PDA

View Full Version : DIY K24a1 Headswap????

its a ivtec
05-01-2008, 12:59 AM
didn't kno where to post so mods feel free to move this to correct location...any1 have a good detailed k24a1 headswap onto k20a3 writeup? I kno there were plenty before the crash..I can't seem to find them

superchargedk20
05-01-2008, 01:07 AM
man all those DIY's gone. we need someone just to write up tons for us. Talon..... you busy?

PAPITUYO326
05-01-2008, 01:33 AM
Its the exact same procedure as a K20a2 head swap. The best DIY guide is the helms manual. An RSX helms manual works the same and can be downloaded easily off the net.

Honestly though, youll want to at least add cams to the k24a1 head before tacking the headswap IMO. I had a k20a3 with a k24a1 headswap for about 8 months while I pieced/built my current motor, and it could have used some cams to spice it up IMO.

its a ivtec
05-01-2008, 08:25 AM
Its the exact same procedure as a K20a2 head swap. The best DIY guide is the helms manual. An RSX helms manual works the same and can be downloaded easily off the net.

Honestly though, youll want to at least add cams to the k24a1 head before tacking the headswap IMO. I had a k20a3 with a k24a1 headswap for about 8 months while I pieced/built my current motor, and it could have used some cams to spice it up IMO.

yea cams in the k24a1 head works best..but I figured a detailed/pictured DIY writeup would be best for a lot of people on here wanting to do it.. bump for sum1 providing a writeup

thechromecoyote
05-01-2008, 08:39 AM
you should always look to do valvetrain/ cam work on a head when its sitting on your bench. Its much easier to swap a head once than to go through the process only to pop it open again in a month to put new cams in.

You can wait that extra month, make it worth your while to swap.

civictype_r04
05-01-2008, 01:30 PM
you should always look to do valvetrain/ cam work on a head when its sitting on your bench. Its much easier to swap a head once than to go through the process only to pop it open again in a month to put new cams in.

You can wait that extra month, make it worth your while to swap.

I agree do it all at once then swap.

its a ivtec
05-01-2008, 02:43 PM
yes I kno its better to do the cams and things when head is out..but all I want is the physical writeup on how to swap the heads,wut tools needed and any other miscellaneous parts gaskets I might need....

davisj3537
05-01-2008, 02:51 PM
This is the best write up that you will ever find sir...just like they are telling you:boom:

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43633

MugenReplica
05-01-2008, 06:51 PM
Moved your thread to the ENGINE section.

pynikal
05-01-2008, 07:47 PM
might et flamed for asking this but im gonna anyway......:pray::pray::pray:
why is this head swap so "badass" is it the flow rate of the head? or does this head have the 3rd lobe? if its the 3rd lobe that makes it bad than forgive my n00bness. but if it is not the 3rd lobe cant you just work the a3 head over a little bit and get the same result??? with cams of course.:mcool:

its a ivtec
05-01-2008, 08:38 PM
might et flamed for asking this but im gonna anyway......:pray::pray::pray:
why is this head swap so "badass" is it the flow rate of the head? or does this head have the 3rd lobe? if its the 3rd lobe that makes it bad than forgive my n00bness. but if it is not the 3rd lobe cant you just work the a3 head over a little bit and get the same result??? with cams of course.:mcool:

well besides the head flowing better then our a3 heads..I'd say the price of it..I jus liked wut I saw in a couple of vids with another member that had the head swap and sum otha stuff done..kinda following allong the same path..

pynikal
05-02-2008, 05:40 AM
so even if i work over that a3 head it still wont be as good??? basicly im going to work it to the max open it all up 3 angle valve job.

its a ivtec
05-02-2008, 08:03 AM
as far as it not being as good.. im not too sure how each head would compare with the same mods and port job....sum1 else should chime in a bit :mconfused:

Guardian
05-02-2008, 08:20 AM
yea cams in the k24a1 head works best..but I figured a detailed/pictured DIY writeup would be best for a lot of people on here wanting to do it.. bump for sum1 providing a writeup

a service manual is a detailed/pictured DIY

its a ivtec
05-02-2008, 08:44 AM
a service manual is a detailed/pictured DIY

looks like it will have to do since no1 has the old writeup:thumb:

PAPITUYO326
05-02-2008, 01:44 PM
You could def port the a3 to match, but itd cost alot more than 150 dollars. Not to mention you risk fucking up, which could actually cost you power.

davisj3537
05-02-2008, 01:52 PM
You could def port the a3 to match, but itd cost alot more than 150 dollars. Not to mention you risk fucking up, which could actually cost you power.

Precisely! "working over" the a3 head could cost you alot more money then just swapping the head.

pynikal
05-02-2008, 04:10 PM
i have a a3 block in the garage. i just thought that if i took the head off of it and put some "good stuff" in there it would perform better than the other head swap. i wnat to do something with the motor that i have down there and this sounded like fun. :dunno: