PDA

View Full Version : possible nissan owner turned honda owner.

classicaddict
04-28-2008, 04:33 PM
ok. over the past 5 years or so i have owned a few b13 se-r's (91-94) i loved them and still do.........cant beat the price tag of one of them and the TQ the sr20 can produce to knock you back into your seat. however the time has come for reliability and comfort (things a 14 year old car simply can not provide)

at first i had my mind set on owning a tacoma......gas prices went way to high much to fast to allow that. then i figured on a mid sized sedan like an a4 or a TL. again with gas prices going even higher.

currently i am back to looking for another compact car, that being said i REFUSE to buy some hohum gas saver that cant get out of the way of its own exhaust. the EP3 Si is looking like my best option in the way of price+fun+reliability. what other cars do you all feel are in the same price/fun bracket? i thought about the acura RSX-s but it is simply to expencive for me. and the "rareness" of the EP3 reminds me of my se-r's.

also. i have heard many people say "the ep3 si is so freakin slow" blah blah. my issue with listening to others is the fact that i have never much been into speed as much as i was into handling and good brakeing. i had your average I/H/E on my se-r with much more $$$ in the other parts of the car and i was always very happy with it. do you feel the ep3 is slow?

ep3er
04-28-2008, 04:34 PM
Welcome to the hatch man!

Rep
04-28-2008, 04:38 PM
also. i have heard many people say "the ep3 si is so freakin slow" blah blah. my issue with listening to others is the fact that i have never much been into speed as much as i was into handling and good brakeing. i had your average I/H/E on my se-r with much more $$$ in the other parts of the car and i was always very happy with it. do you feel the ep3 is slow?
They don't handle great stock. The steering is VERY numb because it's electric assist. It always felt like understeer, even if it wasn't, because of that terrible electric assist. The brakes are some of the worst I've experienced on a more modern "sporty" compact car.

On the good side, the interior is nice, lots of hatch room, reasonable power for scooting around town, transmission is nice.

v1c10us
04-28-2008, 04:48 PM
well, this is going to be an example of how different all of our views on the same car are going to be
I find the steering to be just fine, even if it is electric.
The brakes are just as good as any other car in its class IMO, some better tires than stock would surely make a world of difference.
The car as a good amount of oversteer for stock, it handles quite nicely stock in my opinion as well compared to other cars in its class.
Sure it is slow, but your concept of fast/quick will depend on what you were driving before. an se-r with i/h/e is slower than our car stock without a doubt.
especially if you had a later model with a SR20De instead of the SR20DE, the aforementioned lost 18 horsepower inorder to become LEV
The braking on the se-r would be worse than ours as well, atleast stock vs. stock
stock vs. stock the Si outhandles the se-r as well.

Keep in mind I'm basing the braking and handling on the 200sx not the sentra, because i've never driven a b14 sentra, only a 200sx
although the car is exactly the same.

also, i love my si. I love the way it handles, the way it looks, the way it rides, the interior, the motor, the easy swaps you can do, and especially the community on here.
Get the car, its worth it.

classicaddict
04-28-2008, 04:48 PM
im sure that with some better tires and a rear sway bar the car would liven up a bit. however suspension mods any more extreme than that would not happen because i need stock reliability and ride quality.

the braking issue is likely just some crappy OEM pad compound. im sure things would change 100% with some axis ultimate pads and a brake fluid flush with DOT4. i did just this including stainless lines on my se-r's and the brakes felt better than the brand new cars i drive around all day at the dealership.

the electric steering is interesting........i did not know about that. i will have to test drive one to form my own opinion, but seeing as how i like manual over hydraulic steering i can not imagine i will like electric over hydraulic.

how do base model RSX's compair to EP3 si's?

civickaida2004
04-28-2008, 04:49 PM
i loved my hatch. I went up from a DSM.

if you put a LSD and Koni Sport suspension package on there then you have an awesome autoxr. But once the modding bug hits it's hard to stop.

For me the Koni Package was the one I wanted becauseI wanted an autox car, and I loved the way the Koni pack felt on my DSM.

I didnt do the LSD cause I didnt want to log the man hours at the time.

