PDA

View Full Version : General Tire Exclaim UHP tires

epshtielsl
04-30-2008, 08:18 AM
Well, since the negative camber in the rear basically ate my tires down to slicks, I decided it was time to get some new rubber. Driving the car in its current state was down right dangerous. Since I bought my old Yokohama AVS ES100s from www.tirerack.com, I decided that that would be a good place to start looking.

I found out that ES100s are no longer made in the 205/55/15 size I wanted for my 15'' stockies. The Yokohama S.Drives were a bit more than I could spend as I was broke. I started reading some of the rankings/reviews for Ultra High Performance Summer tires and was surprised what the #1 pick was. I had never heard of General Tire before but being ranked #1 in the category AND being the cheapest in that specific size at $66/tire, I had to try them out.

NTB wanted $225 to mount/balance my tires, Goodyear wanted $120. I laughed and went to Walmart and got all four mounted/balanced for $45. After breaking them in, I hit up my favorite twisty road. Man I had not realized how bad my tires were until then. The ride was sooo much smoother than before. The tires gripped hard and let you know when they were on the verge of breaking loose. I would say they gripped better than then Yokohamas. They were MUCH quiter than my old ES100s (my main complaint about those tires). My only complaint about them is that the sidewalls are kinda soft. They are great for daily driving because the ride is so smooth, but when driving hard the soft sidewalls allow for a bit of body roll.

Anyone else try these tires? Any info/feedback would be awesome. I've only had them for about 700 miles so far.

MugsyTheGr8
04-30-2008, 08:58 AM
ive heard the uhp arent too responsive. do you find that at all when pushing them?

uneekazn1
04-30-2008, 09:24 AM
they arent that bad i had them on my car never had a problem.. good tread life on that is a plus. bout to switch to s.drives.. on the other hand they're good for the price they sell'em for..

epshtielsl
04-30-2008, 11:31 AM
ive heard the uhp arent too responsive. do you find that at all when pushing them?

Yeah, feels kinda lofty? The grip is there though, just not as sharp as the ES100s when they were new. Prolly the sidewalls. Still a good DD tire.

MugsyTheGr8
04-30-2008, 12:40 PM
Yeah, feels kinda lofty? The grip is there though, just not as sharp as the ES100s when they were new. Prolly the sidewalls. Still a good DD tire.

the way it was explained to me was the tires tread style gave it that characteristic. i agree 100% with you though, for the price, they kick ass.

FCobra94
04-30-2008, 01:41 PM
Hmm. Good review!

I couldn't imagine driving on anything with a softer sidewall than the ES100's though....I had to step up to the RS2's to remedy that problem :mredface:

dragon208
04-30-2008, 04:47 PM
driving on these daily now that i am in summer mode..
they grip well when their warmed up a bit.. their medium soft but quiet ride..

.colin
04-30-2008, 04:55 PM
i have them, they are good for the price and they are long lasting. they make my car feel kinda floaty though which i don't like.

BigBurch422
05-01-2008, 06:49 AM
i just got mine put on last week with my new rims
i love them, cant go wrong for the price
but i do agree about the "floaty" feeling of the softer sidewalls
other than that they perform great :mwink: