PDA

View Full Version : Anybody got a coilover install or tie rod end change DIY

liquid cooled
04-30-2008, 07:19 AM
Getting ready to install my flexs as soon as I have a progress rear sway, so is there a DYI or was it lost in the crash, did a bit of searching with negative results.

Anybody that can help me out or give me a run down of things to do, i have the service manual.

specialblend154
04-30-2008, 07:32 AM
i am sure that some of your local ep'ers would love to help you out with the install. Its not too tough at all but you are definitly going to need an extra set of hands. I would post in your local chapter and see if anyone with experience would be willing to help you out on a saturday for pizza and beer.

FoReVaPmP
04-30-2008, 07:34 AM
:msmile: pizza+beer=GOOD

Nitrofaint
04-30-2008, 08:03 AM
:msmile: pizza+beer=GOOD

pizza + beer + not paying attention = popping out the axle :mmad:

My suggestion or steps to having a successful install is having:

1) The right tools
2) Plenty of time
3) A buddy (no not your flech light..I'm talking about a helper here.)

My process
1) Remove wheels
2) Jack car and place jack stand just under the wheel hub (barely touching - to support the axle) This is very important, you do not want the axle to pop out. I repeat YOU DO NOT WANT THE AXLE TO POP OUT!!!!
3) Remove brake lines and move them out of the way
4) Remove the Tie rod and lca bolt connected to the suspension.
5) Proceed to open up the 3 bolts at the top plate (connecting the suspension to the body) while supporting it's weight.
6) MAKE SURE THE AXLE AND HUB STAY IN THE SAME SPOT as much as possible while removing the shock/spring assembly.
7) Now you can install the new piece in reverse order.

These are some crude directions, but it's what I recall from the top of my head. I am sure someone will be able to give you a legitimate link, but I figured I would clue you in on some steps. Hope this helps a little!

SyckSiR
04-30-2008, 08:16 AM
pizza + beer + not paying attention = popping out the axle :mmad:

My suggestion or steps to having a successful install is having:

1) The right tools
2) Plenty of time
3) A buddy (no not your flech light..I'm talking about a helper here.)

My process
1) Remove wheels
2) Jack car and place jack stand just under the wheel hub (barely touching - to support the axle) This is very important, you do not want the axle to pop out. I repeat YOU DO NOT WANT THE AXLE TO POP OUT!!!!
3) Remove brake lines and move them out of the way
4) Remove the Tie rod and lca bolt connected to the suspension.
5) Proceed to open up the 3 bolts at the top plate (connecting the suspension to the body) while supporting it's weight.
6) MAKE SURE THE AXLE AND HUB STAY IN THE SAME SPOT as much as possible while removing the shock/spring assembly.
7) Now you can install the new piece in reverse order.

These are some crude directions, but it's what I recall from the top of my head. I am sure someone will be able to give you a legitimate link, but I figured I would clue you in on some steps. Hope this helps a little!

hehe, i would suggest jacking it up before removing the wheels but thats just me!! :mbiggrin:

And the axle popping out isnt really that big of a deal....it takes no time to pop them back in, just a little patience and a dead blow hammer.....:peace:

Nitrofaint
05-02-2008, 06:20 AM
hehe, i would suggest jacking it up before removing the wheels but thats just me!! :mbiggrin:

And the axle popping out isnt really that big of a deal....it takes no time to pop them back in, just a little patience and a dead blow hammer.....:peace:

If he is taking off the wheels without jacking up the car, he has a more severe problems than changing his suspension. :msmile:

Popping my axle was the worst thing I ever did. It didn't help that I absolutely hurt my situation by rotating my assembly to fit it. I had to take off my LCAs to re-align the internal bearing ring. Why? Because I spent one half of the day trying to remove the hub from the LCA and couldn
t because it was stuck. What a bitch! Took me all day to figure everything out. What a waste of time and energy that was. But you are right that if it does pop you can usually put it back in. Although I wouldn't use a hammer, you might damage the bearing ring. FYI

mustclime
05-02-2008, 06:32 AM
My record is 58 minutes if the lower rear shock bolts are not frozen.....you might want to brake those loose first....:mrolleyes:

RedSiBaron
05-02-2008, 06:43 AM
heads up on useful info...when popping the tie rod ends, make sure you use a flat screw to put pressure on the tapered end of the tie rod, you dont want to use somethign thats going to screw up the threads or deform the rod...:mwink:

just tighten it down good, dont over do it, you just need to get pressure on it, then nail that puppy (the puller) with a compound or deadblow hammer...if thats not doin it, switch to a metal hammer to put a little more shock into the blow...ive found the tie rods on the ep to be very cooperative...they should come out

(i didnt read all the other posts, so if someone already posted a DIY on teh tie rod, sorry, just my 2 cents)

MR.Pizza
05-02-2008, 08:28 AM
God the axles popping out sucked.

