PDA

View Full Version : Rota C10 Flaking??

macdady678
04-28-2008, 03:24 PM
I've been looking to get some Rota C10's in some type of Bronze color for my Black 04 EP; but Hikaru from JLBmotorsports told me the regular bronze is a pale washed out color and the Full Royal Sports Bronze is a darker anodized bronze that has a tendency to just flake off to bare metal.

Has anyone ever heard of this happening to Rota rims, or own these same rims and have this problem? Also, what would be a good price on these?

P.S. Pics would be awesome...

civictype_r04
04-28-2008, 03:48 PM
I have seen some rotas start to flake. It all comes down to if you take care of them.

Chazwick05
04-28-2008, 08:47 PM
I have seen some rotas start to flake. It all comes down to if you take care of them.

it also comes down to if you live in the snowbelt, with road salt and shitty ass roads. i hate nj/pittsburgh. and truth be told, i run studded snows on my stock rims from about thanksgiving till mid march, so yeah. and my rotas are starting to take a dump :mcry:

03silverEP
04-28-2008, 10:36 PM
my black c10's don't flake, but i clean them a lot. and it's black Krylon matches well....

macdady678
04-28-2008, 10:43 PM
what's the proper method to taking care of them (excluding scratches, curbing, etc)? Is there some type of care product for rims that acts like a sealant?

Would it be a good idea to clear coat it with maybe a matte like finish? (I hope they make matte clear coats in spray cans...)

its a ivtec
04-28-2008, 11:14 PM
I had sum rota slipstreams in black fade off a while back..but if u keep them clean n maintain them they shud last

on another note.. I like your fog lights..are those DIY's? if so ,have the write up or where I can find a pair

macdady678
04-28-2008, 11:49 PM
Thanks. I do have a write-up on how I did it, I had just been waiting to wash my car so I wouldn't be so embarrassed taking pics of my car. Now I'm just lazy to take pictures. I'll get it up eventually. They're based on type-x's bmw retrofit fog lights. I basically just bondo-ed it in.

Are all rims susceptible to this kind of fading/flaking, or mainly Rotas?

MugsyTheGr8
04-29-2008, 08:07 AM
Thanks. I do have a write-up on how I did it, I had just been waiting to wash my car so I wouldn't be so embarrassed taking pics of my car. Now I'm just lazy to take pictures. I'll get it up eventually. They're based on type-x's bmw retrofit fog lights. I basically just bondo-ed it in.

Are all rims susceptible to this kind of fading/flaking, or mainly Rotas?

Hikaru told me the same thing. He just said that the process that rota used was ineffective and cheap, and that most companies paint is better than rotas anodizing.

johnnyhatchback
04-29-2008, 09:11 AM
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2259833

i had the same thing happen to me from jlb, they tried to push some other wheels on me (konig heliums) and I wanted full royal bronze C8’s… I shopped around and called wheeldude.com (aka subydude.com) and they price matched and had much better customer service. They said the coating that rota uses now is backed by warranty so if one starts to flake you could send it back for a new one (or a whole set if they are all flaking). I’ve only had them for a few months so I can say how well the coating is yet, but I had black slipstreams for a year and they were fine.

MugsyTheGr8
04-29-2008, 03:22 PM
i guess we should make a thread for all the people with rotas to post how their finishes are holding up.

johnnyhatchback
04-30-2008, 10:02 AM
http://www.honda-tech.com/zeropost?cmd=tshow&id=2287614

it happened. rota wouldnt have changed their process and been willing to replace their wheels if it wasnt partly true but i couldnt find a lot of posts or pictures confirming the problem. i ordered my sports bronze mod/frsb c8s and the new coating seems very durable. the guy in the post above had them for eleven months and they barely started chipping, depending on circumstances that isnt too bad, but not that great either. powdercoat should hold better than that, im not sure if rotas are anodized or powdercoated or what. i had fat five gsr wheels sand blasted and powdercoated and they looked fine after five years of winter and summer (in colorado).

MugsyTheGr8
04-30-2008, 12:08 PM
http://www.honda-tech.com/zeropost?cmd=tshow&id=2287614

it happened. rota wouldnt have changed their process and been willing to replace their wheels if it wasnt partly true but i couldnt find a lot of posts or pictures confirming the problem. i ordered my sports bronze mod/frsb c8s and the new coating seems very durable. the guy in the post above had them for eleven months and they barely started chipping, depending on circumstances that isnt too bad, but not that great either. powdercoat should hold better than that, im not sure if rotas are anodized or powdercoated or what. i had fat five gsr wheels sand blasted and powdercoated and they looked fine after five years of winter and summer (in colorado).
according to hikaru at jlb, the rotas frsb finish is anodized

mAtAs2U
04-30-2008, 02:23 PM
i had C10's royal bronze never had a problem with the paint comming off the rims :mwink:

epmex
05-13-2008, 02:06 PM
i had C10's royal bronze never had a problem with the paint comming off the rims :mwink:

same here!