But the suspension , intake, and exhaust were enough for me. Was going to get a set of wheels but had to sell the EP because of my situation at the time .

But I plan on getting another one if that helps with your buying decision.

If you go to NJ and you fi nd one with a scratch on the drivers side rear panel and a ding in the bumper as well as a cracked foglight (done by the third owner of the car) then it was my baby.

v1c10us
04-28-2008, 04:54 PM
im sure that with some better tires and a rear sway bar the car would liven up a bit. however suspension mods any more extreme than that would not happen because i need stock reliability and ride quality.

the braking issue is likely just some crappy OEM pad compound. im sure things would change 100% with some axis ultimate pads and a brake fluid flush with DOT4. i did just this including stainless lines on my se-r's and the brakes felt better than the brand new cars i drive around all day at the dealership.

the electric steering is interesting........i did not know about that. i will have to test drive one to form my own opinion, but seeing as how i like manual over hydraulic steering i can not imagine i will like electric over hydraulic.

i think the ep handles better than the rsx, they have the same motor although it has hydraulic steering not electric.
The electric steering has a tendency to stiffen up the harder you turn, its only gentle when you're trying to parallel park.
Rear sway bars do wonders to this car, its a whole new beast after that.
I've got hawk HPS pads, Stainless steel lines, endless brake fluid and brembo blank rotors up front and slotted rotors in the back and my brakes are amazing, great pedal feel and they bite real good. So you can definitely make the brakes better fairly easy. I've never heard of anyone using the pads you mentioned on an EP, but they might be good.

Rep
04-28-2008, 04:59 PM
well, this is going to be an example of how different all of our views on the same car are going to be
The brakes are just as good as any other car in its class IMO, some better tires than stock would surely make a world of difference.
The car as a good amount of oversteer for stock, it handles quite nicely stock in my opinion as well compared to other cars in its class.
Sure it is slow, but your concept of fast/quick will depend on what you were driving before. an se-r with i/h/e is slower than our car stock without a doubt.
especially if you had a later model with a SR20De instead of the SR20DE, the aforementioned lost 18 horsepower inorder to become LEV
The braking on the se-r would be worse than ours as well, atleast stock vs. stock

Keep in mind I'm basing the braking and handling on the 200sx not the sentra, because i've never driven a b14 sentra, only a 200sx

also, i love my si. I love the way it handles, the way it looks, the way it rides, the interior, the motor, the easy swaps you can do, and especially the community on here.
Get the car, its worth it.
No, no, no, no no...

A B13 SER does pretty much anything performance related BETTER than an EP stock for stock.

No, the brakes are NOT as good as others in its class. They're mushy and fade fast. Even my Protege5 wagon was a braking MONSTER compared to the EP, it was the first thing I noticed when I drove my new 05 EP off the lot.

It's not a concept of slow or fast, the SI is rather hum ho compared to its peers. This isn't a "shit on EP's" thread, I just don't want to mislead someone simply because I feel the need to justify EP ownership. The EP trades off alot of performance for other perks such as a smoother powerband, good gas mileage, smooth ride and low maintenance. The EP is a great commuter with a little zip, but it's not in the same strata as the B13 SER's.

classicaddict
04-28-2008, 05:00 PM

stock vs. stock you are 100% correct in your compairsons. i RARELY raced my se-r's however i did race an ep3 si once and i remember toying with him in 2nd and 3rd gear then pulling rather hard on the civic. please under stand i am not in anyway trying to start a "forum troll" type thread simply stateing what i remember.

also i owned a b13 se-r, the very very first generation. they were also the lightest and best handling gen because of the independent suspension at all 4 corners.

another bit of info "SR20DE and SR20De" would be the same engine save a lower case letter.
there were a few variations of none turbo sr20's
91-93 were high port engine's <my personal fav.
94-99 were low port
2000-2002 were roller rockers
then there were JDM sr20VE's these were very very similar to honda Vtech.
euro high compression blah blah.

enough nissan talk. i have read the k20a? (do i have this right) does not have the traditional honda vtech system. i learned it simply plays with the intake lobes correct? how good is that setup compaired to honda's tried and true lobe switching system?

It's not a concept of slow or fast, the SI is rather hum ho compared to its peers. This isn't a "shit on EP's" thread, I just don't want to mislead someone simply because I feel the need to justify EP ownership. The EP trades off alot of performance for other perks such as a smoother powerband, good gas mileage, smooth ride and low maintenance. The EP is a great commuter with a little zip, but it's not in the same strata as the B13 SER's.
OUTSTANDING INFO! this is exactly what i am looking for. i need good gas mileage, interior space and relativly upscale interior design. i need comfort and reliability with the ability to get out of its own way when need be..........or to stomp the gas pedal to simply put a small smile on my face when need be.

i do not race, i never have. my cars were bought and built by me for me....no one else. with that said i feel my need in a car has shifted from performance over comfort. to comfort over performance and i feel i may be headed in the right direction.

also, thank you for your knowledge of the classic se-r ;)

v1c10us
04-28-2008, 05:04 PM
No, no, no, no no...

A B13 SER does pretty much anything performance related BETTER than an EP stock for stock.

No, the brakes are NOT as good as others in its class. They're mushy and fade fast. Even my Protege5 wagon was a braking MONSTER compared to the EP, it was the first thing I noticed when I drove my new 05 EP off the lot.

he said b13?
i thought he said b14.. and if you seriously just said that other stuff your on crack..

maybe class was the wrong word, but compare cars of the same price range, same motor size/type and same year and you'll be hard pressed to find ones that are faster or handle better.
I'd hardly call the brakes mushy, they dont have great pedal feel stock but the brakes are good, i've never had experience with the oem pads so i dont know how much fade they really are, but i'd hardly call them mushy, you just gotta push them a bit harder, but they definitely do their job.

v1c10us
04-28-2008, 05:09 PM
stock vs. stock you are 100% correct in your compairsons. i RARELY raced my se-r's however i did race an ep3 si once and i remember toying with him in 2nd and 3rd gear then pulling rather hard on the civic. please under stand i am not in anyway trying to start a "forum troll" type thread simply stateing what i remember.

also i owned a b13 se-r, the very very first generation. they were also the lightest and best handling gen because of the independent suspension at all 4 corners.

another bit of info "SR20DE and SR20De" would be the same engine save a lower case letter.
there were a few variations of none turbo sr20's
91-93 were high port engine's <my personal fav.
94-99 were low port
2000-2002 were roller rockers
then there were JDM sr20VE's these were very very similar to honda Vtech.
euro high compression blah blah.

enough nissan talk. i have read the k20a? (do i have this right) does not have the traditional honda vtech system. i learned it simply plays with the intake lobes correct? how good is that setup compaired to honda's tried and true lobe switching system?

the k20a3 does not have the vtec thing you're talking about
its a far cry from it, i wouldnt say our cars have vtec.
I thought you said b14 so my comparison is kind of void as i was comparing the 95-99 200sx.
the SR20De was the low emissions vehicle motor, it had 132 horsepower.
the capital E stood for Electronic Fuel Injection and it had 140 horsepower assuming your not talking about the S14 and S15's sr20de and then they used VTC to make 163 hp.

Rep
04-28-2008, 05:12 PM
he said b13?
i thought he said b14.. and if you seriously just said that other stuff your on crack..

maybe class was the wrong word, but compare cars of the same price range, same motor size/type and same year and you'll be hard pressed to find ones that are faster or handle better.
I'd hardly call the brakes mushy, they dont have great pedal feel stock but the brakes are good, i've never had experience with the oem pads so i dont know how much fade they really are, but i'd hardly call them mushy, you just gotta push them a bit harder, but they definitely do their job.
I've gone through this a millions times. There were so many articles about the EP's contemporaries from 02-05, I've even gone out and driven the majority of them as well, it's just futile for me to post. I'll just continue to be positive so here's some more good stuff.

There are tons of cup holders; so many in fact, there aren't even enough seats to match them! There's a neat compartment in the center console, it's good for hiding pot. The interior was pretty for its age, it got 30+ mpg, it only grinded 2nd to 3rd SOMETIMES. The tach was so innaccurate, it made you feel like a champ when it would fuel cut at 7,400 RPM. Easy to wax due to its shape, tough floormats, good headlights on the 04-05's, tall ride height made harsh pavement my bitch. People tended to leave me alone due to the hum-ho styling, low theft target, didn't need to lock the doors, oil changes were easy with the filter off to the side, cool stock muffler.

classicaddict
04-28-2008, 05:13 PM
I'd hardly call the brakes mushy, you just gotta push them a bit harder, but they definitely do their job.

not to bust your bubble but this is the definition of mushy brake pedal. however that does not concern me because fixing a mushy pedal is pretty easy. much easier than trying to produce more power out of an under powered car like much of the other compact cars in the same price range are.

Rep
04-28-2008, 05:16 PM
not to bust your bubble but this is the definition of mushy brake pedal. however that does not concern me because fixing a mushy pedal is pretty easy. much easier than trying to produce more power out of an under powered car like much of the other compact cars in the same price range are.
Fixing the brakes would be replacing the hubs with the RSX-S ones. Alot of work for something you're already paying a premium for over the average shit box.

classicaddict
04-28-2008, 05:16 PM
the k20a3 does not have the vtec thing you're talking about
its a far cry from it, i wouldnt say our cars have vtec.
I thought you said b14 so my comparison is kind of void as i was comparing the 95-99 200sx.
the capital E stood for Electronic Fuel Injection and it had 140 horsepower assuming your not talking about the S14 and S15's sr20de and then they used VTC to make 163 hp.

still not sure what you are reffering to with the "SR20De"...........however if this engine did infact exist i assure you it never made its way here to the states.

I've gone through this a millions times. There were so many articles about the EP's contemporaries from 02-05, I've even gone out and driven the majority of them as well, it's just futile for me to post. I'll just continue to be positive so here's some more good stuff.

There are tons of cup holders; so many in fact, there aren't even enough seats to match them! There's a neat compartment in the center console, it's good for hiding pot. The interior was pretty for its age, it got 30+ mpg, it only grinded 2nd to 3rd SOMETIMES. The tach was so innaccurate, it made you feel like a champ when it would fuel cut at 7,400 RPM. Easy to wax due to its shape, tough floormats, good headlights on the 04-05's, tall ride height made harsh pavement my bitch. People tended to leave me alone due to the hum-ho styling, low theft target, didn't need to lock the doors, oil changes were easy with the filter off to the side, cool stock muffler.

i appreciate your honesty and i love sarcasm, so keep it coming ;)

v1c10us
04-28-2008, 05:17 PM
I'll just sum up my view on whats important in the stock ep3.

160 crank HP at 6500 rpm
132 lb/ft at 5000
rear wishbone suspension
close ratio gear box
3.06:1
1.77:1
1.21:1
0.92:1
0.74:1
4.76:1 final drive.
sadly, 2 lobe vtec, which means no 5500 rpm crossover, no special exhaust lobes, no screaming motor.
2700 lbs
no limited slip
reliable
handles nice
good gas mileage.
easy to mod
nice looking car.
electirc power steering(in my opinion its good, i prefer it over hydraulic)
0-60 7.5
First gear ends at about 30, second ends at 55, and third ends at 82 mph, which is sorta lame becaue my accord would do 40 in first, 62 in second, and 90 in 3rd.

the De ONLY exsisted in the united states and it was nissans detune of the motor enorder to meet LEV classification.
But it was in the b14 not the b13, as i said, i misunderstood you and was speaking of the 95-99 b14.

to replica- Im not doubting you in that there are better cars, just simply that for the price of this car when it was new, you couldnt get many things better as far as power and still get the same gas mileage in the same size motor, although im sure there were a few, but nearly everything was more expensive.

Rep
04-28-2008, 05:18 PM
That was alot of pointless information there...

v1c10us
04-28-2008, 05:25 PM
That was alot of pointless information there...

haha good to know you're still a dick.
But way to go anyway; i said that it was what I thought was important about the car.
im done with this thread. get whatever car you want, ford focus's are really fun cars to drive, I've heard the mazda 3 is fast as fuck, oh and in 2002 there were tons of cars for the same price that were faster than the ep3.
Sorry i posted abunch of pointless information about what makes the ep3 an ep3 and not just any other car.

