PDA

View Full Version : Key reprogram for swap

ep-unit
04-26-2008, 03:13 PM
I will be getting the K20a2 in my 05 EP and I was wondering if it was possible to get the ecu and key reset at the dealer first before dropping in my motor to eliminate having to tow my car, which is 30 minutes away from the dealer. Also i wanna make sure it will start instead of having to try and figure out what's wrong if it doesnt at the dealer and end up having my car left there for fixing, if there's anything wrong.

dcmpbl
04-26-2008, 03:53 PM
First off, nothing really gets done to your key...it is the A2 ecu that needs to be reprogrammed. Second, no. The dealer will need the motor in the car for them to do this procedure. Third, you will be able to start your A2 with the EP ecu. This is not the time to check how high it revs or how fast your car is with 40 extra horsepower. It is the time to, like you said, check that it was a proper install, that everything works, and to take a gentle ride to the dealer. Just make sure you have an appointment(be sure it is an Acura dealer),and that the dealer knows what you want done. I drove a similar distance....on the highway; nothing over like 3-4K in rpm and you will be fine.

ep-unit
04-26-2008, 04:33 PM
does it have to be a acura dealership, because where I'm from there is only a honda dealership.

talonXracer
04-26-2008, 04:43 PM
No it does not have to be a Acura dealer, I have used three different Honda dealers. But you should go and print out a copy of this for the Honda tech. http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43022

when you drive gently to the stealership, that means nothing above 2600rpm's, and make sure you bring ALL copies of your keys, they must all be done at the same time.

b.r.i.a.n.
04-26-2008, 06:26 PM
sorry in advance for the thread jack but is the key reprogram a one time thing? i got an rsx-s ecu kpro'd last year and i've been driving with the immobilizer off ever since. just recently after getting the swap done, i decided to get the keys reprogrammed. the procedure took less than 10 minutes and it was a success.

but last week i got the car retuned and for some reason it wouldn't start with the immobilizer on. my tuner had to take it off before i was able to start the car after uploading a new map.

so is this a one time thing or do i have to get this done again after every retune? or was something done wrong when getting the keys reprogrammed?

talonXracer
04-26-2008, 06:42 PM
It should be a one time thing. It has been for me.

Did your ECU get switched with another? Or did you have a key that wasnt reprogramed and tried to start the car? You must have all the keys done, not just one.

I messed up when I went and had my immobilizor resynched and didnt have both ignition keys, only one and the valet key. Several months later I grabbed the non-synched key and the car wouldnt start, took me awhile to figure that one out! LOL

b.r.i.a.n.
04-26-2008, 07:23 PM
yeah i took the regular key and the valet key. this happened while street tuning. i would turn the car off after a pull and let the map upload and then turn the car on while rolling.

i'm going to go try it again right now and see if it works.

b.r.i.a.n.
04-26-2008, 07:37 PM
so i enabled the immobilizer and it worked!

dcmpbl
04-26-2008, 09:39 PM
I'm assuming that the 02-03 keys are different than the 04-05's? I only took one key to the dealer and am totally good with either key that I have. My local Honda dealer claimed that their equipment was not compatible with the Acura ecu :confused: They suck though, and I am not just saying this because they are a dealer...they truly suck. I hold them solely responsible for the death of my A3. I just figure it is just best to go to an Acura dealer to be sure. I had an appointment with the Honda dealer, personally talked to the service manager who knew exactly what I was talking about. He had no prob giving it a try and couldn't get it done. So I don't know...I mean the valve cover does say Honda on it and we all know it that Acura is Honda. This was strictly a Honda dealership though. I'm sure a combo Honda/Acura dealer would be different.....

AUTiger
04-26-2008, 09:47 PM
I'm assuming that the 02-03 keys are different than the 04-05's?

This would be nice to know, I'm looking at picking up a used reflash in the next few weeks and since one of my keys is back in Wisconsin, I only have 2 of the 3. I just figured that the 02-03 keys and immobilizer are all configured the same as 04-05's and that all 3 should be resynched.

WhiteOnRice
04-27-2008, 10:00 AM
My Honda dealer must be incompetent because they said I have to go to Acura. Yay, another 40 miles with the a3 ecu...

ep-unit
04-27-2008, 01:49 PM
thanks but where i live there's only a honda dealership, i just hope they're not going to be a pain in the ass and make everything go through smoothly

SyckSiR
04-27-2008, 01:52 PM
My Honda dealer must be incompetent because they said I have to go to Acura. Yay, another 40 miles with the a3 ecu...

mine said that same thing....dealerships are just like part stores, all they can do is look stuff up in a book. if its not there then they say it cant be done.

dcmpbl
04-27-2008, 11:48 PM
At least I know that I'm not the only one. Upside was that the Acura dealer that I went to, although a much further drive, was a lot nicer than the Honda joint. Leather furniture, sweet TV (with sportscenter on), ect.... and the service guy was totally cool. He was a little weary, but totally willing to "give it a shot". I think he was a little impressed actually. They had me out in 20mins with nothing but a phone call and a bring it in response. AAAANNNNDDD the longer trip home meant plenty of highway to bring out this shit-eatin grin every time I experienced a vtec change over (never had to this point...never ridden in or drove--bseries nor K)

ep-unit
04-28-2008, 10:21 PM
what about running a type-r ecu, because that doesn't have an immobilizer right, well i mean can the A2 run properly on the type-r ecu?

WhiteOnRice
04-29-2008, 10:17 AM
At least I know that I'm not the only one. Upside was that the Acura dealer that I went to, although a much further drive, was a lot nicer than the Honda joint. Leather furniture, sweet TV (with sportscenter on), ect.... and the service guy was totally cool. He was a little weary, but totally willing to "give it a shot". I think he was a little impressed actually. They had me out in 20mins with nothing but a phone call and a bring it in response. AAAANNNNDDD the longer trip home meant plenty of highway to bring out this shit-eatin grin every time I experienced a vtec change over (never had to this point...never ridden in or drove--bseries nor K)

Yeah, the Acura guy I talked to knew exact what I was doing and how to help me.

ep-unit
04-29-2008, 04:37 PM
what about running a type-r ecu, because that doesn't have an immobilizer right, well i mean can the A2 run properly on the type-r ecu?

somebody.......

dcmpbl
05-01-2008, 06:32 PM
Someome with more experience hopefully will chime in, but I do not think that the type-r ecu will work stock for the A2. Most likely you will pay more for the type-r ecu than for an A2 one. Why pay more for less (no immobilizer)? Also the type-r won't hold a candle to a K-pro'd A2 ecu. Get the motor running right first, then down the road, Kpro your A2 ecu and then more options have you will...

Gasp23
05-01-2008, 07:46 PM
Doesn't the Type-R have also limited MPH? I thought I read that somewhere.

talonXracer
05-02-2008, 07:16 AM

You will need to rewire the fuel pump relays, it will never pass any state emissions testing, you will have a 117mph speed governor, AND it will run like shit!

b.r.i.a.n.
05-02-2008, 08:37 AM
i just printed out the instructions from hondata and the guy at the dealer followed it step by step and got it done.

like i said before the procedure takes about 10 minutes.

the first dealer i went to wanted to charge me $90 because they said it would take them one hour of labor which equals $90.

i went to another honda dealer and spoke with one of the workers instead of going straight to the service advisor. i just payed him $40 cash and i was in and out in not time lol.

Gilmour
05-02-2008, 08:52 AM
I've used a PRC ECU in my EK with a K20a2 swap. Its not worth the money, they still go for about half the price of a Kpro. When I'd hit 180km/h its like hitting a brick wall, also Vtec kicks late and I found it very easy to drop out of vtec with the 04 RSX-S tranny.

On the other hand its a great way to get your swap running straight out of your garage. And there always people on K20a.org looking for PRC ECUs so there is a good resale market for it.

ep-unit
05-02-2008, 02:56 PM
You will need to rewire the fuel pump relays, it will never pass any state emissions testing, you will have a 117mph speed governor, AND it will run like shit!

but won't it still be better than running the k20a2 on the a3 ecu like what most people say to do to the dealer just to get the PRB reset

ep-unit
05-07-2008, 01:20 PM
but won't it still be better than running the k20a2 on the a3 ecu like what most people say to do to the dealer just to get the PRB reset

...................??

dcmpbl
05-07-2008, 05:39 PM
Not worth the money. Drive the car gentle straight to the dealer on the A3 ecu. Don't rev the motor past 3K and you will be fine. The motor isn't running "properly", but it will start and drive the car....don't take the comments of it "running like shit" too literally. Don't be stupid (trying to rev, race, wait a week, driving agressive) and you will be fine.