PDA

View Full Version : wheel stud replacement

MugsyTheGr8
04-29-2008, 05:10 PM
is it necessary to remove the hub to do it on the front end of the ep? i searched , and the one somewhat useful thread concluded in the person just taking it to a garage and not doing it themselves.

Windchaser
04-29-2008, 05:25 PM
technically, yes. it is one of the most frustrating installs i've done . . . i just ended up taking it to a shop because I couldn't get the damn stud off.

MugsyTheGr8
04-29-2008, 05:42 PM
technically, yes. it is one of the most frustrating installs i've done . . . i just ended up taking it to a shop because I couldn't get the damn stud off.

what happened with your install?

Windchaser
04-29-2008, 06:44 PM
what happened with your install?

It's actually pretty straight forward. However, you can't get to the studs because the shield is in the way. Meaning, you cannot remove the studs unless you remove the shield or remove the hub assembly completely from the driveshaft. In order to remove the hub assembly, you need a press . . . that was my problem. With the hub assembly remove, you can easily replace the studs.

moonsi
04-29-2008, 07:11 PM
when you put the new studs in, make sure you weld them on

not the whole thing, but little spot weld on each is fine

when the studs get old, it gets loosen and your lug nut and stud will spin together on the hub, you won`t be able to take it off

I learned my lesson in hard way :)

DericSh
04-29-2008, 08:54 PM
^ thats probably from over tightening the lug nuts.

MugsyTheGr8
04-29-2008, 09:49 PM
ill take my chances just pounding them in. i don't really have any welding equipment available to me on campus, plus i would have to take the hub off anyways to that and thats kinda what i want to avoid.

Windchaser
04-29-2008, 10:19 PM
ill take my chances just pounding them in. i don't really have any welding equipment available to me on campus, plus i would have to take the hub off anyways to that and thats kinda what i want to avoid.

I have seen people try use a hammer to separate the hub from the axle to change out the wheel bearings =) LOL.

jw1
04-30-2008, 12:08 AM
I have not seen studs welded on before. I strongly recommend not doing that.

Windchaser
04-30-2008, 03:32 PM
I have not seen studs welded on before. I strongly recommend not doing that.

In Super GT racing, the studs and the hub is a solid one piece thing.

Zzyzx
04-30-2008, 03:41 PM
THere use to be a trick with honda wheel studs where you could grind off one side of the studs head and sneak it past the hub assembly.... That sadly no longer works. So yeah, even if the dust shield wasnt there (un screw it and get creative with some tin snips...) you'd still have to pull the bearing.

DericSh
04-30-2008, 05:14 PM
i agree, bearing has to go. sorry :(

there is like a three hundred dollar tool that makes it real easy though.

dtt02278
04-30-2008, 05:27 PM
I've changed mines... thought my studs were 12 x 1.25.. but found out it was wrong when i put them on.... it screwed up the stud and shaved it.. then i had to replace the studs.. took out everything... the shield has a small hole in which i held a wrench handle through to hammer the studs in.. worked great... everything is fine now.. i replaced all the ones i screwed up... which was like all of them.. i know i know.. why would i put all of the small lug nut on if it was killing my studs?.... I thought it was just a tight fit... didnt know until i took them out that it screwed it up.. the whole install is something i never want to do again...

MugsyTheGr8
04-30-2008, 06:02 PM
I've changed mines... thought my studs were 12 x 1.25.. but found out it was wrong when i put them on.... it screwed up the stud and shaved it.. then i had to replace the studs.. took out everything... the shield has a small hole in which i held a wrench handle through to hammer the studs in.. worked great... everything is fine now.. i replaced all the ones i screwed up... which was like all of them.. i know i know.. why would i put all of the small lug nut on if it was killing my studs?.... I thought it was just a tight fit... didnt know until i took them out that it screwed it up.. the whole install is something i never want to do again...

so you didnt have to press out the hub?

dtt02278
04-30-2008, 06:12 PM
nah...i just put a skinny wrench tool through the hole... spin the rotor to the correct spot and start pounding... just make sure you pound it straight...

MugsyTheGr8
04-30-2008, 06:28 PM
nah...i just put a skinny wrench tool through the hole... spin the rotor to the correct spot and start pounding... just make sure you pound it straight...

sweet. ill try that out tomorrow.

Kongsi02
04-30-2008, 10:11 PM
can you post some pictures?

