PDA

View Full Version : Should I spring for the 5 lug conversion?????

mrpotatohead
04-30-2008, 11:06 PM
OK so i'm looking around and i'm thinking about the 5 lug conversion. Is it really worth it? Do you think i should do it? I found one from a 2002 rsx type s for 450 for a full front and rear swap. Is that a decent price and should i do it?
thanks so much,
james

56chevydan
04-30-2008, 11:30 PM
If you're going to run the type s setup in front you're going to have to run the larger type s axles also. Your stock axles are a smaller spline.
The easiest conversion is the base model rsx, which is a direct fitment. You can even run your stock axles up front.
In the rear all you need are the 5 lug hubs, dust caps and rotors. You can use your existing calipers and emergency brake cables. Base model RSX, RSX type s and '04/'05 EP3 are all the same.

fugenpower
05-01-2008, 12:08 AM
u should definetly do it. you cant beat the price. swapping to a base rsx 5 lug is kinda pointless unless there are a set of wheels you want and it only comes in the 5 lug pattern. the base rsx has the same (front) breaking power as your current setup. plus your really setting yourself up if you ever plan to get the infamous k20a2. i see soom many guys who get big bremo, rotora, willwood brake kits and i think to myself is your car putting 300+ hp or do you go autocrossing a lot?

MugsyTheGr8
05-01-2008, 08:00 AM
i want 5 lug swap, but i admit, it is kind of pointless.

Rep
05-01-2008, 08:02 AM
If you get bigger brakes out of it, yes. If it's just for 5 lugs, big ricer no.

MugsyTheGr8
05-01-2008, 08:02 AM
u should definetly do it. you cant beat the price. swapping to a base rsx 5 lug is kinda pointless unless there are a set of wheels you want and it only comes in the 5 lug pattern. the base rsx has the same (front) breaking power as your current setup. plus your really setting yourself up if you ever plan to get the infamous k20a2. i see soom many guys who get big bremo, rotora, willwood brake kits and i think to myself is your car putting 300+ hp or do you go autocrossing a lot?

brakes don't care how much hp you put out, and for auto x you never get the brakes hot enough to need a bbk. if they do track days where they do repeated hard braking from high speeds then they will help manage the heat, but i doubt alot of people with bbk are buying them for this reason.

MugsyTheGr8
05-01-2008, 08:03 AM
If you get bigger brakes out of it, yes. If it's just for 5 lugs, big ricer no.

how is that ricer?

Rep
05-01-2008, 08:12 AM
how is that ricer?
Going for 5 lugs simply to have them seems pointless to me. It doesn't serve any purpose, adds weight and is only for looks, unless there's some bizzare 5 lug only rim you're going for.

If you get bigger brakes out of the swap though, hell yeah, do it!

fugenpower
05-01-2008, 10:01 AM
brakes don't care how much hp you put out, and for auto x you never get the brakes hot enough to need a bbk. if they do track days where they do repeated hard braking from high speeds then they will help manage the heat, but i doubt alot of people with bbk are buying them for this reason.

i disagree. if you got our cars for example putting 160hp from the factory then you mod it to put out 327hp for example. that ultimately directly affects your braking. i dont know the measurements but for agruement sake like say you accelerate from 0mph to 55mph in 300ft stock, then you built it to go 87mph in 300ft your telling me that, that doesnt directly affect braking?

william
05-01-2008, 11:43 AM
i disagree. if you got our cars for example putting 160hp from the factory then you mod it to put out 327hp for example. that ultimately directly affects your braking. i dont know the measurements but for agruement sake like say you accelerate from 0mph to 55mph in 300ft stock, then you built it to go 87mph in 300ft your telling me that, that doesnt directly affect braking?

Yeah that would affect your braking, if you drive around at 87mph instead of 55mph ALL THE TIME! guess what, just becasue you install a bbk doesnt mean you can drive around 30+mph over the speed limit, you may want to argue your case to the officer pulling you over, but I doubt he will see it your way. BBK can acually lengthen the ammount of time it takes to stop, so just becasue you have 6 piston calipers, doesent mean you'll stop any better than someone with upgraded pads and rubber, or even completely stock brakes. 5 lug is nice for more wheel choice (allot more) but if you want to improve your 60 - 0, try new rubber and some more agressive brake pads.

epshtielsl
05-01-2008, 11:50 AM
The only thing a BBK will do is help dissipate heat better and help with fade when doing repeated hard breaking. Stopping power comes from how much grip your tires have. It has little to do with the actual breaks. As zzyxz (or w/e) said, "Breaks stop your wheels, tires stop the car."

Most people get a BBK for the looks, not that there's anything wrong with that. If you want increased stopping power get some better rubber, type-s breaks, SS break lines, and some nice pads. They will be more than enough for most people's needs.

MugsyTheGr8
05-01-2008, 03:09 PM
The only thing a BBK will do is help dissipate heat better and help with fade when doing repeated hard breaking. Stopping power comes from how much grip your tires have. It has little to do with the actual breaks. As zzyxz (or w/e) said, "Breaks stop your wheels, tires stop the car."

Most people get a BBK for the looks, not that there's anything wrong with that. If you want increased stopping power get some better rubber, type-s breaks, SS break lines, and some nice pads. They will be more than enough for most people's needs.
brakes, lol.
http://www.bulletfiles.com/tartje/GrammarPolice.gif

but yea i agree with your post; brakes don't decrease stopping distance.

you would just need better tires.

kwiksi
05-01-2008, 03:39 PM

You don't need 4 lug to run a A2. I have the swap in my car with 6sp tranny on 4 lug.

mrpotatohead
05-01-2008, 04:18 PM
I really appreciate all the info, and I know it will boil down to what I want to do, but would it be better to just upgrade my discs and pads and leave it alone? The kit I was looking at swapping included the axles. I do want more braking surface, I do want the 5 lug, and I just can never leave just well enough alone anyway lol. Will this change my offset?

blackbelt
05-01-2008, 07:31 PM
I have an RSX-S 5lug/brake swap and love it.

mrpotatohead
05-01-2008, 08:26 PM
did it change your offset? or will it be the same as stock?