PDA

View Full Version : k24a1 head

the JigGa mAn
04-28-2008, 11:16 PM
i found a k24a1 head for pretty cheap and had a couple of questions, my supporting mods are: kpro, hondata airbox mod, esmm and dcrh (type s) and and im looking for a type s midpipe..

questions:
seller says "K24A1 head 27358 miles includes everything that usually comes on a head"
what should that include?

would this be a worthy mod for what ive got NOW? and in the future i want to do a k24 swap and i know i would only have to source a block

and what would be a "good" "fair" price for this?

EDIT: i dont have money for BC cams and valve train upgrade at the moment but i will in the future. so would i benefit from putting the k24a1 head on my car as it sits?

the JigGa mAn
04-28-2008, 11:28 PM
damn sorry can i a mod please move this to the swaps section?? i posted this here on accident in all the fuss of this cheap head

its a ivtec
04-28-2008, 11:28 PM
i found a k24a1 head for pretty cheap and had a couple of questions, my supporting mods are: kpro, hondata airbox mod, esmm and dcrh (type s) and and im looking for a type s midpipe..

questions:
seller says "K24A1 head 27358 miles includes everything that usually comes on a head"
what should that include?

would this be a worthy mod for what ive got NOW? and in the future i want to do a k24 swap and i know i would only have to source a block

and what would be a "good" "fair" price for this?

EDIT: i dont have money for BC cams and valve train upgrade at the moment but i will in the future. so would i benefit from putting the k24a1 head on my car as it sits?

the k24a1 head flows better then our k20a3 head..match that with a decent affordable set of cams (bc,sk2) and a good tune and ull be pretty happy..

now as far as wat it should come with..if seller saying its complete , this would mean cams ,cam gears,valvetrain,valve cover,(intake mani,possible tb,sensors...u can get away with using the intake mani and tb from the a3)..feel free to add in if I'm missing anything..I'd say these heads go for around $400 bucks give or take a few dollars..all in all, since uve got sum decent supporting mods including kpro, I'd say go for it and get it tuned..eventually jus upgrade valvetrain and ur set..I believe sumone is running a a1 head on a3 block with sum mods..search around there are vids of the car tooo

the JigGa mAn
04-28-2008, 11:46 PM
ok cool, i just pmed the guy asking what exactly comes with the head

hopefully it comes with everything needed :) i cannot wait...this went from a being a simple bc n+ coilover install to a bc n+, dcrh, and now maybe a new head :)

the JigGa mAn
04-29-2008, 12:22 AM
is there a DIY for a head swap?

bchaney
04-29-2008, 06:38 AM
Yes, you will benefit from a head swap in your car as it sits.

But, be aware this head still has the 2 lobe vtec like the a3 and if you get a k24 block in the future you'll prob want an a2 or z3 head.

MugenReplica
04-29-2008, 06:52 AM
As long as it comes with the full valvetrain (including valves, rocker arms, and bolts), cams, cam gears and none of the rocker pins(correct me if the name is different) are missing.

I bought three before the swap was ever an option because I saw the difference in the intake ports vs. our K20a3 head. Then I sold all three and bought a K20z1 head. Here is my experience with them......

1. Make sure that they shipt it in a VERY strong cardboard box. The first head I bought actually broke the box open and some items were bent during shipping. I had no insurance so I was stuck with an imperfect head (nothing critical but it was annoying to me). I gave that head away.

2. Make sure he includes ALL bolts and any applicable sensors that should drive the price to $250+. The second head I bought was missing some bolts and the cam gears. No biggie really just annoying that the guy didn't tell me ahead of time. If you are paying for an almost bare K24a1 head, then I wouldn't offer the guy anywhere over $230 shipped. Bare means that it has no sensors and is missing a few parts (cam gears, other bolts, rocker pins, or something else). Most anything that is missing from the K24a1 head can be thrown back on from your K20a3 head. All the parts excluding the head itself should be interchangable.

3. Make sure everything is bolted back together before he ships it. Again this was the first head. He only slightly put the bolts in. When it was shipped the valvetrain few around, rocker pins went everywhere and I was left with the rebuild. Annoying......

4. Bolting on the K24a1 head is identical to the opposite of removing the K20a3 head. Download the Helms PDF so you can do it yourself with the proper tools. Otherwise take it to a mechanic and pay him to do it.:mbiggrin:

*Helms PDFs can be found here.......http://www.hondahookup.com/manuals/

the JigGa mAn
04-29-2008, 03:38 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/jigg4/IMG_0001-2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/jigg4/IMG_0002-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/jigg4/IMG_0003-2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/jigg4/IMG_0004-2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/jigg4/IMG_0005-3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/jigg4/IMG_0006-2.jpg

head has 27xxx miles on it, seller bought k24a1 motor as a whole and used his existing a2 head with the block
EDIT: asking price is $150 picked up..good or bad??

