PDA

View Full Version : HKS turbo: fuel return mod may not be necessary with SMC

02SilverSiHB
11-08-2002, 08:13 AM
I was over at clubsi.....I know :D but the boost guys over there are awsome. ZIPP22 was posting a SMC FAQ about the SMC. It will most likely eliminate the problem for the return fuel mod and therefore eliminate the FMU. This SMC sounds awsome! I think with this and hondata, a good setup can be obtained with daily driving boost......
http://forums.clubsi.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB12&Number=1383768&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=

NamingException
11-08-2002, 11:22 AM
That's cool. I was under the impression that the need for a return line was because the fuel pump simply couldn't keep up and that it needed to be upgraded in conjunction with an FMU, I didn't realize that it was just the stock mappings that necessitated the FMU. The way I understand this is that the SMC tells the pump to inject more fuel, in effect becoming a sort of FMU. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

If this is the case, isn't it concievable that Hondata (for instance) could reprogram the stock ECU to perform the same function?

Hope I'm making sense, I'm new to this and still getting my head around it. It's very interesting.

02SilverSiHB
11-08-2002, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by NamingException
That's cool. I was under the impression that the need for a return line was because the fuel pump simply couldn't keep up and that it needed to be upgraded in conjunction with an FMU, I didn't realize that it was just the stock mappings that necessitated the FMU. The way I understand this is that the SMC tells the pump to inject more fuel, in effect becoming a sort of FMU. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

If this is the case, isn't it concievable that Hondata (for instance) could reprogram the stock ECU to perform the same function?

Hope I'm making sense, I'm new to this and still getting my head around it. It's very interesting.
yeah, your making since! Hondata setups use the stock fuel pump. That's what I was going to go with when I had my JRSC on the EX. I would use the stock FMU with an OBDI ecu and bigger injectors. Basically the SMC is the same thing, I just wonder if adding it along with Hondata will help even more

Hondatech
11-08-2002, 07:07 PM
Our EPs would need a return line to run a rising rate FMU becuase our factory FMU is located IN the fuel pump/fuel gauge sender assembly in the tank, and there is only one line running out to the fuel rail. Theory goes, If this factory FMU was bypassed, one could run a return line from the fuel rail back to the gas tank and run a rising rate FMU to control fueling under boost, like some older model aftermarket kits (DRAG, GReddy, Jackson Racing SC).

Of course, this is a horrifically overcomplicated way to go about using a shitty management system. This SMC unit, while not ideal (Ideal is still gonna be a programmable Hondata system :D ), is a FAR cry better then any return-line-RRFMU crap.

02SilverSiHB
11-08-2002, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by Hondatech
Our EPs would need a return line to run a rising rate FMU becuase our factory FMU is located IN the fuel pump/fuel gauge sender assembly in the tank, and there is only one line running out to the fuel rail. Theory goes, If this factory FMU was bypassed, one could run a return line from the fuel rail back to the gas tank and run a rising rate FMU to control fueling under boost, like some older model aftermarket kits (DRAG, GReddy, Jackson Racing SC).

Of course, this is a horrifically overcomplicated way to go about using a shitty management system. This SMC unit, while not ideal (Ideal is still gonna be a programmable Hondata system :D ), is a FAR cry better then any return-line-RRFMU crap.
now when you say we have a FMU intake, do you mean a FPR? FMU to me is something aftermarket, like on my previous civic, I had a stock FPR and then upgraded the FPR to an AEM FPR. Then when I put the JRSC on, I added a FMU which would take over to make more fuel in boost.

Hondatech
11-08-2002, 11:24 PM
Yes, sorry, in tank FPR.

myeverlovinsir
11-08-2002, 11:44 PM
AEM also make the same FMU, although this has not been tested
to date. JRP was sort of stumped when I asked if it was mateable
with our OBD2. I think there will be alot of other aftermarket items
available in the near future. Hold tight.