MugsyTheGr8
05-01-2008, 07:13 AM
sure, ill bring my camera with me and take pics if i can do it.

ep3moschini
05-01-2008, 07:18 AM
they suck to do. . . dont bother unless you have to :israel:

MugsyTheGr8
05-01-2008, 02:56 PM
well i attempted to do it today and it is not possible to remove the stud without pressing out the wheel hub. that would not be such a big deal for me since i go to a school where various tools are available for me to use. but, in order for the hub to be pressed out, the spindle assembly must be removed from the vehicle and pressed out from the cv joint side, and i simply did not have the time to do it.

so for anyone who searches front wheel stud replacement in the future. it cannot be done with out a press, you cannot grind the knuckle to get enough clearance, you must remove the hub from the spindle, you must remove the spindle from the car to press out the hub.:mfrown:

Windchaser
05-01-2008, 03:48 PM
Told ya so =). Just take it to a shop and they can do it in 5 minutes. If the shop is cool, they won't charge you much.

MugsyTheGr8
05-01-2008, 04:04 PM
Told ya so =). Just take it to a shop and they can do it in 5 minutes. If the shop is cool, they won't charge you much.

lol yea you did, as well as zzyx and others:mredface:. but i like to learn the hard way. i plan on taking it to a shop when i get home, shame that something as small a replacing a wheel stud requires so much disassembly.

heres some pics
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l51/mugsythegr8/DSCF0525.jpg
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l51/mugsythegr8/DSCF0526.jpg
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l51/mugsythegr8/DSCF0527.jpg

Windchaser
05-01-2008, 04:12 PM
Whoa! It snapped right off? Did you use air tools to tighten your lug nuts or something? Yeah, the newer Hondas just suck ass, which is why we cannot even replace our own damn wheel stud =(.

MugsyTheGr8
05-01-2008, 04:21 PM
Whoa! It snapped right off? Did you use air tools to tighten your lug nuts or something? Yeah, the newer Hondas just suck ass, which is why we cannot even replace our own damn wheel stud =(.

lol, i always get a kick out of telling people how it broke. i was actually taking the lug off. i would never believe that if i hadnt done it myself. when i went to take it off there was a ridiculous amount of tension. i figured i might have cross thread it and not noticed, but i doubted that theory since i had hand tightened them the week before when i rotated my tires. so i kept on turning, thinking that i was turning the lug when i fact it was just the stud flexing.

DericSh
05-01-2008, 04:52 PM
i wants credit too! sorry we told ya so!!

just kidding dude, hope they don't charge you much.

MugsyTheGr8
05-01-2008, 05:50 PM
haha the "told you so > mugsy" crew

Lucid Moments
05-01-2008, 06:08 PM

You know what it is don't you? The Japanese are taking lessons from the Germans. Over engineering shit so it can't be fixed short of a professional shop. Ever tried to work on a beemer? Especially a newer one?

MugsyTheGr8
05-02-2008, 08:50 PM
i guess its for liablity reasons

Windchaser
05-02-2008, 11:20 PM
You know what it is don't you? The Japanese are taking lessons from the Germans. Over engineering shit so it can't be fixed short of a professional shop. Ever tried to work on a beemer? Especially a newer one?

You are right?! I didn't think about that. I have not worked on any new BMWs yet, but the newer VWs are so hard to work on nowadays. They have sensors for everything . . . it's annoying.

K20A EP3
06-24-2008, 12:10 PM
I hit the threads on 1 of mine a couple weeks ago when i had to replace my axle. I was thinking about ordering some extended wheel studs, but after reading this im going to hold off for a little while. Anybody tried a die nut to recut the threads

SIworks
04-19-2010, 01:22 PM
hey guess i know how to get the studs on without any welds but how the hell do you get the broken studs off ?? do you really need to take it to the shop ?? let me know please asap i have my car apart right now !!

socmex7
04-19-2010, 07:16 PM
well i attempted to do it today and it is not possible to remove the stud without pressing out the wheel hub. that would not be such a big deal for me since i go to a school where various tools are available for me to use. but, in order for the hub to be pressed out, the spindle assembly must be removed from the vehicle and pressed out from the cv joint side, and i simply did not have the time to do it.

so for anyone who searches front wheel stud replacement in the future. it cannot be done with out a press, you cannot grind the knuckle to get enough clearance, you must remove the hub from the spindle, you must remove the spindle from the car to press out the hub.:mfrown:

this is how you get it out. you need to take it to a shop. there's no little "trick" like the older hondas..

hotwired_78
04-19-2010, 08:56 PM
hey guess i know how to get the studs on without any welds but how the hell do you get the broken studs off ?? do you really need to take it to the shop ?? let me know please asap i have my car apart right now !!

gotta pull the hub off the car.