EP3Casas
04-29-2008, 03:50 PM
looks good to me!
from wat ive heard tho u might want to up the compression to get peak hp and responsiveness..

Can some1 correct me if im wrong?

MugenReplica
04-29-2008, 05:20 PM
Great price. You won't find a better price for a head in that condition. Any pics of the bottom half of the engine? It won't matter too much since the head has such low mileage though.

*Buy it while you can for that price. It should sell fast.

the JigGa mAn
04-29-2008, 06:51 PM
Great price. You won't find a better price for a head in that condition. Any pics of the bottom half of the engine? It won't matter too much since the head has such low mileage though.

*Buy it while you can for that price. It should sell fast.

no, no pics of the bottom....and im going to pick it up thursday or friday

the JigGa mAn
04-29-2008, 10:25 PM
is there a diy around for this?

also i was reading that ill need a new k20a3 headgasket and a k24a1 exhaust gasket, what are the part numbers for this?

Guardian
04-30-2008, 12:30 AM

also i was reading that ill need a new k20a3 headgasket and a k24a1 exhaust gasket, what are the part numbers for this?

no you just need one head gasket, the one for your block

edit: good price i sold mine for 250 and that was good

2nd edit: i wouldnt buy it without seeing the bottom of the head

Guardian
04-30-2008, 12:32 AM

use a service manual

the JigGa mAn
04-30-2008, 06:18 AM
no you just need one head gasket, the one for your block

edit: good price i sold mine for 250 and that was good

2nd edit: i wouldnt buy it without seeing the bottom of the head
i dont have time to take pics and post them of the bottom of the head, so when i go to buy it what am i looking for?

use a service manual

i have the ep3 one, do i need the crv one too?

davisj3537
04-30-2008, 06:18 AM
A normal price is around 250-300 so I would jump on that deal. The head looks to be in great condition too.

Euroyellowep3
04-30-2008, 07:00 AM
I bought two, one for 120, and one or 200.

Both came with cams, one is for me to port and one is just to slap on.

I am combining mine with k20a2 cams/rockers and s2k valve springs

the JigGa mAn
04-30-2008, 08:41 AM
I bought two, one for 120, and one or 200.

Both came with cams, one is for me to port and one is just to slap on.

I am combining mine with k20a2 cams/rockers and s2k valve springs

i thought that these heads are like our stock a3 heads..and youd have to do stuff to make the 3 lobe vtec cams work...maybe im talking out of my ass, idk..someone chime in

Guardian
04-30-2008, 11:13 AM
i dont have time to take pics and post them of the bottom of the head, so when i go to buy it what am i looking for?

i have the ep3 one, do i need the crv one too?

just look for damage, i thought you were buying it online and those were the pics you had.

no the ep one is fine

davisj3537
04-30-2008, 11:17 AM
i thought that these heads are like our stock a3 heads..and youd have to do stuff to make the 3 lobe vtec cams work...maybe im talking out of my ass, idk..someone chime in

You are right sir

davisj3537
04-30-2008, 11:18 AM
I can't find those damn part numbers BTW. If you get them let me know what they are.

Euroyellowep3
04-30-2008, 11:19 AM

I think that the only thing needed to make the 3 lobe vtec work on our heads are the rockers, we already have vtec engagement on our 2 lobe heads, we just dont have the appropriate rockers when using 3 lobe vtec cams. It should work great. My advice, buy a k24A1 head, with k20a2 cams and rockers so for like 450 you can have something that perform like a 900 dollar head.

this is nothing like the "ls-vtec" where you have to supply oil to the vtec solenoid (all k series engines have one).

Now I dont know if the vtec solenoids are different, that im unsure about. Im going to go check on that.

Euroyellowep3
04-30-2008, 11:31 AM
You are right sir

hows that? :mredface:

hint: tell us moar!!!

the JigGa mAn
04-30-2008, 11:40 AM
I think that the only thing needed to make the 3 lobe vtec work on our heads are the rockers, we already have vtec engagement on our 2 lobe heads, we just dont have the appropriate rockers when using 3 lobe vtec cams. It should work great. My advice, buy a k24A1 head, with k20a2 cams and rockers so for like 450 you can have something that perform like a 900 dollar head.

this is nothing like the "ls-vtec" where you have to supply oil to the vtec solenoid (all k series engines have one).

Now I dont know if the vtec solenoids are different, that im unsure about. Im going to go check on that.

can anyone confirm this? if so finding a set or 05-06 tsx cams and rockers would be worth the extra $$ to put on this already cheap head

kprocivic
04-30-2008, 12:17 PM
i wouldnt fuccs with converting a 2 lober to a 3 lober.

davisj3537
04-30-2008, 12:53 PM
I rememeber seeing a thread of how to make the cams work in the a3 head. If I remember correctly it somehow makes the cams stay in vtec the entire time or something like that? I don't remember exactly, but I don't reccomend it to be honest. I wish the thread was still available but godaddy.com sucks such large hairy mastodon balls that the thread is somehow unavailable now....:moony:

Doug save me I'm drowning...

mustclime
04-30-2008, 01:03 PM

:nono:totaly wrong....sorry, the castings are completely different, the vtec actcuators(sp) come out of the head in a different place...it will not work.....you want more cam, just get some sk2 or bc cams for the intake vtec heads.

thechromecoyote
04-30-2008, 01:11 PM
The original thread was from Honda-tech.com

What you have to do is source the cams, pins and rocker arm assemblies from a 3 lobe v-tec head. You loose the lost motion springs bc the 2 lobe head was not cast for them. You can have some drilled, but at that point you might as well have bought a 3 lobe vtec head :mwink:

You swap the position of the rocker pins so that you lock the middle rocker to one of the valve rockers which will force the engine to ride the vtec lobe on every other valve. When vtec engages, all three arms lock together as they would in a 3 lobe system and you ride the vtec lobe on all valves.

thechromecoyote
04-30-2008, 01:20 PM
Posted with respect to k20a.org and jeremyinlinepro

http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=10907&page=1

Here is the how I got the K20a2 cams to work on the K20a3 head. You need the K20a2 cams (or type-r, tsx, crower...), K20a2 rockers and pins, and k20a2 rocker shafts. The pins in this picture are how they come in the A2 head
http://img463.imageshack.us/img463/4382/k20a3rockers12cr.jpg
You have to switch the pins in the left and middle rocker like this picture
http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/5859/k20a3rockers21tm.jpg
This locks the left and middle rocker together so that the middle rocker will not bounce around due to the cylinder head not having the lost motion spring.
http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/3283/k20a3rockers36fm.jpg

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/9284/k20a3rockers43wf.jpg

http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/9751/k20a3rockers56qa.jpg
This makes the left valve always ride on the vtec lobe and the right valve rides on the non-vtec lobe. When vtec is engaged by the solenoid it locks all three rockers together the same way the factory does and you have a regular working vtec.

So it can be done, the OP of that forum dyno'd the car at 199 with this mod.

You cant just swap the rocker assembly because the middle rocker arm would just bounce around like crazy without the lost motion springs. You need to lock it down to one of the non floating rocker arms in order to function. Additionally, this is not a stock operation by any means, so you need to get it tuned to even idle properly.

A k24a1 head with this rocker mod and some aggressive cams wouldnt be a bad plan. Ive toyed with the idea myself, especially with a 3 lobe IN cam and 2 lobe EX cam for FI.

ALL MotoR Ep3
04-30-2008, 01:21 PM
you will definitely see improvement in your car since k24 flows better and if you add cams you will see even more improvement in your ep3

the JigGa mAn
04-30-2008, 01:21 PM
I rememeber seeing a thread of how to make the cams work in the a3 head. If I remember correctly it somehow makes the cams stay in vtec the entire time or something like that? I don't remember exactly, but I don't reccomend it to be honest. I wish the thread was still available but godaddy.com sucks such large hairy mastodon balls that the thread is somehow unavailable now....:moony:

Doug save me I'm drowning...

EDIT: i should read all posts before posting, someone already posted it up!

davisj3537
04-30-2008, 01:29 PM
Posted with respect to k20a.org and jeremyinlinepro

Score dude.:mredface:

the JigGa mAn
05-01-2008, 10:08 AM
i picked up the head today cannot wait to put it on!!

Euroyellowep3
05-02-2008, 12:17 PM
:nono:totaly wrong....sorry, the castings are completely different, the vtec actcuators(sp) come out of the head in a different place...it will not work.....you want more cam, just get some sk2 or bc cams for the intake vtec heads.

well I feel like an idiot. good thing that the package isnt together and I have my bro's stg 2 turbo cams i can score off of him.