PDA

View Full Version : K24a2...Yea or Nay??

56chevydan
05-02-2008, 01:15 PM
I've read a lot of the earlier posts about the K24 engines and am still intrigued about running an all motor K24a2- no supercharger, no turbo etc.

For those that are running the K24a2 what do you think?? What additions like cams etc. wakes them up a little more?

I know the K24a2 is a lower revving engine, but it has a ton of torque in the EP3 chasis. I also know the engine of choice is the K20a2 or K20z1, with or w/o turbo, but what is the consensus now about the all motor K24a2??

thechromecoyote
05-02-2008, 01:21 PM
A+ really IMO

If you can source a 2006 or later k24a2 you are getting some of the most aggressive NA OEM cams you can find in Hondas (outside the f series).

It doesnt scream into the 9000's like k20a2-z1/2/3's do, but its got tons of torque, 3 lobe vtec that engages around 5000 and responds really well to bolt ons and tuning via kpro.

chubbychu
05-02-2008, 01:32 PM
I would say, the potential for the k24a2 is where it really shines. Initially I got my k24a2 thinking that the mid-range torque was going to satisfy my need for speed. And it does when I'm just doing daily driving, but SOMETIMES, i wish it WOULD "scream into 9000rpms"

This is strictly speaking about an NA k24a2. If you want to gab a little bit about FI, then that seems to be a whole different subject that I dont know anything about.

lets just say the k24a2 is one pretty good sized step up from the k20a3.

as far as waking up the k24a2, I'm contemplating doing the RBC, CAI, and a bigger exhaust. So, youll know as soon as I do.

talonXracer
05-02-2008, 01:32 PM
The majority of swaps going on are K24 swaps, even a lowly stock K24A1 is a HUGE upgrade. Very few people are building K20 shortblocks any longer as there is no replacement for displacement.

Just pop in down in the swap section and you will find alot of info. also post up any questions.

The TSX engine really comes alive with I/H/E along with Kpro of course.

Here is my build and it will spin as high as a stock block A2 can. http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42986

blackhatchsi
05-02-2008, 01:37 PM
another good option is a K24a4 with forged internals, kpro and a k20a2 headswap. I believe you'll save some money this way and maybe put out more power. You could also use a k24a2 head if you wanted to.

chubbychu
05-02-2008, 01:37 PM
The majority of swaps going on are K24 swaps, even a lowly stock K24A1 is a HUGE upgrade. Very few people are building K20 shortblocks any longer as there is no replacement for displacement.

Just pop in down in the swap section and you will find alot of info. also post up any questions.

The TSX engine really comes alive with I/H/E along with Kpro of course.

Here is my build and it will spin as high as a stock block A2 can. http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42986

hey talon. Can i ask you? How come there is SOOOO much variety in dyno results pertaining to the RBC? I really want to get it for the k24a2 but am afraid of losing more power that i dont have already.

talonXracer
05-02-2008, 01:51 PM
hey talon. Can i ask you? How come there is SOOOO much variety in dyno results pertaining to the RBC? I really want to get it for the k24a2 but am afraid of losing more power that i dont have already.

I would only use the RBC if you are planning on stage 2+ cams. A slightly ported PRB mani would be my choice for the K24A2, I have seen alot more useable torque gains in the midrange with that mani, and still have nice gains up top. A Maxbored TB is a must.

56chevydan
05-02-2008, 01:52 PM
Hey Talon- I did see this post about the engine you're building when you first posted it. Your short block looks like it's going to be pretty stout when you're finished.

I have read through a lot of the K24 posts and am always interested in member's positive and negative feedback/impressions of the stock K24a2. If I decide to install one in my car, I'd like to keep the a2 pretty much as stock as possible with the help of the K-pro engine management.

talonXracer
05-02-2008, 01:57 PM
It will do fine with the EP3's mani and TB.(I would still consider a Maxbored TB)

chubbychu
05-02-2008, 02:05 PM
I would only use the RBC if you are planning on stage 2+ cams. A slightly ported PRB mani would be my choice for the K24A2, I have seen alot more useable torque gains in the midrange with that mani, and still have nice gains up top. A Maxbored TB is a must.

That seems like a lot of work to fit a PRB manifold onto the a2 head. not to mention the coolant port fix.

I guess the good ol' RBB manifold for the Lazy-Man's win.

talonXracer
05-02-2008, 02:25 PM
That seems like a lot of work to fit a PRB manifold onto the a2 head. not to mention the coolant port fix.

I guess the good ol' RBB manifold for the Lazy-Man's win.

You can use the PRB mani and see gains over the RBB.
Doing the coolant port fix takes a whole 15-30 minutes, or use the Hasport adaptor.

v1c10us
05-02-2008, 02:32 PM
A+ really IMO

If you can source a 2006 or later k24a2 you are getting some of the most aggressive NA OEM cams you can find in Hondas (outside the f series).

It doesnt scream into the 9000's like k20a2-z1/2/3's do, but its got tons of torque, 3 lobe vtec that engages around 5000 and responds really well to bolt ons and tuning via kpro.
I'm assuming when you say F series you're reffering to the oddball F motor in the s2k which has almost nothing in common with the F series as in the accord motors. (although I would love an f20b)

Slip_Angle
05-02-2008, 03:41 PM
I ran the PRB manifold on my K24a2 and switched to the RBB manifold. The torque was much better with the RBB and the power never dropped off up top.

Coming from someone who has personally tried both, I will never go back to the PRB.

As for the RBC, it's inferior with a basically stock K24a2 but if you do cams etc.. then it will have superior flow.

As for the K24a2, IT ROCKS.

Jpax
05-02-2008, 05:51 PM
I've read a lot of the earlier posts about the K24 engines and am still intrigued about running an all motor K24a2- no supercharger, no turbo etc.

For those that are running the K24a2 what do you think?? What additions like cams etc. wakes them up a little more?

I know the K24a2 is a lower revving engine, but it has a ton of torque in the EP3 chasis. I also know the engine of choice is the K20a2 or K20z1, with or w/o turbo, but what is the consensus now about the all motor K24a2??

I love the K24A2 its byfar the best bang for buck, the low and mid torque make up for alot instead of having a high reving k20A2. for Daily driving low and mid torque is the BEST!

I would Get the K24A2 and get a modified VTC, different Cams and you would have a VERY VERY awesome car

Lucid Moments
05-02-2008, 06:53 PM
The thing is that people will tell you that you can't rev the K24. I disagree. I've seen the math on the piston speed, and the acceleration, but I've also seen the rods and bearings that came out of my K24A2 that I was revving up to 8500. The motor can take the revs. I don't care what anyone else says, they can.

Now, it does take some work to make the induction systems (intake and exhaust both) support those kinds of revs, but with the right combination I think it can be done. We are talking aftermarket cams though and I'm not sure the OP is wanting to go that route.

Even as just a straight drop in its a great motor and I would choose it all day long over a K20.:angel:

supercivician
05-03-2008, 12:56 PM
how good is k24a2 with turbo. reliable??

thechromecoyote
05-03-2008, 01:26 PM
I'm assuming when you say F series you're reffering to the oddball F motor in the s2k which has almost nothing in common with the F series as in the accord motors. (although I would love an f20b)

you are correct sir. I meant the s2k f engine. Not the v6 accord one. :mconfused:

unreasonable
05-04-2008, 08:32 PM
I'm still on my swap high and not tuned, but let me say that k24a2 is a huge jump over stock ... part throttle driving especially. I can't imagine these things with cams and a little headwork. Wait ... maybe I can?? Must call intrinsic

az-epdrvr
05-05-2008, 05:10 AM
i want to drive stock ep to compare my k24a2 ep . from sound of it i guess there is quite a difference:confused:

02_epdriver
05-05-2008, 05:26 AM
A k24 is the way to go man.

Doug what about a PRC mani that hasn't been brought up in this conversation.

03Si757
05-05-2008, 06:35 AM
you are correct sir. I meant the s2k f engine. Not the v6 accord one. :mconfused:

I think its a F20c and in newer models F22c motor...

a_pancost
05-09-2008, 07:49 AM
K24a2 A+ imo throw the type s tranny with it and your ripping through gears

az-epdrvr
05-09-2008, 07:55 AM
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z294/kuchy1/CIMG0038.jpg

-K24a2 swapped from TSX (32k miles on motor) -6 speed RSX tranny -CTR LSD -CTR final drive gear -Hondata KPRO ECU -50 degree VTC gear -Toda flywheel -Exedy stage 1 street clutch -DC race header -HKS 2.5" full exhaust -06 SI intake manifold -Hondata intake manifold gasket -Injen MR short ram intake -Enjo motor mounts -CTR red valve cover -Sun Automobile voltage stabalizer i say yeea

yungyu kami
05-10-2008, 04:04 PM
what bout a k20a2 head with a k24a2 bottom end alot of people are tellin me to do that especially if i want to boost it

Windchaser
05-10-2008, 05:42 PM
I went with a K24A2 because I got the short block for less than $600. One of the my friends was getting shipped overseas and he wanted it out of his garage ASAP. He ended up spending the $600 on a party (4 kegs and a lot of liquor). During his drunk phase, I took advantage of him and asked about his tranny, which I got for $500 (with a burnt out first gear).

I was looking for engine that would give me good low to midrange power. As far as rev-happy engines, in auto-cross, I am never in the high rpms because it was never needed.

Danny J
08-19-2008, 09:59 AM
bring it back, bring it back.....

So from the looks of it the k24a2 pwns on the k20a2. Stock for stock. Bolt ons for bolt ons. Which is really good to hear since i really would love to have this motor. Though in my story i'm comparing this to a K20Z1. Will it be the same story and have the K24 come out on top? Stock for stock of course.

Just like the original thread starter i'm not going to boost. Keeping it NA with better internals. Since i'm going to have this car well into 2012 i figured a swap is def in my future.

shadowmd
08-19-2008, 10:04 AM
in an ep with a k24a2 and one with the k20a2, im pretty sure the k20a2 would win the straight line race. stock for stock or bolt-on for bolt-on.....i could be wrong, but.....

