PDA

View Full Version : USB adapter to stock deck?

skoo74
04-25-2008, 10:22 AM
Anyone know if there's a USB adaptor to the stock headunit? I'm looking for a way to plug my USB memory stick and play songs from there...

Chad
04-25-2008, 10:28 AM
Oh Boy. I'm pretty sure there is a device that will make our head unit accept an aux input, not the iPod input. and I HAVE seen somehwere something that is USB to audio with limited control, it would be a cluster f*ck at best. I'd almost be inclined to pick up a cheapo MP3 player or used iPod.

skoo74
04-25-2008, 10:35 AM
Oh Boy. I'm pretty sure there is a device that will make our head unit accept an aux input, not the iPod input. and I HAVE seen somehwere something that is USB to audio with limited control, it would be a cluster f*ck at best. I'd almost be inclined to pick up a cheapo MP3 player or used iPod.

yeah, I kinda want the stock HU look though so I don't get jacked!

sounds quality is a must but im welling to sacrafice it for a usb memory stick plug-in... (if it's cheap)...

anyone else?

Chad
04-25-2008, 10:49 AM
yeah, I kinda want the stock HU look though so I don't get jacked!

sounds quality is a must but im welling to sacrafice it for a usb memory stick plug-in... (if it's cheap)...

anyone else?

I popped a hole in the very back of the cubby that's under the cup holders and store all my cabling, Ham radio Mic, and iPod (in a small Crown Royal bag) in there, it all tucks in nicely and is absolutely invisible when the cupholders are slid back or the top is slid closed. Cool thing is that when the cup holders are positioned there is still a gap there to have wiring run out without anything getting pinched.

I'll do some looking this weekend but other than using the aux input from the rear of the deck and a mess of extra stuff I can't think of anything.

skoo74
04-25-2008, 10:53 AM
I popped a hole in the very back of the cubby that's under the cup holders and store all my cabling, Ham radio Mic, and iPod (in a small Crown Royal bag) in there, it all tucks in nicely and is absolutely invisible when the cupholders are slid back or the top is slid closed. Cool thing is that when the cup holders are positioned there is still a gap there to have wiring run out without anything getting pinched.

I'll do some looking this weekend but other than using the aux input from the rear of the deck and a mess of extra stuff I can't think of anything.

ic... cool, let me know if u find something... but if not, no worries..

BobSassafrass
04-25-2008, 10:59 AM
The only way to do this is with a device like this http://www.shoptronics.com/baqmp3tofmra.html . That is a cheap one that came up first on the google search but gives you a good idea. From there you can use the fm transmitter.

It's more money than its worth IMO, but kind of nice to be able to plug a plain ol usb drive into it. I would get a sandisk mp3 player that can double as a usb drive before purchasing one of these adapters. Or get a decent HU and just take the faceplate off everytime you leave the car. After hearing the sound quality from a HU that plugs directly into the ipod and controls it I don't ever want to go back to aux jacks or fm transmitters.

skoo74
04-25-2008, 11:11 AM
ahh... interesting... too bad sound travels through the FM Transmitter... direct sound input through USB would be nice (if that is an option)

Kodeen
04-25-2008, 11:33 AM
If you have an ipod, there is a direct ipod port -> stock cd changer port adapter made by USA spec. No FM modulation or analog ports.

As far as just a thumbdrive, I haven't come accross anything like that.

jimmyjames
04-25-2008, 11:36 AM
You could go a couple of ways.
First off, find a USB input MP3 player
There's this one that seems quite handy
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=3579125

Or try Lexar's Jumpgear-mp3

Link to a review of Anydrive's player:
http://the-gadgeteer.com/review/anydrive_car_mp3_fm_transmitter_review

After that, you can use an FM modulator as the input or buy a hardware input such as the one below to interface with the stock HU
http://www.installer.com/item/display_item.php?it=hon98-aux

Came across this too; seems bad ass.
http://sewelldirect.com/Bluetooth-CD-Deck-MP3-Car-Stereo-with-SD-Card-USB-Aux-Input-wma-.asp

the JigGa mAn
04-26-2008, 12:05 AM

the stock deck has a rear aux input?

Chad
04-26-2008, 01:11 AM
the stock deck has a rear aux input?

I'm fairly certain there's an aftermarket adaptor that fakes it into thinking there is an aux input, it's not here in "normal" form but via the rear mass connector.

the JigGa mAn
04-26-2008, 02:35 AM
I'm fairly certain there's an aftermarket adaptor that fakes it into thinking there is an aux input, it's not here in "normal" form but via the rear mass connector.

interesting, would you happen to know where i could find one of these aftermarket adaptors?

i would search on my own, but i dont have the slightest clue as to where i should start

jimmyjames
04-26-2008, 07:51 AM
interesting, would you happen to know where i could find one of these aftermarket adaptors?

i would search on my own, but i dont have the slightest clue as to where i should startThe unit link is in my post above. it's the installer.com one.

skoo74
04-26-2008, 10:49 AM
found this link.. http://www.xcarlink.com/show_info.asp?product_ID=300

has anyone tried this product yet or know if it'll work? I'm sure it's a better alternative than the fm modulator option..

the JigGa mAn
04-26-2008, 01:54 PM
The unit link is in my post above. it's the installer.com one.

i wonder how the sound quality is

has anyone tried this product yet or know if it'll work? I'm sure it's a better alternative than the fm modulator option..

there is no price listed

brandonlp
04-27-2008, 05:49 PM
I actually bought a Metra iPod adapter today and installed it. It connects to the CD changer port on the back of the stock radio and provides both an aux-in port and an iPod dock connector (which handles audio and power). It was $50.

Audio-wise, it's pretty much excellent. I was very sick of the crappy sound from my FM transmitter, and carrying CDs around just isn't practical. The reviews on circuitcity.com were good enough, so I bought it. The issue I'm having is that the head unit keeps changing "tracks" randomly, as it's looking for a track on the CD changer that is playing something. I think this quirk is either 1) my head unit is busted or 2) I haven't quite figured out the best way to make it not do that yet.. because none of the reviews complained of such a thing happening. Once it decides to stick on a 'track', though, it will stay there indefinitely, which so far has meant.. 30 seconds of fiddling around with it and then continuous beautiful playback.

If you're interested, the link to it on circuitcity.com is below. I'll update the thread (or start another) when I figure out the weirdness in my head unit.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Metra-iPod-Honda-Adapter-AIPHD02ID/sem/rpsm/oid/185491/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

dashehonda
04-27-2008, 07:30 PM
My sony deck has the ipod plug from the back, and has the aux hole up front for another mp3 device, i got it off ebay barely used for 60.00 shipped, its like 120.00 new(which still isnt bad)

ep3man
04-27-2008, 07:33 PM
stock head units are ghey point blank.... honda failed at thet and the motor when they made this car...

the JigGa mAn
04-27-2008, 11:44 PM
I actually bought a Metra iPod adapter today and installed it. It connects to the CD changer port on the back of the stock radio and provides both an aux-in port and an iPod dock connector (which handles audio and power). It was $50.

Audio-wise, it's pretty much excellent. I was very sick of the crappy sound from my FM transmitter, and carrying CDs around just isn't practical. The reviews on circuitcity.com were good enough, so I bought it. The issue I'm having is that the head unit keeps changing "tracks" randomly, as it's looking for a track on the CD changer that is playing something. I think this quirk is either 1) my head unit is busted or 2) I haven't quite figured out the best way to make it not do that yet.. because none of the reviews complained of such a thing happening. Once it decides to stick on a 'track', though, it will stay there indefinitely, which so far has meant.. 30 seconds of fiddling around with it and then continuous beautiful playback.

If you're interested, the link to it on circuitcity.com is below. I'll update the thread (or start another) when I figure out the weirdness in my head unit.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Metra-iPod-Honda-Adapter-AIPHD02ID/sem/rpsm/oid/185491/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

sweet! i like it alot!! im going to get that 2morrow

smoody
04-28-2008, 07:17 PM

I really want something good other than those darn FM transmitter but I'm not getting what your saying. Ok you install the ipod adapter but you say that your headunit is looking for a track on your cd changer. If you installed in, should the ipod take control of the the radio? :confused:

brandonlp
04-28-2008, 07:46 PM
Basically, what happens with devices such as these is that they fool the headunit into thinking that a cd changer is actually connected. What is happening on my unit is that something goofy is happening where it periodically scans through all of the possible tracks... and then locks into one. When this occurs, and when it gets to a certain point, it causes the audio to 'skip'. What I've found out through having this for another day, though, is that it only seems to occur when the iPod + head unit are first turned on. Once the head unit picks a 'track', it stays on it. I'm sorry if the explanation isn't clear, but it's the best way I can describe it.

smoody
04-28-2008, 08:08 PM
What if there wasn't a cd? I'm guess it should just go straight to the ipod since the head unit can't find a track

6od5peed
04-28-2008, 09:26 PM
Anyone know if there's a USB adaptor to the stock headunit? I'm looking for a way to plug my USB memory stick and play songs from there...

I very sure that the stock headunit is not going to be able to read and then choose songs off of a memory stick. It doesn't even play MP3 cds! You can pretty much just throw that idea right out the window. I know it is nice to have the OEM look and what have you, but the stock deck sounds like shit compared to almost any aftermarket unit.

I am looking at getting one of those Alpine multimedia receivers, the ones that don't play CDs, to control my MP3 player. Does anyone have any experience with them?

skoo74
04-28-2008, 10:52 PM
I very sure that the stock headunit is not going to be able to read and then choose songs off of a memory stick. It doesn't even play MP3 cds! You can pretty much just throw that idea right out the window. I know it is nice to have the OEM look and what have you, but the stock deck sounds like shit compared to almost any aftermarket unit.

I am looking at getting one of those Alpine multimedia receivers, the ones that don't play CDs, to control my MP3 player. Does anyone have any experience with them?

the equipment below looks like it may work but i dont think anyone's tried it... and i dont want to be the first... I might end up getting a deck like the alpine one u mentioned.. the only problem is that alpine deck doesn't take cds... I heard the pioneer one's pretty nice also..

http://www.xcarlink.com/uploadfile/UploadFile/2008423111941538.jpg

smoody
04-29-2008, 05:43 AM
^^ where is the price of these items

skoo74
04-29-2008, 08:40 AM
^^ where is the price of these items

oh, not sure... ebay probably has them but shipped from China and ~100 so it's probably better just to buy a new deck.. http://www.ephatch.com/forum/images/icons/icon13.gif