PDA

View Full Version : carbon fiber weight loss??

TheAmericanStig
04-29-2008, 12:31 AM
So I am curious. I understand that they make the following parts in carbon fiber.

-Hood
-Doors
-Hatch
-Hatch rear trunk deck thing

Does anyone know how much weight you would save replacing all those stock parts with their cf counterparts?

I know there are plenty of other parts out there in CF, but those are all parts that did not originally come with the car so would actually add to the final weight.

liquid cooled
04-29-2008, 12:33 AM
^ there is also a grill and spoiler in carbon fiber as well. Also where did you see carbon fiber door skins?

Princess
04-29-2008, 03:05 AM
CF is stupid

lol

Godhand
04-29-2008, 05:21 AM
Opinions are stupid

lol

lordofthesiths
04-29-2008, 06:05 AM
seibon makes carbonfiber doors.
as to weight savings i'd email seibon to find out.

bunk
04-29-2008, 06:17 AM
I wouldn't think that you would even notice a difference performance wise by switching these parts to carbon fiber.

tallblondkid
04-29-2008, 07:57 AM
i dont think its a great difference... i actually heard that the hatch is nearly the same weight because of reinforcement, but i could have just made that up

RedSiBaron
04-29-2008, 08:28 AM
i have a stock door...its really heavy...

they dont sell the door skin in carbon, they sell the door...you wouldnt be able to attach a cf skin to a door skin easily...now i dont know what kinda reinforcement they put in the cf door...

if you bought ALL that carbon, you'd prolly notice...

but then again only car ive lightened was already 1800lbs to start, so when i dropped 200lbs off it, id even notice when id have a passenger or case of oil on the passenger side...on our car, i dunno!? you should find out...

powdbyrice
04-29-2008, 09:44 AM
damn, i can't remember who the carbon fiber whore is on the site... one of those east coast guys i think...

Fallout
04-29-2008, 10:00 AM
I know that there were front fenders and front bumper in CF available for the EM1. I can't imagine that there wouldn't atleast be fenders for our cars out there. Maybe since there are so many fewer of the EP3s than the EMs they never designed them, who knows. All I do know is this:

EM1 w/ Complete CF front doghouse FTW!!!

SPAM&RICE
04-29-2008, 10:16 AM
You'll prolly save about 20-25 each door. 10-15 for the hatch. 5 for the hood so 50-60.lbs for 2-3k is it worth it you deside, or just add sc and call it a day.

"guesstamates dont quote"

ALL MotoR Ep3
04-29-2008, 10:41 AM
You'll prolly save about 20-25 each door. 10-15 for the hatch. 5 for the hood so 50-60.lbs for 2-3k is it worth it you deside, or just add sc and call it a day.

hell no its not worth buying it....lmao...its only worth it if you have a lot of money to spend on foolishness....but you are guaranteed to lose weight from those mods...

v1c10us
04-29-2008, 07:22 PM

my carbon fiber hood weights 11 pounds..
my OEM hood weighs nearly 50..

When buying replacement shocks for the rear hatch you need 2 rated to 40 pounds each, the hatch is hinged so it must weigh atleast 100 pounds, probably 150
a carbon fiber hatch weighs like 60 something pounds
the doors weigh about 90 pounds each and the carbon fiber doors would surely weigh something more like 30-40
It depends on the reinforcement, hoods arent incredibly reinforced but the weight savings is upwards of 200 pounds..
People who get those parts will likely have the car gutted as well
so you can knock off another 150 or so pounds in carpet and plastic and sound deadening and seats etc.
the removal of 350 pounds would bring our car down to about 2500 pounds.
Thats a huge difference, the car will stop quicker, and get going quicker with a motor with no torque.

powdbyrice
04-29-2008, 08:14 PM
there were CF fenders from seibon a long time ago. there was a member here who had them. cant remember who tho. socal guy.

the carbon fiber whore i was referring to had a vbp ep...

daily driver w/CF doors is scary. no reinforcements.

Tnhatch03
04-29-2008, 08:17 PM
mushashi comes to mind with the CF Doors.

i believe there was another member who had the doors as well. this what a custom painted EP3, orange/cf, or something like that.

MugenReplica
04-29-2008, 08:21 PM
Lets see......

Carbon parts that are/were available for the Ep3

Front bumper - Was available. If you wanna lose alot of weight up front now, you just get a JDM fiberglass BC3 front bumper and be a moron and remove your front rebar. You'll save ALOT of weight, but it won't be safe

Fenders - Are still available through VIS or Seibon dealers. Call everyone to find the part you want.

Hood - Lots of carbon Fiber hoods available.

Doors - Still available through Seibon I think. They were on ebay for sale @ around $1300 plus shipping.

Rear hatch - Still available, again through VIS or Seibon

Rear bumper - Not available that I know of. Best off with a JDM fiberglass BC3 rear bumper with no rebar again. But like before thats retarded because its not safe.

With all the above including getting rid of the rebars and a full rear gut, you're looking at around 250-300lbs in savings. So if you had a 2002-2003 you'd fall into the 2450lb. range without a driver.

jaeguyoon
04-29-2008, 08:32 PM
Lets see......

Carbon parts that are/were available for the Ep3

Front bumper - Was available. If you wanna lose alot of weight up front now, you just get a JDM fiberglass BC3 front bumper and be a moron and remove your front rebar. You'll save ALOT of weight, but it won't be safe

Fenders - Are still available through VIS or Seibon dealers. Call everyone to find the part you want.

Hood - Lots of carbon Fiber hoods available.

Doors - Still available through Seibon I think. They were on ebay for sale @ around $1300 plus shipping.

Rear hatch - Still available, again through VIS or Seibon

Rear bumper - Not available that I know of. Best off with a JDM fiberglass BC3 rear bumper with no rebar again. But like before thats retarded because its not safe.

With all the above including getting rid of the rebars and a full rear gut, you're looking at around 250-300lbs in savings. So if you had a 2002-2003 you'd fall into the 2450lb. range without a driver.

damn I wish my car only weighed 2450lbs. My car's such a pig..

Fallout
04-29-2008, 08:55 PM
I can't imagine what an EP3 would look like with all the CF equipped, lol. Front bumper, fenders, hood, doors, hatch.. all thats left is the roof and rear end :tape2:

MugenReplica
04-29-2008, 09:08 PM
damn I wish my car only weighed 2450lbs. My car's such a pig..

Well....there are other ways to drop weight too. We'll see what a really lightweight Ep3 weighs this coming summer.

MugenReplica
04-29-2008, 09:10 PM
I can't imagine what an EP3 would look like with all the CF equipped, lol. Front bumper, fenders, hood, doors, hatch.. all thats left is the roof and rear end :tape2:

If you want a light weight car, all you need is alot of lightweight fiberglass and carbon fiber. There has been some pretty heavily carbon fibered Ep3s in the past. There will be more in the future.

Tnhatch03
04-29-2008, 09:13 PM
Lexon Windows + removing sunroof = a lot of weight savings.

for the serious tuners.

powdbyrice
04-29-2008, 09:17 PM
mushashi comes to mind with the CF Doors.

i believe there was another member who had the doors as well. this what a custom painted EP3, orange/cf, or something like that.
good call on musashi! couldn't remember and it was driving me crazy.

i remember that orange one with the CF door. it looked like ass (custom work).

i think wayne (SSR) had a silver CF rear bumper for sale along with a silver CF mugen style wing. but that was waaaaaay back in 04/05 ish.

MugenReplica
04-29-2008, 09:17 PM
Lexon Windows + removing sunroof = a lot of weight savings.

for the serious tuners.

Or just guys who wanna go fast with minimal engine mods.:mangel:

Just add smoked Laminx or something similar to the rear Lexan windows so they don't get scratched up and turn yellow......trust me.

Remove sunroof mainly because its heavy and high up in the chassis. Then add a piece of aluminium or carbon fiber over it and rivet it in.:biggrin:

v1c10us
04-29-2008, 10:26 PM
i had a crx with a b18c5 in it and if you had a passenger in it the difference was phenomenal.
The lighter your car is the more you'll notice the changes in weight, and the more you'll feel every foot pound of torque you can squeeze out of that motor.
the lotus elise for example weighs 1800 pounds and hauls ass on a 190 horsepower motor. Removing 400 pounds from our cars wouldnt be hard if you had the carbon fiber replacement parts mentioned, if you didnt care about air conditioning, if you threw out the EPS and gutted, and then swapped an a2 in there or a k24. 2350 pound car with a k24a2 would definitely smoke quite a few cars out there.

RedSiBaron
04-30-2008, 06:50 AM
power to weight people...power to weight...