PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Oil Pan Gasket, Question

03Si757
05-03-2008, 11:51 AM
Ok, well its saturday so hondas parts store is closed, and Iv come to realize that my oil pan is leaking around the passanger side of the oil pan, So iv decided to try to replace the Gasket, now it calls for honda part P/N 08718-0009 (Honda Ultra FLange II) But like I said its Saturday, and I cant wait till Monday for the fix, So instead, Iv decided to try a store bought liquid gasket. What type should I use, I already have a tube of Permatex Ultra Grey RTV Silicone Gasket Maker, should this be good enough?

talonXracer
05-03-2008, 12:12 PM
On the back of the permatex pkgs it says what types of sealant they replace. I have used the ultra grey before and it is ok.

Remember that you have to remove ALL traces of the old sealant, you need to be down to bare aluminum with no traces of oil resiue when you apply the new sealant. You will need to drop the subframe to drop the oil pan.

JP_909
05-03-2008, 02:13 PM
On the back of the permatex pkgs it says what types of sealant they replace. I have used the ultra grey before and it is ok.

Remember that you have to remove ALL traces of the old sealant, you need to be down to bare aluminum with no traces of oil resiue when you apply the new sealant. You will need to drop the subframe to drop the oil pan.

+1 :mcool:

jeenyusss
05-03-2008, 02:52 PM
there use to be a good write up on taking of the oilpan before the epcrash happened. oh well, its not to bad, gl!

03Si757
05-03-2008, 02:56 PM
im having fun just tryna get the pan to come off, that gasket shyt is holding it tight, i dont have that tool for it, do they sell it in auto part stores?

jeenyusss
05-03-2008, 03:00 PM
i dont think so

i remember someone tried to buy the seal cutter from honda and they wont sell you it

i kinda uses a flathead screwdriver and worked my way around it

anyone else have a hint/secret?:drum:

03Si757
05-03-2008, 03:23 PM
Yes, anyone????? Im afraid to mess up the oil pan.

beechstreet
05-03-2008, 03:26 PM
ive done a couple oil pans/tranny pans on different cars and have used something similar to this to pry off the pan, plus scrape the old sealant off. The one i use is a bit more sturdy though:

http://www.dkimages.com/discover/previews/827/807074.JPG

03Si757
05-03-2008, 03:27 PM
ive done a couple oil pans/tranny pans on different cars and have used something similar to this to pry off the pan, plus scrape the old sealant off:

http://www.dkimages.com/discover/previews/827/807074.JPG

I hadnt thought about that good deal :thumb:

beechstreet
05-03-2008, 03:28 PM
dont mean to threadjack, but is dropping the subframe the only way to get the oil pan off? i remember reading that you have to

talonXracer
05-03-2008, 03:31 PM
Yeah you have to drop the subframe, otherwise the pan will not clear the oil pump.

beechstreet
05-03-2008, 03:32 PM
Yeah you have to drop the subframe, otherwise the pan will not clear the oil pump.

thought so. thank you!

dobbs02si
05-03-2008, 03:42 PM
I used the perma grey on mine and it works perfect, and that was 3 years ago. And yes the s/f has gotta go down..I tried for over an hour to no avail lol. Damn k's, if it was a D it would fall off in your hand haha

03Si757
05-04-2008, 06:43 AM
Ya, I had to drop the subframe after all, and it looks to be a complete female dog to put back in, I remember accidently dropping it more then I should when I installed the ESMM's and man it was not fun putting back in.

dobbs02si
05-04-2008, 02:14 PM
Ya, I had to drop the subframe after all, and it looks to be a complete female dog to put back in, I remember accidently dropping it more then I should when I installed the ESMM's and man it was not fun putting back in.

Drop it 4 more times and youll be good at it lol. Its nothing now, I just dont like doing it.

03Si757
05-04-2008, 02:25 PM
Drop it 4 more times and youll be good at it lol. Its nothing now, I just dont like doing it.

Ya forreal.

nightbear
05-04-2008, 04:42 PM
woah woah woah do not use a flat head and go around it, u dont wanna make any scratches on the oil pan or the aluminum part on the car, there are prying tabs. Also use honda bond HT to seal it up its the shit, theres no gasket. uhhhh anddd u can use a razor blade to go around carefully to get off the old honda bond. Also get a like brass scrapper thinggy for ur like electric drill or the green pad for ur impact gun and rub off all that crap off the oil pan (the honda bond) make sure its mad clean, then use a razor blade and clean off the alluminum be careful not to scratch it. then use honda bond on the oil pan and push thatjanks on, when u bolt it back on,u wanna do opposite ends like one screw here the other on the other side until u get the whole thing around, then tighten all the way(u want it to go on perfectly straight. dont mess up cuz u only get 1 try

03Si757
05-04-2008, 06:27 PM
woah woah woah do not use a flat head and go around it, u dont wanna make any scratches on the oil pan or the aluminum part on the car, there are prying tabs. Also use honda bond HT to seal it up its the shit, theres no gasket. uhhhh anddd u can use a razor blade to go around carefully to get off the old honda bond. Also get a like brass scrapper thinggy for ur like electric drill or the green pad for ur impact gun and rub off all that crap off the oil pan (the honda bond) make sure its mad clean, then use a razor blade and clean off the alluminum be careful not to scratch it. then use honda bond on the oil pan and push thatjanks on, when u bolt it back on,u wanna do opposite ends like one screw here the other on the other side until u get the whole thing around, then tighten all the way(u want it to go on perfectly straight. dont mess up cuz u only get 1 try

Thanks man, this will be usefull for someone that needs or wants to do this in the future, I did it earlyer today and so far so good, but it didnt fix my leaking problem, I believe the leaking is coming fromt he front main seal behind the crank pully.

SinisterCivicSi
05-04-2008, 06:45 PM
yeah i was gonna suggest the flatheat and gentle movements (preferably a friend with another flathead and you work on opposite ends, it pops off with little effort (or at least mine did). and yeah razor blade old seal off, but the leaks not coming from there... ok... check your sensors back there. i had an oil pressure switch leak a little.

keep us posted, and think about replacing the orings and gaskets that go with whatever is leaking. keep an eye on your oil level, as i am sure you know. i have a leak also so i feel your pain.

jimmyjames
05-04-2008, 06:50 PM
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44131

The permatex equivalent for ultraflange II is Permatex's "The right stuff for imports"

03Si757
05-04-2008, 06:50 PM
yeah i was gonna suggest the flatheat and gentle movements (preferably a friend with another flathead and you work on opposite ends, it pops off with little effort (or at least mine did). and yeah razor blade old seal off, but the leaks not coming from there... ok... check your sensors back there. i had an oil pressure switch leak a little.

keep us posted, and think about replacing the orings and gaskets that go with whatever is leaking. keep an eye on your oil level, as i am sure you know. i have a leak also so i feel your pain.

Ya, i need to check the crank sensor aswell as oil is built up near that, but im almost sure its the front main seal. Atleast im hoping, im just not looking forward to that god for saken crank bolt. what is it on there at like 300 ft lbs? LOL

v1c10us
05-04-2008, 09:28 PM
i used my drill with a scotch bright surface conditioning disc, the "blue" one, to get the sealant off
its abrasive component is aluminum oxide, and as far as my experience goes you need a harder material to scratch something, and i wasnt pushing all that hard so i wasnt worried about sanding the pan or anything.
worked great

talonXracer
05-05-2008, 05:03 AM
I NEVER use a scraper, razor blade or screwdriver to remove the old sealant. It can cause scratches that will leak in most cases.

USE a rotary scotchbrite pad or a piece of scotchbrite by hand, AND then the surface must be cleaned with thinner/prep-sol.

The reason why all old sealant MUST be removed is that new sealant WILL NOT ADHERE to old sealant, and any old sealant will create a gap.

nightbear
05-05-2008, 07:13 AM
actually the best sealant to use is hondabond HT make sure its the HT one, trust me ive tried everything and HT is the best the other crap doesnt seal anywhere nearly as nice as HT does. i say use it on everything!

nightbear
05-05-2008, 07:14 AM
oh yea the reason why you can use a brass fitting is cuz it is not as hard as the metal on ur oil pan so itl just take off the paint but wont damage the oil pan, itl make it real clean faster unless u wana scrape all day carefully

davisj3537
05-05-2008, 07:22 AM
Uh....maybe I'm misunderstanding you guys but you don't have to remove the subframe. You just loosen the back bolts and remove the front. You don't have to pull that hoe completely off:mconfused:

03Si757
05-05-2008, 07:25 AM
I just used my finger nails lol.

talonXracer
05-05-2008, 09:03 AM
actually the best sealant to use is hondabond HT make sure its the HT one, trust me ive tried everything and HT is the best the other crap doesnt seal anywhere nearly as nice as HT does. i say use it on everything!

Do not use HT on the Kseries, HT will eventually leak like a sieve. Use UltraFlangeII only part# 08718-0009, it is the recommended sealant for the Kseries FROM HONDA. HT is not meant for a stress bearing engine assembly.

nightbear
05-05-2008, 09:03 PM
are u sure? HT works like a charm for me, it works for everyone else i know too.

v1c10us
05-05-2008, 09:08 PM
\
USE a rotary scotchbrite pad or a piece of scotchbrite by hand, AND then the surface must be cleaned with thinner/prep-sol.

thats what i use

Falcon7
05-05-2008, 11:55 PM
Alright, I'm going to put this Ultra Flange vs. Hondabond stuff to rest.

I posted this in Jimmyjames' thread earlier tonight:

Hondabond and Ultraflange can be used interchangeably on the oil pan, cam chain case, auto-tensioner case, etc.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d126/BAFernandez/HB-1.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d126/BAFernandez/HB-2.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d126/BAFernandez/HB-3.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d126/BAFernandez/HB-4.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d126/BAFernandez/HB-5.jpg

These pictures are taken from my 04-06 TSX Helm Manual and a Hyper Rev Vtec Tune.

talonXracer
05-06-2008, 05:29 AM
All of my Helms manuals have only the one recommended sealant, 08718-0009 UltraFlangeII, even my TSX manual has just the one sealant listed.

Falcon7
05-06-2008, 07:13 AM
This is the TSX Helm Manual that I bought brand new from Helm Inc. maybe a month or two ago:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d126/BAFernandez/HB-6.jpg

This is where I got the information about the interchangeable part numbers.

03Si757
05-06-2008, 09:48 AM
I mean though, on an oil pan, im sure there really is not a noticable difference between them, im sure they all do just about the same (WAY OVER NEEDED FOR THE APPLICATION) All this stuff is made better then it needs to be made.