PDA

View Full Version : DIY: door lock actuator

Psykoasn
04-29-2008, 07:10 PM
My drive side door lock is acting up on me, i'm pretty sure it is the actuator, who ever posted the DIY to replace it, if you still have it can you please post it back up? :mbiggrin::mbiggrin::mbiggrin:

thanx in advance

ep88
04-29-2008, 07:18 PM
good thing I still have this pic in my photobucket account :mbiggrin: just remove the door panel.

you just need to remove 2 or 3 screws, I think there's a 3rd one on the bottom area.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/ep88/actuatorscrews2.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/ep88/actuatorinside.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/ep88/actuatorscrews.jpg
looking at this last pic, most likely you only need to remove 2 screws.

hope this helps.

Psykoasn
04-30-2008, 05:46 PM
sweet thanks

2k3hatchie
04-06-2010, 08:08 AM
Bumping an old thread but just adding some more info..

Note: I did not make this video, it is great though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heRnJWXixdk

Following this video I had my drivers door lock actuator replaced in under 30 Min.

Here is where you can find the parts:
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=CIVIC&catcgry2=2003&catcgry3=3DR+SI&catcgry4=KA5MT&catcgry5=DOOR+LOCKS

When I replaced mine i used number 25. I'm sure someone will chime in with the exact part numbers for both the drivers and passengers side.

skoo74
04-06-2010, 07:28 PM
my power door locks sometimes doesn't completely lock... is it the actuator that is bad? if so, i'll need to do this dyi.. that youtube clip is great..

2k3hatchie
04-08-2010, 12:02 PM
my power door locks sometimes doesn't completely lock... is it the actuator that is bad? if so, i'll need to do this dyi.. that youtube clip is great..

That is how mine started, it would work but, very slowly. After a few weeks of that it stopped completely.

makavelibranded
04-08-2010, 05:09 PM
yep thats what both of mine did right before they stopped working

skoo74
04-12-2010, 10:39 AM
coolios guys... it sounds like this will be my weekend project...

ttttrigg3r
05-01-2010, 12:21 PM
Thank's for posting up the video. What # would I want to buy for the passenger side then? anyone?

2k3hatchie
05-03-2010, 09:08 AM
Thank's for posting up the video. What # would I want to buy for the passenger side then? anyone?

I think in that case you'd want #4 in the link I posted. #25 says actuator essebly door lock, while #4 says actuator essebly door lock, right.. which would be passenger side. I'm not 100% sure though cause i've only replaced my drivers side.

skoo74
05-13-2010, 02:46 PM
damn... i just bought the driver side actuator from a local dealerhip for $73 including tax.. I just checked the link Chad posted and it was $47 shipped.. fack!.. i should have orded online.. .o well... i'm going to fix it this weekend..

again.. good posts fellazzz!

ttttrigg3r
05-13-2010, 04:41 PM
Still need the # for the passenger side. anyone???

2k3hatchie
05-13-2010, 06:54 PM
Still need the # for the passenger side. anyone???

I'm still pretty sure its #4 if you look in the majestic part diagram. Shoot them an E-mail, they've responded pretty quickly to every inquiry i've made. Could also call your local dealer for a part number, then enter it on majestic or the part site of your choice.

Passenger
05-14-2010, 10:43 AM
3dkahuna (sp) had a great video about this somewhere..

Grookes
05-15-2010, 06:04 PM
To remove your door panel, watch the first 1:30 of this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgGkIGZb5Wk
I ordered the part today. Looking forward to not having to use my keys to get into my car again...

EP3lovesCB7
05-16-2010, 01:20 PM
I had to do this too when I first bought my EP. I bought mine from the dealer as well for about $70. It's kind of a bitch to put in but its better than manually locking the door lol

Grookes
05-22-2010, 10:29 PM
Ugh. The LAST screw. The VERY last screw I had to remove. Stripped the head.
I have the door panel off right now, have to smog it tomorrow anyway. Maybe the smog shop will help me pull out the stripped screw.
So close to having my door lock back and I stripped the head. Stupid lock-tite. How did you get your screw out with the lock-tite working against you?

Grookes
05-23-2010, 12:55 PM
Driver's side done! All back together with replacement screws from Dale Hardware in Fremont.
So I went to test it, and while the driver's side looks good, I looked over at the passenger side... it locks but doesn't unlock all the way. Thought I had a little more life on the passenger side actuator, but apparently not. That side is going to wait though. At least my side works again.

03Si757
05-24-2010, 04:32 PM
Mine literally JUST took a shyt on me. I get online just to find that the first thread in this folder on here is about this problem.... SWEET. Gonna fix asap. If anyone wants to order one I may be able to get them at cost through my job might save a few bucks. Ill find out tomorrow and let yall know.

thakid
05-24-2010, 09:36 PM
I am not sure if its my door lock actuator or not. My driver side doesn't allow me to unlock door. I can insert key but it doesn't lock or unlock because the key barely moves left or right. I have to unlock and lock it from the inside by pulling door lock knub thing haha. Any ideas

LOVIN MY EP3
05-25-2010, 12:11 AM
I changed my passenger door lock actuator today and man it was so difficult with limited space and small screws ... so word of advice take your time and be patient

DarkStrado
09-07-2010, 12:35 PM
quick question.
is there suppose to be an actuator on the passenger side?
cuz every time i lock it from my side, it only locks the hatch... x[
and no wireless entry. =[

mangvue05si
09-07-2010, 02:17 PM
so after all that, you CAN USE THE REMOTE TO UNLOCK AND LOCK WITH NO KEY CORRECT?

Grookes
09-22-2010, 12:35 PM
DarkStrado - Yes, there is an actuator in the passenger side door, too. What year is your Si? Mine is an '02 and both sides (driver & passenger doors) went out this year. Anybody else want to back up a ~8 year life span on these things?

Mangvue - Yes, after replacing my driver's side actuator, my key remote works fine now. (Although, I'm still procrastinating on the passenger door.)

ttttrigg3r
09-22-2010, 01:01 PM
lol funny, I have an 02 too and my passenger side went out couple months ago. 8 years sounds correct.

JCM
09-25-2010, 05:14 AM
My passenger side died on my 02. New one on the way from Majestic. Honda's gonna have a shortage of these pretty soon.

lazeebeast35
09-25-2010, 12:31 PM
Hmmm been driving around for a few years without being able to unlock both doors with the remote lol. So i guess i just need to change the actuators then??? lol im so slow at this, so worried about other details about the car didnt really pay attention the the locks.

ttttrigg3r
09-25-2010, 01:29 PM
Hmmm been driving around for a few years without being able to unlock both doors with the remote lol. So i guess i just need to change the actuators then??? lol im so slow at this, so worried about other details about the car didnt really pay attention the the locks.

lol so your remote does not work at all?? check the battery.

lazeebeast35
09-25-2010, 01:41 PM
No it does. The hatch unlocks but the doors don't. Lights blinks and everything but doesn't unlock or lock.

3dkahuna
09-26-2010, 05:53 AM
No it does. The hatch unlocks but the doors don't. Lights blinks and everything but doesn't unlock or lock.

That would indicate that both Driver (http://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine/honda~actuator~assy~72155-S5A-A01.html) and Passenger (http://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine/honda~actuator~assy~72115-S5A-003.html) side actuators are bad.

Honda Parts Now Parts Page (http://www.hondapartsnow.com/Page_Product/PartDetail.aspx?catalogID=58&productID=4&yearID=20&doorID=2&gradeID=11&areaID=2&transmissionID=3&originID=-1&colorLabelIDs=-1&colorLabelID=-1&sectionID=8&idAndImageID=10229%20463785&isBigPicture=False&pageName=Door%20Locks)

Driver Side: 72155-S5A-A01
Passenger Side: 72115-S5A-003

neoamd
09-28-2010, 05:34 PM
Thanks for this DIY. I need to replace my drivers side. I went ahead and a picked up a passenger side as well just to get em out of the way, haha

duck_boy
10-10-2010, 09:48 PM
Thanks for the DIY! Just did this a couple days ago and everything went perfectly up until I had it all installed and came to wind down the window for the first time and it jumped out of its channel because I hadn't tightened/lined up the metal bracket holding the channel in the door properly. I then proceeded to spend the next hour and a bit swearing and spraying white silicone grease everywhere trying to get the window back in its slot haha. Spent longer on the window than the actuator! Going to do the passenger side actuator in a couple weeks once part arrives, hopefully learning from my mistakes

Garrett
10-12-2010, 07:49 PM
wierd i needed this too, install was a pain in the ass though

SonicGroove
10-19-2010, 02:34 PM
Drivers side just took a dump. I love this forum! Gonna do mine next weekend!!

jgn6848
10-19-2010, 02:51 PM
did mine a few days ago. Use the youtube videos and pause video for each step. Also use "the ep3 door panel removal " video to remove door without breaking anything. Took an hour flat to remove door and replace actuator. Hardest part for me was putting back the door panel because of the tweeter speaker not wanting to line up.

duck_boy
10-19-2010, 06:00 PM
finished both of my doors now. in regards to the tweeter, i just removed it. just pull it upwards and out once the door panel is off. it's only held on by one clip, but watch out for its wire. you can put it on after you put the door panel back in. made life so much easier once i figured it out!

1fasthb
10-19-2010, 06:31 PM
this will prolly be the next thing i do unless i go to getting brand new headlights frist dunno yet but i have saved this thread in my fav's :D

str8upballur
11-07-2010, 09:54 PM
im not 100% sure about what i need to replace with my car door but my remote unlocks all 3 doors. but my driver side door does not open from the outside. would it be the actuator that i need to replace or another part number? thanks for any help.

Grookes
11-07-2010, 10:50 PM
Str8up - I'm going from memory, but I think there is a cable that hooks up to the door handle. It may have popped loose? At any rate, that sounds independent of any actuator problems.

str8upballur
11-08-2010, 09:23 AM
Str8up - I'm going from memory, but I think there is a cable that hooks up to the door handle. It may have popped loose? At any rate, that sounds independent of any actuator problems.

thanks. ill have to take the panel off this weekend to see what it is.

JCM
11-11-2010, 04:16 PM
Finished mine. Nice having power locks again. FYI..definately pull the plastic cover off of the lock mechanism before trying to attach the acuator. I dicked around trying to attach with the cover still on. Removed the cover and I was done in 10 minutes. Also magnetic screwdriver is a must.

civictype_r04
12-15-2010, 09:36 AM
I'm ordering my pass. one today....... Been dead for like a year. Till I found this thread I didn't know what it was....

carrito
03-14-2011, 10:16 PM
interesting, i also have problems with my door, idk if its the actuator or not, sometimes works, now that its really cold is not working at all , idk if has something to do with that because when its warm it works fine?

white46
03-15-2011, 08:49 AM
interesting, i also have problems with my door, idk if its the actuator or not, sometimes works, now that its really cold is not working at all , idk if has something to do with that because when its warm it works fine?
yup. that's sign of the actuator going bad and it is how mine started and ended up not working at all.

eptwah
03-20-2011, 11:36 PM
ahhhh man! Mine did this as soon as i read this and went to get in my car 5 mins later :[

codyep3
04-22-2011, 10:30 PM
just did both my driver's side and passenger's. Yay keyless entry again lol.

Edit: good thing I have a girlfriend with cute little hands. This will take you a good two hours for both sides probably

JeffCO
04-24-2011, 01:22 PM
It is already obvious that I need to replace both actuators in my car. When I purchased my car, I never received remote/keychain clickers (what's the real word?). So... if I replace both actuators and order the correct remotes, I will then have properly operating power locks and remote capabilities?

codyep3
04-25-2011, 10:03 AM
It is already obvious that I need to replace both actuators in my car. When I purchased my car, I never received remote/keychain clickers (what's the real word?). So... if I replace both actuators and order the correct remotes, I will then have properly operating power locks and remote capabilities?

You need:
FOB(Clicker)
Security System
Both side Actuators.

It cost me about 280$ to get my car up to keyless entry. I was in the same situation as you. I bought all OEM stuff keep in mind.

JaydmEp3
04-25-2011, 05:01 PM
good thing mine isnt the only one acting up. need one for my pass side. bump for thread. saved!

JeffCO
04-25-2011, 05:02 PM
Is it a fair assumption that my car has a security system installed? Because I don't know for sure. I just bought my 02 EP, it's basically stock and I never received FOB's. Also, where does one buy the OEM FOB units?

NEO_FOLLOWER2
07-05-2011, 07:05 PM
i think all 3 of my doors/hatch whatever are about to go out on me lol

i think i can replace the doors easy

but anyone have a diy with pictures on how to do the rear?

again im not sure about the rear hatch going out on me or if there even is an actuator to replace...

sometime my remote unlocks the car...and other times it doesnt (the lights flash and everything everytime though)

YohL
08-05-2011, 04:39 PM
Hey guys, I did the procedure on this door lock actuator & I'm pretty sure I got everything installed properly back together on the driver side,however the remote still doesn't work..

I tried both remotes none of them work. my passenger side just took a shit on me not too long ago, do I have to replace the passenger side first to get both to work again?

What should I look for? thx

Grookes
08-10-2011, 10:09 AM
YohL: What about the toggle switch above the driver's side indoor handle - does that work locking/unlocking the doors? That would narrow it down to whether it's your remote(s) or something within the car (loose electrical, bad actuator, etc.). I replaced one actuator at a time and the system still worked; no need to replace all at once.

nmysiismyn
08-19-2011, 03:11 PM
Finally decided to crack open my door and troubleshoot the actuator...
I have an old driver's side assembly that I could use to test there.. It worked just fine. :mfrown:

I can't do the no-keyless-entry-thing, so it looks I'm gonna have to search around for one.. Damn! :mredface:

YohL
08-22-2011, 07:55 PM
Hey sorry for the really really late reply. But yes the door switch that supposed to unlock/lock doesn't work anymore. I believe it doesn't work as soon as the passenger side went out..another problem I have now that I notice is my interior light won't come on anymore when the doors are open...don't know if it's coincidence or related...

nmysiismyn
08-22-2011, 08:07 PM
Hey sorry for the really really late reply. But yes the door switch that supposed to unlock/lock doesn't work anymore. I believe it doesn't work as soon as the passenger side went out..another problem I have now that I notice is my interior light won't come on anymore when the doors are open...don't know if it's coincidence or related...

The remote and the door panel switch should be trying (at least making sounds- like its trying) to unlock the doors no matter what. Locking on the other hand, while the door is "ajar" (whether by open door or faulty ajar switch) should work for the door panel switch but it won't work for the remote...

Do your lights flash when you hit the lock button?
From inside, What do you hear when you try to lock/unlock?

YohL
08-24-2011, 02:00 PM
Basically, no sound from what I can hear. The door lock switch doesn't work anymore. The light flashes on both of my remotes.

I did replace a starter not too long ago, don't know if that matters. No responses at all. It's small bullshit but enough to make me feel annoyed for not having keyless entry..

nmysiismyn
08-24-2011, 08:13 PM
Basically, no sound from what I can hear. The door lock switch doesn't work anymore. The light flashes on both of my remotes.

I did replace a starter not too long ago, don't know if that matters. No responses at all. It's small bullshit but enough to make me feel annoyed for not having keyless entry..

