PDA

View Full Version : License Plates/headlights

ep3guy
11-07-2002, 05:51 PM
has anyone taken off the black thign behind the license plate in the back? and how bout the front, has anyone ever make their liecnse plate to fit somehow in the grill area? (i hate the license plate holder that buldges out of the front bumper)

anyone have pics of flat black painted headlights on silver or white?

thanks

Feng
11-08-2002, 10:04 PM
i took it off the front but there is a hole in my front bumper, damn dealers drilled a hole in the front for that black crap holder crap, i'm pissed. but it definitly looks better without the license plate.

xlr8
11-09-2002, 10:28 AM
http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=692&highlight=xlr8+pics

here are some pics of my white si with flat black headlights and no front plate

Silvershadow
11-11-2002, 01:59 AM
Here's how to put the license in the grille area:
1) Drill or punch a 1/4''(25mm) hole 7/16"(11mm) below the top mounting holes of your lic. plate.Looks nicer the hole is centered to the tag boxes.
2) Remove the black lic. plate holder(2-10mm bolts)
3) Measure 2 1/8"(540mm) from the bottom holder & draw a horizontal line across the face of the holder.Use 2 1/4"(572mm)if you want a1/4"(25mm) around the top of the lic. plate ,when done.
4)Cut across the line.You'll end up w/your lic. plate holder in 2 pieces.
5)Bolt the lower plate holder(2-10mm bolts) back on the Si.
6)Mount your lic.(using the newly drilled holes)on to the holder using what use to be the lower lic. plate mounting holes.
7) You may want to bend the lic.in toward the grille for better cooling & so it won't hit the lower lip.
Objectives:looks stylish,more areodynamic & lighter wieght.
Post some pics so we can see how it came out.

SilverShadow

SmoothOperator
11-11-2002, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by Feng
i took it off the front but there is a hole in my front bumper, damn dealers drilled a hole in the front for that black crap holder crap, i'm pissed. but it definitly looks better without the license plate.
Oh man I'd be super pissed too. What the hell were they thinking drilling a hole in the bumper?! That's FU@#$ UP!

ep3guy
11-11-2002, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Silvershadow
Here's how to put the license in the grille area:
1) Drill or punch a 1/4''(25mm) hole 7/16"(11mm) below the top mounting holes of your lic. plate.Looks nicer the hole is centered to the tag boxes.
2) Remove the black lic. plate holder(2-10mm bolts)
3) Measure 2 1/8"(540mm) from the bottom holder & draw a horizontal line across the face of the holder.Use 2 1/4"(572mm)if you want a1/4"(25mm) around the top of the lic. plate ,when done.
4)Cut across the line.You'll end up w/your lic. plate holder in 2 pieces.
5)Bolt the lower plate holder(2-10mm bolts) back on the Si.
6)Mount your lic.(using the newly drilled holes)on to the holder using what use to be the lower lic. plate mounting holes.
7) You may want to bend the lic.in toward the grille for better cooling & so it won't hit the lower lip.
Objectives:looks stylish,more areodynamic & lighter wieght.
Post some pics so we can see how it came out.

SilverShadow

i found out a ghetto way of doing this the other day. i just stuck in those zip thingies in the license plate holes and plugged it in through the existing holes. then i covered it up with the AEM license plate bracket. the only thing that kinda sucks is that the place is kinda angled. i guess its alright, looks better than the thing covering the bumper and all that.

i just need to know how to get rid of the rear back license plate holder thing in the rear where the hatch is. anyone know how to get rid of this thing?

MadBeatChemist
11-27-2002, 03:51 AM
Originally posted by ep3guy

i found out a ghetto way of doing this the other day. i just stuck in those zip thingies in the license plate holes and plugged it in through the existing holes. then i covered it up with the AEM license plate bracket. the only thing that kinda sucks is that the place is kinda angled. i guess its alright, looks better than the thing covering the bumper and all that.

i just need to know how to get rid of the rear back license plate holder thing in the rear where the hatch is. anyone know how to get rid of this thing?

I was wondering how you did that with your license plate.

IceD out N CALI
11-27-2002, 09:35 AM
yeah i took out that piece of metal in the back that made the back plate stick out more. that "ghetto" installation of your front plate actually looks alright-if i had to have a front plate i'd probably do it your way

ep3guy
11-27-2002, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by IceD out N CALI
yeah i took out that piece of metal in the back that made the back plate stick out more. that "ghetto" installation of your front plate actually looks alright-if i had to have a front plate i'd probably do it your way

haha cool. i just dont like it when you look at it from the sides.

chubbychu
03-10-2003, 10:32 PM
i know this thread was buried in the forums of time...but would putting the liscence plate in the "mouth" be:

1. legal?
2. blocking air the radiator needs to stay cool?

Silvershadow
03-11-2003, 02:20 PM
Read Cal.Vehicle Code.It's been yrs.,but probably(90%) yes to #1.No to #2 .Use my method .Better cooling and doesn't look like you're trying to HIDE the plates.Sounds complicated,buts easy.All cuts are on plastic except the 2 holes in the lic.plate.Takes 15 minutes to less than a hour.Looks OEM not ghetto.Peeps will ask where you bought the brkt.All you need is a hack saw & drill.With a table saw or band saw it'll b ten times faster.Post some pics aft.using my method and EVERY1 will b do'in it.I don't have a digi-cam.

ep88
03-11-2003, 09:09 PM
here is mine :D

chubbychu
03-11-2003, 09:15 PM
have you already done it?im getting the holder painted the body color so it shouldnt matter...but if i ever get an extra holder ill cut that up =O)

chubbychu
03-11-2003, 09:19 PM
Wow thats a change kinda cool....

its still too far out for ME though....
im looking for more of a Inconspicous look but also i dont want the cops to pull me over all the time...=O( so yea, is that what it looks like when you followed silvershadow's instrucions?

ep88
03-11-2003, 11:06 PM
i did it "ala" Suk02SI way ;)

edit: here is the link: Suk02SI thread (http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7980&highlight=license+and+plate)

chubbychu
03-11-2003, 11:41 PM
hmmmm....sorry dude...im just gonna find my own way....its too werid like that i just dont like it!!!!!

so you CANT tuck it behind the bumper?

Silvershadow
03-12-2003, 12:32 AM
It's close.If you did it my way It'll b another inch further in.Ep88 just flipped the frame.

chubbychu
03-12-2003, 12:39 AM
ahhh i see...cool i have to go outside and check it out first..but ill report back on what i decide to do...

BlasTech
03-12-2003, 09:05 AM
It still looks like it blocks air to me.

Not an option here anyway, since the black frame has scratched my bumper already. :(

dtexan
03-12-2003, 09:33 AM
what are you talkting about for the back plate? my car doesnt have one just two holes for the top of the plate. I was wondering if my car was missing a mounting bracket

klik
03-12-2003, 12:06 PM
mine does not have a hole and i took off the front license plate cuz it look hella better without it

Silvershadow
03-13-2003, 01:59 PM
:cool: :cool: :cool: Here it is in a nut shell.Go outside and look at your front lic.plate frame.Imagine cutting the top 2/3's of it off.Now remount the plate.Plate is in the grille area.Looks just like the above pics,but lighter,closer to the car ,same cooling cap.& can act as a canard.Plate can be bent up or down to route air into the upper or lower radiator.Just follow my instructions above earlier post.

Silvershadow
03-13-2003, 02:08 PM
The way Suk02SI did it is the same method I described in a earlier post.:eek:

ep88
03-13-2003, 11:48 PM
that's how i did mine, i cut the upper part of the frame.
here's the part that i cut

chet
03-13-2003, 11:55 PM
I was just wondering if Cali required a front plate. My front plate frame is still in the plastic bag (Not required in Indiana). Definitely would not like it on the front bumper--would drive me nuts.

SmoothOperator
03-14-2003, 12:16 AM
Okay I find it really hard to picture what some of you guys have done with your plates. Let's see some pics already. I'm open to suggestions. Right now it's off, but I'll need to put it on for long trips etc etc.

Silvershadow
03-14-2003, 12:34 AM
Ep88 has pics &Xlr8 has a link.Cal. does req. frt.plt.

SmoothOperator
03-14-2003, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by Silvershadow
Ep88 has pics &Xlr8 has a link.Cal. does req. frt.plt.
Ep88 is the only person to post pics of a customized (kinda) plate. Xlr8 had pics of a plateless EP (doesn't help me). What I wanna see is what YOU'RE talking about. And other custom jobbies.

Silvershadow
03-14-2003, 01:40 AM
Here SmoothOperator hold my hand.Let's go to page 1.Third post down.See d link?B sure to finish your lunchable.

SmoothOperator
03-14-2003, 11:23 AM
okay let's see.....page one......3rd post down, is Xlr8's link to a PLATELESS front end!! YAY!! Thanks shadow that's thuper!
Yours is the next one down...and low and behold, No pic!
Thanks great....don't forget to tighten up that chin strap fella.

Silvershadow
03-14-2003, 03:12 PM
:confused: Sorry Smoothoperator wrong link.After my instructions you'll see Ep88's pics,then 2 post down Ep88 has a link to more plate pics on a white Ep3.Like I said earlier I got no digi-cam.