Lucid Moments
08-19-2008, 10:37 AM
in an ep with a k24a2 and one with the k20a2, im pretty sure the k20a2 would win the straight line race. stock for stock or bolt-on for bolt-on.....i could be wrong, but.....

It could go either way IMHO, but the K24A2 is going to be the easier engine to drive around town.

Like almost anything else it just depends on what you want. If you like to really spin a motor up then go with the K20, if you want a torquey engine go with the K24.

The K24 has more potential though. I don't care what anyone else says, there still is no replacement for displacement.

shadowmd
08-19-2008, 07:31 PM
oo yea i totally agree. the k24 will def. make WAY more power when built. but im like raz, i love revvin' out my engine

davisj3537
08-20-2008, 06:43 AM
K24a2 will win the straight line race if the drivers and mods are the same. It should be a pretty easy one to judge. The tsx makes a cunt hair less hp than the a2 but makes gobloads more tq(stock). Mod for mod the k24a2 will pick up more power per mod due to displacement. Tq wins races...hp is just for bragging. My 2 cents:mredface:

shadowmd
08-20-2008, 07:04 AM
K24a2 will win the straight line race if the drivers and mods are the same. It should be a pretty easy one to judge. The tsx makes a cunt hair less hp than the a2 but makes gobloads more tq(stock). Mod for mod the k24a2 will pick up more power per mod due to displacement. Tq wins races...hp is just for bragging. My 2 cents:mredface:

i duno bout that lol. the power delivery of each engine is different. we will find out this weekend tho! bruce (civic5lug and i are both racing at the BBQ and we both have the same bolt-ons. he is k24a2 and i am k20a2. in a straight line race, the k24 should get a slight jump but the k20 should pull top end. thats where it makes its power.

davisj3537
08-20-2008, 09:40 AM
i duno bout that lol. the power delivery of each engine is different. we will find out this weekend tho! bruce (civic5lug and i are both racing at the BBQ and we both have the same bolt-ons. he is k24a2 and i am k20a2. in a straight line race, the k24 should get a slight jump but the k20 should pull top end. thats where it makes its power.

If you guys really have the same mods and tranny then I gotta put my money on him(you sure they are the same...you have a pretty extensive mod list)...but props to you man if you take it:mcool:

shadowmd
08-20-2008, 09:51 AM
well......i have a 6spd and he has the 5......but we both have an RBC, he has a dcrh and i have the bcrh, both have catbacks (not sure what he has), both have cai's (i believe), both have kpro. both running honda cams. not sure if he is gutted. i am NOT tho. we'll see. i do kno i trap higher then him by about 4mph in the 1/4mile

davisj3537
08-20-2008, 11:06 AM
well......i have a 6spd and he has the 5......but we both have an RBC, he has a dcrh and i have the bcrh, both have catbacks (not sure what he has), both have cai's (i believe), both have kpro. both running honda cams. not sure if he is gutted. i am NOT tho. we'll see. i do kno i trap higher then him by about 4mph in the 1/4mile

Well you do have a good jump on the mods by having a 6spd and a much better header:mredface:The 6spd really waked up my car. I still think it will be close though.

shadowmd
08-20-2008, 12:14 PM
Yea the 6psd is def. gonna help. it will also def. be a good run. i do like the z3 cams in have in her right now. i hit 162wtq at like 2800rpms... :mcool:

ep3moschini
08-21-2008, 05:26 AM
bruce vs. the shadow. . . hummm. .. . bruces mods are inferior lol :mangel:

shadowmd
08-21-2008, 06:49 AM
Gonna be a good run. im stoked about it. either way, its all good :mcool: bruce is a cool dude

ep3moschini
08-21-2008, 07:01 AM
Gonna be a good run. im stoked about it. either way, its all good :mcool: bruce is a gay dude

yeah it should be a blast. .. too bad im a sucker and have to work

Slip_Angle
08-21-2008, 09:33 PM

My bet is on you winning. He's lost a bunch of torque using the RBC on the K24a2 so the motor is probably making approx the same torque as you now with less top end. :tsk:

Congrats on the win.

I would like to hear how is plays out in each gear. I too have the K24a2 and 5 speed but with an RBB.

bchaney
08-22-2008, 04:36 AM
My bet is on you winning. He's lost a bunch of torque using the RBC on the K24a2 so the motor is probably making approx the same torque as you now with less top end. :tsk:

Congrats on the win.

I would like to hear how is plays out in each gear. I too have the K24a2 and 5 speed but with an RBB.

I'd like to see you two race, RBC vs. RBB. Help me decide which to put on my k24.

Shadow have someone vid. Hopefully someone can vid all the races.

Slip_Angle
08-22-2008, 03:41 PM
I'd like to see you two race, RBC vs. RBB. Help me decide which to put on my k24.

Shadow have someone vid. Hopefully someone can vid all the races.

Well, it's proven that if your K24 is relatively stock IE: No aftermarket cams or internal changes, just IHE and even 45 VTC, then the RBC is going to net you 2-3 hp up top and lose torque/power everywhere else... See the links below for proof.

http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=27207

http://www.hondata.com/tuning_the_tsx.html

http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=31421