PDA

View Full Version : boost my k20a3

ep3 or wut
04-29-2008, 09:49 PM
hey wass up well im about to buy a turbo kit for my k20a3 stock motor but i dont know which turbo kit to get
i just wanted to ask yall opinion on which is the best turbo kit for a k20a3

Thanks!

Tnhatch03
04-29-2008, 10:01 PM
this is going to be VERY debateable. what are you wanting out of your car?
Cheap, Fast, Reliable - Pick 2. Do NOT jump into a turbo kit just yet. ask questions and gain all the knowledge you can before doing so. that way you will know what you are getting yourself into.

i have the Complete Greddy Kit, with Kpro. i love it! if i could do it over again, i may have done the RevHard Kit. i was worried about passing emissions and bought the Greddy Kit. come to find out, it would not have mattered because i did not pass emissions anyways and had to get around the system.

ep3 or wut
04-29-2008, 10:18 PM
well i just want more speed on my car
so ima change the cat back
headers
intake i have it
and well what else could i do before the turbo

Silver_EP3
04-29-2008, 10:24 PM
If you're stock... some before turbo upgrades would be to beef up your suspension , get stickier tires, new clutch and flywheel combination.

ep3 or wut
04-29-2008, 10:26 PM
ah ok
thanks for the tips

jeffgeezer
04-29-2008, 10:33 PM
suspension and handling first before anything else, i'd say. springs,coilovers,strut/sway bars,wheels n tires. it makes the car more manageable. you'll appreciate it more that way. you'll be able to cut in corners quick. then follow with airflow, basic bolt ons. i/h/cat/exhaust. suspension n airflow could be done simultaneously. then proceed to fuel/engine management, kpro's the best! then you decide whether you want to stay n/a or f/i, or swap an engine. drive train in between, clutch,flywheel,lsd,etc. plan ahead, set your goals. do it in stages. these are just my opinions.

Tnhatch03
04-29-2008, 10:38 PM
key words are to research.

ep3 or wut
04-29-2008, 10:41 PM
thanks dudes

playap07
04-29-2008, 11:16 PM
yup yup! if your going boost though make sure you dont spend your money on an intake and headers! spend you money on the handling and suspen and then a turbo compatible exhaust! i think 70mm is the right size.!? dont quote me on that though! look into it. for the turbo kits out that are out there i have seen greedy =$2500ish w/o intercooler $3000ish with intercoller ect, revhard = w/o kpro is $3100 with kpro is $3799, full race = $4500-5000ish but i think the full race is for full up crazy power! you have to perpare your engine for the boost!

personally i just ordered the revhard with kpro from corsportusa.com i did that because its a good kit that comes with everything and kpro seem pretty damn cheap! plus i really dont have to do internal buildup work with that kit unless im going to go over 10psi if i am correct. theres another dude that just bought a revhard stage2 kit. he gets his car back tomorrow keep an eye on his thread for some info also talk to some people around this forum! they are very very knowlegable! your in the right place buddy! GOOD LUCK:mwink: may the force of boost be with you lol

importiconep3
04-29-2008, 11:26 PM
Just make sure you have enough money before you go turbo... From experience you shouldn't just buy a turbo without having enough money to repair/replace parts I.E. and engine. I bought a greddy turbo kit with my car and have had a lot of problems with it due to the fact the people that I had install it claimed they knew what they were doing and didn't. So first thing is see what turbo would be in your price range, find a shop with a good reputation, and be prepared for anything to happen after that. Other then that though turbo is beautiful can't wait till I get home and drive my baby.

MR.Pizza
04-30-2008, 12:00 AM
I would recommend some kind of brake upgrade at some point. Within a month of having my JRSC my car would shake during braking at highway speeds. So like this.
Replace these items with better components.
tires
brakes
suspension
motor mounts
intake
engine
clutch
transmission
exhaust
ecu
and then boost away....:mbiggrin:

Guardian
04-30-2008, 12:25 AM
wow... dont get into something you dont know anything about.

HEADERS:mrolleyes:

02EP3SI
04-30-2008, 12:45 AM
just buy my supercharger kit

MR.Pizza
04-30-2008, 12:46 AM
wow... dont get into something you dont know anything about.

HEADERS:mrolleyes:

:clap2:

epslow
04-30-2008, 02:40 AM
just buy my supercharger kit

you could just do that it will be reliable and fast. imo.

damn i miss my jrsc :mcry: :mcry: :mcry:

blueshark123
04-30-2008, 07:57 AM
well i just want more speed on my car
so ima change the cat back
headers
intake i have it
and well what else could i do before the turbo

You need to do some more research before you even consider going turbo. You go realize that the header (you can only put one on a k series) and intake will be removed once you go turbo. Also the catback might also have to go depending on the size.

SyckSiR
04-30-2008, 08:24 AM
Just make sure you have enough money before you go turbo... From experience you shouldn't just buy a turbo without having enough money to repair/replace parts I.E. and engine. I bought a greddy turbo kit with my car and have had a lot of problems with it due to the fact the people that I had install it claimed they knew what they were doing and didn't. So first thing is see what turbo would be in your price range, find a shop with a good reputation, and be prepared for anything to happen after that. Other then that though turbo is beautiful can't wait till I get home and drive my baby.

really if u wanna go forced induction you should have the ability to do work on your car yourself, unless u are without a budget and have tons of cash. If you cant do your own installs/repairs then you would be better off with the s/c kit as there is a lot less maintenance. I have the greddy kit, and its great, its fun and all but i would like to upgrade to full race in a year or so. Learn about boost and building and repairing a turbo system before jumping into something that you are unable to fix on your own. Again, unless u got deep pockets...or can afford a lot of downtime. Remember also with a turbo u are gonna need to upgrade your clutch, brakes and tires. Would also be a good idea to get an lsd, and suspension upgrades. as long as ur exhaust is 68mm or more you should be fine with a turbo/s/c system

jeffgeezer
04-30-2008, 04:27 PM
I would recommend some kind of brake upgrade at some point. Within a month of having my JRSC my car would shake during braking at highway speeds. So like this.
Replace these items with better components.
tires
brakes
suspension
motor mounts
intake
engine
clutch
transmission
exhaust
ecu
and then boost away....:mbiggrin:
yeah, brakes are really important as well. you cant go fast if you cant slow down n stop. or else you'll end up hitting something.

dobbs02si
04-30-2008, 05:07 PM
Key phrase with boost is 'Supporting Mods'. The more power, the more crap you need to keep up with it. Brakes/tires and clutch are top prioritys if you boost it. Ive learned the hard way.. Save yourself the headache and read up on this more.

Guardian
04-30-2008, 05:17 PM
Key phrase with boost is 'Supporting Mods'. The more power, the more crap you need to keep up with it. Brakes/tires and clutch are top prioritys if you boost it. Ive learned the hard way.. Save yourself the headache and read up on this more.

congrats on 50 post... i got shit i want to sell

silver02
04-30-2008, 05:52 PM
Best kit IMO is the cybernation w/guardian. I think there is a really nice user one in the classified section!:mangel::mwink:

dobbs02si
04-30-2008, 07:28 PM
congrats on 50 post... i got shit i want to sell

LMAO Yeah I know..

<--I need those gone so I can move

Best kit IMO is the cybernation w/guardian. I think there is a really nice user one in the classified section!:mangel::mwink:

I love my kit and highly recommend it for the ease of use

playap07
04-30-2008, 07:36 PM
LMAO Yeah I know..

<--I need those gone so I can move

I love my kit and highly recommend it for the ease of use

whats so good about guardian! is it way better than kpro?

ep3 or wut
04-30-2008, 08:35 PM
hehehhe thanks guys =)

Guardian
04-30-2008, 08:40 PM
whats so good about guardian! is it way better than kpro?

hell no. but it comes with his kit so you wont need to throw down another 900 for k-pro until you can afford to do so.

playap07
04-30-2008, 09:21 PM
hell no. but it comes with his kit so you wont need to throw down another 900 for k-pro until you can afford to do so.

ooooooo okay got ya.

Guardian
04-30-2008, 09:43 PM
ooooooo okay got ya.

its better then emanage

playap07
04-30-2008, 09:51 PM
its better then emanage

o alright! they should come out with a engine management system that automatically tunes its self! you just input what you want your car to run for and it will automatically adjust everything to that specific setting or cali! its so easy a 13 year old can do it!(computer basics) that would be a wonderful program!

SyckSiR
04-30-2008, 10:06 PM
o alright! they should come out with a engine management system that automatically tunes its self! you just input what you want your car to run for and it will automatically adjust everything to that specific setting or cali! its so easy a 13 year old can do it!(computer basics) that would be a wonderful program!

im sure there are 13 year olds that can or could tune kpro like a pro :mbiggrin:

It just takes practice. You sound like someone who likes automatics....:mbiggrin:

nightbear
04-30-2008, 10:33 PM

i tottaly agree i was gonna say get the cybernation kit.

Guardian
04-30-2008, 10:36 PM

guardian does tune itself

playap07
05-01-2008, 12:21 AM
im sure there are 13 year olds that can or could tune kpro like a pro :mbiggrin:

It just takes practice. You sound like someone who likes automatics....:mbiggrin:

nah never that! i like my stick shift thank you! all day every day!

playap07
05-01-2008, 12:22 AM
guardian does tune itself

how come kpro cant do that! what the hell?

Guardian
05-01-2008, 08:52 AM
how come kpro cant do that! what the hell?

cause you can tune it to make more power. guardian just runs rich to be safe
it doesnt tune ignition and you can change rev limit and no launch limiter

SyckSiR
05-01-2008, 09:18 AM
nah never that! i like my stick shift thank you! all day every day!

but u want kpro to tune itself......lazy ppl like auto's :mredface:

playap07
05-01-2008, 11:38 PM
but u want kpro to tune itself......lazy ppl like auto's :mredface:

alright alright i take it back! i only said that cause i dont know how to tune kpro myself!:smash:

Guardian
05-01-2008, 11:50 PM
alright alright i take it back! i only said that cause i dont know how to tune kpro myself!:smash:

you can buy my kit, it comes with guardian

SyckSiR
05-01-2008, 11:54 PM

practice practice practice.......:horn:

playap07
05-02-2008, 12:05 AM
you can buy my kit, it comes with guardian

yea i was looking at it! if i hadnt bout the rev hard kit with kpro i would have jumped right on your kit! if i dont get my kit within the next 3 weeks im going to cancel my order and buy yours if you still have it! do you have any lil mods that your selling?

playap07
05-02-2008, 12:05 AM
practice practice practice.......:horn:

yes sir! i need a good teacher though!

Guardian
05-02-2008, 12:21 AM
yea i was looking at it! if i hadnt bout the rev hard kit with kpro i would have jumped right on your kit! if i dont get my kit within the next 3 weeks im going to cancel my order and buy yours if you still have it! do you have any lil mods that your selling?

no.

playap07
05-02-2008, 01:10 AM
damn:mcry:! alright!