PDA

View Full Version : 02/03 Type-R Tail lights on 04/05 Si?

SiN05
04-27-2008, 03:49 PM
Has anyone done this. I'd like to know what I need to installed them. I know oogy-boogy had a write up about it before the form got wiped. But his was an 02/03

HmongBoi-Si
04-27-2008, 04:42 PM
I haven't done it but i have an 04 si with 02/03 tail lights. I just went to autozone pick up some red brake paint and i painted the lights. It looks pretty nice almost the same as the 02/03 tail lights.

chuck83
04-27-2008, 06:52 PM
i need info on this too, like really bad.. i bought my ctr tails right before the forum ate itself and didnt save any of the swap info

chuck83
04-27-2008, 06:52 PM
from what i can tell already the brake light socket is a direct swap, but the turn signal and reverse lights are different sockets

SiN05
04-28-2008, 09:10 AM
yeah i know there are some minor modifications that need to be made. I just wanna make sure I wanna do it before i buy the tail lights. Also I think you have to order some bulbs because of being different. there are 3 pairs for sale on ebay and they seem reasonable so that why I'm looking into it

dmon
04-29-2008, 03:14 AM
i got it. the signal n brake, you need to cut a lil slot and it will fit perfectly. but the reverse in the 04-05 are to small for the tails. im not to sure, but i think u can get the reverse light socket thingy from the older models. or u can save the time and just put the reverse light in. no 1 can tell, unless they are really looking at it lol

Kodeen
04-29-2008, 09:25 AM
I don't have the ctr tails, but I did the 05 -> 03 USDM swap. Here's how the sockets look:

05 brake light socket is used without modification.
05 turn signal socket will have to be reused as the 03 reverse light.
new sockets will have to be purchased for the 03 turn signals.

Now if I remember correctly, Sinister told me that to go from 03 USDM to 03 CTR you need to remove a clip or something on the brake light socket, and the turn and reverse lights go unchanged. I'll PM her, since she definitely knows what needs to be done.

chuck83
04-29-2008, 04:14 PM
I don't have the ctr tails, but I did the 05 -> 03 USDM swap. Here's how the sockets look:

Now if I remember correctly, Sinister told me that to go from 03 USDM to 03 CTR you need to remove a clip or something on the brake light socket, and the turn and reverse lights go unchanged. I'll PM her, since she definitely knows what needs to be done.

any word from sinister yet? im anxious as hell to put my ctr tails in

OZ.EP3
04-29-2008, 06:27 PM
Me too, picked up a set of rear JDM lights and had no success in installing them due to the socket sizes. The other thing is my 02 has 3 bulb sockets and the JDM's have 4, somebody plz help:wave:

SiN05
04-29-2008, 07:20 PM
i got it. the signal n brake, you need to cut a lil slot and it will fit perfectly. but the reverse in the 04-05 are to small for the tails. im not to sure, but i think u can get the reverse light socket thingy from the older models. or u can save the time and just put the reverse light in. no 1 can tell, unless they are really looking at it lol

Id rather not cut into the clips that hold the lights in place. Also anyone know the part#'s on the the bulbs? Can they be picked up at a dealer or a place like Advanced Auto

SinisterCivicSi
04-29-2008, 07:24 PM

you dont have to cut anything on the taillights! you dont need to cut any wires. i am gonna have to look up the info, i thought that diy was reinstated but i cant find it. let me see what i can pull up.

i did my tails a LOOOOONG time ago...lol i forgot the specific parts you have to buy but i am going to find that info and post it up for you guys. you need different clips because the usdm harness is different than the jdm one. i didnt cut any wires... i just had to remove the clips that were mentioned and replace with the jdm clips and that was it. i am horrible at soldering so this is why i loved this mod, no wire cutting involved.

now to find the diy on the jdm rear fog mod. :mredface:

dmon
04-29-2008, 08:22 PM
lol sorry maybe i said somethings wrong...

On the 04-05 civic, the brake and signal has 1 more tab the jdm tails dont have.so i had to mark where i needed to cut on the 02-03 tails, and used a dremel to make a small cut, so the sockets would fit perfectly. and it should slide right in nice and tight

&& i didnt have to move any clips or anything. i just put the sockets in, and screwed the tails with no problem.

&& maybe kodeen right about the brakes. it may fit perfectly. but i know for sure that you have to cut a small slot on the jdm tails to make one socket fit. and i did this like...6 months ago or something lol.

0h5ive_EP3
06-22-2008, 09:59 PM
I haven't done it but i have an 04 si with 02/03 tail lights. I just went to autozone pick up some red brake paint and i painted the lights. It looks pretty nice almost the same as the 02/03 tail lights.

hey do you have pics by any chance?

si4life
08-05-2008, 11:03 AM
here's the DIY post for tail light install.

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48635

Kerby
08-05-2008, 11:21 AM
I just did them last night. very easy install. you just need PATIENCE!!!!!!

you don't have to cut any wires.

like others have said... the brake lights is not modded. It's left alone.
1.)Take the signal light bulb assembly and unclip it from the harness.
2.) Holding the clip with wire is one hand and apply pressure as to pull the wires from the clip, gently use a fine nail to "un-clip" the terminals inside the clip. Where you do this is where the clip connects to the bulb socket. This picture is not clear in that DIY. It should come out smoothly. REMEMBER the order how they went. it's important. you'll mess with the polarity.
3.) Install turnsignal wires onto new clip. use a needlenose plier to clip the metal "prongs" to the clip. You should here a "click" to each terminal.
4.)Take the reverse light bulb socket assembly and unclip. Go to town here. It's a PITA to unclip. You don't the clip anyway. Use the clip from the turnsignal that you took off in step (2) and reconnect. Again, use needlenose pliers to clip the metal "prongs" to the clip. You should here a "click" to each terminal.
5.) Before assembly have your buddy or wife in my case turn the car on, step on the brake, turn lights on, and put in reverse to make sure everything is okay.
6.) swap the bottom metal 90degree bracket.
7.) use the old or put on the new gasket.
8.) as you tightened the tailight down apply alittle pressure to "push" the taillight in. It made it alittle easier to bolt down the light and it made for a cleaner gap to the sheetmetal.
9.) To get to the real PITA top 8mm nut, simply disconnect the reverse light socket and push to the side. after tightening, reconnect.

10.) now would be a good time to switch the brake light to the top. But i got UKDM lights so haha:tehehyper:

hope this helps.

v1c10us
08-05-2008, 02:47 PM
or you can cut out the hole on 02-03 taillights that is already stamped and just move the brake light and they'll be exactly the same.
then rig a foglight bulb up to your foglights and up the fuse by 10 amps and put a seperate switch in there and you've got the edm rear foglight too!