PDA

View Full Version : blown stock shocks???

civic hatch boi
11-10-2002, 01:13 AM
i need help guys!!! when i go over speed bumps, it's ok for the front side passengers, including me(driver) but whenever someone sits in the back, they say it's really realy bad!! like they fly up.. is this normal? im thinking maybe my stock shocks are blown somehow??? any help?

02SilverSiHB
11-10-2002, 11:00 AM
how fast are you going over the speed bump?
Also if you think it is blown, look under neath and look at your shocks, if you see oil coming from the shocks, they're blown

civic hatch boi
11-10-2002, 12:09 PM
i go over the bumps really slow.. like 2mph... damnit

DocofMind
11-10-2002, 12:11 PM
What kind of springs are you running and how many miles do you have on your car.

Go out to your car and push down on every corner, feel the response.

civic hatch boi
11-10-2002, 12:12 PM
my whole car is stock, haven't touched it... and i have 3.4K miles

Type X
11-10-2002, 12:14 PM
trailing arm and rear shock

read my post with

ME Vs the service dept

they fixed it. . .

and its common on the 02 si and the 01 and 02 sedan
not really the coupe

- Mike

civic hatch boi
11-10-2002, 12:26 PM
if you guys haven't had passengers, i suggest you have some people ride in the back and go over bumps.. it sucks man! like everyone flies up! i thought it was normal, i guess it's not...

JSIR
11-10-2002, 01:58 PM
my son (1.5 years old) and wife sit back there 100% of the time, never any complaints from them and we've taken some pretty big speed bumps at places I frequent often. It was fine with stock setup and now with Eibach Pro-kits.

Sounds like you have way too much rebound on the stocks or maybe some other problem as listed above.

civic hatch boi
11-10-2002, 02:42 PM
damnit.. wut could it be guys? any help could be good...

Feng
11-10-2002, 04:35 PM
your fine, it does that, there is more weight in the front with the engine and you and there isn't muchin the back, so it does that, all hatch does that, just go slower. its fine nothing is wrong with your shocks.

civic hatch boi
11-10-2002, 05:09 PM
they why does jsir's family feel fine going over bumps.. but all my friends complain and jump in the air? and i go over bumps slowly.. really slow.. and it still does that.

tmd96
11-10-2002, 06:11 PM
My brother's base RSX does that also. Very unsettling over rough surfaces. I was under the impression that it's the characteristic of these compact double-wishbone suspension that Honda designed in order to save space. Can anyone confirm this? I've driven both and if it's any comfort to know, the Si is actually less bumpy than the RSX from what I can feel from the seat of my pant.

Brettnyt
11-10-2002, 06:37 PM
I think its normal. The same thing happens with my sisters 7th gen civic coupe when I sit in the back. Its a bitch goin over bumps with stuff in the trunk (IE backpacks and other large items) My guess is that the suspension throughout the Honda Car line would be fairly similar, so unless my sister's car has a problem also, I bet the rough ride is normal.

Feng
11-10-2002, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by civic hatch boi
they why does jsir's family feel fine going over bumps.. but all my friends complain and jump in the air? and i go over bumps slowly.. really slow.. and it still does that.

sheeett i don't know...j/k, bring it to your dealer and have them look at it.

JSIR
11-10-2002, 11:28 PM
that could be a subjective feeling, everyone is a bit different when it comes to things like that. I know when I take speed bumps I basically come to a stop - or very close to it- put the front wheels over top, move forward and slow down again, and then put the rear wheels overtop. My wheels are basically rolling over the speed bump from a position that is very close to being stopped, rather than my wheels hitting the speed bump at any speed.

!@#$%
11-11-2002, 10:52 AM
my 01 civic coupe was like that. i havent really noticed any bounciness in the si, maybe b/c nobody has ever ridden in the back seat. the seat belts have never been unbuckled. :D

chunky
11-11-2002, 12:03 PM
i've noticed that in general, the ep's & rsx have stiffer rear springs & shocks than most previous hondas. Add to that the fact that they are nose heavy, and you get a bumpy rear ride until the rear is loaded down.