PDA

View Full Version : Mounting the Battery In the Rear

2k2SiAutoXer
11-08-2002, 08:46 AM
I am planning to mount the battery in the reat of the hatch for two reasons. 1. Better weight dist. For autoXing and 2. Running a Thick wire from the battery to the Amp would be cheaper and easier if the two were near eachother. I was thinking of runnign the Main power cable from where it connects normally under the hood underneath the whole car, rather than through it. I would run a length of piping of some sort to protect the wire from damage form weather, bottoming out, ect. I would hate to have my main power cable ground out or get cut. Does anyone have any Ideas? Thaks
----Tom

ColinCivicSiR
11-08-2002, 01:40 PM
For autocrossing, it would not pass tech, if it was outside the car.

2k2SiAutoXer
11-09-2002, 06:05 PM
I dont mean to say that you are wrong, because you are probabally right but how do you know? I have not been autocrossing for too long but I have done a good deal of research on the computer and not found anything 'official' about teching a car. Is thid just a regional rule maybe? I would think if it was done right there would be no problems. Thanks for the info anyway.
----Tom

nikkotyper
11-10-2002, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by ColinCivicSiR
For autocrossing, it would not pass tech, if it was outside the car.

Maybe he means relocating the battery in the trunk. That's legal in STS. GRM people did it. Check their website or their magazine.

ColinCivicSiR
11-10-2002, 11:18 AM
It does not specifically say you can not run it outside the car in a conduit or something like that. The rules state:

17.9. ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
The make, model number, and size of the battery may be changed but not its voltage. Relocation of the battery or batteries is permitted but not into the passenger compartment. If the battery is relocated and the original battery tray can be removed by simply unbolting it, the tray may be removed, or relocated with the battery. Holes may be drilled for mounting or passage of cables. Longer cables may be substituted to permit relocation. The number of battery or batteries may not be changed from stock. The area behind the rearmost seat is not considered to be within the passenger compartment.

It says holes may be drilled for passage of cables, it does not say that conduits or piping may be added, remember if the rules don't say you can do it, you can't. The rules are vague in this area I agree.

It is not a good idea to do so though, there is to much chance that you will damage the wire and cause an electrical short or fire.

If you want to run it outside the car it could be fine, but remember ultimately your car passing tech is up to the chief of tech and if he/she deems it to be an unsafe mod then it is, you can appeal but you will still miss that event. I would not pass you if I was teching.

2k2SiAutoXer
11-12-2002, 02:39 AM
If i was going to do it, the wires would be run to where they are within the frame, not flush or sticking out. I would take a great deal of time into running a safe route, much like hot the brake lines or fuel lines are run and I would prob use alum. pipe for extra protection. And NO, I would not run my main power line next to the fuel line =). It looks like I am going to have to talk to my local heads and maybe even drop a line to Grassroots Motorsports to see how they did it. I am just unsure about running a thick wire through the interioor of my car, I dont like the look of panel re-attached and wires all over the place. Thanks again for the input.
---Tom

ConeCrazy02
11-25-2002, 11:47 PM
Mounting Batteries in the trunk could cause many problems: rooms are compromise and the fumes from the battery could prove to be fatal if not vented correctly. GRM vented their battery by buying a battery relocation kit. The lines run through within the frame. If you're planning to use your si as a daily driver, the spare/tools need to be tie down very securely or else that 60lb would fly around when turning hard(autocross as we know it would allow removal of tools/spare).

2k2SiAutoXer
11-27-2002, 12:29 AM
thanks cone, do you know where I might find me one of those battery relocation kits?

pocketrocket
01-31-2003, 01:30 AM
This might be digging up an old thread, but if you haven't done so already, check out Moroso's Blue Box. It'd be perfect for you application, also if you're worried about safety, get an Optima Battery.. You'd be safe even running upside down. But from my experience, you'd pass tech if you had the battery mounted inside the hatchback part, as long as it was mounted solidly and wouldn't move.... at least that's how it flies here.

Good Luck.
-PR