PDA

View Full Version : How many Watts off of stock alternator?

72chevel
04-29-2008, 06:34 AM
I am trying to plan my system and was wondering as a rule of thumb How much amplifier can I go with on a stock alternator.
I have a 15 farad cap thats going in and will probably get a stinger battery. Is this Amp to much for the Ep?

Here is the amp in question a Phoenix gold MS1000

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh27/72chevel/ms1000.jpg

digitalfiend
06-09-2008, 09:28 PM
I keep thinking that the stock alternator is 70 amps and I'm considering upgrading mine. Have you found out what the maximum wattage is that you can get out the stock alternator?

ryko
06-09-2008, 09:37 PM
i wouldnt try to pull more than 50 amps off the stock alternator. those caps are literally not worth an aluminum can filled with ketchup and bouncy balls (im drunk). but yea send me a pm if you have any questions, what do you plan on powering with that amp? do me a favor (and your ears) and goto edesignaudio.com its not the cheapest stuff(nor the most expensive) but it sounds great. subs/amps wise, i have no experience with their speakers but they are sorta pricey so i stick with jbls or anything HK (ie: infinity)

i used to do car audio so pm me any q's

v1c10us
06-09-2008, 11:00 PM
I may be mistaken but i'm fairly sure with an odyssey battery you could do just fine on the stock alternator
an upgrade might be alright but I donno that its neccesary

VegaS10
06-10-2008, 04:02 AM
Where in the fack did you find that amp? The MS1000 was made back in 1991-1992. Holy sh!t man. Excellent find.

Get the BIGGEST possible Stinger/Odyssey battery you can under the hood. Throw away the capacitor.

For daily driving at a moderate level, you'll be fine. No one drive around with an amp like that, full tilt, for very long. Be mindful at night with headlights on, AC on, etc. That amp will draw a ton of current at peak volumes, so, keep that in mind.

I would highly suggest 0 gauge cable for that install....

72chevel
06-10-2008, 04:25 AM
I have had that Amp for many years. I have seen this amp go for 1200 plus on ebay in the last couple months so I am thinking about selling it and getting something a little more practical.... but then none of this audio stuff is practical!?! I could just use half the amp its actually 2 amps under one heatsink both sides get its own power.
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh27/72chevel/P3090068-1.jpg

72chevel
06-10-2008, 04:35 AM
i wouldnt try to pull more than 50 amps off the stock alternator. those caps are literally not worth an aluminum can filled with ketchup and bouncy balls (im drunk). but yea send me a pm if you have any questions, what do you plan on powering with that amp? do me a favor (and your ears) and goto edesignaudio.com its not the cheapest stuff(nor the most expensive) but it sounds great. subs/amps wise, i have no experience with their speakers but they are sorta pricey so i stick with jbls or anything HK (ie: infinity)

i used to do car audio so pm me any q's

So I have a cap like this auction are they no good?
I have 2 15" type R's in a vented box.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Phoenix-Gold-TI-Powercore-XL-15-Farad-Dist-Cap_W0QQitemZ160241275273QQihZ006QQcategoryZ75388Q QrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp163 8Q2em118Q2el1247

72chevel
06-10-2008, 04:39 AM
I keep thinking that the stock alternator is 70 amps and I'm considering upgrading mine. Have you found out what the maximum wattage is that you can get out the stock alternator?

A guy pm'd me a while back that works alot with Audio here is his quote:

I think that you willbe ok. I would get a large battery for under the hood and a 2nd battery for the back. I have a total of about 230 amp current draw on the stock alt. I have looked and talked to a couple of companies that build alt's, and they have told me that they are having a hard time making them any bigger. the one company that I talked to said that they have a stock alt that they were testing and it was putting out about 150 amps, that is much more than it was rated. I i remember corect it was rated at 85-90amps.

hey thanks for the reply so you have to rebuild yours often pulling that much from it?

Still Stock never been rebuilt, 98,000 miles and have had a system in it since it was new in 02.

Chad
06-10-2008, 06:37 AM
An amplifier only pulls what you demand out of it sans the quiescent draw which will be a few amps to tickle the PS FETs and apply bias to the finals.

In other words you can power it with 8 D cell batteries providing you don't play music with it :D

It's current draw goes up dramatically as you load it down, those who believe that an amp needs to run within an inch of it's life at 1 ohm will see some incredible current draw, if you loaf it along at 4 ohms then it will likely be just fine with the stock charging system and an upgraded battery (I believe the EP STOCK needs an upgraded battery ;) )

Word to the wise with those old PG's, they are NOTORIOUS for having bad rail filter caps, and when they go they can and will total the amplifier ;) Age compounds these problems as the electrolyte dries out. It is a VERY cool and powerful amplifier and worth a damn pretty penny to a collector, it would be wise to have the power supply re-capped ;) Very wise.......

http://www.soundbuggy.com/Eric/Car%20Audio/leaking_capacitor_tutorial/index.html

Quote from the author:

Any time I come across someone with one of these amps, I do everything in my power to convince them to change the caps. I don't care if I do the work or if they do the work, I just don't want them to have an amp catch on fire like this.

Considering the caps are only a few dollars to replace, it is well worth the piece of mind.

Here's what can and will happen and I can attest that a few of these just as bad have crossed my bench too......

http://www.soundbuggy.com/Eric/Car%20Audio/phoenix_gold/ms_series/ms2250_repair/

This guy does good work and I believe will do the cap replacement for you, my bench is full at the moment from a mishap with a generator, if you want I can get you in contact with him...

Chad

Chad
06-10-2008, 06:39 AM
those caps are literally not worth an aluminum can filled with ketchup and bouncy balls

Permission to use that in a sig file elsewhere, you cited?

72chevel
06-10-2008, 07:40 AM
An amplifier only pulls what you demand out of it sans the quiescent draw which will be a few amps to tickle the PS FETs and apply bias to the finals.

In other words you can power it with 8 D cell batteries providing you don't play music with it :D

It's current draw goes up dramatically as you load it down, those who believe that an amp needs to run within an inch of it's life at 1 ohm will see some incredible current draw, if you loaf it along at 4 ohms then it will likely be just fine with the stock charging system and an upgraded battery (I believe the EP STOCK needs an upgraded battery ;) )

Word to the wise with those old PG's, they are NOTORIOUS for having bad rail filter caps, and when they go they can and will total the amplifier ;) Age compounds these problems as the electrolyte dries out. It is a VERY cool and powerful amplifier and worth a damn pretty penny to a collector, it would be wise to have the power supply re-capped ;) Very wise.......

http://www.soundbuggy.com/Eric/Car%20Audio/leaking_capacitor_tutorial/index.html

Quote from the author:

Here's what can and will happen and I can attest that a few of these just as bad have crossed my bench too......

http://www.soundbuggy.com/Eric/Car%20Audio/phoenix_gold/ms_series/ms2250_repair/

This guy does good work and I believe will do the cap replacement for you, my bench is full at the moment from a mishap with a generator, if you want I can get you in contact with him...

Chad

Hey thanks for the info. I work at a electronic manufacturing facility so I have seen first hand the "potenitial" of those caps. Most of the time those caps are to big to be machine placed so operators are more prone to put them in backwards. Depending on what circuit its in they either let out a little stink or caboom wakes up the Test Tech!!! :boom:

Chad
06-10-2008, 08:05 AM
Depending on what circuit its in they either let out a little stink or caboom wakes up the Test Tech!!! :boom:

I've had an amp self oscillate back into the PS, blow the can off a cap and whack me in the forehead. That will get your attention!

They used bad caps, it's too bad but it's an easy fix. DO use low ESR caps rated at 105Deg C as opposed to 85Deg C, cheap insurance :D

VegaS10
06-10-2008, 10:29 AM
It's worth a pretty penny on eBay.

If you're not attatched to it, sell it and get soemthing more practical.

Class D amps are extremely efficient, smaller, and much more practical.

Chad
06-10-2008, 11:24 AM
It's worth a pretty penny on eBay.

If you're not attatched to it, sell it and get soemthing more practical.

Class D amps are extremely efficient, smaller, and much more practical.

Or if not Ebay I'll get you with a group of people and it will go to a great home, or collector.

I concur on a more practical amp, but sometimes car audio is synonymous with impractical :peace:

72chevel
06-10-2008, 12:13 PM
Or if not Ebay I'll get you with a group of people and it will go to a great home, or collector.

I concur on a more practical amp, but sometimes car audio is synonymous with impractical :peace:

I would be interested in selling to a good home. take part of the money and buy a 5 channel and with the rest "fog lights" :rockon: