PDA

View Full Version : HELP: need DIY for lowering spring install

tdman77
04-29-2008, 12:06 AM
I am about to install some lowering spirngs and can't find the old DIY for installing springs. Does anyone have a link or can please repost the thread.
:help:
Thanks

tdman77
04-29-2008, 07:35 PM
Bump. Anyone?

FoReVaPmP
04-29-2008, 07:41 PM
I know how to do the install but unfortunatly after our server got deleted we lost most of our DIYs'....

Have you ever lowered a car before? or is this your first attempt? :mredface:

02Si&07Si
04-29-2008, 07:54 PM
You need pictures?

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?p=535529#post535529

tdman77
04-29-2008, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the info. I have dropped 2 cars before, a 91 Mustang and a 02 WRX. But this is the first car where there are tie rods connected to the front shocks. And I also read something that if you let the suspension arm drop too far the axle shafts can fall out, something like that. Is there some way to prevent that from happening? I am getting the Tein S Tech springs, do I have to get the f/r camber bolts/kit? The other cars I lowered didn't seem to have any camber problems after the drop.

FoReVaPmP
04-29-2008, 09:18 PM
if you don't have a tierod end puller, go get one. Your going to also need new tie rod end boots (trust me, majority of the time "something" always goes wrong, and it's always good to do it. you can also just buy new tierod ends OEM from Honda @majestichonda*com)

Tip: it's always good to tie a string around the wheel hub to somewhere in the engine bay to prevent the axle from falling out.

nighthawksi04
04-29-2008, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the info. I have dropped 2 cars before, a 91 Mustang and a 02 WRX. But this is the first car where there are tie rods connected to the front shocks. And I also read something that if you let the suspension arm drop too far the axle shafts can fall out, something like that. Is there some way to prevent that from happening? I am getting the Tein S Tech springs, do I have to get the f/r camber bolts/kit? The other cars I lowered didn't seem to have any camber problems after the drop.

You will absolutely need a rear camber kit, but you may or may not be able to leave the front as is. You will have some negative camber in the front, but if it's not too much, you can live with it. But the front camber bolts are cheap anyway, so you might as well do it.

As for the axle shafts coming out, I definitely had that problem when I put my springs on. If they do come out, you can pop them back in without too much trouble. You could try jacking up the suspension arm to keep it from popping out. You may or may not have luck doing that.

To disconnect the tie rods from the front struts, if you don't have the proper tool, you can knock them out using a piece of wood or something and then hammering on the wood. Don't hammer directly on the rod ends because you could easily damage them.

tdman77
04-30-2008, 08:42 PM
Great tip to tie the wheel hub up to keep the axles from falling out. Is installing the rear camber kit hard and how do I adjust them? Or is this something that is done when they do the wheel alignment?

Thanks for all the great info.

nighthawksi04
04-30-2008, 09:45 PM
Great tip to tie the wheel hub up to keep the axles from falling out. Is installing the rear camber kit hard and how do I adjust them? Or is this something that is done when they do the wheel alignment?

Thanks for all the great info.

Installing the rear camber kit is really simple. The camber kit just replaces the upper control arm. Just remove three bolts, take out the old arm, put in the new arm, and then replace the bolts. As far as adjusting them, it will be done when you get your alignment done. The new upper arm is variable length. Make it shorter to increase negative camber and longer to decrease it.

trickkykidd.02
05-10-2008, 09:13 PM
I tried not to drop out the axles and I did it on both sides ...arghh. It wasnt too bad.

I couldnt get my rear strut bolt off and it got cut off by a shop.

Definately buy new tie rod boots. Find a hard round plastic object to push them back on as they fit back on tight. I used a plastic ring and then a big set of channel locks to push them back together. First one took over an hour second one took 15 min after I figured out that trick...