PDA

View Full Version : K20z1 Swap Q's

whitt
04-27-2008, 07:40 PM
I'm glad we're back, but I cannot find any info about the swap. Really bad timing, as I just bought a z1 swap. If anyone can tell me what to look out for or explain the transmission procedure I would be stoked. I can't remember if it was swapping the a3 vss or ? Any rate hopefully someone here who has done the swap can repost. I should have copied it or something. I guess I just assumed it would always be here. Thanks in advance.

moonsi
04-27-2008, 11:41 PM
are you using Kpro or Z1 ECU? or A2 ECU?

VSS need to be modified in order to use A2 ECU

if you are running Z1 or Kpro, no worry about VSS

Kpro has its own VSS converting system

whitt
05-01-2008, 03:17 PM
I have kpro, but everyone says it still needs to be modded? There were some people on here who had been through this. I think we lost some people. Thanks for the info, any additional would be appreciated.

whitt
05-02-2008, 05:05 PM
Hondata says the speedo will not work and no vtec. I am not sure what happened, but is there anyway to recover or repost the info we had here pertaining to k20z1 swaps. I have looked everywhere, and no luck.

Jpax
05-02-2008, 05:10 PM
Hondata says the speedo will not work and no vtec. I am not sure what happened, but is there anyway to recover or repost the info we had here pertaining to k20z1 swaps. I have looked everywhere, and no luck.

What do you want to know? Ask sir

what ECU are you using? K20A2?

the JigGa mAn
05-02-2008, 05:14 PM
are you using Kpro or Z1 ECU? or A2 ECU?

VSS need to be modified in order to use A2 ECU

if you are running Z1 or Kpro, no worry about VSS

Kpro has its own VSS converting system

this has ALWAYS bugged me...

if/when doing a motor swap can i use my a3(si) kpro'd ecu? or would i need to get a ecu similar to the motor being swapped and kpro that if i wanted?

i know the a2 (type s) ecu has the reverse lockout..

Jpax
05-02-2008, 05:30 PM
this has ALWAYS bugged me...

if/when doing a motor swap can i use my a3(si) kpro'd ecu? or would i need to get a ecu similar to the motor being swapped and kpro that if i wanted?

i know the a2 (type s) ecu has the reverse lockout..

Yes you can use your A3 Ecu.

I used an A3 Ecu on the K24A2 build, no reverse lock out,but seriously it takes ALOT of force to get it into reverse when travelilng forward. I woudn't know nor tried to do it. but its not a big deal, and you can run a wire to the lock out silinoid and turn it on.

whitt
05-02-2008, 05:31 PM
What do you want to know? Ask sir

what ECU are you using? K20A2?

I am using kpro on a3 ecu. I just can't remember if I need to swap the vss from the a3 to the z1 trans, or I see where people keep mentioning a convertor? I talked to Rob at Hasport briefly today, and he said Brian was out and would be the only one famliar with the vss issue. He also again made fun of me for not going k24.

the JigGa mAn
05-02-2008, 05:38 PM
Yes you can use your A3 Ecu.

I used an A3 Ecu on the K24A2 build, no reverse lock out,but seriously it takes ALOT of force to get it into reverse when travelilng forward. I woudn't know nor tried to do it. but its not a big deal, and you can run a wire to the lock out silinoid and turn it on.
thanks joe!

I am using kpro on a3 ecu. I just can't remember if I need to swap the vss from the a3 to the z1 trans, or I see where people keep mentioning a convertor? I talked to Rob at Hasport briefly today, and he said Brian was out and would be the only one famliar with the vss issue. He also again made fun of me for not going k24.

right fully so

whitt
05-02-2008, 05:43 PM
Ouch. Once I get this thing worked out it'll be ok. I just wanted to build a z1. I do like torque honest. Maybe 24 later down the road as I plan to tear down and rebuild after putting some mileage on the z1.

Jpax
05-02-2008, 05:46 PM
The speed sensors are different and will NOT install into each others location. the Z1 Vss is like 108 times faster then the A2 Vss meaning it will read 110 MPH on your speed O when your doing 2 mph. so it will not read correctly.

Hondata Should have a Hardware upgrade plan, meaning they might have a new chipset that can be done to your A3 ECU. there is a option in Kpro parameters under the Misc tab > No speed sensor provide constant speeed signal. but that won't fix the problem of not having a speed signal for your MPH gauge

whitt
05-02-2008, 05:53 PM
Ahh. So Hondata will fix my issue? I hope so man, kinda worried. My wife is going to punch my face if it costs much more. Everytime I buy a car I swap it and say only blah dollars, and you know the rest.

So hondata will convert the signal, but will my a3 trans harness plug into the z1 trans? Thanks man I appreciate you guys taking time to help.

(reading further > me ) Kpro parameters under the Misc tab > No speed sensor provide constant speeed signal. but that won't fix the problem of not having a speed signal for your MPH gauge

Jpax
05-02-2008, 05:58 PM
Ahh. So Hondata will fix my issue? I hope so man, kinda worried. My wife is going to punch my face if it costs much more. Everytime I buy a car I swap it and say only blah dollars, and you know the rest.

So hondata will convert the signal, but will my a3 trans harness plug into the z1 trans? Thanks man I appreciate you guys taking time to help.

(reading further > me ) Kpro parameters under the Misc tab > No speed sensor provide constant speeed signal. but that won't fix the problem of not having a speed signal for your MPH gauge

No hondata MIGHT have an upgrade path, that will cost money to get it upgraded to the new hardware. how much I have no clue.

The sensor plugs If I remember right are different, 3 wires still but the plastic plug is different

talonXracer
05-02-2008, 05:59 PM
Check this link out and click on the Kswap tab on the left. VSS convertors.
http://www.dscustoms.com/s2000cluster.htm

whitt
05-02-2008, 05:59 PM
I wonder how SiR R8td and Loganzwan made the signal work? Is there a real converter? I know when we were all talking about s2k cluster there was speak of such a converter, but really never saw anything substantial about it.

Jpax
05-02-2008, 06:01 PM
$170 for that ouch.

whitt
05-02-2008, 06:03 PM
Check this link out and click on the Kswap tab on the left. VSS convertors.
http://www.dscustoms.com/s2000cluster.htm

Right I do remember this guy. I just wasn't sure if this is how people were making the speedo work. Also, will this fix the no vtec issue hondata mentioned?

Jpax
05-02-2008, 06:04 PM
Right I do remember this guy. I just wasn't sure if this is how people were making the speedo work. Also, will this fix the no vtec issue hondata mentioned?

Where did you read that? I would assume that if they do have an upgrade you did get that fixed too. link please

whitt
05-02-2008, 06:04 PM
$170 for that ouch.

Yeah I think Imma get punched in the face!

whitt
05-02-2008, 06:09 PM
Where did you read that? I would assume that if they do have an upgrade you did get that fixed too. link please

http://www.hondata.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6698&highlight=vss

Hope this makes sense, cause I was bummed.

Jpax
05-02-2008, 06:10 PM
LOL your funny. while kpro is open Im loooking at the Vtec Tab and the Options section for vtec is ready to be clicked meaning it can be used. so you can use the switch, or and the VTC will work too, and you can Cam it and diable any errors from performance cam shafts might throw.

and i read that link

Under the Tab Misc you can TURN ON A constant SPEED SIGNAL meaning it will work with Vtec.

whitt
05-02-2008, 06:15 PM
Right on man. I just hate dealing with this part of swaps. I don't mind turing the wrench, but dread wiring and sensor issues. I had a nightmare when I swapped the lude from odb I to obd II.

http://www.hondata.com/techk20transmissions.html

This link may help out others in the same situ.

whitt
05-03-2008, 06:37 AM
I found this also and it appears it may be the answer.

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=126/category_id=287/home_id=59/mode=prod/prd126.htm

All in all I may end up just switching trans cases. I hate wiring issues, and would not know where to put the convertor box. Any suggestions on what might be best?

03Si757
05-03-2008, 07:22 AM
Yeah I think Imma get punched in the face!

Make sure you post a vid and sound clip of that :mconfused: