PDA

View Full Version : Bad O2 sensor due to cleaning your engine???

PaTTi2103a
04-29-2008, 05:58 PM
i just had my car check over the weekends because my check engine sign came on so i went to a mechanic i know and he said i had a bad O2 sensor. right before i was gonna leave a guy from the shop walked up to me and told me it was because i cleaned my engine to much. is that true because all i do is brush it once a while...

hondave
04-29-2008, 06:02 PM
nah cleaning your engine aint gonna throw a cel.no way.

Windchaser
04-29-2008, 06:09 PM
i just had my car check over the weekends because my check engine sign came on so i went to a mechanic i know and he said i had a bad O2 sensor. right before i was gonna leave a guy from the shop walked up to me and told me it was because i cleaned my engine to much. is that true because all i do is brush it once a while...

ha ha ha ha . . . that's ridiculous. unless you purposely hit the O2 sensor with a hammer, the guy is an idiot.

ALL MotoR Ep3
04-29-2008, 06:10 PM

No thats not true....it was probably just on its way out and then finally just went bad...but cleaning your engine doesnt cause o2s to go bad..

siver-SI
04-29-2008, 06:13 PM
Only way I could see that being true is that if you took a pressure washer right to it. That can cause a problem. On reason I just take the hose to it.

DericSh
04-29-2008, 06:22 PM
check the pin fit on both sides of the connector before you spend $200 bucks on an o2 sensor!

PaTTi2103a
04-29-2008, 06:29 PM
check the pin fit on both sides of the connector before you spend $200 bucks on an o2 sensor!

will do thanks

DericSh
04-29-2008, 09:14 PM
welcome, good luck!

fugenpower
04-29-2008, 10:05 PM

i am a mechanic and this is truly the first i have ever heard of that. unless he meant when you clean your car you broke one of the sensors. cleaning your engine bay if anything promotes better running engines.

jeffgeezer
04-29-2008, 10:15 PM
probably meant cleaning the internals using sea foam or something. have you used one recently? the ones you let vacuum suck it in n dissolve all carbon deposits. i heard cases it killed their 02 sensors. on the other hand, cleaning the outside of the engine w degreaser n stuff doesnt hurt it at all

PaTTi2103a
04-30-2008, 05:54 PM
probably meant cleaning the internals using sea foam or something. have you used one recently? the ones you let vacuum suck it in n dissolve all carbon deposits. i heard cases it killed their 02 sensors. on the other hand, cleaning the outside of the engine w degreaser n stuff doesnt hurt it at all

i usually brush the outside once in a while when it starts to get dusty but thats it.

tdman77
04-30-2008, 10:36 PM
Unless you are cleaning the catalytic converter under the car there is no way you can damange the sensor by cleaning the engine bay. I wouldn't take your car back to that shop again. If that is any indication of the type of people working there then run away fast!:bolt: