PDA

View Full Version : End the Log-On Requirement?

Mechanic
05-02-2008, 04:53 AM
Can we end the log-on requirement when all the visitor wants to do is read posted comments?

FoReVaPmP
05-02-2008, 04:56 AM
Can we end the log-on requirement when all the visitor wants to do is read posted comments?

U mean a "guest" is trying to navigate threw the site?

SinisterCivicSi
05-02-2008, 05:28 AM
yeah i am not sure i understand the issue here. are you referring to yourself, you dont wanna log in to read comments or guests (meaning they dont have an account)

theyb
05-02-2008, 05:35 AM
i think what he meant was someone without an account but still have the ability to read forums.

sort of like http://clublexus.com/forums/ , lets you read but not post without an account

FoReVaPmP
05-02-2008, 05:41 AM
i think what he meant was someone without an account but still have the ability to read forums.

sort of like http://clublexus.com/forums/ , lets you read but not post without an account

It's the same here.....:noidea::boink:

theyb
05-02-2008, 05:49 AM
it is?

i just tried on a pc that never logged in to the site and everything is marked private except for the vendor threads

SinisterCivicSi
05-02-2008, 06:17 AM
then they need an account to read those forums. must be a new setup.

cow
05-02-2008, 06:20 AM
then they need an account to read those forums. must be a new setup.
EPhatch has been a private forum since before I joined in 2005. One always had to be a member to view anything other than the vendor forums.

SinisterCivicSi
05-02-2008, 06:23 AM
when i joined in 2003, guests could view the entire forum... i apparently was a guest from sept. 02 to march 03 when i joined. i was bouncing around to and from different sites and i found the one i wanted to plant myself to. :mbiggrin:

cow
05-02-2008, 06:24 AM
when i joined in 2003, guests could view the entire forum... i apparently was a guest from sept. 02 to march 03 when i joined. i was bouncing around to and from different sites and i found the one i wanted to plant myself to. :mbiggrin:
I assume (though have no real idea) the change was instituted when the site was sold?

SinisterCivicSi
05-02-2008, 08:55 AM
I assume (though have no real idea) the change was instituted when the site was sold?

i couldnt tell you, the site was sold to Jpax many years ago, i dont recall if that was in 04 or not. since i have been a member, i dont go to the main page when i first sign on, i go straight to the forums. either way, i am guessing now, if they wanna read the hatch, they gotta join the group

Kodeen
05-02-2008, 09:00 AM
This oppression will not stand, man.

Tnhatch03
05-02-2008, 09:42 AM
why not just join?

SD_smrk1
05-02-2008, 09:59 AM
^^ agree... why give someone(A GUEST) the privellages that we have but were members.. dosent make sense IMO...

Windchaser
05-02-2008, 10:00 AM
On the 3 main forums I am on (k20a.org, s2ki, and honda-tech), you really don't have to log in to look up the threads. However, you do have to log in to search for information. On this forum, everything is set to private. I think it started back in late 2004.

Tnhatch03
05-02-2008, 10:05 AM
On the 3 main forums I am on (k20a.org, s2ki, and honda-tech), you really don't have to log in to look up the threads. However, you do have to log in to search for information. On this forum, everything is set to private. I think it started back in late 2004.

yeah...certain threads were "private". like everything except EP Discussion. Could not use the search tool.

i suggest leaving it as is. if it is that big of a deal that one does not want to contribute to the site, then do they really need to be here? why would anyone not want to join the site?

ep_hatcher_510
05-02-2008, 10:24 AM
Just log in or sign up if you want to look at the site, is not even that hard.

SyckSiR
05-02-2008, 12:24 PM
^^ agree... why give someone(A GUEST) the privellages that we have but were members.. dosent make sense IMO...

i had a friend helping me with my car a while back and i told him to check sum stuff out on here for info on the car, and he couldnt see any of the info cause he wasnt a member...i agree with the op, ppl should be able to read but not post without signing up.....wat if u had to check out the site once, does that make it worth the time it takes to sign up and then search for what ur lookin for? I dunno, just my opinion....:hungry: that guy looks like the bp kids mascot hahaha

Tnhatch03
05-02-2008, 02:13 PM
i had a friend helping me with my car a while back and i told him to check sum stuff out on here for info on the car, and he couldnt see any of the info cause he wasnt a member...i agree with the op, ppl should be able to read but not post without signing up.....wat if u had to check out the site once, does that make it worth the time it takes to sign up and then search for what ur lookin for? I dunno, just my opinion....:hungry: that guy looks like the bp kids mascot hahaha

then you give your friend your s/n and password and tell them where to look. one would have to search to find what they are looking for unless someone is on the other end telling them where to go.

lleron
05-02-2008, 02:17 PM

I kind of agree. When I was looking at cars (before I ended up with the ep) I was bouncing around a lot of different forums. If I wanted to find out one particular thing about a car it was really annoying joining a forum just to find out a little bit of information.. I also think that not logging in to view posts has a potential to draw more members, as they can see the amount of information and type of people that are here :happy:

Jpax
05-02-2008, 05:08 PM
Just log in or sign up if you want to look at the site, is not even that hard.

Great minds think alike!

:kiss:

SyckSiR
05-02-2008, 06:47 PM
then you give your friend your s/n and password and tell them where to look. one would have to search to find what they are looking for unless someone is on the other end telling them where to go.

yea, i didnt kno he couldnt see, he didnt tell me til later that he couldnt get on...i offered to give him my s/n and password but we were beyond that point lol....i had sent him direct links. Its not a big deal.....but sum ppl are REALLY lazy lol

MugsyTheGr8
05-02-2008, 07:51 PM
it can somtimes be an inconvienence when linking some one to the site when you want them to view a thread, but in most cases, the info can just be copy and pasted. not a big deal.

Mechanic
05-03-2008, 02:42 AM
Gentlemen, logging on to read posts isn't difficult, I agree. It, however, is a time-consuming nuisance to have to go through the drill when all the member (or guest) wants to do is check quickly to see or read what may be new. EPHatch is the only gearhead board I visit that requires a log on to do that. I'm just asking if it's really necessary. It's not as if we are passing nuclear codes here.