MOOGEN
05-02-2008, 09:05 AM
You could do it by yourself... Its really simple, you just need to have the right tools. By these instructions given, if your still not sure then I would suggest taking your car to a professional shop or a friend who knows their way around a car. Fixing cars is a fun hobby but could get dangerous real fast. just my.02. GL

liquid cooled
05-07-2008, 06:01 AM
^ ive got a couple buddies who have put on probably 20 sets of coilovers over the years coming over to help me out with that and my brake install so its all good just have to make sure i have all the parts i need here.

MOOGEN
05-08-2008, 10:15 AM
^ ive got a couple buddies who have put on probably 20 sets of coilovers over the years coming over to help me out with that and my brake install so its all good just have to make sure i have all the parts i need here.

then you won't have any issues. :mcool:

Donie__C
11-07-2010, 10:22 AM
help :(
oh god... having a nightmare of a weekend... decided to refit original suspension for the winter to replace my HSD coils. long story gave up after one corner trying to refit the lowered suspension, seems like the axle has popped out (i stupidly didnt read this first and didnt support the hub) any ideas on how you go about getting it back in :( i read it takes patience but could be a nightmare :(

ps. (stupid question alert) what is the tie rod end, is that what connects to the steering? i just took the cotter pin out and one hammer upwards and popped out, is this ok to refit, hammer a little down and use the bolt to pull it down and then put in a new cotter pin?

any help apprecaited!! what a weekend, acheieved nothing except now i have an undrivable car with the axle popped out!! :(

Donie__C
11-07-2010, 11:43 AM
help :(
oh god... having a nightmare of a weekend... decided to refit original suspension for the winter to replace my HSD coils. long story gave up after one corner trying to refit the lowered suspension, seems like the axle has popped out (i stupidly didnt read this first and didnt support the hub) any ideas on how you go about getting it back in :( i read it takes patience but could be a nightmare :(

ps. (stupid question alert) what is the tie rod end, is that what connects to the steering? i just took the cotter pin out and one hammer upwards and popped out, is this ok to refit, hammer a little down and use the bolt to pull it down and then put in a new cotter pin?

any help apprecaited!! what a weekend, acheieved nothing except now i have an undrivable car with the axle popped out!! :(

Phew panic averted... the axle popped back in after alot of patience and trying... magic!

i see what you mean tho, need new tie rod ends, thread seems to be damaged (probably from me hitting them with a hammer)

forums like this are a life saver!!

Guardian
11-07-2010, 03:21 PM
You need a pitman arm puller, like 5 bucks at auto zone or you can rent it, so next time you don't damage your $30ea. tie rod ends.

cjohnst
11-09-2010, 06:57 AM
I just put my front coilovers on, and I don't quite know how to get the tie rod ends back in the hole haha... (that's what she said)

Can I just use a c-clamp to apply pressure so I don't smash it, or is there a better idea?

willy_akino
11-16-2010, 03:27 AM
axle r easy to pop back in just use a spare tire n turn it while ur pushing it in

McTaggart34
11-16-2010, 08:07 AM
Are these axles much harder then other cars ? I v done many front axle drive shafts and they have never been hard at all. I need to change my passengers axle when my car comes out of storage.

-Josh

eptwah
11-22-2010, 04:37 PM
Are these axles much harder then other cars ? I v done many front axle drive shafts and they have never been hard at all. I need to change my passengers axle when my car comes out of storage.

-Josh

not at all. take the wheel off. disconnect the hub from the strut. I would disconnect the speed sensor so it doesnt get damaged. pull the hub down toward the ground and u should be able to shimmy the hub around and it will pop out. be careful of the cv joint popping out