PDA

View Full Version : Tint removal?

Dons03EP3
05-01-2008, 05:57 PM
Ok, so I searched the forum and Googled it but I was wondering if anyone has any tips for removing tint. It's pretty old and is bubbled. The back window on my CRX is bad. I can't even see out of it. Any tips from anyone who has been there would be appreciated. Thanks! :mcool:

SiN05
05-02-2008, 03:14 PM
a hot day - to help
a buddy - to point the hair dryer at the window and keep it hot
a razor blade - to start peeling
a hair dryer - keep the glue hot
goo gone - get rid of the rest of the glue
stoner's invisible glass - glass cleaner best I ever used go on tinted windows too
and patience - it takes a bit

talonXracer
05-02-2008, 03:18 PM
Pull the film off, spray the remaining tint/glue with a 50/50 mix of ammonia and water, let this sit for about 5 minutes, then use a razor blade to remove the gunk. Spray again and wipe clean. Then use your favorite window cleaner.

SICaudio
05-02-2008, 04:49 PM
Well said...

Just remember to put down the razor blade if your back glass is heated (defroster), you don't want to nick the de-froster lines. And whenever using a blade, keep the area its resting on soapy and slick.

I removed the dealer installed shit job myself, took my time and it came out perfect. Just peel it off, you'd be surprised - if it's not old it will peel off. All that remains is the glue, cover everything before spraying the ammonia/water mix and keep that blade lubed and at a right angle....

Had Huper Optik professionally installed after removing the old crap...

Good luck

Pull the film off, spray the remaining tint/glue with a 50/50 mix of ammonia and water, let this sit for about 5 minutes, then use a razor blade to remove the gunk. Spray again and wipe clean. Then use your favorite window cleaner.

Dons03EP3
05-03-2008, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm going to give it a shot as soon as I get over this flu B.S.

RON
05-03-2008, 07:57 PM
paint thinner works awesome.

sprockin
05-23-2008, 11:39 AM
Steel wool works well on the back glass to not remove the defrost lines. We used to do that when I worked at a tint shop.

3dkahuna
06-24-2008, 09:07 AM
See if you can borrow a garment steamer. That is how professional tint shops remove tint. You would use the garment steamer to heat up and apply moisture to the tint while pulling it off.