Rep
04-28-2008, 05:50 PM
im done with this thread.
Thank god.

kprocivic
04-28-2008, 05:56 PM
Thank god.

:pop2:

i dont have any real input except to say that i think the brakes are mushy.

and i think my ep has a harsh ride...

and i think cabin noise is kinda loud...

and that the lack of torque sucks...

but it does what i need it to do, without fuss.

it's a car you want just because.

:juggle:

NitroBoarder
04-28-2008, 07:28 PM
^I can agree with that. I can't say my car shines in any department (although it's stock). and my cabin noise is a minimal (much better since I got a stock intake on there). but wanting the car just because, oh yea. I think it's a love for the hatch, but I couldv'e bought a rsx-s, but I came to the decision that the hatch is enough for me, and the extra cost of the rsx-s outweighed the plus sides of getting the rsx.

although I haven't touched the stock brake system, I remember the day I installed SS brake lines on my old prelude, and holly hell. I've said it plenty of times on other boards, so I'll say it here. The best upgrade, hands down to a braking system, are the brake lines.

Coming from a 91-94 genre, you'll love a lot about this car. interior is nice, seats get an A+ from me, getting around parking lots and tight areas is a breeze, as well as parallel parking. I would get a couple of test drives with different EP3's. So you can really get a feel for the power steering, and make a good decision whether or not you can make the change or not. I had a 3rd gen prelude before this car(135bhp 127lb/ft) so I'm totally satisfied with the power the EP3 has, and the powerband is much better then my 3GP.

skooba
04-29-2008, 06:23 AM
My interior started to rattle a little bit after 3 years of ownership (purchased it new). The clutch pedal would squeek and drive me insane. After lowering it on progress springs, the ride quality went to hell, although it made it look nicer on the outside.

The car was pretty fun to drive, but the power is really lacking. It's very easy to grind while shifting into 2nd near redline. The steering rack squeeks as well. These were the things that eventually led to me selling the car. If you're going to pick one up, go with the 04-05 model. The 02-03 seemed to have the squeeky clutch/steering rack more so than the 04-05. The 04-05s have sideskirts and 16" wheels stock, they were 5 lug also, as opposed to 4 lug on the 02-03.

Personally, the only EP I would consider picking up would be a 100% stock one that has never been modified. Too much risk involved in dealing with someone elses problems that they created.

I do miss the EP from time to time, mainly the looks and having a hatch. But I'm fine w/ my current car (06' si) even though it also has it's issues. Just keep reading up on the forums to form your own opinion, and take one for a long test drive through various types of roads.

Danman281
04-29-2008, 04:04 PM
Its not that great of a car performance wise... you love it because its... fun to drive. not many have dash shifters, eps, lots of room, nice seats, and an engine thats easy to modify.

lots of problems when I first got it. rattling, window, sometimes won't go in reverse (about 5 percent of the time), some more. but nothing serious... but its the small stuff that adds up.

you're going to have problems regardless of what car you have. its the draw of luck but you gotta pick smart. 04-05 have improvments and I would stick with that. don't get overly modified one unless you trust the guy or really test drive it. just read more about the car and welcome to the site

kingphoenix07
04-29-2008, 06:08 PM
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x72/kingphoenix07/imnotreadingthat.jpg

...[/jk]...The EP is a great little hatch. A little over rated in the price and the insurance bracket, but with minor suspension, brakes, engine, and engine mgmnt upgrades..it can be a fun little DD and maybe fare decent as a weekend track car. I guess what I am really getting at is that it has a lot of potential.

NitroBoarder
04-29-2008, 07:27 PM
...[/jk]...The EP is a great little hatch. A little over rated in the price and the insurance bracket, but with minor suspension, brakes, engine, and engine mgmnt upgrades..it can be a fun little DD and maybe fare decent as a weekend track car. I guess what I am really getting at is that it has a lot of potential.

a little? I would say more then a little. especially with insurance. I pay $173 a month, I can't compare it to any of my other cars since none of them had full coverage, but it seems high. it is a little overpriced, but that's what talking down a dealership is for. they wanted $13,500 for mine, my mom and I got em down to $11k! I was also looking at GTi's (love the HB's) but they have like 4-5 recalls, one of which was...get this "the seat warmer gets too hot and burns a hole in the fabric of the seat!"