With my passenger's side actuator out, I've had to use my key a few times (maybe 8 times) since it went out last week... I'm already annoyed! That's more that I've EVER had to use it in 7.5 years!

codyep3
08-25-2011, 07:09 AM

Did you program It correctly?

Grookes
08-26-2011, 10:51 AM
Sounds like more than an actuator to me. I agree that even with a door open an audible click should be heard when the mechanism tries to lock/unlock your doors. Loose cable? Wiring? Don't know if an old actuator would make the whole system shut off like that.

nmysiismyn
08-26-2011, 11:47 AM
Sounds like more than an actuator to me. I agree that even with a door open an audible click should be heard when the mechanism tries to lock/unlock your doors. Loose cable? Wiring? Don't know if an old actuator would make the whole system shut off like that.

Dayamn! :meek:

From what I've been hearing, I guess the driver's side actuator kinda acts like a master. So, while it's on it's way out, it affects the whole system. IDK if that's true or not though...

JaydmEp3
08-27-2011, 09:25 PM
umm idk bout tht buddy. wen my passenger side was acting up n died my left side was fine.

BeaterEP
08-27-2011, 09:31 PM
No, that's right. The driver's side keys the rest of the system somehow, so if that lock doesn't actuate, none of the rest will either, and you can't set the alarm.

Grookes
08-27-2011, 10:06 PM
I'll back down - my experience has only been with my car, and I had the driver's side replaced before it completely died. Apologies for possible mis-information.

nmysiismyn
08-27-2011, 11:36 PM
No, that's right. The driver's side keys the rest of the system somehow, so if that lock doesn't actuate, none of the rest will either, and you can't set the alarm.

I'm assuming that's why the bish costs more than the passenger's side one does. :mrolleyes:

I'll back down - my experience has only been with my car, and I had the driver's side replaced before it completely died. Apologies for possible mis-information.

It's all good Mr. OG! :mcool:
After 7.5 years ruth my EP, this actuator crap's all new to me. I'm only dealing with a passenger's side one ATM. I was just going off if hearsay, but if BeaterEP confirms, I'd say it's as true as the gospel is good. :msmile:
Honestly, I wouldn't have guessed that it was the case...
Major props for your humble reply! :thumbu:

NEO_FOLLOWER2
08-27-2011, 11:44 PM
my drivers side is out

and to put it simply into one sentence...

with the drivers side actuator out, the other locks will only "actuate" to the position that the drivers side PHYSICAL lock is in.

hence if the drivers side door lock is unlocked. you can use the remote and switch to unlock/ the other door and hatch.
if the drivers side door is locked you can use the switch and remote to lock the door only.

StimulisRK
08-31-2011, 11:11 AM
Does anyone know where to buy the actual plastic door handle and the circular part of the lock where you stick your key in?

nmysiismyn
08-31-2011, 01:13 PM
Does anyone know where to buy the actual plastic door handle and the circular part of the lock where you stick your key in?

Majestic Honda: hondaautomotiveparts.com

$58.01/shipped

Assuming your EP is Vivid Blue Pearl...

Passenger's Side: 72140-S7A-J01ZQ
Driver's Side: 72180-S7A-J01ZQ

BeaterEP
08-31-2011, 02:18 PM
my drivers side is out

with the drivers side actuator out, the other locks will only "actuate" to the position that the drivers side PHYSICAL lock is in.

hence if the drivers side door lock is unlocked. you can use the remote and switch to unlock/ the other door and hatch.
if the drivers side door is locked you can use the switch and remote to lock the door only.

Ah, you're absolutely right!
Nice clarification man, thanks!

jimmyjames
09-01-2011, 03:10 PM
Just replaced my passenger side actuator last weekend. Based upon the difference between the passenger and driver side actuators, i'd agree that the driver side has some control over the others...driver side has 2 wire harnesses plugging into it, passenger has only one.

