PDA

View Full Version : Some info about the Jackson Racing Supercharger from the SEMA show.

jaydub
11-08-2002, 09:54 PM
Jackson Racing Supercharger System (http://www.sema.org/showcase/semashow_image.asp?ID=28725)

YUM.

02SilverSiHB
11-08-2002, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by jaydub
Jackson Racing Supercharger System (http://www.sema.org/showcase/semashow_image.asp?ID=28725)

YUM.
That image they show of the kit, makes it look like a snap to install :)
But for only about 190 to the wheels after install, it better be cheap

jaydub
11-08-2002, 10:08 PM
Assuming 18% drivetrain power loss, that means 130HP at the wheels. If the kit bumps it to 190, that's a pretty nice increase!

civic hatch boi
11-08-2002, 10:09 PM
190whp??// wtf that's whack!!! if they charge $3k for that.. wut a rip. it should be like $2k at the most.

jaydub
11-08-2002, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by civic hatch boi
190whp??// wtf that's whack!!! if they charge $3k for that.. wut a rip. it should be like $2k at the most.

well wtf are you expecting? Horsepower doesn't come cheap. :rolleyes:

02SilverSiHB
11-08-2002, 10:14 PM
I've been hearing some rumors the "kit" will cost 5k, not worth imo. I emailed mike, lets see what he says, most likely a, would don't have a price on that yet, not till 2005 :rolleyes:

MugenR
11-08-2002, 10:35 PM
5K is fucking crazy!!:eek:

If it were around 3K I would get it, but I am holding out for a turbo kit!

Drew

civic hatch boi
11-08-2002, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by jaydub

well wtf are you expecting? Horsepower doesn't come cheap. :rolleyes:

well... for the same money , u can get a LOT more hp from a turbo. so don't roll ur eyes at me.. fag

02SilverSiHB
11-08-2002, 11:09 PM
so don't roll ur eyes at me.. fag
now that was definitely called for :rolleyes:

IceD out N CALI
11-08-2002, 11:13 PM
190 at the wheels sounds pretty good, but isnt there a turbo thats in the works for our car?

jaydub
11-09-2002, 09:14 AM

well... for the same money , u can get a LOT more hp from a turbo. so don't roll ur eyes at me.. fag

Will your parents let you put a turbo on the car, since you're obviously not old enough to pay for it yourself? Go back to ClubSi if you're going to sling mud, that's not what EPHatch is all about.

And anyway, NOBODY knows what the price is, so arguing about having a turbo on it is a moot point right now.

smokincivic
11-09-2002, 09:45 AM
Can we also not forget that it seems that included in this price (whatever the price is) it seems that the answer to our return fuel line is INCLUDED in this kit. Or at least thats the impression I got from the website, thats a little bonus over some of the Turbo kits that are coming out

natesi
11-09-2002, 11:18 AM
A 190whp would only be if you did no other mods, right?

Like if you had a CAI, replaced the midpipe, did the intake manifold gasket thing (cooler temps would help run more boost, right?), and a header.... wouldn't a person have *at least* 210whp then?

Also, assuming someone added a supercharger, how much would it affect the life of the tranny and engine? I'm sure they would wear out faster, but would it shorten their life significantly? Would we need a high performance clutch? I'm assuming you're not racing the car and thrashing on it every day.

How heavy is the supercharger? Will it throw the balance of the car off? Should a person relocate the battery to the trunk?

What warranty items would this void? Honda would still have to replace sensors, and junk like that, right? But it would probably void actual engine problems, I'm guessing.

Sorry for all the questions, but I would seriously consider this in a few years, so I'd like to know as much as possible.

Acidburn
11-09-2002, 12:15 PM
Wouldn't putting in a supercharger decrease the longevity and reliablity of the car? I mean, if I put a super charger in would I still be able to drive a long ass distance (lets say Cali to NY) anytime I wanted to? And will the car run great even after 100 K miles on it - with a supercharger. :)

CleanBlackSi02
11-09-2002, 02:41 PM
I'd like to see some pricing on that bad boy.

RocketHatch
11-09-2002, 03:08 PM
I have been in a few supercharged honda one of them is a S2000. They didn't impress !!!!! Do yourself a faver wait till someone makes a turbo kit if you want a real ride. The turbo will be much easier to make it go faster when you need more power.

Az02Si
11-09-2002, 03:35 PM
I drove my 9 psi JRSC Si from Az to illinois a FEW times,and got over 40mpg most of the time.Keep this in mind...The blower has a bypass valve that opens and dosent let the car produce boost at a steady cruise.Just like driving an NA car when you got the cruise control on!

Az02Si
11-09-2002, 03:37 PM
Sure Rocket a charger wont make as much power as a turbo,but if you want a SMOOTH powerband its the way to go IMHO........Nice,simple reliable kit,mine was GREAT,and i showed MANY a mustang/cobra what civic tail lights look like ;)

Joebeau
11-09-2002, 04:41 PM
A 40% increase is that at the crank or wheels? With a loss of 18% due to drive train Its about 183-184 hp at the wheels. So we would have about the same hp as a 2k2 integra typeR.

02SilverSiHB
11-09-2002, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by natesi
A 190whp would only be if you did no other mods, right?

Like if you had a CAI, replaced the midpipe, did the intake manifold gasket thing (cooler temps would help run more boost, right?), and a header.... wouldn't a person have *at least* 210whp then?

Also, assuming someone added a supercharger, how much would it affect the life of the tranny and engine? I'm sure they would wear out faster, but would it shorten their life significantly? Would we need a high performance clutch? I'm assuming you're not racing the car and thrashing on it every day.

How heavy is the supercharger? Will it throw the balance of the car off? Should a person relocate the battery to the trunk?

What warranty items would this void? Honda would still have to replace sensors, and junk like that, right? But it would probably void actual engine problems, I'm guessing.

Sorry for all the questions, but I would seriously consider this in a few years, so I'd like to know as much as possible.
Adding bolt ons and a good hondata system and you may see 250whp or a little more, just depends on the mods. But over boosting the supercharger can result in destroying the charger. It will most likely run at 6lbs of boost (that's what the other systems did from JR). JR will probably provide a 8lb boost up grade, and anything over that would void the warranty

Your clutch will go eventually, when depends on how you drive, so upgrading to a higher performance clutch and pressure plate would be a must

I'd say the JRSC I had on my EX was about 30lbs max, maybe 20lb at the least. No it won't thow anything off.

As for voiding the Honda factory warranty, most likely. But some dealerships won't void the warranty, if they install it....but that's mad cash there. An example I had.....I had a JRSC with 98,000 miles and my tranny went (popped outta 2nd and 3rd, grinded like crazy, real bad situation). I had an extended warranty. I also had a stock tranny. They fixed the tranny under warranty and only charged me the install of 300 bucks for my clutchmasters stage 2 clutch and pressure plate. never had a problem with the tranny after that....the reason I had one before was not because of the JRSC.

On mine, no sensor were replaced, but the IAT (Intake Air Temperature sensor was modified to send a signal to the ecu that it was a low degree of temp to open the injectors up for more fuel during boost).

All in all, a JRSC can be very reliable, only if it is install professionally and tuned professionally.

02SilverSiHB
11-09-2002, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by Acidburn
Wouldn't putting in a supercharger decrease the longevity and reliablity of the car? I mean, if I put a super charger in would I still be able to drive a long ass distance (lets say Cali to NY) anytime I wanted to? And will the car run great even after 100 K miles on it - with a supercharger. :)
my car had a JRSC and it had 114,000 miles on it. But the engine went due to a bad install and tuning. not JRSC fault. Also the JRSC started falling apart because it was over boosted at 10lbs. Now this was on a SOHC motor. It seems that the B16 series motors with their JRSC were able to handle more boost. If you're wanting to boost a lot, don't go JRSC, imo a turbo is the way to go if you want to boost high. But I must admit, I miss the sound and power of the JRSC. It was amazing, especially beating a Mustang GT :)

I had about 20k miles I guess with my JRSC on my car. I could go long distances and was fine. The JRSC doesn't always put on boost, it only comes on when you hit the gas.

02SilverSiHB
11-09-2002, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Az02Si
Sure Rocket a charger wont make as much power as a turbo,but if you want a SMOOTH powerband its the way to go IMHO........Nice,simple reliable kit,mine was GREAT,and i showed MANY a mustang/cobra what civic tail lights look like ;)
yeah it comes down to what each individual wants. That's why with my attitude I may go turbo, unless I change my mind and want to stay simple and go with a JRSC

SmoothOperator
11-09-2002, 07:07 PM
I've heard a lot of bad things about JR. Isn't "Vortex" (I may be confusing the name) a better supercharger manufacturer?
As for turbos...a friend of mine, met the guy in Quebec with the Turboed EP. He explained how it was set up to me...but it was over my head. I'll see if I can get him to post the info here.

Joebeau
11-09-2002, 07:09 PM
Hey does anyone know what the max boost our stock internals can take reliably. Maybe only need head gasket and valve train upgrade for serious boost?

02SilverSiHB
11-09-2002, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by SmoothOperator
I've heard a lot of bad things about JR. Isn't "Vortex" (I may be confusing the name) a better supercharger manufacturer?
As for turbos...a friend of mine, met the guy in Quebec with the Turboed EP. He explained how it was set up to me...but it was over my head. I'll see if I can get him to post the info here. hey, vortech is better, imo. JRSC makes boost so sudden that the car detonates/pings and leans out. It takes some fuel management upgrades to keep that from happening. I've seen a lot of people complain about that issue with JRSC on www.clubsi.com
Vortech said no way on making a supercharger for our car....I bet they'll change their minds soon.
The vortech doesn't give the boost too sudden. Also it seems the vortex gives more power. The owner of clubsi....SiRacer get like over 300whp on his 99 Si. It's pretty bad ass
Edit: you screwed me up :D it's vortech not vortex :p

IceD out N CALI
11-09-2002, 07:40 PM
300 whp......dayum:o

02SilverSiHB
11-09-2002, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by IceD out N CALI
300 whp......dayum:o
330whp to be exact:
here's a little thread, it's short, but it seems the vortech is better: http://forums.clubsi.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB12&Number=1129943&Forum=UBB12&Words=vortech%20vs&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=1129059

02SilverSiHB
11-09-2002, 07:52 PM
oh heres another little thing...I'm a nut case, I'll stop after this :D
http://www.superchargersonline.com/techarticles_detail.asp?RecordID=3

natesi
11-09-2002, 08:13 PM
Will we need a higher rev limit with the supercharger?

ssvr6
11-09-2002, 11:17 PM
40% is 40%. Be it at the wheels or crank. I'd get it. Roots based chargers are a simple install. Easy to maintain and perfect for this kind of car. I like it beause it's just enough for the street and if it's $3k, perfect for the pocket. Nitrous is the only other mod that you can 60hp for less. Turbo is too much work. Just not the direction I'd like to go.

I'd love to try this out.

Steve

natesi
11-09-2002, 11:34 PM
Adding a super charger is a good 6-8 hour project, right? If I had to hire a mechanic to do that, the labor would KILL my budget. I need to start making friends who have garages!!!

Also, someone said something about getting a bad install and tuning. What's there to tune, doesn't the supercharger company do all that for you? What's there to adjust/mess up on the install

greenguy
11-10-2002, 01:26 AM
with good engine managment (i.e: tec-II) you'll be safe. This is done by a tuning shop that specializes in imports. Check your yellow pages or go to your local drag strip on import night and ask around. people are usually informative and will steer you in the right direction on where to go, who to talk to and what to stay away from!
Good Luck!

ssvr6
11-10-2002, 07:23 AM
You should be able to run stock engine management with this kit. You're average "Joe" should be able to install this. I know I'd do it on my own.

Steve

02SilverSiHB
11-10-2002, 09:53 AM
Will we need a higher rev limit with the supercharger?
no

cbecker333
11-11-2002, 07:04 AM

I said it before and I'll say it again. Sometimes its too damn easy to make enemies around here.

Way to impress all of us with your intelligence and vocabulary.

atl-si
11-11-2002, 08:04 AM
For about $3K....hmmmm....40 whp......hmmmm......sounds not too good but JRSC is pretty reliable. I heard that some dealerships install the JRSC. Maybe if mine does I will lean toward supering my EP.

AJWUZHERE
11-11-2002, 11:22 PM
pics of the JRSC on the si and the rsx here (http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-article?article_id=51007&page_number=4)

02SilverSiHB
11-11-2002, 11:24 PM
ah, I just remembered another reason I don't like the JRSC....the damn belt driven crapola! It squeals and squeals and snaps and snaps. You tighten it, and doesn't squeal for a month, later on it squeals some more and then snaps and then you have to put a new one on, not an adventure either.

IceD out N CALI
11-11-2002, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB
ah, I just remembered another reason I don't like the JRSC....the damn belt driven crapola! It squeals and squeals and snaps and snaps. You tighten it, and doesn't squeal for a month, later on it squeals some more and then snaps and then you have to put a new one on, not an adventure either.

did Jackson Racing take care of that problem by now?

02SilverSiHB
11-11-2002, 11:31 PM

did Jackson Racing take care of that problem by now?
well, by looking at that belt, it looks a lot bigger, therefore more grip.

Did you read what it says at the bottom!
oh boy!:
Note that the reduced clearances in the SI required a different mounting approach. A little bird told us that Jackson is working with Hondata to offer an integrated ECU solution for the K-series - bravo!

IceD out N CALI
11-11-2002, 11:35 PM
thats sweet,hondadata and JRSC teamed together-the possibilites:D

02SilverSiHB
11-11-2002, 11:36 PM
thats sweet,hondadata and JRSC teamed together-the possibilites:D
now that actually makes me want to go back with JRSC!

natesi
11-11-2002, 11:42 PM
Seeing the pics makes me want one BADDER!!!

Is that a word?

IceD out N CALI
11-11-2002, 11:48 PM
Seeing the pics makes me want one BADDER!!!

Is that a word?

I know how u feel, i only hope that it works out without any problems:)

ssvr6
11-12-2002, 07:15 AM
To be quite honest, I've cotemplating nitrous ever since I saw Miami's times. However, I also remember (from experience) what it's like to race someone and run out (or already be out) of nitrous. I like the idea of power being available all the time. AND if I can have a custom ECU from Hondata in the process (one that will be tuned for my SC and my mods) than that sounds better.

My sights are now set on the new JRSC. It makes sense for me. Easy to install, tuned by professionals, and hopefully reasonably priced.

I can't wait for final prices.

Steve

Gibhunter
11-12-2002, 08:11 AM
And the dyno results.

ssvr6
11-12-2002, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by Gibhunter
And the dyno results.

That too! :p

Steve

CleanBlackSi02
11-12-2002, 08:51 AM
If they can only make the pricing reasonable... If enough of us buy a JRSC for our cars, they will probably come cheaply.

jaydub
11-12-2002, 09:12 AM
:D I love when i can make the forum get excited!

mixedupneko
11-12-2002, 09:26 AM
on our cars with the JRSC how much HP do u think it will produce around stock ? and what 1/4miles times will we be looking at ?

neko

yomamaInMySi
11-12-2002, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by CleanBlackSi02
If they can only make the pricing reasonable... If enough of us buy a JRSC for our cars, they will probably come cheaply.

Actually on the contrary, if JR is the only company out there with a SC for a while, they'll jack up the price (but under price it a bit under a turbo system), because there's not competition, thus more demand, higher price more profit for the company. And since there's no competition they can afford to manipulate the market and control it, but only if there's no other manufacturer out there.

So if they're the only company with a SC, the less we buy (low demand), the more incline they'd be to lower the price. This is basic economy.

cbecker333
11-12-2002, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by yomamaInMySi
So if they're the only company with a SC, the less we buy (low demand), the more incline they'd be to lower the price. This is basic economy.

Along those same lines, theres talk about a JRSC/Hondata ECU combination being sold. Hondata's charge to re-program your ECU is already ASStronomical in my opinion. Yes, they spent the R&D coming up with the fuel/timing maps, but it is so easy to flash a chip these days....$600? come on...

So, my concern is the hondata ECU/JRSC will be too expensive but I will of course pay the price because I am a needy hoser. Same reason I paid 2k more than I should have on my new EP in April...19,440

02-sir
11-12-2002, 10:18 AM
hytech exhaust is also working on a kit (well it's for the RSX but hopefully they make one that will fit in the SI). They are definitely working with Hondata and their system incorporates an intercooler. $600 may seem pricey for a simple re-flash, but they have huge development costs and right now they're the only ones that can do it.
Well worth it IMO.

yomamaInMySi
11-12-2002, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by 02-sir
hytech exhaust is also working on a kit (well it's for the RSX but hopefully they make one that will fit in the SI). They are definitely working with Hondata and their system incorporates an intercooler. $600 may seem pricey for a simple re-flash, but they have huge development costs and right now they're the only ones that can do it.
Well worth it IMO.

See this proves my point. Since Hondata are the only ones (right now, not next year or tomorrow) able to do it and they know they are, they will charge what ever they think is economically profitable to do it. And people will pay because they have no choice, they (Hondata) control the price regardless of demand.

cbecker333
11-12-2002, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by yomamaInMySi

See this proves my point. Since Hondata are the only ones (right now, not next year or tomorrow) able to do it and they know they are, they will charge what ever they think is economically profitable to do it. And people will pay because they have no choice, they (Hondata) control the price regardless of demand.

Yep, this is a bad thing. You always pay more to be first.