SiN05
04-29-2008, 07:42 PM
drive one a see if you like it. Thats one of the reasons i bought mine i fell in love with it as soon as i drove it. Plus its a honda so anything u don't like on it there usually is an oem or aftermarket part to improve it. as for reliablitly i only put 3 sets of tires on i jsut got my third not that long ago, brakes all around and change the oil. The ride is a little stiff and the seats don;t offer much lower back support 2-3+ hours in the car its gets painful. other than that i don;t have too many complains other than the 2nd gear grinding

kinglarry
04-30-2008, 07:37 PM
for the price of this car when it was new, you couldnt get many things better as far as power and still get the same gas mileage in the same size motor, although im sure there were a few, but nearly everything was more expensive.

QFT

llaprad1
07-15-2008, 09:47 AM
...I thought you said b14 so my comparison is kind of void as i was comparing the 95-99 200sx.

In the US there are 3 SR20DEs, 91-94, 95-99 and post 2000. (In the NX, G20, Sentra SE-R, post-98 Sentra SE, and the 200SX SE-R) They made 140hp and 145hp. I'm not sure where you're getting your info from, but its not totally accurate to the US market.

The SR20De is about as rare an unused as an SR18DE in the US. Nobody here runs those.

Back on topic, I think going from a B13 SE-R to the ep3 will feel fairly natural. That's my plan so far. I've just got to sell the LGT and the VE SE-R first. :mfrown: I think I'll just miss the power:weight ratio.

na14yu
07-15-2008, 11:43 AM
The EP is a fine car, better than what many people will tell you.

The factory brakes, steering and suspension are all excellent for a $20k car (new). They could stand some light upgrades if you're into that sort of thing, but if you're just looking for a fun daily driver I don't see the need to do anything to the car really.

As far as power, economy, fake VTEC, and EP being slow goes....don't get me started. I always rant on this stuff and here's a copy & paste of my spiel:

I'm sorry to come off as such a jerk, but that is just a load of crap and that crap gets repeated on the internet each and every day.

The KA24DE engine used in the S13 and S14 (Nissan 240SX) engine had a displacement of 2.4L and it made 160 HP and required premium gas. According to the EPA's site (FuelEconomy.gov) that engine gets 19 mpg city, 26 mpg freeway.

Our engine displaces 2.0L, makes the same 160 HP, but our K20A3 engine uses regular 87 octane gas, it gets better fuel economy, and plus our car is much safer (more airbags and impact protection) and is more modern than an S13 or S14 chassis.

The beloved B16 engine in the 99-00 Civic Si displaces 1.6L and makes 160 hp, but it does so with far less torque than our A3 engine. We get about the same mpg, but the B16 requires premium.

Our A3 engine puts down 160 hp @ 6500 rpm and 132 ft-lbs of torque at 5,000 rpm. Compared that with the B16 in the 99-00 EM Civic Si which puts down 160 hp @ 7600 rpm and 111 ft-lbs of torque at 7000 rpm. So if you want to make the same amount of power, you have to drive it like you stole it while you're burning premium gas.

Go right ahead. I'll keep my fake VTEC.

And before anyone says I'm hating, I'm not. I use to own an S14 as well as a '00 Si. They are great cars, but I'm just trying to set the facts straight.

!@#$%
07-15-2008, 12:03 PM
I've had my ep since october of 2002. I've driven the thing almost every day since then and have just recently had maintenance issues catch up with me. (Cat finally going out, belts, fluids, etc) Owning a car for 6 years and doing nothing but tires, oil, and gas is a rare thing to come by these days- especially for one as affordable as the ep.

I have zero regrets buying this car.

llaprad1
07-15-2008, 02:51 PM
Yeah its kind of a bummer so many desireable cars require high octane nowadays.

The Honda reliability thing is was keeps leading me back. My wife has an Element, and everything so far is just heads and shoulders a more pleasant experience than our old turbo Outback.

HappiChild
07-15-2008, 03:11 PM
I used to have an s14 and s13.

The fun factor of rwd is unbeatable. but ep3 gave me more room to carry my stuffs.

fatdong
07-16-2008, 03:55 AM
everyone loves the EP, but 6 years was enough for me, so i want to get rid of mine. if you're just now getting into the EP and you have a good condition one, just take good care of it and itll treat you right better then any girl could.

mattism78
07-16-2008, 05:55 AM
The EP is a fine car, better than what many people will tell you.

The factory brakes, steering and suspension are all excellent for a $20k car (new). They could stand some light upgrades if you're into that sort of thing, but if you're just looking for a fun daily driver I don't see the need to do anything to the car really.

As far as power, economy, fake VTEC, and EP being slow goes....don't get me started. I always rant on this stuff and here's a copy & paste of my spiel:

I'm sorry to come off as such a jerk, but that is just a load of crap and that crap gets repeated on the internet each and every day.

The KA24DE engine used in the S13 and S14 (Nissan 240SX) engine had a displacement of 2.4L and it made 160 HP and required premium gas. According to the EPA's site (FuelEconomy.gov) that engine gets 19 mpg city, 26 mpg freeway.

Our engine displaces 2.0L, makes the same 160 HP, but our K20A3 engine uses regular 87 octane gas, it gets better fuel economy, and plus our car is much safer (more airbags and impact protection) and is more modern than an S13 or S14 chassis.

The beloved B16 engine in the 99-00 Civic Si displaces 1.6L and makes 160 hp, but it does so with far less torque than our A3 engine. We get about the same mpg, but the B16 requires premium.

Our A3 engine puts down 160 hp @ 6500 rpm and 132 ft-lbs of torque at 5,000 rpm. Compared that with the B16 in the 99-00 EM Civic Si which puts down 160 hp @ 7600 rpm and 111 ft-lbs of torque at 7000 rpm. So if you want to make the same amount of power, you have to drive it like you stole it while you're burning premium gas.

Go right ahead. I'll keep my fake VTEC.

And before anyone says I'm hating, I'm not. I use to own an S14 as well as a '00 Si. They are great cars, but I'm just trying to set the facts straight.

Well put. I personally will be going from a 350+HP LS1 to an EP, and I can't wait. I want something compact, and fun to drive. Sure the LS1 is great when you feel like doing 170mph, but in DD situations it lacks. Plus I can't throw my stuff, and my dogs in and go wherever I want. The EP should solve that while still retaining some sporty-ness and a bit of power.

I DD a Toyota Matrix with 500+lbs of locksmithing equipment and I almost enjoy it more than my LS1. It's small, and more fun to drive. That plus I'm getting roughly 30mpg in the matrix vs who knows what in the LS1.

shusi
07-16-2008, 06:21 AM
ep is slow but you see it less on the streets. plus its a good looking car.

DO IT! :clap2:

frm_808
07-25-2008, 12:52 AM
used to live in az an new some guys with fast se-r's some turbod also and would keep up with my s14...hehe

j0000stin
07-25-2008, 03:57 AM
ok. over the past 5 years or so i have owned a few b13 se-r's (91-94) i loved them and still do.........cant beat the price tag of one of them and the TQ the sr20 can produce to knock you back into your seat. however the time has come for reliability and comfort (things a 14 year old car simply can not provide)

at first i had my mind set on owning a tacoma......gas prices went way to high much to fast to allow that. then i figured on a mid sized sedan like an a4 or a TL. again with gas prices going even higher.

currently i am back to looking for another compact car, that being said i REFUSE to buy some hohum gas saver that cant get out of the way of its own exhaust. the EP3 Si is looking like my best option in the way of price+fun+reliability. what other cars do you all feel are in the same price/fun bracket? i thought about the acura RSX-s but it is simply to expencive for me. and the "rareness" of the EP3 reminds me of my se-r's.

funny thing im a nissan owner turned honda owner my entire family dirves nissans and so i bought a brand new 07 base sentra cash but thought man this shit is slow as hell and the only thing good about it is the mpg...then i thought to myself i want a darastic change in my life...went on craigslist same day found a ep in san jose drove down the next day and traded that sucker in and i gotta say it was exact change i was looking for and more!!!

frm_808
07-25-2008, 12:39 PM
nice pick up man..never did like those newer sentras