Calvinep3
10-24-2011, 12:41 PM
my drivers side is out

Would this affect the horn sounding when i lock my doors?
When i bought my ep both actuators were bad, but the horn would still sound when i pressed the lock button. Now that i replaced the actuators the horn does not sound when locking the doors but the doors lock. Any input?

ttttrigg3r
10-24-2011, 08:32 PM
aftermarket alarm? When my driver's side went bad, the horn would not sound to lock because the driver's side would not lock. I just replaced it last week and now it works fine. I press lock, then lock again and the horn sounds once.

Calvinep3
10-24-2011, 08:52 PM
aftermarket alarm? When my driver's side went bad, the horn would not sound to lock because the driver's side would not lock. I just replaced it last week and now it works fine. I press lock, then lock again and the horn sounds once.
No its the oem one that when pressing the lock twice makes the horn sound. After i replaced the actuator it didnt work.

nmysiismyn
10-24-2011, 09:16 PM
IDK why replacing your actuators would case the horn to stop working. I'm assuming you connected the pigtails properly. So, I'm thinking a wire got wiggled loose or something.

Factory-installed Honda alarms are installed to beep once during locking and twice during unlocking. I made Honda change it to how you guys are describing it- once after pressing lock twice (within 5 seconds after) and not at all during unlocking.

Good luck with the fix.

My passenger's side actuator went out recently and now my driver's side is on it's way out. :mrolleyes: Bummed.

BobsElise
10-25-2011, 08:11 AM
I just did this last night on the passenger's side. It was a great feeling to fix it after a year of being broken.

ttttrigg3r
10-25-2011, 11:33 AM
how would you make it so that it beeps on the first lock? I would love something like that

nmysiismyn
10-25-2011, 11:46 AM
I just did this last night on the passenger's side. It was a great feeling to fix it after a year of being broken.

I bet. I sure hope I don't go years without it.
Now that my driver's side is going out, I figure it'll just be an excuse to replace them both...

Honda should have an effin' recall on these bishes! :mmad:

how would you make it so that it beeps on the first lock? I would love something like that

Sorry mang.. I don't. Honda installed mine a week after I bought my egg new.
I've tried to understand what they did, by looking at everything under the dash, but it's a rat's nest under there.

Try Googling it. I bet you can find a DIY on it.

ttttrigg3r
10-25-2011, 05:29 PM
so Honda installed something else after you already bought it? Dang. I thought it was an out-of-box option to turn on.

Calvinep3
10-25-2011, 06:11 PM
IDK why replacing your actuators would case the horn to stop working. I'm assuming you connected the pigtails properly. So, I'm thinking a wire got wiggled loose or something.

Factory-installed Honda alarms are installed to beep once during locking and twice during unlocking. I made Honda change it to how you guys are describing it- once after pressing lock twice (within 5 seconds after) and not at all during unlocking.

Good luck with the fix.

My passenger's side actuator went out recently and now my driver's side is on it's way out. :mrolleyes: Bummed.

I noticed it right after installing the actuator. On the second lock press the horn didnt honk. But i was so relived to get it fixed that I left it alone. Could it be the wrong actuator? Bc my neighbor bought it for me. He is a honda mechanic, maybe he got an em2 one?

nmysiismyn
10-25-2011, 07:02 PM
so Honda installed something else after you already bought it? Dang. I thought it was an out-of-box option to turn on.

IDK if it was for all their new vehicles at the time, but they had to make an appointment for me to have an out-of-house installer come to the dealership and install it- even though the alarm was already on the sticker price. It was SO long ago, I can't remember exactly, but I think that was the case for all their new vehicles. :shrug:

After they installed it, they made another appointment for me because I told them that I couldn't stand hearing the horn EVERY single time I locked and unlocked my car.

I don't think he installed anything. I think he just made an adjustment with the wiring or something...

vip...9
11-04-2011, 10:16 AM
Fuuu... mine is pooped as well, so I have to enter the passenger side to open the driver side because the keyhole doesnt work either... i think the bracket inside came off.

nmysiismyn
11-04-2011, 04:38 PM
Fuuu... mine is pooped as well, so I have to enter the passenger side to open the driver side because the keyhole doesnt work either... i think the bracket inside came off.

Damn. That sucks.
My driver's side is only acting up at this point and the few times it has, I've had to enter through the passenger's side too. :tehe:

I replaced my driver's side door in the past cuz I had a super deep gash on it and got a phat deal on a complete door with inner panels, glass, side mirror and all.. I pretty much swapped out everything but the outer handle and lock... SURE wish I would've now. :tehe:

JoelzEP3
03-09-2012, 09:41 AM
Finally have my keyless entry working, thanks to this thread. :thumbu:

pdubski
03-16-2012, 02:53 PM
awesome thread! might need to do this soon :(

AUTiger
03-16-2012, 08:40 PM
used this video today. I have needed to do this for 4 friggen years and even had the replacement. I just got around to it today.

rps.13
04-02-2012, 01:31 AM
Anyone know if the part numbers quoted in this thread differ from LHD and RHD model EP3's???

Trying to find a replacement for a JDM RHD model and I'm unsure if they're different?

NEO_FOLLOWER2
04-06-2012, 07:10 PM
FUCK....i have 1 screw left on my actuator that i cant get off DAMN LOCTITE!

im pretty sure i stripped it trying to get it off by now (i have replacement honda screws with the orange loctite on them)
sry for my language...can anyone give me any advice -_-

EDIT:nvm i figured a way around it...

i got out my mini saw and sawed through my old actuator to get it off...it took like 20 mins...but i got it done

installed new actuator and everything works perfectly again =]

my keyless entry is back! =D

fdnyjon
06-04-2012, 07:49 PM
FINALLY DID MINE TODAY! well the passenger side lol the stupid bolt was getting stripped so it took me two days lol i might do the driver side tomorrow though.. i have so much free time with my car since the clutch is fried and i wont be driving anywhere till i get some more money :( lol

I need to sell some parts that are laying around lol

rpr
08-26-2012, 08:48 AM
I don't what I'm doing wrong, but I've done the stupid drivers side twice. Both times, I pull it all apart, try the new actuator just hanging on the loom and it works. Put the new actuator in, try it, it works. Put *everything* back together, and it stops working, and the actuator doesn't do anything. The passenger and hatch will lock/unlock with both the fob and door switch, but the drivers side does not click or even attempt to open/close. Plus you can't lock it now, the rod will not go up or down. So I take it all apart again, pull everything out, and now the actuator is locked in one position and won't move. I can't understand why *both* actuators do the same thing? As soon as it's buttoned up, it locks up and will not ever work again. I'm about ready to throw in the towel here.

AceEngineer
09-02-2012, 08:56 AM
If the new actuator is locked to one side, it is defective. It should always spring return to center. I recently replaced both actuators with ones I bought off the internet for about $25 each, brand unknown. Within several weeks both of them failed in the same manner i.e. locking to one side or the other. A telltale of this type of failure is that the linkage jams either locked or unlocked and cannot be moved with the manual popup in the door panel i.e. the popup stays up or down and cannot be moved by hand. My next move was to buy the actuators from NAPA for about $40 each. The NAPA actuators were Ecklin brand and they have now operated flawlessly for months.
One thing I noticed about the Ecklin brand actuators vs. the crappy ones was that the crappy actuators had the two halves screwed together with a small cross section o-ring seal much like the OEM ones and the Ecklin brand had the two halves glued together.
One of the failures was a real pain in the #$% for me because it happened on a trip across the states to visit my brother. The drivers door jammed in in the unlocked position so I couldn't lock the car. That forced me to drive nonstop for over 1500 miles because I didn't want to leave my car in a motel or resturant parking lot unlocked. After I got to my brother's and slept for over 12 hours, I went to the local NAPA and got a new actuator and installed it in my brothers shop. My trip home took three days and was much more relaxed.
When you install, be sure to completely test and then retest the actuator before reassembling the door panel. I found it somewhat difficult to get the linkage into the hole in the actuator arm and there is no way to know until you test it both directions (lock and unlock). I had to screw around for over an hour on the drivers side to get the linkage working by removing and reinstalling. Don't forget that the door closed switch must be depressed when testing, I taped mine down temporarily.

Hope this helps,

AceEngineer

AceEngineer
09-02-2012, 09:06 AM
The stuck rod means you have a defective actuator that jams. I did notice that the jammed actuator will unjam sometimes if you strike it sharply. Yours is probably unjamming when you remove it. Test and retest the actuator both directions when you have it out and if it doesn't spring return just once, it is defective.

AceEngineer

irrational
09-13-2012, 09:57 AM
Both of mine are shot! Thanks this guys! Parts ordered.

NERV
01-22-2014, 08:03 AM
I am also having problems with my door lock actuator. I replaced the window regulator and when I put everything back together my door wouldn't lock and unlock. I had noticed it would barely move before so I guess it just went out. I have pulled the actuator out completely but I noticed I can't pull or push the rod up or down unless I also pull on the door handle. Is this normal? My key locks and unlocks the car fine but I would have thought that with the actuator out I would be able to lock and unlock it with the rod that sticks up

SmoothOperator
07-21-2014, 02:52 AM
Coming out of ephatch retirement to thank you all for this thread! Replaced my 02 Drivers Side actuator yesterday, and it's now working like a charm. :mcool:

Grookes
11-07-2014, 12:04 AM
Wow - this thread has been alive for a long time. Round 2 here - passenger actuator died (again) and I was hoping to use this for directions. Cheers!

Project_Ep
03-11-2015, 10:46 AM
Hey guys I'm having a problem with my door locks. My driver actuator wasn't working but passenger worked perfectly never had one problem with it. I got a viper alarm installed and they mentioned to me how my driver actuator wasn't working which I knew already. So the keyless worked good on passenger n hatch but not my driver door. I finally changed my driver actuator yesterday. But now when I tried to lock n unlock from the inside the driver works fine but the passenger stops working at times. I kept playing with it lock n unlock and at times both side don't lock just unlock. And at times both are working fine all within the same 5 minutes or locking n unlocking back n forth. Did I install wrong maybe? I cnt figure out why it's doing that any help will be appreciated.

DM17
11-15-2017, 04:25 PM
bumping an old thread.

Im having trouble with my lock when trying to use the key from the outside. the lock gets stuck and i have to twist the key back and forth a few times. From the inside the lock just wont go down when pressed or using the electric switch.

are these problems from the actuator? or is something else going on?

also i dont have a lock/unlock remote for the key ring. so thats not an option to try.

Nathan
03-31-2018, 07:59 PM
Hi Everyone,

I'm having an issue with my power locks and wanted to see if anyone had any ideas. I wanted to get a second key fob for my car so I had one programmed. Once it was programmed the power locks stopped working, on both the key fob and inside the car on the power lock switch. The hatch will unlock from inside the car if I use the power lock switch but the driver and passenger side will remain locked. The hatch also won't unlock if I use the key fob. I looked through the diagram and it looks like the passenger actuator is wired in series with the hatch. This leads me to think the passenger side actuator is broken. It's just odd how only the power lock button inside the car will unlock the hatch. Since I can get a pair of actuators of Ebay for cheap and since apparently they break like children's toys, I was going to replace them. Before I spend a bunch of time replacing the actuators I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas.

Thank you,

Grookes
09-07-2020, 07:32 PM
And again, but this time with the hatch. Any instructions already built for our trunk?
Coming up on 190k miles; pretty low miles on it these days.