PDA

View Full Version : help! cant get rotors off

TheAmericanStig
05-03-2008, 12:02 PM
i got the two retaining screws out, but i cant get the rotor off! there is a lip on the center hub that seems to be holding the rotor on. Do I have to somehow take that off??

MugsyTheGr8
05-03-2008, 12:08 PM
more than likely its a rust ring inside the rotor. thats what happened when i tried taking mines off. alot of rust cutter/wd-40, a soft face mallet, and a pry bar is how i got mines off.

talonXracer
05-03-2008, 12:26 PM
Tap the rotor with a sledge hammer. That is just rust holding it on.

JohnnyTavo
05-03-2008, 12:50 PM
just kick it yo!

dtt02278
05-03-2008, 01:50 PM
just kick it yo!

hahahha... go for it...

MOOGEN
05-03-2008, 02:08 PM
find 2 long 10mm screw and screw it into the two holes that you see on the rotors surface. these will pry the rotors out. If you don't have any screw than just use a rubber mallot and hit that bish!

TheAmericanStig
05-03-2008, 07:07 PM
find 2 long 10mm screw and screw it into the two holes that you see on the rotors surface. these will pry the rotors out. If you don't have any screw than just use a rubber mallot and hit that bish!

lol we did that and the rotor started to crack. Luckilly my friend had access to liquid nitrogen, so we froze that bitch and cracked it off piece

NEW PROBLEM!

can not get new pads to fit into new rotors. I got em at pep boys. They are the green stuff pads. And I checked double checked and triple checked that they are the right size. How do i get dem bitches in? Is it better to mount the caliper, and put them on from the outised, or to take hte caliper off and put them on from inside??

It sux when your cars broke.

chuck83
05-03-2008, 07:15 PM
you might need to get a c-clamp or a piston spreader so you can push the caliper piston into the caliper, it sounds like thats why your pads arent fitting over the rotor

metalviper
05-03-2008, 07:18 PM
the pistons prollly need to be pushed in. use a c calmp on the front piston in the caliper and tighten it until it is flush with the caliper. the rears need to be tightened like a screw. i used a crowbar, it was easier. and yes take the caliper off to put the brake pads in. i dont know how you can put the brake pads in with out unbolting the caliper, let alone replace the rotor!

jerseyjew
05-03-2008, 08:31 PM
The techniques mentioned are good ones. When replacing both rotors and pads at the same time it is going to be a very tight fit. You will need to ensure that the pistons in the calipers are pushed all the way in and you may have to leave out the metal shims for the first couple hundred miles.

mustclime
05-03-2008, 08:43 PM
Do your self a huge favor......open the bleeder screw when you press the pistions in....this will get rid of the old water soaked brake flued....:mwink:

JohnnyTavo
05-03-2008, 10:33 PM
why don't you just go ahead and flush the fluid with some super blue or something while you are at it, if not have some fun bedding those bitches in

D3xn2o
05-03-2008, 10:54 PM
Sounds like you need a nice big old C Clamp to push your pistons in and a BFH

Dont forget the Rear pistons are screw type dont force them in you need to screw them in...

jimmyjames
05-04-2008, 06:47 AM
Do your self a huge favor......open the bleeder screw when you press the pistions in....this will get rid of the old water soaked brake flued....:mwink:This is easiest, open the bleeder screw and pushing the piston in is a breeze.