PDA

View Full Version : adding seats with side airbags

thechromecoyote
05-02-2008, 09:30 AM
My Si seats dont have side airbags, but a set of RSX-S seats Im picking up do.

I was wondering if the SRS system will function if I plug those seats in even though I dont have them stock?

I think they will, but I wanted clarification. I was under the impression that the only difference between the two si seats (non SRS and SRS) was the presence of the bag. That the system is programmed to think that there is a bag present when there is not which is why there is still an SRS plug on non SRS seats. :whistle:

but I dont know for certain and It'd be nice if someone who has done the swap could chime in. I dont mind not having them work (less bags to replace in case of impact) but it'd be nice and it'd help my insurance a little.

skoo74
05-02-2008, 09:40 AM
There were a few posts that may still be in this forum's database with more info but I have Type S seats in my EP and it doesn't throw the SRS light. I've read somewhere else that you would need to swap the Type S seat buckles for ur EP seat buckles but not it my case. It worked just by plugging it in and doing the DIY SRS reset.

Also, you probably already know this but you'll need to a spacer for one of the four bolts to hold down ur seats properly.

thechromecoyote
05-02-2008, 10:24 AM
cool. Im familiar with the physical install process, just wondering if my not having SRS seats now was going to affect the install. :mbiggrin:

talonXracer
05-02-2008, 10:28 AM
You would need to replace the entire chassis harness and SRS unit to get the side airbags to work. I didnt even consider it when I installed my 05' typeS leather seats, dont need no stinking side air bags! LOL Way too much work bro.

02_epdriver
05-02-2008, 10:37 AM
Just put the seats in and tell your insurance company you know have side air bags.

It's not like they are going to tell you to go set them off to prove you do or you don't

Kodeen
05-02-2008, 10:45 AM
Just put the seats in and tell your insurance company you know have side air bags.

It's not like they are going to tell you to go set them off to prove you do or you don't

Whether or not you have side airbags is noted in your VIN. So that won't work.

thechromecoyote
05-02-2008, 11:30 AM
Thanks Doug, straight forward as always :mbiggrin:

You can have you car reinspected by your insurance company if you make safety changes that would affect your policy. This is how, for instance, you can get discounts for aftermarket alarms in different tiers, and day time running light modules.

civictype_r04
05-03-2008, 07:16 PM

They'll know when you get in an accident and they don't go off.:doh: