PDA

View Full Version : JDM CTR gage cluster outside temp display

SiR R8TD
04-26-2008, 09:15 AM
Does anyone know how to get the outside temp display to work w/ JDM CTR gages?

Kodeen
04-26-2008, 10:29 AM
You'll need a sensor. The CTR one will probably be hard to find, but maybe an Acura sensor could work.

SiR R8TD
04-26-2008, 10:44 AM
You'll need a sensor. The CTR one will probably be hard to find, but maybe an Acura sensor could work.

Is there a diagram that I can refer to?

jimmyjames
04-26-2008, 10:47 AM
I'll be doing a DIY on this very soon.
I'll try to get it up this week.

SiR R8TD
04-26-2008, 01:19 PM

Great, I'll be waiting. Thanks.

Draw7Seven
04-26-2008, 01:21 PM

Holy shit does mine have that? (MPH so I'm assuming it's EDM)

jimmyjames
04-26-2008, 01:45 PM
Holy shit does mine have that? (MPH so I'm assuming it's EDM)If you have a Type R cluster in MPH, then yes, you are able to add a temp sensor.

b.r.i.a.n.
04-26-2008, 02:43 PM
can't wait for the diy. and jimmyjames your avy is hilarious

b.r.i.a.n.
04-26-2008, 02:53 PM
so let me get something straight. the temp is supposed to be seen on the cluster after trip b correct? but on my cluster after trip b it goes to the regular odo. according to this thread

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43249

only the facelifted models had the temp display. the only way to tell whether you've got a gauge cluster from a facelifted model is to look at the srs icon. the pre-facelift srs icon says srs. the facelifted srs icon is a little guy with the airbag in front of him.

i've got a pre-facelift cluster so i guess i'm sol

SyckSiR
04-26-2008, 03:30 PM
so let me get something straight. the temp is supposed to be seen on the cluster after trip b correct? but on my cluster after trip b it goes to the regular odo. according to this thread

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43249

only the facelifted models had the temp display. the only way to tell whether you've got a gauge cluster from a facelifted model is to look at the srs icon. the pre-facelift srs icon says srs. the facelifted srs icon is a little guy with the airbag in front of him.

i've got a pre-facelift cluster so i guess i'm sol

lol, cause knowing how hot it is outside ur car is a priority lol

SiR R8TD
04-26-2008, 04:09 PM
lol, cause knowing how hot it is outside ur car is a priority lol

Certainly.

jimmyjames
04-27-2008, 09:39 PM
can't wait for the diy. and jimmyjames your avy is hilariousI credit Cow; his anne frank one was the inspiration.
I'll sort out the preface vs original recipe face cluster temp gauge shite. later.
I am going to simply add it and see what happens. I already have the sensor.

civicsibaby04
08-28-2008, 05:55 PM
I credit Cow; his anne frank one was the inspiration.
I'll sort out the preface vs original recipe face cluster temp gauge shite. later.
I am going to simply add it and see what happens. I already have the sensor.

did you ever figure out how to get the temp. to show up on the cluster????? if so can you let me know what you did

Chad
08-29-2008, 06:50 AM
If you have a Type R cluster in MPH, then yes, you are able to add a temp sensor.

Did you do a test and get it to work? Ocelaris and I were trying to figure it out, dunno if he ever had success?

jimmyjames
08-29-2008, 02:00 PM
I've come to grips with the realization that there are two types of Type R clusters; one that works, and one that does not.

I am not sure the actual model number differences but one has a little guy sitting as the airbag symbol, the other one says "SRS" as the stock Si one does.
The one with airbag man is the one you need to have to get the temp reading to work. I have the other one unfortunately. I was looking to trade my cluster for the other kind but have not gotten to it yet.

civicsibaby04
08-29-2008, 02:13 PM
i got you. i got the one that have the lil man with the air bag. if anyone knows how to get it to work can they please post it.

jimmyjames
08-29-2008, 02:18 PM
i got you. i got the one that have the lil man with the air bag. if anyone knows how to get it to work can they please post it.
Trade it to me and i'll post the DIY. :mbiggrin:
Seriously though, I will post something this weekend if I can. I just moved and have no internet.
One of the leads off the cluster harness has to go to a temp sensor in front bumper.
The sensor will have two leads. One goes to that harness, the other goes to a ground.
Any temp sensor from a newer Acura car will work.

talonXracer
08-29-2008, 02:38 PM
I have the little guy type typeR cluster, it has the option for the temp when you scroll thru the tripmeter options. I also have a typeR temp sender from Bill. I havnt messed with it yet. I think the typeS OAT sender should work as well. I have been looking to get the typeS sender and connector to try, but couldnt find the connector part# for the connector(usually available with pigtails already).

jimmyjames
08-29-2008, 02:57 PM
I have the little guy type typeR cluster, it has the option for the temp when you scroll thru the tripmeter options. I also have a typeR temp sender from Bill. I havnt messed with it yet. I think the typeS OAT sender should work as well. I have been looking to get the typeS sender and connector to try, but couldnt find the connector part# for the connector(usually available with pigtails already).Bill sent me a sender with wires soldered and wrapped so it has leads.
I think you could also just solder some wires on and then fill the void with a potting compound to make it water tight.

As for the lead off the harness, you can back out the one you cut for the Type R cluster grounding fix. If you have attached spade terminals for reconnection as Doug has, you can probably get another pin lead from radio shack or something.

icarus.na
08-29-2008, 02:59 PM
man i miss bill...

he had the answers to all my electrical woes...

talonXracer
08-29-2008, 03:05 PM
I have a variety of salvaged connectors from various components, hopefully i can source a pin from one of them.

If it works I may just get a second sender with a two position switch and have an interior temp as well.

civicsibaby04
08-29-2008, 04:36 PM
if you get this to work can you please do a write up.

jimmyjames
08-30-2008, 08:00 AM
if you get this to work can you please do a write up.
I'll dig up the wiring schematic after the weekend.

civicsibaby04
08-30-2008, 09:41 PM
I'll dig up the wiring schematic after the weekend.

that would be great thanks

b.r.i.a.n.
09-01-2008, 05:20 PM
I've come upon the realization that there are two types of Type R clusters; one that works, and one that does not.

I am not sure the actual model number differences but one has a little guy sitting as the airbag symbol, the other one says "SRS" as the stock Si one does.
The one with airbag man is the one you need to have to get the temp reading to work. I have the other one unfortunately. I was looking to trade my cluster for the other kind but have not gotten to it yet.

yeah there are two clusters. the pre-face lift models had the srs icon on the cluster. the ep3 si's had this for 02-03.

for 04-05, the face lifted models, the cluster had a little guy with an airbag in place of srs. that's the only way to tell the difference. the ep3 si's had the same change on the clusters.

so i guess i was right. the face lifted models are the only ones that have the temperature gauge inside the cluster. dammit!

SiN05
09-01-2008, 05:55 PM
yeah there are two clusters. the pre-face lift models had the srs icon on the cluster. the ep3 si's had this for 02-03.

for 04-05, the face lifted models, the cluster had a little guy with an airbag in place of srs. that's the only way to tell the difference. the ep3 si's had the same change on the clusters.

so i guess i was right. the face lifted models are the only ones that have the temperature gauge inside the cluster. dammit!

Mine has the SRS symbol and its a 05. Also before the crash I was reading that you'll only get a Celsius degree for the temp.

b.r.i.a.n.
09-02-2008, 12:07 PM
Mine has the SRS symbol and its a 05. Also before the crash I was reading that you'll only get a Celsius degree for the temp.

hmm that's odd. the 04-05 civic si clusters usually look like this

http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/32018290/aview/c8c6_1_b.JPG

one other thing to note about the face lifted clusters is the change in the abs symbol. it still says abs but it looks different.

and yes it reads in celsius not fahrenheit

jimmyjames
09-03-2008, 09:53 AM
I'll elaborate more and add pictures later but here's the basic idea so far;
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?p=712483

SiN05
09-04-2008, 06:19 PM
hmm that's odd. the 04-05 civic si clusters usually look like this

http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/32018290/aview/c8c6_1_b.JPG

one other thing to note about the face lifted clusters is the change in the abs symbol. it still says abs but it looks different.

and yes it reads in celsius not fahrenheit

I check'd tonight and i do have a little guy (in red) with an airbag. But i know if someone leans on my side airbags the wrong way a SRS (in yellow) symbol pops up which if im not mistaken disables them temporarily until you move and the symbol goes away

jimmyjames
09-08-2008, 09:49 AM
I check'd tonight and i do have a little guy (in red) with an airbag. But i know if someone leans on my side airbags the wrong way a SRS (in yellow) symbol pops up which if im not mistaken disables them temporarily until you move and the symbol goes away

That's not from leaning on the side airbags, it is from someone shifting their weight off the passenger seat sensor. The SRS light is then indicating you have someone in the seat who is too small for the front seat and may be hurt by the airbag.

moso
09-11-2008, 07:49 AM
d only eps that have the little guy are the ones with side airbags there is no jdm cluster with a little guy or all that non sence i have the ctr cluster with normal srs badging and i still have the temperature section

DA9_GSR
05-12-2011, 06:24 PM
I'm bringing this back to life because I figued it out!
I have a 2003 Civic EP3. I installed an 02-03 CTR cluster. I noticed that there's an outside temp reading after "Trip B" in the cluster. So I did some digging and found that the 2003 Honda Accord EXL ambient temperature sensor has the same part number (80525-S30-941) as the CTR one. I also found a wiring diagram for the CTR cluster.

Here's what I did.

1. I removed the cluster.
2. Installed a pink / black 16 AWG wire into pin A10 of the blue connector. (see illustration)
3. Ran that pink / black 16 AWG wire to the sensor.
4. Installed a black 16 AWG ground wire from the sensor to the common ground behind the front bumper G201.

And Voila! It works. I also compared the readings to a brand new 2011 Honda and the outside temp readings were the same.

Here's a diagram of the blue Cluster Connector A

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/2/3961/3269/22401634087_large.jpg

Here's the wiring diagram I followed

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/2/3961/3269/22401634086_large.jpg