PDA

View Full Version : Want to get slotted rotors and new pads

siver-SI
05-02-2008, 08:57 PM
From my last post I found out my brakes are just starting to get to the wear strip. So before I do any major damage I want to get everything done. I have a 02 with 53K in the winter salt belt. I would like to auto X some time but I am not doing it right now. I also want to get some 17" rims soon.

I am thinking for a setup I would like to get slotted rotors and from looking the Hawk pads seem to be good. I am not sure if just the good Napa ones would be best. I might try and see if I can cut the rotors but for the age and millage I would so suprised. I am wondering what setup would be good. I searched but most of the info is from 04 and older and I know there is a lot more out there now.

Thanks

SyckSiR
05-02-2008, 08:59 PM
just get cross drilled rotors man....slotted leave the pads glazed and pads dont last as long neither....

miragetkg
05-02-2008, 09:00 PM
From my last post I found out my brakes are just starting to get to the wear strip. So before I do any major damage I want to get everything done. I have a 02 with 53K in the winter salt belt. I would like to auto X some time but I am not doing it right now. I also want to get some 17" rims soon.

I am thinking for a setup I would like to get slotted rotors and from looking the Hawk pads seem to be good. I am not sure if just the good Napa ones would be best. I might try and see if I can cut the rotors but for the age and millage I would so suprised. I am wondering what setup would be good. I searched but most of the info is from 04 and older and I know there is a lot more out there now.

Thanks

I just swapped mines with drilled/ slotted on all 4 wheels from irotors.com. I'm happy so far.

liquid cooled
05-02-2008, 09:09 PM
Dont get drilled rotors they do nothing and crack.

T_Virus
05-02-2008, 10:31 PM
On my last thread before the EPhatch Crash, I've decided to get the powerslot cyro's with Akebono Street Pads (was going to go with the Hawk pads but i heard they are a bit aggressive and I wanted to try something different from Hawk) & Stoptech SS Brake lines (don't know why I chose these)...I'm still waiting for 1 more rotor...We'll see how that goes...

BobSassafrass
05-02-2008, 10:46 PM
Others have tested, and many threads are out there to verify, and drilled/slotted rotors do barely anything for you in terms of performance or cooling. You're better off getting cheap blanks from autozone since they will have a larger surface area over drilled and slotted and therefore cool better. Some will say that slotted helps move gasses out but the improvement is neglible.

Unless you're getting a wilwood big brake kit or something along those lines, you're better of spending your money elsewhere. A bigger bosst would be changing out for type s rotors and calipers if you have an 04.

siver-SI
05-03-2008, 04:57 AM
I forogt to ask what is a good singe man brake bleeder tool?

I do not want drilled becuase I remember a lot of posts before the crash that they cracked.

20CiviC02Si
05-03-2008, 05:03 AM
If you are wanting brake pads for auto-x and street use, nothing better than Hawk HP+ pads. HPS are okay, but for auto-x they lack the initial bite that is much needed when racing.

Just get some blank rotors, you won't notice a difference with slotted or drilled. When racing you'll be warping them left and right anyway, so it's best to stick with a cheaper rotor.

siver-SI
05-03-2008, 05:20 AM
Well I am lucky if I will do auto X a few times in a year. I have not done it yet. When reading the reveiws on the HP+ it sounds like they are nosie and high wear and they like heat. I am wondering would the HPS be better for just a daily driver with a lot of low heat braking? I just driver around a small town for the most part and just like to have fun driving now and then.

20CiviC02Si
05-03-2008, 05:24 AM
HPS should suit your needs pretty well! But you should come up and join me at a couple events at Miller Park! There is one tomorrow if you're interested in racing! Not to mention i could possibly give you a spin in my car!

siver-SI
05-03-2008, 05:56 AM
Thanks, I just sent you a PM on the Auto X. I have had itch for racing for a while ever since they closed down the Lake Geneva track. Just will be different being the only one on the track instead of with 20+ other cars. O well qualifing lap.

BTW is there any place up in that area to get the pads? Right now it is a 40min drive to get them by around me.

Two last questions. In rotors they very from $25 to $85 each. Is there a good brand to look out for?
Also should I do the rears at the same time? I know it is something that does not HAVE to be done but not sure if there would be a bennift.

20CiviC02Si
05-03-2008, 08:20 AM
Most of your braking is done up front, so i wouldn't worry about it. As for rotors, you need to be careful with the cheaper ones. I have found out that most of the cheaper ones aren't even meant for our car. Although they say they are for our model year Civic Si, i bought some and they turned out to be 1/2" in diameter smaller than the stocks.....

Not sure what the cause of this is, but i would just either buy some Powerslot replacements for the front. They are a bit pricey, however still worth spending a little extra than getting ripped off by the dealership. Dealerships have some horrible price gouging going on with OEM rotors. I think they want like $80/rotor....

siver-SI
05-03-2008, 08:48 AM
O yea I do not want to go cheap.

I will take a look at the powerslots. Do you know of a good place to get the rotors and HPS pads at? Looking at right now I am going to have to order this online. Looks like tirerack might be the best bet. $69 a rotor and $58 for the pads. With shipping I am looking at $226.

20CiviC02Si
05-03-2008, 09:11 AM
That's a pretty decent deal! I dealt with the noise and brake dust of HP+ pads! It's not performance if you aren't giving up some streetability!

siver-SI
05-03-2008, 09:29 AM
Well I guess I will to hear what they sound like tomorrow to make up my mind. I might go for the + pads if the sound is not that bad.

20CiviC02Si
05-03-2008, 09:40 AM
I don't have the HP+ pads anymore. I use Wilwood Compound A Full Race pads now. My girlfirend (MidnightRacer59) has HP+ pads on her car now though.

chuck83
05-03-2008, 09:54 AM
you can get brembo blanks at napa now

siver-SI
05-03-2008, 10:06 AM
yea I called napa they were $69 each for what they called their good ones. The power slots are just about the same.

MidnightRacer59
05-03-2008, 10:21 AM
I am sporting Powerslot front rotors, stock rear rotors and hawk HP+ pads all around on my ride. I love them and highly recommend them! They are 10X better than stock IMO!

siver-SI
05-03-2008, 11:21 AM
I am sporting Powerslot front rotors, stock rear rotors and hawk HP+ pads all around on my ride. I love them and highly recommend them! They are 10X better than stock IMO!

How are the HP+ working for you with sound? I do not mind a metalic sound when driving a truck but not that much on a car.

rd02SiR
05-03-2008, 03:13 PM
on the powerslot web site it says the powerslot plus don't fiit the canadian SiR, why is that?

MidnightRacer59
05-03-2008, 03:30 PM
How are the HP+ working for you with sound? I do not mind a metalic sound when driving a truck but not that much on a car.

They are a bit noisy upon braking. Not too bad, just a bit of squeaking. I expected it though. But that is common with aftermarket pads like these.

siver-SI
05-03-2008, 03:40 PM
on the powerslot web site it says the powerslot plus don't fiit the canadian SiR, why is that?

I was wondering that to. When I called up Napa they checked with me to make sure it was not the canadian market one.

siver-SI
05-03-2008, 03:41 PM
They are a bit noisy upon braking. Not too bad, just a bit of squeaking. I expected it though. But that is common with aftermarket pads like these.

Is it when you just first get on your brakes or is it though out the full stop?

rd02SiR
05-03-2008, 05:38 PM
I was wondering that to. When I called up Napa they checked with me to make sure it was not the canadian market one.

is there any diffrence? is there one available for the Canadian SiR?

siver-SI
05-03-2008, 06:01 PM
Napa could not tell me.

20CiviC02Si
05-03-2008, 06:55 PM
is there any diffrence? is there one available for the Canadian SiR?
It goes by model year. The SiR and Si are the same. So whatever model year you have it will be the same model year as the USDM Si.

chuck83
05-03-2008, 07:23 PM
yea I called napa they were $69 each for what they called their good ones. The power slots are just about the same.

you have to ask for the brembo's. we just started carrying them. if you go with napa's brand these are the main differences

cheap:
made in china/taiwan/some 3rd world country, short warranty 6 months or 12 months i can't remember

good:
lifetime warranty, also covers warping
the hat and outter edge of the rotor is coated black to prevent rust on the edge and on the hat
made in usa or canada 90% of the time
made to 100% oe-spec, application specific

MidnightRacer59
05-03-2008, 07:51 PM
Is it when you just first get on your brakes or is it though out the full stop?

usually when/during the stop during normal stopping. During hard braking, it's not so squeeky, but you can hear the rotors gripping the pads.

The sound isn't really all that annoying IMO. :mwink: I rather enjoy it, espeically the sound of the brakes under hard braking!

MidnightRacer59
05-03-2008, 07:55 PM
It goes by model year. The SiR and Si are the same. So whatever model year you have it will be the same model year as the USDM Si.

Sneaky SOBs. :meek:

siver-SI
05-09-2008, 09:20 PM

OMG I installed my brakes tonight with Motul RBF 600 amd I can not belive how much better my EP is with just a front brake upgrade.

I also installed my engine dampaner and front strut bar and I am not sure where my EP went but I love the ones I just got swapped to. It feels like a whole new car.

I went down a back road to do the brake in on my brakes and was in where they were building a new houses so no lights and the road is not marked and all black dirt by the road side. Well all most missed a corner and had to brake hard like I needed to but had to also turn and I could!!!!

Saturday I could not do this. I pushed like a truck. I think I also boiled my fluid on Saturday. I went to bleed my brakes and got to my right rear and opend the bleeder and nothing was coming out with my pump. I had to get into my car to pump the brakes and they turned rock hard even with the bleeder open. The 4th pump I finaly went to the floor. Went to the back of the car and in my clear line I saw a varnish like junk just filled in the line. Took about two bottles to clear out my system.

BTW if you can not tell I am so happy right now. I feel like I just got a new car for about $600. :roll::clap2::clap2: