PDA

View Full Version : acura TL brake swap

v1c10us
04-27-2008, 05:10 PM
How hard would this be to do?
I was driving next to one the other day and they had big calipers and big rotors, made me want to source the parts to swap it, atleast just the back wheels, because a bbk on the front might be cheaper

ep3moschini
04-27-2008, 06:42 PM
its actually not worth it, the calipers would require different brackets, rotors, and prop valve in order to work, and then they might hurt the cars braking. they did a write up on this on k20a.org and on crsx

imo go for the type-s brake conversion, I love it

v1c10us
04-27-2008, 10:32 PM
its actually not worth it, the calipers would require different brackets, rotors, and prop valve in order to work, and then they might hurt the cars braking. they did a write up on this on k20a.org and on crsx

imo go for the type-s brake conversion, I love it

none of that is a problem except for maybe the prop valve.
What IS a prop valve, then I'll know if its a problem.
The TL has a braking distance of 122 ft 60-0 and weighs 3623 pounds

the Si 128 feet.
and it weighs nearly 1000 pounds less..
theres something to be gained in that.
Although as you said there are probably easier ways to reduce your stopping distance.

Blue03Si
04-27-2008, 10:55 PM
You could probably just buy a stoptech or fastbrakes kit for the same price, get some better pads, and call it a day.

ep_hatcher_510
04-27-2008, 11:38 PM
As much as i would like to see this conversion, you are better off getting stickier tires first.

v1c10us
04-28-2008, 09:35 AM
i've got R compound tires in a 225 on my summer rims just waiting to be put on. So im not worried about that.
And I currently have brembo blanks upfront and powerslot slotted rear rotors with hawk HPS pads and endless brake fluid and SS brake lines. My brakes are amazing, but im obsessed with brakes so I just thought i'd see if any one had done it.
Im about to swap my pads for the Endless pads though.

Blue03Si
04-28-2008, 10:01 AM
i've got R compound tires in a 225 on my summer rims just waiting to be put on. So im not worried about that.
And I currently have brembo blanks upfront and powerslot slotted rear rotors with hawk HPS pads and endless brake fluid and SS brake lines. My brakes are amazing, but im obsessed with brakes so I just thought i'd see if any one had done it.

Your probably already getting some great stopping distance then. Maybe you should just look into a a BBK.

Zzyzx
04-28-2008, 10:03 AM
none of that is a problem except for maybe the prop valve.
What IS a prop valve, then I'll know if its a problem.
The TL has a braking distance of 122 ft 60-0 and weighs 3623 pounds

the Si 128 feet.
and it weighs nearly 1000 pounds less..
theres something to be gained in that.
Although as you said there are probably easier ways to reduce your stopping distance.

Tires, plane and simple. Given that your tires are the only things touching the asphalt... that means they are the only things capable of creating traction. and thus, are the single part that will determine your cars stopping distances.

Brake rotors & calipers are just going to determine how hot you can run the brakes and how the brake pedal feels....

Basically; If you want to stop faster, buy better tires. If you want to stop more consistently over multiple hard stops... then start looking at the rest of your brake system.

Zzyzx
04-28-2008, 10:10 AM
I assume you are quoting the TL-S stopping distance Stock, vs the Civic Si Stock...

Tires For TL-S = Bridgestone Potenza RE030 (SUMMER TIRE)
Tires For Civic Si = Michlin Pilot HX MXM4 (ALL-Season tire...)

No wonder the TL stops in a shorter distance.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/CompareTires.jsp?sortValue=1&filterType=oe&displayResults=77&compare=true&autoMake=Acura&autoModel=TL&autoYear=2008&autoModClar=Type-S&vehicleSearch=true&compareList=25%2C62&RunFlat=All&goWhere=%252Ftires%252FCompare1.jsp&minLoad=S&minSpeedRating=V&sortCode=49850&width=235%2F&ratio=45&diameter=17&speed_rating=V&speed_rating=Z&speed_rating=W&speed_rating=Y&speed_rating=%28Y%29&startIndex=0

ep_hatcher_510
04-28-2008, 10:50 AM

:msmile:Sounds like your pretty well off already, but i think you might as well get a bbk if you want to reduce brake fade and such. Do you track the car?

SPAM&RICE
04-28-2008, 11:07 AM
You could probably just buy a stoptech or fastbrakes kit for the same price, get some better pads, and call it a day.

Totally agree. unless you got TL components lying around.

v1c10us
04-28-2008, 02:17 PM
:msmile:Sounds like your pretty well off already, but i think you might as well get a bbk if you want to reduce brake fade and such. Do you track the car?

I do not track the car but I drive in the mountains alot with my car club.

I dont really have any brake fade, I removed the dust shields and I've got those metal tubes for you're drier routed from the fog lights to the brakes.
I suppose its futile, the reason im interested is because theres a junk yard around here that doesnt have night dogs and theres a road behind the top tier of the yard and theres a broken fence. Theres also a TL in there with out a roof. (think he got side swiped by a semi)
So I wanted to go in there in the cover of darkness, knab the brakes and throw them on there, I just assumed the bigger calipers would bite better.