PDA

View Full Version : Knocking sounds....

dragon208
04-29-2008, 08:03 PM
I'm starting to hear a bit of a knocking sound coming from my front right suspension.. can't be the BC N+ coilover's cause it's not wet or whatever and their still new..

I notice i hear the knocking / jumping sound when i go up and down curbs or over speed HUMPS.. lol..
i'm thinking either front sway bar endlinks or ball joints? More so the endlinks, but what do you guys think?

Any recommendations for ball joints and endlinks?

FoReVaPmP
04-29-2008, 08:20 PM
could it be the springs are settling?

How bad is the knocking sound?

dragon208
04-30-2008, 05:20 AM
can't be it's been well over half a year now on those coilover's...

not that bad but i mean it does annoy me.. lol.. i can blast my music and i won't hear it.. or if i had my exhaust i wouldn't hear that either.. lol..

FoReVaPmP
04-30-2008, 05:26 AM
lol....Check the base of the shock to see if there is any liquid on it. It could be that the strut is blown....

02nhbpep3
04-30-2008, 05:28 AM
have you been hearing the same sound since you put them on?

ApexinSi
04-30-2008, 05:34 AM
check the axle, i had the same problem.. it will evenentually get worse and give u crazy vibration.. time to replace.

guy at the shop told me a broken axle will never leave you stranded... however a broke axle left me stranded in my crx...

dragon208
04-30-2008, 04:50 PM
no wetness on the around the shocks.. when i put these coilover's on i had a HKS exhaust so i couldn't really tell.. but i think my ears are sensitive enuff that i notice it's happen before even when i had the exhaust on and coilover.s..

dragon208
05-03-2008, 11:07 PM
ok.. today it poured like crazy and the clunking noise is SUPER loud.. i can roll a bit and turn the steering wheel and it clunks front right..

it'll clunk a bit while the car isn't moving at all when i turn the wheel.. arg..
i notice it's super loud when it raining outside but today it's so loud that my music got override by it.. eRRR.. which annoys me?

ep_hatcher_510
05-03-2008, 11:40 PM
it happens when you turn? i could be the spring binding up.

MR.Pizza
05-03-2008, 11:47 PM
Check that the nuts at the top of your strut towers have not worked themselves loose.

dragon208
05-04-2008, 08:30 AM
it happens when you turn? i could be the spring binding up.

humm.. but it got super loud only yesterday when it was raining? is there a way to stop it.. now thinking it may sound like that... humm...

wil524
05-04-2008, 12:56 PM
See if your lugnuts are tight. You get a knock if they are loose. Or have someone turn the steering wheel while you look at the spring, see if that moves.

clujalolo
05-04-2008, 01:54 PM
check all the bolts, EVERYTHING. Also check you axels. It could be your axels are done.

smoody
05-04-2008, 04:09 PM
Yeah I have this same noise I think, from the front right side. I usually hear the knocking when I hit small holes or bumps. But thats just because I have springs I think my struts are blown but it they say the axle has an effect on it, how do you know if they are broken?

ep3man
05-04-2008, 04:13 PM
struts struts struts.....

ep_hatcher_510
05-04-2008, 05:17 PM
humm.. but it got super loud only yesterday when it was raining? is there a way to stop it.. now thinking it may sound like that... humm...

Well is more of the pop/pinging sound, I'm not sure if that is what you are describing when u said you hear knocking sounds. I had that problem and a little bit of grease on the top and bottom of the spring fixed it. Then again.. it should not be more louder in the rain i think.

dragon208
05-04-2008, 08:23 PM
so this is what happen today.. jacked up the car and took the rim apart...
checked the tie rods, endlinks, ball joints.. they all look good..
so i'm like humm axle? looks good there.. then i look at the spring... humm.. so i gave it a bit of a tug or turn and it moved freely?

i think that's the problem.. i was able to turn it with one hand? so then i look at the locking perch.. they don't like loose or whatever.. but anyways i am gonna bring it to my mechanic and have him take a look and see if he can tighten a bit or raise it a bit so that the locker perch will compress a bit and lock the spring.. i hope that's the problem..

struts were clean no oil or crap

ep_hatcher_510
05-04-2008, 09:08 PM
You got the BC coils right? did you notice if the spring can be moved up and down when u took the wheels off to look at it? maybe the preload has been adjusted wrong on it.

1SiCkEP3
05-04-2008, 10:58 PM
This happened with my k sports and my meagan racing coilover i have now its called spring bind! I can assure u this is the problem megan racing sent me a diagram to take the coilover apart and lube whats called the noise prevention cushions its on the top and bottom of the coilover i took mine aprt and they where all hard and rough once i lubed them the noise stopped when the car is in the air u cant notice it until the weight is applied its not letting the spring turn lube it with valvoline multi purpose its RED it does not wear fast!!!

dragon208
05-05-2008, 05:03 AM
You got the BC coils right? did you notice if the spring can be moved up and down when u took the wheels off to look at it? maybe the preload has been adjusted wrong on it.

humm.. dun't think it really moved up and down much.. barely MUCH.. i can turn it the most..

well definitely try and have my mechanics grease it up tonight!

1SiCkEP3
05-06-2008, 09:13 PM
any update??? hope u got it fixed.... :mbiggrin:

dragon208
05-07-2008, 05:10 AM
any update??? hope u got it fixed.... :mbiggrin:

nope.. i brought it to the mechanics.. and he couldn't find or replicate that sound! ERRRRRRR..
he checked what i already checked.. ball joints, wheel bearings, shock mount, endlinks.. still nothing.. ERRRR
>.<

problem was i co uld of had it replicate saturday/sunday.. however monday and tuesday it seemed quiet or GONE! ERRRR..

Kumar
05-07-2008, 04:37 PM
I know it might seem unlikely to be the culprit but have you checked your motor mounts?

wil524
05-07-2008, 04:50 PM
nope.. i brought it to the mechanics.. and he couldn't find or replicate that sound! ERRRRRRR..
he checked what i already checked.. ball joints, wheel bearings, shock mount, endlinks.. still nothing.. ERRRR
>.<

problem was i co uld of had it replicate saturday/sunday.. however monday and tuesday it seemed quiet or GONE! ERRRR..

So, did it go away after you messed with it? If so, whatever you did fixed it, maybe something was just not lined up right and you messing with it stuck it back in the right spot. I've had loose lugnuts make a knocking sound on me.

dragon208
05-08-2008, 06:06 PM
that's the thing.. i didn't do anything nor did my mechanic.. ARGGGGGGG
it was hard to replicate.. guess the next time it happens it'll have to be pouring rain!