PDA

View Full Version : ep3 big brake kit questions

Princess
04-27-2008, 03:49 PM
http://www.bigbrakes4u.co.uk/gfx/BigBrakes4U/D2/D2.jpg

If money was not an issue, what would be the best big brake kit for the EP3? Spoon (http://www.spoonsports.us/catalog/products/caliperMono.htm), Endless, Stoptech (http://www.kingmotorsports.com/images/PRODUCT/large/249.jpg), Brembo, Tarox (http://www.bigbrakes4u.co.uk/tarox-brake-system-p-438.html?osCsid=833b6c72f92df4ce368a99934254b68f), Wildwood, D2 Racing Sports (http://www.bigbrakes4u.com/racing-sports-systems-p-434.html), something else?

I was driving my brother's 2003 BMW 530i and I was going down a huge hill really fast and I was able to hit the brakes and stop incredibly fast. I know that car weighs a lot more than a EP3 yet it still stops faster. Is there any hope to get a EP3 to brake like a BMW? Any tips for people shopping for a big brake kit for the EP3? Which kits do people like? I know those with 5 lugs probably have more options.

http://www.bigbrakes4u.co.uk/gfx/BigBrakes4U/Tarox/Tarox10pot.jpg

talonXracer
04-27-2008, 03:55 PM
Bigger brakes will only stop you faster if you have more traction to the road surface.

What a BBK does is add more braking force to take advantage of ultra stickie tires and stave off brake fade.

If you want a better brake feel, then just a new set of decent pads and rotors will help. A TypeS rotor/caliper upgrade works fine on a DD that sees a little backroad action.

mustclime
04-27-2008, 04:02 PM
Brakes stop the wheels, Tires stop the car. Get some big stickie tires.

Lucid Moments
04-27-2008, 04:05 PM
Bigger brakes will only stop you faster if you have more traction to the road surface.

What a BBK does is add more braking force to take advantage of ultra stickie tires and stave off brake fade.

If you want a better brake feel, then just a new set of decent pads and rotors will help. A TypeS rotor/caliper upgrade works fine on a DD that sees a little backroad action.

Both of these statement are absolutely 100% true. those being said If cost were no issue then I would go with the Stoptech kit.

dobbs02si
04-27-2008, 04:45 PM

Yeah tires made the biggest diff. on mine. IF you can keep the stock ones cool they work good, mine stop great..once lol.

mustclime
04-27-2008, 04:49 PM
Hawk hp+ with the spash shields removed in the front.....brakes are great.

Siborg
04-27-2008, 05:27 PM
I have the Rotora kit and I really like them. If I could have got Stoptechs I would have. But then again, the more expensive the kit the more replacement pads are :mmad:. My Rotora pads are like $120,Brembo, Willwood, and Stoptech are crazy expensive.

mustclime
04-27-2008, 05:29 PM
you can get a willwood kit for about 700 through summit.

Siborg
04-27-2008, 05:45 PM
damn really,thats pretty cheap,so maybe their pads aren't too bad then:mconfused:

sLiCk
04-27-2008, 08:07 PM
bmw's come with decently aggressive pads right from the factory. Ever see bmw's on the road with the front wheels caked with brake dust? ya.

ALL MotoR Ep3
04-27-2008, 08:11 PM
Yea big brake kits are very useful when trying to stop at high speeds....but its pointless and a waste of money if you not making over 250 whp because your stock brakes is perfect to stop the power your stock motor puts out

jeenyusss
04-27-2008, 08:14 PM

can you link me up?

Lucid Moments
04-28-2008, 04:46 AM
Yea big brake kits are very useful when trying to stop at high speeds....but its pointless and a waste of money if you not making over 250 whp because your stock brakes is perfect to stop the power your stock motor puts out

Huh? You got it all wrong BTW. BBKs make NO difference at high speeds. Where they make the difference is in repeated braking.

mustclime
04-28-2008, 05:20 AM
can you link me up?

lazy turbo guys.........:tsk:

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?SearchType=Make&N=700+4294907813+4294907812+4294924641+400196+4294 906225+115+4294880966

here is fast brakes also....

http://fastbrakes.com/shop/index.php?cPath=28_249

jeenyusss
04-28-2008, 08:04 AM
thanks old man :msmile:

ALL MotoR Ep3
04-28-2008, 08:06 AM
Huh? You got it all wrong BTW. BBKs make NO difference at high speeds. Where they make the difference is in repeated braking.

Oh really my fault i didnt know I thought they were needed if your making more than your stock braking system can handle.......

Zzyzx
04-28-2008, 08:27 AM
Oh really my fault i didnt know I thought they were needed if your making more than your stock braking system can handle.......

Big brake kits do a couple of useful things... and a couple of kinda sorta useful things.

there #1 job, above all else is to simply reduce brake operating temps. And by doing so they allow you to run the brakes harder Longer. What this means to you is that with out a larger rotor given One set of street compound pads... Said pad may only let you do one or two 100-0 stops before they start to fade, where as with a larger rotor you may get 3-4+ stops before they fade. Granted you could just buy a higher temp pad and keep the smaller rotors and get those 3-4+ stops. But then the BBK would allow you to run more street friendly compounds and run them just as hard. Better or worse is your decision.

Ultimatly the "BEST" brakes for your car are the ones that are as small as possible that give you Adequate heat control, with a reasonable pad compound for your application.

For example, you may be able to get every bit of the heat resistance out of a set of Hawk BLUES & OEM Rotors/calipers Vs a BBK + HAWK HPS.... but I wouldn't want to run BLUES on the street.

So the question to you regarding the need of a BBK would be.... have you experienced brake fade? and what pad compound were you using?

EDIT: For the record, Everything between your wheels back to the brake pedal deal with two things. 1. Brake "feel" and 2. Heat control.

Stopping power is the sole domain of your tires....

Lucid Moments
04-29-2008, 07:44 AM
Big brake kits do a couple of useful things... and a couple of kinda sorta useful things.

there #1 job, above all else is to simply reduce brake operating temps. And by doing so they allow you to run the brakes harder Longer. What this means to you is that with out a larger rotor given One set of street compound pads... Said pad may only let you do one or two 100-0 stops before they start to fade, where as with a larger rotor you may get 3-4+ stops before they fade. Granted you could just buy a higher temp pad and keep the smaller rotors and get those 3-4+ stops. But then the BBK would allow you to run more street friendly compounds and run them just as hard. Better or worse is your decision.

Ultimatly the "BEST" brakes for your car are the ones that are as small as possible that give you Adequate heat control, with a reasonable pad compound for your application.

For example, you may be able to get every bit of the heat resistance out of a set of Hawk BLUES & OEM Rotors/calipers Vs a BBK + HAWK HPS.... but I wouldn't want to run BLUES on the street.

So the question to you regarding the need of a BBK would be.... have you experienced brake fade? and what pad compound were you using?

EDIT: For the record, Everything between your wheels back to the brake pedal deal with two things. 1. Brake "feel" and 2. Heat control.

Stopping power is the sole domain of your tires....

You forgot to add, they do look cool too.:doh::party:

tieu
05-01-2008, 09:23 AM
i have wilwood BBK and replacement pads were $50 CDN but the cross drill slotted rotors were $150 cdn each

FCobra94
05-01-2008, 09:56 AM
Hawk hp+ with the spash shields removed in the front.....brakes are great.
I was thinking of ditching the dust shields myself the next time I get my wheels off...

Any negative effects that you can think of or have experienced? My Bobcats throw out a good amount of dust already, but other than that, I wouldn't know what else to watch for.

Thanks!

mustclime
05-01-2008, 12:39 PM
I was thinking of ditching the dust shields myself the next time I get my wheels off...

Any negative effects that you can think of or have experienced? My Bobcats throw out a good amount of dust already, but other than that, I wouldn't know what else to watch for.

Thanks!

I think there is less dust with the shields off. If you blew a axil and coated your brakes with cv grease there might be a problem but aside from that, none that I can think of.

02nhbpep3
05-03-2008, 06:13 AM
the wilwood kit from summit is front only

Lucid Moments
05-03-2008, 06:48 AM
the wilwood kit from summit is front only

Every BBK out there for the EP is front only. You don't need to upgrade the rear brakes.

VividSI
05-11-2008, 05:56 PM
I would love to get the brembos but my rear rotors wouldnt match the slotted front ones. And their too expensive so thats why its dumb. I dont think you can get 4 slotted rotors for the EP that isnt powerslot.

RedSiBaron
05-11-2008, 06:03 PM
yah i wouldnt do that princess...you should just do the type s brake swap, its hte same brake setup that was designed for the ep3type r...

its wonderful with ss lines and good rotors and pads...it wont cost you as much either, and its oem and wont cause headaches for you

RedSiBaron
05-11-2008, 06:04 PM
I would love to get the brembos but my rear rotors wouldnt match the slotted front ones. And their too expensive so thats why its dumb. I dont think you can get 4 slotted rotors for the EP that isnt powerslot.

you can get slotted rear brembo rotors to match the fronts...

civictype_r04
05-11-2008, 06:09 PM
How about the powerslot big brake kit?

r_jones06
05-11-2008, 06:21 PM
better brake pads and upgraded brake lines

valley _boy
05-11-2008, 09:26 PM
complete type s brake setup and spoon calipers are good enough for me.

trickkykidd.02
05-11-2008, 09:33 PM
The cehaper Wilwood kit is without dust sheild and is meant for race use (ie very frequent rebuilds)..

The dust sheilds are like a 200 add on.

www.fastbrakes.com has a bunch of oem upgrades and modded kits for our cars including 11" rear rotor upgrade and full willwood kits.

great package price deals for F+R..

MugsyTheGr8
05-11-2008, 09:39 PM
with these bbks, are there any companies making street compound pads for these? i know hawk makes some of their less agressive compounds in sizes that fit into the wilwood calipers.

Stubby
05-12-2008, 12:48 PM
Dont know if you can see it on my avitar, but I have the stoptech bbk and love every minute of it. The only thing I wish I would have done different is went with the non-slotted rotor. I think the stoping power would have been that much more serious if i would have went with a flat rotor.

stubby

Lucid Moments
05-12-2008, 01:06 PM
with these bbks, are there any companies making street compound pads for these? i know hawk makes some of their less agressive compounds in sizes that fit into the wilwood calipers.

Wilwood makes a street compound pad too, they call it their "Poly Q" pad. I've used it before and its nice, quiet and doesn't dust too much.

Lucid Moments
05-12-2008, 01:08 PM
Dont know if you can see it on my avitar, but I have the stoptech bbk and love every minute of it. The only thing I wish I would have done different is went with the non-slotted rotor. I think the stoping power would have been that much more serious if i would have went with a flat rotor.

stubby

I didn't realize you had gone with the Stoptechs Stubs. I want to check them out if you come back down for NOPI.

VividSI
05-14-2008, 06:58 PM
I printed out that page that has the caliper fitment size for the stoptech bbk and it looks like it will clear my hfp wheels with plenty of room to spare. The only thing that sucks is that I couldnt use my 16's again. The type S swap is sounding like the way to go. Anybody know a good place to get them?

MugsyTheGr8
05-14-2008, 07:42 PM
if your worried about fitment, willwod makes a bbk that fastbrakes.com has assured me will fit under a 15"

04cvcsi
05-14-2008, 10:20 PM
i've got SS brake lines and i'm in need of some new brake pads
is it really worth getting the Hawk HPS+ over the HPS?

MugsyTheGr8
05-14-2008, 10:29 PM
i would recommend the satisfied gransport 6

Lucid Moments
05-15-2008, 04:24 AM
i've got SS brake lines and i'm in need of some new brake pads
is it really worth getting the Hawk HPS+ over the HPS?

I recommend against the HP+ on a street car. They are obnoxiously noisy. The HPS are fine. The GranSports are good pads too.

clandestine2
05-15-2008, 06:31 AM
I think there is less dust with the shields off. If you blew a axil and coated your brakes with cv grease there might be a problem but aside from that, none that I can think of.

Grassroots Motorsports just had a big article on upgrading brakes. I would recommend everyone to read it because they usually have very reliable info. I think they said the only thing you need to do if you take the dust shields off is to protect your cv joints and the like from the added heat.