PDA

View Full Version : Help me. 02 Si vs 00 SI

Lightsped
11-07-2002, 09:35 PM
First of all, I am not starting this thread as a debate to decide which year SI is the best. I am simply trying to learn more about the 02 SI. I really want to buy another Honda, but in my eyes (which may be wrong) it seems that Honda is becoming more like Toyota, meaning less sports cars, more pratical family stuff. Its like Honda is eating the dust from Nissan, Subaru, Mazda, etc....

Anyways, what does the 02 SI do that is better than the 00 SI? Most reports state that is it slightly slower than a 00 SI. Does the 02 SI handle pretty good compared to the previous SI?

Reminder: This is NOT a debate thread. I am just trying to determine if I should buy a 02 SI, build a older Civic hatch, or just wait and pray for a Type R.

Thanks

P.S. A friend driving my 00 SI below:

http://www.neospeed.org/images/myebpsi4.jpg

02blksi
11-07-2002, 09:51 PM
I dont care what it says on paper, but in reality the 2 si's are totally different yet basically the same. As far as whose more powerful while the previous gen makes a little more horspower, the newest gen makes ALOT more torque. Both are great cars, run similiar times, handle about the same. Although im partial to the current Si's handling. I for one love the new Mcpherson setup. Its really a choice that you have to make for yourself, I also like the fact that not everyone and their mother has the new SI. And the looks have really grown on me! SEXY! IMO>

On a side note I FINALLY HAD A RUN IN WITH A BEAUTIFUL EBP si. Mods that i could tell he had:
Intake -distinct engine note.
exhaust -looked to be thermal
lower strut bar -dc sports
struts -Red ones Im assuming they were KYB?
and a license plate that read "OUTRUN" :)

My SI :
custom cat back with a APEXI N1
AEM CAI
Spoon resevoir covers LOL;)

The race 3rd gear 60mph till about 100 (4th) -- pretty much even, he got the jump (i always let the other person start before me) Then i imediatly pulled on him by a half car both clicked fourth i stayed half car ahead 100 mph traffic coming up we both shut down no need to get in a wreck, windows down and both gave the thumbs up to each other. I think he was suprised, he was really cocky at first reving on me on the highway and pacing me, hopefully now he will see the new SI is not a pushover, like some think.

LordKoo
11-07-2002, 10:03 PM
Try driving both EP and EK back to back. You will notice the structure rigidity is a big different!

EK felt like 10 years older than the EP in terms of that!

Handling? I prefer the new electric power steering. One hell smart system... Tighten real nice in aggressive driving and high speed.

What so nice about EK is the double wish done setup deal and the car is lighter. However, BMW has proven that Macpherson Strut can do the same thing!

Oh, EP has ABS and EBD!!! Hhahahaha.. for that kind of $$$. Not to mention EP has nice seats and three spoke steering wheel from the factory!

HK_EP3
11-07-2002, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by LordKoo
Try driving both EP and EK back to back.
does EK include the 00 coupe? i thought EK is the old hatch... and this guy is talkin about our EP vs the 00 SI coupe... correct me if wrong.

Lightsped
11-07-2002, 11:29 PM
That is correct. I am focusing on 02 SI vs 00 SI. Stock configurations on both cars for this comparison.

chunky
11-08-2002, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by Si_Dra6NStyL

does EK include the 00 coupe? i thought EK is the old hatch... and this guy is talkin about our EP vs the 00 SI coupe... correct me if wrong.

EK = 6th gen hatch.

EM = 6th gen coupe. EM1 = 6th gen si

having owned a 2000 FBP si before my current 2002 NBP si, I must say that they are similar on paper, but two totally different beasts.

The 6th gen si felt a lot faster than it actually was. the 7th gen si is faster than it feels. The 6th gen had GREAT power in the top end of the RPM range stock and no low end. The 7th gen si has GREAT midrange and low end power, and does not fall off much as you move towards redline.

That's the defining difference to me - the powerband is MUCH broader in the 2002 si, making it a better daily driver.

as far as potential goes, the 2002 si has .4L more displacement, and that means that it will ultimately be faster than the 6th gen could ever dream of.

so stock v.s. stock, here's how it will shakedown with equal drivers:

7th gen will jump ahead on launch - slightly, 6th gen will pull even by the top of 2nd gear, and move slightly ahead. 3rd gear they hold even. 4th gear, EP starts moving up, 5th gear, ep starts to really stretch it's legs and walk away.

I've encountered about 4 or 5 6th gen si's on the road. a few I beat so badly taht I don't even count them, but mostly, they're equal cars. I will note however that most of the 6th gen si's i've run into had basic mods whereas i'm totally stock.

nickw252
11-08-2002, 12:54 AM
I am a 00 Si owner but in general I am a car lover. I will tell you things I like about my car, and dislike, and things that I have noticed that seem cool about EPs.

First off, I love how my engine sounds, especially with CAI and Greddy Exhaust. I love what it looks like (EBP) however it is too bad it shares the same body style with the rest of the Civics of that generation. It is nice and roomy for being a small car, it gets decent gas mileage. Overall I am 95% satisfied (it takes a helluva lot to satisfy me).

Dislikes: Steering wheel - whats up with the granny design. At least it is leather wrapped. Thats luxurious, and looks tons better than steering wheels from EX?LX..... models.
The seats also sucked, I took mine out and replaced it with 98 Prelude seats. I absolutely love them, I havent sat in EP seats much but from the Lude seats fit me amazingly. The interior on my Si is kind of bland, but very functional and solid.
Also, the B16 engine does not respond to mods well at all, and it has no torque :(

From what I have gathered about the EP, I would say that it has the edge in interiors by far, the engine, while it doesnt make as much power stock, responds to mods much better. Also, the car is much more roomy, and more practical since it is a hatch. Along with the interior, the steering wheel kicks ass in the EP. Also, it has ABS which mine lacks. The rims on the EP kinda suck IMO, but most people replace them anyway.

From my analysis, whether you get an EP or EM1, I think you will be satisfied, but keep in mind you should probably be able to get a new Si at pretty discounted prices.

Si_Nutt
11-08-2002, 03:41 PM
My previous car was a '99 Si. What I miss most? High RPM redline, distinct VTEC switchover @5400 RPM, shifter feel (solid linkage v/s cable on the 02) and all the aftermarket parts you could ever wish for.

My 02? Like the interior better: seats, steering wheel, more low end torque for around town driving and exterior styling (I like hatches better than coupes)

It's really what you want to do with the car. If you want to drive it and wait for the aftermarket to catch up then get the 02. If you are all about modding and driving like a mad man all the time then get the 00.

I personally wish I got a RSX Type S, because I am spoiled by the high RPM redline. I spent the first week (after break in) bouncing my 02 off the rev limiter because I wasn't shifting soon enough.

Then if we could just get the Type-R over here....That would be sweet. Just remember if you get a Honda you can't go wrong.

lotsahondas
11-09-2002, 07:49 AM
I agree with you, I had a 99 SI as well, I would say that this SI handles better is abit stiffer all round, and has more potential in the engine.

But I miss the high RPM and the VTEC switchover, this one is very smooth all the way to redline, effective but a little boring, but you do notice the extra torque.
Put a stiffer sway bar and some good tires on this thing and I am sure it would be easily faster than the old model.

BTW I like them both so you really couldn't go wrong with either one.

D

AJWUZHERE
11-09-2002, 08:53 AM
The 02 also has more passanger/cargo room. and I believe that it has slightly better gas mileage. Thats all looking at the car at a practical side.

Az02Si
11-09-2002, 09:54 AM
I had a 00 before my 02...Chassis is HANDS DOWN better on the 02....But what i really miss is the high redline and the crude,raw sounds the b16 made when it was flogged within an inch of its life.Something about that "oh shit is this thing gonna explode?" sound that i loved.To me the k20 just seems to "tame" to me right now.

chakra71
11-09-2002, 12:54 PM
Another thing to consider is that the B series engine is dying. Honda isn't making them anymore. The K series is the new baby that everyone is pampering into a massive powerplant. The 'killer B' has been done so many times that it's boring. I don't know about you guys but i'm excited over this engine.

chunky
11-09-2002, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by Az02Si
I had a 00 before my 02...Chassis is HANDS DOWN better on the 02....But what i really miss is the high redline and the crude,raw sounds the b16 made when it was flogged within an inch of its life.Something about that "oh shit is this thing gonna explode?" sound that i loved.To me the k20 just seems to "tame" to me right now.

my 2002 si was quiet when I first got it, but it's gotten louder - perhaps b/c of the colder air or something, but it's definitely louder now then the day I bought it.

The vtec changeover isn't there, but it does still have a racy intake note. Once the exhaust/headers/intake are done, it will probably be just as mean sounding as the b16 with similar mods, but you won't have a vtec changeover.

02 Si Man
11-10-2002, 01:41 AM
Some others have stated this but:

B- series will be replaced soon with K-Series, get ahead of the game while you can. I don't know much about the B, that is why I am on the K.

Also, don't rush and buy either one. Wait to see if the Civic Type R will come over here. If not by a Mitsu Lancer Evo VII! That will be a bad car, hopefully a suby smoker.

Or by an '02 cheap and do a Type S/ Type R conversion like in Sport Compact car. And seriously look into Hondata - that is where I plan to be.

LordKoo
11-10-2002, 08:41 AM
Also, don't rush and buy either one. Wait to see if the Civic Type R will come over here. If not by a Mitsu Lancer Evo VII! That will be a bad car, hopefully a suby smoker

Smoking crack again? How much is the Si? How much are those cars? Please compare apples to apples not to oranges! Si is the best bang for the buck IMO.

All you guys talk is straight line accelration. What the heck is that? You want straight line performance go with Mustpank, or Firebird. You guys should pay attention to structure rigidity of the car too!

02 Si Man
11-10-2002, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by LordKoo

Smoking crack again? How much is the Si? How much are those cars? Please compare apples to apples not to oranges! Si is the best bang for the buck IMO.

All you guys talk is straight line accelration. What the heck is that? You want straight line performance go with Mustpank, or Firebird. You guys should pay attention to structure rigidity of the car too!

There is still time to save. Also, what is the retail on an EVO_VII?

DAYUM! approx. $40K -> 40-19 Si = 21 & 40 - 27 R(if that) = 13

I guess it is enough to turbocharge it. My bad, that is a lot more saving than I thought.

r3p00c
11-10-2002, 10:32 AM
just get both!

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/r3p00c/images/pic3.jpg

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/r3p00c/images/02si1.jpg

:)

r3p00c
11-10-2002, 10:33 AM
ok, well *technically* they're not both mine... the '00 EBP is my fiance's. I'll still get to drive it, though, so it is sorta mine, right?

having that opportunity to drive both back to back, I can agree that both feel COMPLETELY different behind the wheel.

undeboost
11-10-2002, 11:00 AM
that is a hard decision. when i got mine i couldnt find any 200 si's besides a supercharged one and they wanted 19g for it i am sure it was fast but it was kinda $$ and there is the whole reliability thing so i went for the ep.

2k2_nbp_egg
11-10-2002, 06:56 PM
I had alot of fun in my 99' Si. They're really fun cars, and that 6-8k rpm rush was alot fun, especially with mods. But there's just something the ep has that the prev. gen si didn't. Idunno if it's the linear powerband, the extra torque, the extra space, or the nice interior that got me, but after driving it and being in it i REALLY wanted it. O yea, the fact that i didn't have a car because 99' Sis are too easy to steal might have contributed too....

fASTBACK
11-10-2002, 07:25 PM
I personally think to 2k2 si is better IMO. The ride and quality is VERY differnt from each other. The 99 si feels like any other civic. Go drive around in an 2k2 Si than go and drive your Si. The 2k2 Si feels like a luxary car to me IMO. You can tell the difference right away!