PDA

View Full Version : Emission test this week

magmagik 1
04-27-2008, 09:27 AM
Hey guys

Im sorry for a newbie question, but im trying to help my friend out. He has a a2 ep with a rh and his emission is up. Hes going tomorrow or tuesday. My question is, what does he need to do in k pro to make sure he passes?? Mods are a2 swap i/rh/e k pro and obd2 turned off. Any info would be great, he's really worried. :mfrown:

thanx again

talonXracer
04-27-2008, 10:25 AM
With OBDII disabled he will not pass. If he had a HF cat installed he might pass(depends on how the laws are in IL for emissions testing) But I have heard some guys from IL had a difficult time. Hopefully someone from there who has been through it, will post up.

magmagik 1
04-27-2008, 02:07 PM
Ok soooo enable obd2 and good to go???

AUTiger
04-27-2008, 02:46 PM
only good to go if he has a defouler that is working. I for one have a defouler on that is not working and I'm pretty sure that's why I have had a check engine light for the last 3 months. I had a testpipe on for my last emissions test, but I put the case to my cat over the pipe and the defouler was working at that time so i passed.

superchargedk20
04-27-2008, 02:58 PM
i thought there was something in kpro that u can disable so u can pass emissions. how do all those california guys pass with a RH then?

the JigGa mAn
04-27-2008, 03:07 PM
subscribed since i live in IL as well, OP if you could share the details as to what happened and if your buddy passed emissions and how

v1c10us
04-27-2008, 03:11 PM
in Tennessee they take a little stick with a mirror on it to see if you're catted.
you arent catted and they dont even waste there time with the rest of the test.
You must have obdII enabled so that they can plug their shit into your thingy.
if you have a check engine light, you fail right then and there as well.
So if your RH has caused a check engine light, you need to do the defouler thingy.

But if he has a race header, he will fail in Tennessee, probably in IL as well, because you must have a cat by law as part of the EPA's emissions regulations act and clean air act.

talonXracer
04-27-2008, 03:23 PM
But if he has a race header, he will fail in Tennessee, probably in IL as well, because you must have a cat by law as part of the EPA's emissions regulations act and clean air act.

I have a race header WITH a cat installed and passed with no problems in NY(which is only a blond"C" hair from Cali as far as OBDII Nazi-ism is concerned).

magmagik 1
04-27-2008, 03:45 PM
In IL they only plug you in to a obd2 scanner thingy, I thought there was some option in k pro to set rediness or something, so you could pass even with a raceheader. Just not sure where and how to go about that.......... I know there's a way to pass...... Be cool if someone form IL that passed with same mods, would post....

talonXracer
04-27-2008, 03:50 PM
Setting readiness only sets a ready signal for the cyclic tests, any CEL failures are not eliminated.

magmagik 1
04-27-2008, 03:57 PM
He dosent have a cell at the moment?? anyways so set readiness put a cat on and pray lol... We'll see.:mangel:

v1c10us
04-27-2008, 05:02 PM
I have a race header WITH a cat installed and passed with no problems in NY(which is only a blond"C" hair from Cali as far as OBDII Nazi-ism is concerned).

oh right, i just assumed when he said race header he had eliminated the cat.
well, yes, if you have a cat and no check engine lights, readiness on you should pass..
It depends though, if his tune has very high fuel levels because of FI or something he'll probably fail..
But i guess you wouldnt have an RH if you were FI.
If you fail i think they give you a little sticker or something and you have 1 week to fix the problem and come back

ALL MotoR Ep3
04-27-2008, 08:20 PM
As long as they dont check under the car for a CAT...and your CEL doesnt come on your good to go...

the JigGa mAn
04-29-2008, 10:23 PM
bump for an update

xachary82
04-30-2008, 07:23 AM
oh right, i just assumed when he said race header he had eliminated the cat.
well, yes, if you have a cat and no check engine lights, readiness on you should pass..
It depends though, if his tune has very high fuel levels because of FI or something he'll probably fail..
But i guess you wouldnt have an RH if you were FI.
If you fail i think they give you a little sticker or something and you have 1 week to fix the problem and come back

ah virginia, they dont give a fuck about your car unless its ear blasting loud. thats about the only good thing about VA.

rolldic
04-30-2008, 11:25 AM
i thought there was something in kpro that u can disable so u can pass emissions. how do all those california guys pass with a RH then?

no...we find crooked smog guys and pass them some side cash:mbiggrin:

T_Virus
05-01-2008, 10:19 AM

Hahaha...they don't pass with a RH...It is either they swap it out or got the hook up...

magmagik 1
05-01-2008, 08:21 PM
bump for an update
Going this coming tuesday, setting readiness and praying for a good outcome lol:mangel:

superchargedk20
05-01-2008, 09:26 PM
Hahaha...they don't pass with a RH...It is either they swap it out or got the hook up...

darn im up for emissions next year. my buddy does emissions he said as long as i have no CEL he will mark it that i have a Cat on my car. so hopefully when i do my race upgrade and put my BCRH(woot bought it yesterday), im gona try that o2 sim and hope for the best.

T_Virus
05-02-2008, 09:00 AM
good luck man..

the JigGa mAn
05-02-2008, 05:15 PM
yeah! good luck and lemme know what your friend did if he passes

catlin
05-02-2008, 07:19 PM
This is not the best way to do thing but before I had k-pro and a turbo I had a race header and all I did was disconnect the battery for a minute drive the car straight to emmisions and everything was cool they said that I had to come back because the cumputer knew that the ecu was reset but one of the guys working there said just reset it again before you come and they will pass u. Not sure if that will work for k-pro or not.

magmagik 1
05-12-2008, 04:03 PM
Quick update, emission passed. OBD2 turned on and a 02 sim. No cat no readiness set.

T_Virus
05-13-2008, 10:10 AM
you guys are so lucky...

the JigGa mAn
05-13-2008, 12:14 PM
Quick update, emission passed. OBD2 turned on and a 02 sim. No cat no readiness set.

sweet!

kon
05-13-2008, 12:20 PM

Oh damn!!! Thats awesome!!! where did you get it done?

thechromecoyote
05-13-2008, 12:34 PM
NJ isnt too much different. You get hassled more for tint than you do emissions. :mroll:

We have Visual, OBDII and Sniffer.

If you slap a heatshield on your test pipe/ RH, or if you have the test pipe that w/ the resonator, you can pass visual.

OBDII is simple, dont have any codes

Sniffer is usually good as long as you arent running a super aggressive tune.

magmagik 1
05-13-2008, 02:44 PM
Hey Kon,lharlem and 73 I think it was. Let me know when youre going over by suja. I wanna ride in your ep, I hear it pulls like hell!:meek:

superchargedk20
03-21-2010, 12:54 PM
I just went to emissions with my BCRH and i passed with flying colors. I had obII turned off and this is what I did. Went to my shop. We turned obII on and then set readiness. Disconnected from kpro and put my shops obII scanner in. Everything checked out as ready on his obII. Drove right to emissions. My boy works there so i passed the visual. He plugged it in and everything passed. Good for 2 years ya!

Jpax
03-21-2010, 12:58 PM
NICE~!! thats awesome what numbers did your emission show? can you take a pic of the sheet - just cover out your personal info

superchargedk20
03-21-2010, 01:03 PM
NICE~!! thats awesome what numbers did your emission show? can you take a pic of the sheet - just cover out your personal info

What do u mean by numbers? Just for the tests it would say ready or not ready or not supported. They only plug it to ur obII here.THeres no sniffer or anything like that

Jpax
03-21-2010, 01:09 PM
oh I thought you meant you went though the sniffer~!! ok ok