PDA

View Full Version : EPhatch, is this guy a shady buyer? LONG DIALOGUE

.colin
05-02-2008, 04:15 PM
So ive been trying to sling my rims for the past month and nobody has bit. So I put it on craigslist. I immediatley got this email from a dude named nate on monday. Here is what nate wrote:

Hello ,
I saw your advert on CL and i will like to know the last asking price
and if you still currently have it for sales . get back to me asap .

Regards....

Then i responded back

Hey Man,

Yeah they are still for sale. Asking price is 550, but I'm willing to budge a little. Hit up my cell 484-894-4526 if you wanna come take a look at them. I work till 3:30 tommorow so let me know if that works for you. They are still on the car so if you decide you want them, ill have to take them off.

Thanks,
Colin

Then this is when the craziness started to happen - his tone totally changed and he started making all these crazy arrangements. he responded with:

Hello,

Thanks for the prompt response, I am very glad to hear that the item
is still available for sale and I am okay with the firm price you
intend to sell the item and I will like you to know that i intend to
make an outright purchase of the item immediately and ill like you to
delete the posting of the item from the web asap.I anticipate that a
certified check or cashier's check will be issued out to you by my
bank and my secretary would have it sent out via express mail or ups
once it has been issued out to you by my bank and as for the moving my
mover will come for the pick up at your location upon your
confirmation of receiving the payment and i don't want you to look for
any other buyer.i would have love to come down for the pickup but am
not chanced to do that now but am satisfied with your description of
the item,ill instruct my bank to issue out the payment to you as soon
as i get the necessary details for the payment making and I would have
love to come down and look at the item myself and pick it up but i'm a
very busy indivdual with work and other obligations so inorder words i
have a mover that handles my shipment,they will be the one to pick up
the item from your location once the payment has been confirmed and it
would be in an overdraft that will include the shipping fees that
would be needed to have the item picked up from your location by a
prepaid local mover so ill like you to get back at me with the details
below:

1.....Full Name:
2......Address:
3.....City:
4....State:
5......Zipcode
6......Valid Phone Numbers(Both Home and Cell):

Once you get back to me with all the above, the check will be issued
out immediately and it will be sent to you .Hope to hear from you
immediately. Looking forward to your swift response.i will also be
offering you extra $50 for keeping the Item for me till the shipper
comes for the pick up.

Regards.

So I told the dude, F-that. you want them you come get them and you pay straight up cash.

Never heard back from him.

Then a few days went by and i got this email (different email address too) from another dude interested in them:

hey,
are these still available? i think they'll fit my
2005 saab 9-2x. sounds like a good deal. let me
know... email back or call me at 412-860-6090.
thanks,
jason

Then i told him they were.

Well today i get a phone call, i didn't recognize the number, it was jason's number (second interested buyer) I ask him who he was since he didn't say his name, only he said nathan (first guy). He says he wants to come see them tommorow, asking where i live and shit. So wtf is going on, i didn't give jason (the guy who called) my phone number. But the number is the number "jason" gave me but when he called he said his name was nathan. WTF is going on!!

I hope hes not some shady dude looking to come jack my ride, i told him where i lived and i had a picture of it on craigslist.

Tnhatch03
05-02-2008, 04:17 PM
that is a scam.

please do not do it.

iLLoGiCaL
05-02-2008, 04:19 PM
dude, go back to craigs list and read the scammers warning...

http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams.html

that would have saved you the headache in the first place...

.colin
05-02-2008, 04:19 PM
dude, go back to craigs list and read the scammers warning...

http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams.html

that would have saved you the headache in the first place...

yeah but the dude (whoever he is) is comming tommorow to look at them.

iLLoGiCaL
05-02-2008, 04:20 PM
why would you give someone you're address? always A-L-W-A-Y-S meet in a public place...

.colin
05-02-2008, 04:22 PM
why would you give someone you're address? always A-L-W-A-Y-S meet in a public place...

Fuck i wasn't thinking :confused:

iLLoGiCaL
05-02-2008, 04:23 PM
i put my rims on craigslist too, and got the same message you did 30 seconds after my post... i responded with a "yeah they are for sale. Where would you like to meet?" and they said "I am away on business but I will give yu an extra 50$ to hold it for me!" so i said "Okay let me know a public place in the area you would like to meet to see them?" (by now I knew better and was just trying to see how far they'd go.) and they said "I would like to send you a cashiers check" and I said "cash inm hand, you meet me alone, or no deal" and that was the last i'd heard from them.

the JigGa mAn
that sounds like some shady ass shit, thats why i dont deal with CL there are alot of creeps out there...

meet the guy at a neutral/public place...thats how i usually deal with local purchases/sales

Tnhatch03
got a gun?

lol

iLLoGiCaL
05-02-2008, 04:24 PM
Park your car down the block and camp in the house... they come don't answer. thats all... you shouldn't feel threatened, this isn't grand theft auto 4 (which i stopped playing just now to answer your questions :msmile:

iLLoGiCaL
05-02-2008, 04:25 PM
you'll be fine, just ask a lot of questions and don't accept anything but cash... now if you'll excuse me I have a thread to start about my troubles :mcry:

K-Shark
05-02-2008, 04:29 PM
damn, sounds like the guy you're dealing with falls into all those categories that CL listed as scammers.

f*ck that dude. meet him publicly face to face and bring someone along with you.

.colin
05-02-2008, 04:35 PM
well i just moved my car, usually it sits on the street so anyone could see it since i basically told him exactly where i park.

i don't feel like selling them anymore anyways hahahahha :mangel:

.colin
05-02-2008, 04:36 PM
Park your car down the block and camp in the house... they come don't answer. thats all... you shouldn't feel threatened, this isn't grand theft auto 4 (which i stopped playing just now to answer your questions :msmile:

i live in an apartment anyways

iLLoGiCaL
05-02-2008, 04:39 PM
just have someone with you and a bat handy lol :msmile:

.colin
05-02-2008, 04:44 PM
just have someone with you and a bat handy lol :msmile:

ill have a torque wrench ready

02_epdriver
05-02-2008, 04:59 PM
Swap your rims for now and be safe if you don't have a garage to put your car in.

civictype_r04
05-02-2008, 04:59 PM
Wow crazy story...... I don't deal with CL to many shady people on their.

jimmyjames
05-02-2008, 05:03 PM
Tell Jason/nathan they are sold to someone today for $600 cash and sorry.
Then start over later.
Take new pictures of them in a different setting and don't give any phone numbers until you have a definite buyer.
Just handle it via email only.
Arrange a neutral meeting place and bring a friend.

the JigGa mAn
05-02-2008, 05:07 PM
Then start over later.
Take new pictures of them in a different setting and don't give any phone numbers until you have a definite buyer.

OR just sell on ephatch!!

.colin
05-02-2008, 05:07 PM
Then start over later.

he just called today about 2 hours ago, so i doubt hes going to believe that. i should just call him up and call him out

.colin
05-02-2008, 05:10 PM
OR just sell on ephatch!!

i tried nobody wanted them

civsirmt
05-02-2008, 05:48 PM
shit man i say rob his ass

.colin
05-02-2008, 05:58 PM
so i called up the dude, and i was calling him "nathan". i told him i was busy saturday and if he wanted to come see them it would have to be sunday. i then asked him what kind of car he had again. he said "a saab". and i said, and your name is nathan? and then hes like "uhhh no, its jason" i guess nathan and jason sound the same, but i was calling him nathan. i asked him how he got my number because i didn't give it to him. he said i posted it on craiglist. sure enough i did lol.

so i guess the dudes not a scammer. im going to blow him off though cause i want to keep my rims anyways hahaha.

looks like i owned myself

jimmyjames
05-02-2008, 05:59 PM
he just called today about 2 hours ago, so i doubt hes going to believe that. i should just call him up and call him outif that's the case, either call him and say it's off or plan to meet him somewhere public and bring a friend. cash only.

koi_killa
05-02-2008, 06:35 PM
take em off and put some other rims on. call him and tell him there sold. if hes trying to steal em, he already has your address and might stop bye to see, hence why i recomend you ride sockers for a while.
and the night hes supposed to come by have a buddy over, never hurts to have backup *incase*

zee

SyckSiR
05-02-2008, 06:43 PM
Scammers always sound like they are writing their email with an ______ / English Dictionary...lol......insert eastern european or african language in the blank....

socmex7
05-02-2008, 07:23 PM
take a friend with you, when my homie bought a car off CL, i went with him, bat next to me the whole time....

Distance
05-02-2008, 07:35 PM
craigslist sucks. I've dealt with so many low ballers on there its not even funny.

koi_killa
05-02-2008, 08:23 PM
low ballers on CL are the craps. BUT i did get alot of motorcycle gear of it two years ago for very cheap. laved my life when i crashed, so i can't complain. i like craigs for low priced used goods. never ever picked up anything without a friend or two with me.

zee

shanewdude
05-02-2008, 08:31 PM
You could stop by the cop-shop and ask them if you should be worried. They may be interested in why you didn't report this if your ride gets jacked. I don't think they would mind if you asked them about this.

Fallout
05-02-2008, 09:00 PM
Everytime i've gotten a scam email like this one they always respond just like you said, "happy it's still available, happy with price". They also ask that I take the advert down. Then they start saying that they'll have a shipper come pick up the item then if you exchange emails a few times things get interesting. Next, they will say something like: "I'm out of town (not available anyway). I need my shipper to pay someone else for something. I'll give you a certified check for 1000 even though you only want 200 for it. Just give the other 800 to my shipper."

That's what i've had experience with. Fact is, Certified checks are apparently easily forged these days. You cash it at you bank and they take the money and run. Your bank catches it and you are the only one responsible for the money being paid back. Some BS for sure.

bluedevilI
05-02-2008, 09:49 PM
yup straight scam...got responses like that wen i tired 2 sell my springs and ps2

T_Virus
05-02-2008, 10:09 PM
He is a scamer...All scamer's can :censored:

jimmyjames
05-03-2008, 07:19 AM
craigslist sucks. I've dealt with so many low ballers on there its not even funny.Someone once put it rather accurately to me in another forum when I was selling a car last month. Thought it was funny.

Craigslist sucks, you have to deal with all the lowballers, "Fuck you, I don't want $500, 5 free oil changes in your cousin's garage, and a half eaten bagel for the car I am selling for $4000!"

1fast03ep
05-03-2008, 07:32 AM
I have have pretty good luck on CL, I do have one rant while we are on that subject though. I saw a Punch 75.2 amp w/ a wire kit for 15.00 (?) listed, it was at the top, and I responded to it like 3 minutes after it was posted. The guy e-mailed me back and said I was the first to respond, and that it could either be picked up at his office or home, both of which are in the city I work in (about 50 miles from my home). I told him I could not pick them up that day becaues I was at home, but I would pick them up the next day. The day I was supposed to pick them up he e-mails me saying that he had conference calls all day, and that if I wanted to I could pick them up at his home after 6:00, I let him know that it was ok about the work thing, but I couldn't be at his house at 6:00 because I was speaking at church at 7:00 in my hometown. I never got a response from him about that, so I e-mailed him the next day to find out when I could pick them up, he responds saying "sorry, someone else picked them up last night".
I think this was bad business, when I sell something on CL I will hold the item and give thye prospective buyer a chance at it before moving on to the next person. I guess that's just the difference in people.

Sorry about the threadjack, but since we were on the subject I didn't feel there was a need to open a new thread!

EPSU3
05-03-2008, 08:32 AM
dude, clearly a scam. look at the language of the responses. never once does he name the item being bought. He's not going to show up, so i wouldn't worry. Probaby not even from the area, well i can gaurentee that. No one from the burgh talks like that, but don't worry man, no one will show.

eloist2
05-03-2008, 08:51 AM
i've had great experiences buying stuff from CL.

I always make sure to do cash only, meet in a public place of my choosing, and i bring a headbuster buddy with me.

the minute someone starts talking about checks and i am out of town, and my buddy's gonna come for me...etc.

i tell them the sale's over.

it's the internet....you have to be logical about everything you do.

shanewdude
05-04-2008, 05:27 AM
There was an article in the Toronto Globe and Mail about this. Here's the link:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080501.wlcraigscrooks01/BNStory/lifeMain/home?cid=al_gam_mostview

v1c10us
05-04-2008, 05:49 PM
i always meet people at the mall cause the security guards roll around there all the time and its public and packed full of people all the time.

SinisterCivicSi
05-04-2008, 05:56 PM
shit man i say rob his ass

wtf are you talkin about??? :mrolleyes:

anyways......

yeah dont have people come to your house, thats just asking for trouble. always meet somewhere - especially now a days ,the way the economy is... desperate people go to desperate measures to survive.

and yeah, craigslist is full of dumbasses... when we were selling our rsx... the kbb list price was 12k... we were selling for 9k... i had several offers of 300, 600, even 1000.

the girl that offered 300 said she had a son she had to take to the doctor alot and would i accept 300 and she can take the car and make payments. are you serious??? GO TO EBAY B**CH!

lol ok [/endrant]

.colin
05-04-2008, 06:11 PM
met the dude at best buy. i had my torque wrench in the front seat incase he decided to get smart. lol, but the guy seemed gay from what i could tell anyways. he was legit, i dont think my rims will fit his car anyways. he didn't know ANYTHING about wheels or tires.

Rep
05-04-2008, 06:17 PM
I hate selling things. I prefer to just give things away to friends.

wil524
05-04-2008, 06:21 PM
Craigslist isn't too bad of a place to sell stuff. Just remember there is a lot of dumb-asses out there.

blackhatchsi
05-04-2008, 06:28 PM
I hate selling things. I prefer to just give things away to friends.

Hey buddy. HAHA! J/K