if all goes well it will take you between 30min to 1 hour. let me know the day you are gonna do it so i can keep and eye on this place to pm's if you have any questions.

heres a picture of the entire assembly

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/9827/shiftercopyvm2.jpg

Couldnt have said it any better.......bump ttt.....

epmex
04-30-2008, 01:51 AM
haaaaaaa i was looking for my thread! still loving the BCSS!

mikebigh
05-06-2008, 07:45 PM
I just finished doing this install. I have a long pair of bent needle nose, they get right on the clips to turn em, easiest part.

The plastic bushings I got with the BC didn't fit into my shifter cables, I got the old ones off the stock shifter and used them. It doesn't work though cause there is alot of play in between the metal ball of the short sifter and the stock plastic bushing. ...you guys have that problem?

clone0000
05-15-2008, 03:37 PM
I just finished doing this install. I have a long pair of bent needle nose, they get right on the clips to turn em, easiest part.

The plastic bushings I got with the BC didn't fit into my shifter cables, I got the old ones off the stock shifter and used them. It doesn't work though cause there is alot of play in between the metal ball of the short sifter and the stock plastic bushing. ...you guys have that problem?

Watch out for the plastic...Got many many cuts onme hands!:mcry:

Blaine
05-15-2008, 07:52 PM
This info will be helpful

KrypTOniTE
05-18-2008, 06:10 AM
i was thinking of getting one... but didnt know if there worth the money .. and quality may be poor and cheap!! ... i just wanted to kno .. if they feel like the s2000 shifters... those r sweet and easier to shift.. and tired of shifting to gears like if i was driving those huge ass trucks.... please more info...

chubbychu
05-18-2008, 12:29 PM
uhh no. quality is good and not cheap. And now you know :D

its not exactly like an s2000 shifter but it IS maybe 20-40% smoother than stock. and foward and backward throws are probably...30% shorter? or a little less.

You can buy it at any of our online vendors; past and present AND...its patience consuming to install due to the tight space in the console.

socal_brandon2
06-06-2008, 01:48 PM
Tried this last night, so far still no luck in getting the clips at the bottom off, any tips? I can get em to turn, but the fuckers WONT BUDGE!
;)

goldEp
04-16-2010, 05:27 AM
the way i took mine out...

i got a BIG flat head screw driver. like the ones thats 1' long. den i put it on the tab, and used the shifter for something to push on, and it should slide out. i tried it with just my hands and stuff, but its two hard. when i buss out the flat head, went like butter

good luck man

listen to this guy..!!! i did and it took me 20 minutes to install the shifter.. easy if you do it this way..!! ill post pictures..
http://i795.photobucket.com/albums/yy233/86C20/Ep3/DSCF2114.jpg
so this is how it looks like right..

now you do this..
http://i795.photobucket.com/albums/yy233/86C20/Ep3/DSCF2113.jpg
i used a big pry bar. and just twisted the tab using the cable itself as a back.. the driver side cable gets twisted clock wise and the passanger side cable gets twisted counter clockwise..

this id the driverside cable once its twisted and ready to come of...
http://i795.photobucket.com/albums/yy233/86C20/Ep3/DSCF2114.jpg

SORRY ABOUT THE BIG PICTURES I JUST NOTICED ALOT OF PEOPLE HAVING A HARD TIME.. OH YEA.AND BEFORE I FIGURED IT OUT THERE WAS ALOT OF CURSING INVOLVED..

THIS IS AFTER THE HARD PART BEFORE THE LOCKING METAL THINGIES..LOL THE LITTLE METAL SPRINGS THAT LOCK THE WIRES TO THE SHIFTER..DONT FORGET TO INSTALL THIS.. WIRES WILL DISCONECT WHILE DRIVING..
http://i795.photobucket.com/albums/yy233/86C20/Ep3/DSCF2116.jpg

then since i had the center dash covers off i desided to do the other DIY and painted it black...
http://i795.photobucket.com/albums/yy233/86C20/Ep3/DSCF2117.jpg

second coat.. still needing two more coats...
http://i795.photobucket.com/albums/yy233/86C20/Ep3/DSCF2118.jpg

from time i got in the car to the time i installed everything..it took me 1hr.. that included having to go to the store for the paint and dry time..

hope this helps you guys out..
oh and yea i think its worth the buck.. i love this shifter stiffer and shorter and it comes with an extention but i didnt use it so my shift knob sits lower and i love the way it looks....pm if any questions..

02EP3SI
04-16-2010, 05:36 AM
Easiest way is to take out the center console and reach up from the bottom.. I can take mine out in have it back in about 15 min.

Kerby
04-16-2010, 09:53 AM
Easiest way is to take out the center console and reach up from the bottom.. I can take mine out in have it back in about 15 min.

man speaks truth. That's how I did mine.

usedep3
04-16-2010, 12:25 PM

this! you can even take out those 2 metal brakets behind the accessory socket for more room. this is best way to get access to the bottom of the shifter. it requires a little more time to take the console out, but its worth it.

goldEp
04-16-2010, 02:23 PM
idk.. i installed the shifter in 20 min total..only reason it took me an hr is couse i painted the dash peice also..the screw driver trick takes two minutes for both sides..that was the easiest way for me...

k3rry
05-07-2010, 11:59 AM
installed mines today and i love it..... took about an hour because the driver side cable didn't wana go in so i had to get hardcore with it haha... used the prying with a big flathead and worked out great....what is the lube for??

thakid
05-07-2010, 01:08 PM
Shifts nice now I just need the bushings

RHCP0801
05-07-2010, 01:35 PM
by the far one of the best upgrades i ever did for my car, i have this along with a skunk2 knob and shifter bushings....perfect feel

str8upballur
05-20-2010, 06:47 PM
just finished installing bcss. wat a pain in the a$$ is was. i used the screwdriver method too and the driver side cable didnt wanna move at all. i ended up taking my whole center console (where ebrake is located) apart to try nd get to it from underneath, i ended up being able to access it thru the 12v hole after i removed it. it was a pain but well worth it. shifts are much smoother and reduced throw by about 25-30%.

MadLorEP3
01-29-2011, 08:06 AM
ok Im about to do this as well
tnx for the write up

Goldep...how did you take off all the knobs from the center piece before you painted them

BeaterEP
01-29-2011, 08:30 AM
They're all held on with Phillips screws from the back of the panel. Just unscrew, and pull the actual knobs off the front, and the whole thing will pop right out.
The climate control knobs are what I'm talking about, that run vertically up the left side. The knobs are indexed, too, so no worries about putting them on crooked. :mbiggrin:

As for the buttons along the bottom (AC/Recirc./Defogger) should be even easier, just unscrew the assembly, pop it off.

MadLorEP3
01-29-2011, 09:06 AM
They're all held on with Phillips screws from the back of the panel. Just unscrew, and pull the actual knobs off the front, and the whole thing will pop right out.
The climate control knobs are what I'm talking about, that run vertically up the left side. The knobs are indexed, too, so no worries about putting them on crooked. :mbiggrin:

As for the buttons along the bottom (AC/Recirc./Defogger) should be even easier, just unscrew the assembly, pop it off.

AWESOME

tnx bud

Im gonna take them off and see what I want to do with the center piece...either vinyl wrap of send the off to dip-tech for cf paint...

Rekognize
03-23-2011, 09:10 PM
Thanks for the tips guys, my install took about an hour .. same screwdriver trick and I also remove the hvac/radio piece to save my knuckles

02TWSI
04-14-2011, 10:13 PM
So how do you remove the center console?

khiemboy
05-06-2011, 01:13 AM
So how do you remove the center console?

+1

BigBurch422
05-06-2011, 07:03 AM
+1

take off shift knob (just unscrews)
push fingers into shift boot and hook your fingers behind it
pull...should pop right off
top part, just pull off
maybe use a screwdriver around the edges to help pry
essentially both pieces just pull off and then you unplug and electrical components

Jmage
05-06-2011, 02:46 PM
top part, just pull off

Wrong, there is 2 10mm screw holding the top part. You'll need a "ratchet key" for this of just a 10mm key but it's long to unscrew with 1/4 a turn at a time lol. And you DON'T need to remove them completly, just unscrew them a little so you can pull the top part. Don't pull the top piece without loosing them or else you'll break something. Yours probly come off by itself because the guys who removed it last time didn't screw the bolt back and just let it sit on them.

EDIT: Now that I think of it, there is a bracket you need to remove first that hold the top part before even reaching the 10mm screw I was talking about. And there is a bunch of wire attached to this too. Nothing hard to do tho...

And by "Center Console" I think he means the complete black piece of plastic under the shifter, no?

I made a How-To for this in 2008 but it was lost in the crash... I'll try to find it and post it again.

Jmage
05-06-2011, 03:01 PM
There you are, my complete How To for the BCSS:

How To: BCSS (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?63927-How-To-Install-Buddy-Club-Short-Shifter-%28BCSS%29&p=884914#post884914)

BigBurch422
05-07-2011, 08:45 AM
Wrong, there is 2 10mm screw holding the top part. You'll need a "ratchet key" for this of just a 10mm key but it's long to unscrew with 1/4 a turn at a time lol. And you DON'T need to remove them completly, just unscrew them a little so you can pull the top part. Don't pull the top piece without loosing them or else you'll break something. Yours probly come off by itself because the guys who removed it last time didn't screw the bolt back and just let it sit on them.

EDIT: Now that I think of it, there is a bracket you need to remove first that hold the top part before even reaching the 10mm screw I was talking about. And there is a bunch of wire attached to this too. Nothing hard to do tho...

And by "Center Console" I think he means the complete black piece of plastic under the shifter, no?

I made a How-To for this in 2008 but it was lost in the crash... I'll try to find it and post it again.

i took it as meaning the silver center dash, and as far as i remember mine just pops out. i wouldnt think he would be asking about the actual center console where the ebrake is in a thread about a BCSS because that has nothing to do with it lol could be wrong. could have read it wrong. idk...

Jmage
05-07-2011, 10:59 AM
i took it as meaning the silver center dash, and as far as i remember mine just pops out. i wouldnt think he would be asking about the actual center console where the ebrake is in a thread about a BCSS because that has nothing to do with it lol could be wrong. could have read it wrong. idk...

Sry it was nothing against you. I just didnt want anyone to start pulling the top piece without first rekoving what is holding it in place. You should check the pic in my how-to maybe youll remember the screws i was talking about. I just posted it back yesterday.

For the black center console i presumed this because some people said it was easier this way to acces the lock mecanism of the shifter cables :-)

khiemboy
05-07-2011, 05:27 PM
embarrassed to say this but took me like 1hr 45mins lol i couldnt get the center console out. and there was alot of cussing involved. but it was totally worth it shifts like a dream. cant wait to get bushings from corsport :D

boricua4life
05-07-2011, 05:27 PM
might be a little easier but really all you need is that flat head for the shifter cable to twist n turn to come out. the hard part was getting them back on:mconfused:... dnt know why. n please be careful with the two small pins for the shifter cables when putting them on! i lost one to the black abyss:mmad::mcry:

khiemboy
05-07-2011, 09:37 PM
might be a little easier but really all you need is that flat head for the shifter cable to twist n turn to come out. the hard part was getting them back on:mconfused:... dnt know why. n please be careful with the two small pins for the shifter cables when putting them on! i lost one to the black abyss:mmad::mcry:

lol for some reason the easiest part for me was actually get the cables on and off. it took me for ever ffing around with the center console. and i thought i lost one of the bolts for my shifter but it got caught behind something. so pretty much i was really unorganized haha. and those little clips were a bitch to put back on -_-

AKAahlecks
05-08-2011, 03:11 AM
embarrassed to say this but took me like 1hr 45mins lol i couldnt get the center console out. and there was alot of cussing involved. but it was totally worth it shifts like a dream. cant wait to get bushings from corsport :D

hah! if you were there with me when i was taking mine out!!! kidding. halfway. should let me drive some time P:

Bcannon94
04-22-2012, 07:49 AM
Okay well last night I was working on my ep3 that I just bought and I
Removing the dash and I couldn't figure out hot to remove shift linkage and I don't see any pics on how to so I will today it's very easy it should only take 25 to 30 mins at tops!